Rock & Roll the so called Oldies late 40's to early 60's


Goober
+2
#1
Rock & Roll the so called Oldies late 40's to early 60's

The History of Rock and Roll Until 1960

The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight - YouTube

Under the boardwalk - The drifters - YouTube

"Long Tall Sally" on 18 Greatest Hits (album, cd) by Little Richard (artist) - Music, Playlists, Songs, and Lyrics, - top100sradio.com

"Blue Suede Shoes" on Carl Perkins: The Complete Sun Singles (album, cd) by Carl Perkins (artist) - Music, Playlists, Songs, and Lyrics, - top100sradio.com

"You Send Me" on Portrait of a Legend 1951-1964 (album, cd) by Sam Cooke (artist) - Music, Playlists, Songs, and Lyrics, - top100sradio.com

The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
SLM
+2
#2
The Beatles 1st Ed Sullivan Performance (REMASTERED) - YouTube
 
WLDB
+2
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

The Beatles 1st Ed Sullivan Performance (REMASTERED) - YouTube

I have a documentary called "The First US Visit" which follows them on their first little tour in the US. I really enjoyed it. It has all of the first Ed Sullivan performances.

Early rock and roll doesnt seem to get much attention now. I still listen to Buddy Holly a fair bit.
 
Goober
+2
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

I have a documentary called "The First US Visit" which follows them on their first little tour in the US. I really enjoyed it. It has all of the first Ed Sullivan performances.

Early rock and roll doesnt seem to get much attention now. I still listen to Buddy Holly a fair bit.

I remember my sister going all wacko as they were playing on Ed`s show. Yes I am old.
 
SLM
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

I have a documentary called "The First US Visit" which follows them on their first little tour in the US. I really enjoyed it. It has all of the first Ed Sullivan performances.

Early rock and roll doesnt seem to get much attention now. I still listen to Buddy Holly a fair bit.

I listen to the older stuff in spurts. But I absolutely love the Beatles, always have.

A Hard Day's Night is a gem of a comedy, if you've not seen that I'd highly recommend it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

I remember my sister going all wacko as they were playing on Ed`s show. Yes I am old.

I remember when Lennon died. That was actually when I started listening to them because they played their songs all night long and I realized that I'd always loved those songs, just never knew what they were.
 
WLDB
+3
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

I remember my sister going all wacko as they were playing on Ed`s show. Yes I am old.


Neither of my parents had been born yet. Yes I am that young. haha
 
SLM
+1
#7
Ouch!!! LOL.
 
WLDB
+2
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

I listen to the older stuff in spurts. But I absolutely love the Beatles, always have.

A Hard Day's Night is a gem of a comedy, if you've not seen that I'd highly recommend it.



I remember when Lennon died. That was actually when I started listening to them because they played their songs all night long and I realized that I'd always loved those songs, just never knew what they were.

Yep I have both A Hard Days Night and Help! in my dvd collections. Couldnt get through Yellow Submarine though. I dont care for animated things anyway. Im hoping the Let it Be documentary eventually gets an official release. The Beatles have been up there for me most of my life. Ive seen Paul McCartney twice. That was really fun. Hoping I get to see Ringo before he stops touring.
 
Cliffy
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

I remember my sister going all wacko as they were playing on Ed`s show. Yes I am old.

But do you remember Elvis' first Ed Sullivan Show?
 
gopher
+2
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

But do you remember Elvis' first Ed Sullivan Show?



I still remember when Bill Haley came out with Rock Around the Clock in 1956.


Kool stuff
 
SLM
+2
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

Yep I have both A Hard Days Night and Help! in my dvd collections. Couldnt get through Yellow Submarine though. I dont care for animated things anyway. Im hoping the Let it Be documentary eventually gets an official release. The Beatles have been up there for me most of my life. Ive seen Paul McCartney twice. That was really fun. Hoping I get to see Ringo before he stops touring.

