A Little Girl Died Because Canada Chose Cultural Sensitivity Over Western Medicine


B00Mer
#1
A Little Girl Died Because Canada Chose Cultural Sensitivity Over Western Medicine



n Monday, Makayla Sault, an 11-year-old from Ontario and member of the Mississauga tribe of the New Credit First Nation, died from acute lymphoblastic leukemia after suffering a stroke the previous day. This would normally not be big news in Canada or the U.S.—except for the fact that Makayla's death was probably preventable and thus unnecessary.

Makayla died not only from leukemia, but from faith—the faith of her parents, who are pastors. They not only inculcated her with Christianity, but, on religious grounds, removed her from chemotherapy to put her in a dubious institute of “alternative medicine” in Florida. At the Hippocrates Health Institute in West Palm Beach, Makayla was treated with a combination of raw food, vitamin C injections, and “cold laser therapy,” none of which have been shown to have the slightest effect on leukemia. (The Institute is being sued by former staff for operating a “scam.”) Her doctors say that if she had stayed on chemotherapy and standard treatment, she would have had a 75 percent chance of survival.

Makayla went off chemotherapy because the Canadian government and its child protective services refused to override the parents’ and child’s wishes to discontinue treatment; after supposedly having a vision of Jesus while in the hospital, Makayla had become convinced that chemotherapy was killing her. Indeed, after she died the family blamed the chemotherapy, claiming in a statement that “Makayla was on her way to wellness, bravely fighting toward holistic well-being after the harsh side-effects that 12 weeks of chemotherapy inflicted on her body. Chemotherapy did irreversible damage to her heart and major organs. This was the cause of the stroke.” This is a self-serving falsehood. Makayla’s oncologist says that she had a relapse of the leukemia, and that’s what killed her. Strokes are not uncommon in lymphoblastic leukemia because the disease increases the viscosity of the blood. That, not chemotherapy, is what caused her death.

In an eerily similar case, J. J., another 11-year old First Nations child with leukemia, and also from Ontario, refused chemotherapy in favor of alterative treatment. (She too was treated at the Hippocrates Health Institute.) In all likelihood J. J. will also die, since untreated lymphoblastic leukemia is fatal. In her case, the courts got involved, but a judge rejected the application of her hospital in Hamilton to have the Children’s Aid Society intervene and continue her chemotherapy. Judge Gethen Edward, in imposing what was in effect a death sentence, ruled, "I cannot find that J.J. is a child in need of protection when her substitute decision-maker has chosen to exercise her constitutionally protected right to pursue their traditional medicine over the Applicant's stated course of treatment of chemotherapy."

And that is the problem—a problem that makes the law and the Canadian government complicit in Makayla’s death. The so-called “right to pursue traditional medicine” is simply an unwarranted respect for faith, a “right” to impose the religious or superstitious beliefs of parents on their young, indoctrinated, or unreflective children. It is the “right” to harm children in the name of faith. And that “right” doesn’t exist for parents who simply impose quack cures on their children, for those parents can be jailed for child abuse, negligence, or even manslaughter.

The problem exists in the U.S. as well. According to the National District Attorney Association, 38 of our 50 states have religious exemptions for child abuse written into their codes of civil law, another 15 provide such exemptions for criminal misdemeanors, 17 have exemptions for felony crimes, and five (Idaho, Ohio, Iowa, West Virginia, and Arkansas) have exemptions for manslaughter or murder. In other words, if you kill or injure your child by withholding medical care on religious grounds, it’s difficult to prosecute you—much more difficult than if you did the same thing without religious reasons. And even when prosecutions of religious parents occur, judges and juries are reluctant to convict, or they impose only light sentences—sometimes probation without supervision. This is part of the unconscionable and unwarranted respect for faith that permeates our nation, and it’s caused the death of thousands of children.

In Canada’s case, the government’s easygoing approach to religiously-motivated child neglect is an ill-advised attempt to make up for past misdeeds. The Canadian government has often treated its indigenous people horribly, including taking children from their family and sticking them in special residential “Indian schools” where they were forbidden to use their language or learn about their culture, and where they were often horribly abused.

Since then, Canada has made a number of accommodations to the people of the First Nations. But in the cases of Makayla Sault and J. J., they’ve gone too far, for they’ve failed to remove children from their homes when they should have. In refusing to insist on modern medical treatment for these First Nations children, the government is complicit in the death of one girl and likely another.