I used to have an old LP which was essentially 'out takes' from the recording studio that was originally sent out exclusively to members of there fan club. Silly little songs and a lot of banter, it was a riot! Alas, I no longer have it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

But do you remember Elvis' first Ed Sullivan Show?

Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

I still remember when Bill Haley came out with Rock Around the Clock in 1956.


Kool stuff

Man you guys are old!
 
relic
#12
Ha,I can remember having to go to the highest point in the county so you could pick up "cousin Brucie" on "77 WABC" because local radio didn't play rock 'n' roll.
The Beatles sucked,long live the Troggs and Shadows of Knight.
Last edited by relic; Mar 12th, 2013 at 08:56 AM..Reason: spelling error
 
Goober
#13
Many do not recall that Conway Twitty started in Rock & Roll

Conway Twitty rocks - 4 songs - YouTube
And do not forget Ray
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3T8dJk8LjE
 
Goober
+1
#14
Roy Orbison - Crying (from The Roy Orbison Show) - YouTube

Roy Orbison-Oh Pretty Woman (with lyrics) - YouTube

Roy Orbison - "Only the Lonely" from Black and White Night - YouTube

CRYING (Music Video) Roy Orbison, K D Lang - YouTube
 
spaminator
+1
#15
its in the style of the 40s.

Christina Aguilera Single Title for 2.0
 
Goober
#16
The Real Ritchie Valens - La Bamba - YouTube

Ritchie Valens-Donna - YouTube
 
SLM
+2
#17
Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode [HQ] - YouTube
 
gopher
+3
#18
Quote:

SLM,

Man you guys are old!



In my case, over the hill, around the bend, and down the dale ...
 
taxslave
+2
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

I used to have an old LP which was essentially 'out takes' from the recording studio that was originally sent out exclusively to members of there fan club. Silly little songs and a lot of banter, it was a riot! Alas, I no longer have it.





Man you guys are old!

Excuse me the term is cultured.
 
gopher
+1
#20
Quote:

slave,
Excuse me the term is cultured.


Hadn't thought of it that way before.
 
damngrumpy
#21
Most people don't know the Tokens as a band were actually formed by Neil Sedaka.
I have tons of this old stuff including Bill and the Comets, Ritchie Valens the first LP
on the old Delphi Label.
I When the house and contents insurance came due I had all this stuff insured for
thousands of dollars. Old Rock Country and even cylinders, the first recordings.
The old stuff has a magic about it and the stuff on vinyl is still better sound
 
gopher
+1
#22
Quote:

Most people don't know the Tokens as a band were actually formed by Neil Sedaka.

Hadn't heard that before.

Neil Sedaka was always busy as a singer, songwriter, and translator who sang his songs in Spanish. His family is Sefardic and even though they migrated to Turkey before coming to the USA they retained their knowledge of Ladino. This is why he spoke and sang in Spanish so well.
 
gopher
+1
#23
very influential stuff from the 1950s:



[youtube]vmDDOFXSgAs[/youtube]



I've played & replayed this gem in my head innumerable times over the decades!
 
skookumchuck
#24
"The lion sleeps tonight", interesting that i heard it sung by a group of black kids visiting from Africa. That was in Victoria BC in the very early fifties. I suppose people thought the group that sang it invented it, nope.
 
gopher
+1
#25
"Wimoweh" was composed in South Africa in the late 1930s - great stuff
 
Praxius
#26
So-Called "Oldies" huh?

At work here in Melbourne, I have the radio on in the background which is set to 104.3 Gold FM.

My wife said the station has been around for a long time and played her parent's songs when they were young and is considered the "Golden Oldies" station.

Just this past year, they started adding to their playlist the following:

• Smash Mouth
• Sugar Ray
• Jamiroquai
• No Doubt
• Red Hot Chili Peppers
• Alanis Morissette

How old do you feel now when Jamiroquai is a Golden Oldie?
 

Similar Threads

3
Rock and Roll
by Cliffy | Dec 26th, 2010
28
Rock & Roll And Religion
by Liberalman | Apr 30th, 2010
3