Perhaps the most odious part of this whole tragedy is that the Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ) has endorsed Makayla’s alternative treatment, making themselves complicit in any future deaths of this kind. On the same day Makayla died, an editorial appeared in that journal arguing that doctors must respect the desire of parents to substitute “native” medicine for scientific medicine. (Never mind that cold-laser treatment and vitamin therapy are hardly traditional medicines of Canada’s First Nations.) In “Caring for Aboriginal patients requires trust and respect, not courtrooms,” authors Dr. Lisa Richardson, a specialist in internal medicine and co-leader of Toronto’s Office of Indigenous Medical Education, and Dr. Matthew Stanbrook, deputy editor of CMAJ, succumb to the worst impulses of multiculturalism, writing, "To make medical treatment acceptable to our Aboriginal patients, the health care system must earn their trust by delivering respect. We must ensure that our Aboriginal patients, their families and communities feel welcome, are comfortable self identifying as Aboriginal and do not fear judgment based on stereotypes."

I'm all for respecting patients, but the article goes on to claim:

Medical science is not specific to a single culture, but is shared by Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people alike. Most Aboriginal people seek care from health professionals — but nearly half also use traditional medicines. Aboriginal healing traditions are deeply valued ancestral practices that emphasize plant-based medicines, culture and ceremony, multiple dimensions of health (physical, mental, emotional and spiritual), and relationships between healer, patient, community and environment. These beliefs create expectations that Aboriginal patients bring to their health care encounters; these must be respected. Doing so is not political correctness — it is patient-centred care.

No, it’s not patient-centered care; it’s culture-centered care, meant to treat a culture rather than the sick. And it’s political correctness of the worst stripe: a form that can be fatal. It is kowtowing to false beliefs for fear of offending an ethnic minority.

It sickens me that two prominent Canadian physicians endorse “alternative medicine” because modern medicine causes distrust in some native peoples. Makayla would be alive today, and J. J. might survive, if only Canadian physicians, jurists, and bureaucrats could overcome their fear of looking like bigots.

To any reasonable person, the lives of children trump faith, religious or otherwise. It’s time to eliminate these exemptions to medical care, and to place the blame for these children’s deaths where it belongs: not just on the disease, but on the faith that seduces parents into abjuring scientific medicine and that also cows governments and doctors from insisting on proper medical treatment, for fear of giving offence.

source: Canada Lets Makayla Sault Die of Leukemia Over Religious Sensitivity | The New Republic
 
petros
+1 / -1
#2
Shoot the parents.
 
Walter
-3
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Shoot the parents.

No, just sterilize them.
 
darkbeaver
+3 / -1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

No, just sterilize them.

Just start them on Chemo, thier death would be agonizing, and you could enjoy it for months.

WTF is western medicine? ======= A cash grab devoid of any purpose other than to suck the money our of the victims and thier families while they are at thier most vulnerable. Medicine in the west is a major cause of death and disease. One of if not the worst example of capitalist crime where continuation ofdisease and maximum patient dependency upon exotic potions are factored in for no verified reason other than to increase profit and fatten the books of murderers and thieves. Western medicine is a crime against humanity.
Last edited by darkbeaver; Nov 3rd, 2015 at 09:41 AM..
 
EagleSmack
+3
#5
They must have forgot to rub cannabis oil on her as was suggested in here.
 
darkbeaver
#6
F off fool
 
EagleSmack
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

F off fool

Still salty?
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1 / -1
#8
Do we blame Muslims, Trudeau, or Obama for this?

Aw, heck, why not all of 'em?
 
EagleSmack
+2
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Do we blame Muslims, Trudeau, or Obama for this?

Aw, heck, why not all of 'em?

How about putting the blame where it belongs?
 
Cliffy
+3 / -3
#10
The OP is bigoted and many of the responses are too; white superiority in medication, technology, intellect. Brainwashing is strong with this crowd.
 
captain morgan
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

How about putting the blame where it belongs?

There's no money that can result from a law suit in that
 
darkbeaver
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

How about putting the blame where it belongs?

I just did that fool.
 
EagleSmack
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

I just did that fool.

I wasn't talking to you FOOL. And who gives a sh*t what you did FOOL.

You're such a salty dumb azz Beav. Are you getting all upset at Russia and Iran getting beat in Syria? lol
 
Cliffy
+2 / -2
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

The OP is bigoted and many of the responses are too; white superiority in medication, technology, intellect. Brainwashing is strong with this crowd.

Wally, getting a red from a mental midget like you is an honour.
 
captain morgan
+3
#15
I just love how you managed to turn this issue into one of white bigotry and racism.

I suppose that it goes the distance in the old argument that when you don't have a point to make, holler 'racism'
 
EagleSmack
+5
#16  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

I just love how you managed to turn this issue into one of white bigotry and racism.

I suppose that it goes the distance in the old argument that when you don't have a point to make, holler 'racism'

He tried to at any rate.

The fact of the matter is the tribal medicine failed. It was quackery and the death is on the hands of those FNs who used this girl as a political statement.

Now she is dead because of superstitious idiots.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+3
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

I just love how you managed to turn this issue into one of white bigotry and racism.

I suppose that it goes the distance in the old argument that when you don't have a point to make, holler 'racism'

I guess it begs the question -- does the life of the kid belong to the state or the parents or the cultural group or the kid him/herself? Who has final say?
 
DaSleeper
+2
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

I just love how you managed to turn this issue into one of white bigotry and racism.

I suppose that it goes the distance in the old argument that when you don't have a point to make, holler 'racism'

That's his shtick!
If it was a jehovah witness refusing a transfusion, you wouldn' hear a peep out of him or anyone else if the government intervened.....Ater all it's only a chiristian religion that is trumped

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/girl-s...court-1.858660
Last edited by DaSleeper; Nov 3rd, 2015 at 10:12 AM..
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

That's his shtick!
If it was a jehovah witness refusing a transfusion, you wouldn' hear a peep out of him or anyone else if the government intervened.....Ater all it's only a chiristian religion that is trumped

Girl's forced blood transfusion didn't violate rights: top court - Canada - CBC News

The rules should apply equally to everybody. But does the state have the right to override the wishes of the parents in any case?
 
darkbeaver
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

I wasn't talking to you FOOL. And who gives a sh*t what you did FOOL.

You're such a salty dumb azz Beav. Are you getting all upset at Russia and Iran getting beat in Syria? lol

You should be told to F off every morning as a good start to the day. You accessment of the miltary situatio in the ME is hopefull speculation. Are you the right age for recall? It matters not anyway, a desperate nation will press you into service anyway. Maybe you can man a shore battery.

Or collect aluminium pots and pans.
 
petros
#21
Hiyayiyayi

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

The rules should apply equally to everybody. But does the state have the right to override the wishes of the parents in any case?

Yup but it would be deemed "stealing our FN children".
 
skookumchuck
+2
#22
I had five bypasses a couple years back. Barely survived, but i would have been totally hooped if i had gone with tribal wisdom instead of a damned good (and OMG, white) heart specialist.
 
Cliffy
+2 / -1
#23
This goes for treating diseases too:

 
EagleSmack
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

You should be told to F off every morning as a good start to the day. You accessment of the miltary situatio in the ME is hopefull speculation. Are you the right age for recall? It matters not anyway, a desperate nation will press you into service anyway. Maybe you can man a shore battery.

Then have at FOOL. lol

You're just pissed because the Russians are ineffective and are getting called on it.

Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuck View Post

I had five bypasses a couple years back. Barely survived, but i would have been totally hooped if i had gone with tribal wisdom instead of a damned good (and OMG, white) heart specialist.

Cliffy could have had a smudging ceremony and rubbed weed oil on your chest.

Of course you would have been as dead as Julius Caesar.
 
PoliticalNick
+2
#25
The parents and the child refused treatment. It is their human right to do so. That is where all debate on this ends.
 
EagleSmack
+2
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

The parents and the child refused treatment. It is their human right to do so. That is where all debate on this ends.

That's where you'd like it to end certainly.

That is not where the debate ends at all though. Her death is the fault of these voodoo witch doctors and her stupid parents.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

The parents and the child refused treatment. It is their human right to do so. That is where all debate on this ends.

So you believe parent's rights supersede the state in all cases?
 
darkbeaver
+1
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

That's where you'd like it to end certainly.

That is not where the debate ends at all though. Her death is the fault of these voodoo witch doctors and her stupid parents.

I see, and the disease had nothing to do with it, and you reccomend months of agonizing CHEMO POISON to feed your big pharma sponsers. What a champion of medicine you are! Get some more flu shots.
 
PoliticalNick
+1
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

That's where you'd like it to end certainly.

That is not where the debate ends at all though. Her death is the fault of these voodoo witch doctors and her stupid parents.

So you think we should all be forced to accept whatever treatment the doctors and government decide we should have? The last time such a thing occurred it was the 1940s and in Nazi occupied Europe.
 
WLDB
#30
Not really news. This happened awhile ago. It was a stupid move in any case. It shouldnt have been allowed to happen.

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

So you believe parent's rights supersede the state in all cases?

A lot of people seem to. I disagree. Far too many parents act as if their children are their property to do with as they please.
 

Similar Threads

27
Calgary, Cultural Capital of Canada
by Durry | Oct 15th, 2011
1
Canada inches toward private medicine
by Karlin | Aug 22nd, 2007
43
Canada inches toward private medicine
by I think not | Sep 18th, 2005