Multiple Schlerosis, skim-milk surplusses, and Quebec cheese makers...


Omicron
#1
So, I was thinking...

1) Canada has the highest rate of MS (Multiple Sclerosis) in north America...

2) MSers aren't supposed to consume bovine fat, which means no beef, and no cheese made from cow's milk. Something about bovine fat triggers attacks... which means they can eat skim-milk cheese, but skim-milk cheese tastes lousy...

3) Canada also has huge stockpiles of powdered skim milk, because Canada manages its milk supply by skimming and powdering the surplus (Americans turn their surplus into cheddar... we turn ours into powdered skim milk... which we give away to poor countries about once every three years when the storage bins start getting full...)

4) The most talented cheese-makers in north America are in Quebec (or so they say...)

Therefore...

Why not get some skilled and creative Quebec cheese-makers (or anyone... there's some good ones in Alberta too...) to experiment with combinations of skim-milk and vegetable (i.e. olive) and/or fish oil (i.e. from sardines, which have the best levels of natural omega-3's) to make new types of cheese that are okay for MSers, but which tastes good.

Hmm... have those agro-researchers in Saskatchewan finished doing that genetic recon work to make it so canola oil has omega-3's and some of the fatty acids found in olive oil? If so, that would be the oil to start with.

Somewhere out there is a strain of yeast that will make delicious cheese out of skim-milk blended whatever kinds of fat/oil are safe for MSers to eat.

By the way... it would be good for white Caucasian males too, because bovine fat is a co-factor in triggering prostate cancer in males from a northwest European heritage.

We need to set up a competition to see who can create the best skim-milk/fish-and/or-vegetable oil cheese.
 
petros
#2
Skimmed milk has no fat and plant fats are no good for humans.
 
Omicron
#3
O course, we could always breed and/or genetically engineer a strain of cattle that makes healthier fat.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Skimmed milk has no fat and plant fats are no good for humans.

Well duh, of course skim-milk has no fat - what do people think they're skimming off when they skim it... the whole point of using it as the protein base for making bovine-fat free cheese is that it's fat free - and where in the world did you get the idea that vegetable fats are not good for humans?

Are you thinking of tropical oils, which have the same hydrogen saturation levels as animal fats?

Or maybe you're thinking of the tran-fats that result from hydrogenation of vegetable oils into margarine?

I'm not talking about using tropical oils nor hydrogenated vegetable oils... I'm talking about using things like olive oil (which is very healthy for humans) and/or fish oils to replace the bovine-fat in cheese.

Come to think of it, we could combine skim-milk with chicken or pork fat to make a cheese safer to eat for MSers and males with a northwest European heritage who don't want to get prostate cancer.

Hmm... I bet cheese made from skim-milk and bacon-fat would taste great, although that would probably bug the kosherites.

Anything... as long as it's not bovine fat.
Last edited by Omicron; Jan 13th, 2011 at 10:36 AM..
 
Chiliagon
#4
I drink Skim Milk!

have been for a while now..
 
petros
#5
Enjoy the stones.
 
Chiliagon
#6
where's your facts?
 
Omicron
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Chiliagon View Post

I drink Skim Milk!

have been for a while now..

Yeah, me too. It's a bit odd at first, but once you adjust, the taste is great.

The problem is I have a friend with and a relative with MS, and they love cheese, but they're not supposed to eat any that's got cow-fat in it because cow-fat triggers MS attacks.

I also have a relative who got prostate cancer, and it was learned that for people of his northwest European heritage, he never should have been eating cheese made from cow's milk unless the fat had been skimmed off because bovine fat is a co-factor in triggering prostate cancer.

Skim milk cheese had always been an option, but it was too bland.

Which means, if some creative cheese maker could make a good blend of skim-milk with some fat other than that from cows, and find the right yeast, and figure out the right process, then there's definitely be a market for the product.

If I was a cheese maker I'd work on it myself, but I'm not, plus I'm already busy enough with other things that I don't have the time nor economic-imperative to motivate me into learning the craft, but if someone else could come up with something good, I know that I would buy it... and I know others who would too.

So... hmm... if we could set up a competition...
Last edited by Omicron; Jan 13th, 2011 at 11:05 AM..
 
Chiliagon
#8
yea I started on 2% back when I was a young kid.. and I can't remember when exactly but we switched to 1%.


then it's been 5 or 6 years now that I've been on Skim... I can't go back now.
 
Omicron
+1
#9  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Enjoy the stones.

*sigh*... enjoy the osteoporosis.


Do you have any idea how much milk you'd have to drink to trigger kidney stones?

Even then you'd have to be living in a part of the country where the water is very hard.
 
lone wolf
#10
Goat cheese (that ought to bring on the fun)
 
Chiliagon
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Omicron View Post

*sigh*... enjoy the osteoporosis.


Do you have any idea how much milk you'd have to drink to trigger kidney stones?

Even then you'd have to be living in a part of the country where the water is very hard.

I have about 2 cups a day. 1 in my cereal and 1 at supper...

i'm sure that won't be causing any problems.
 
Omicron
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Goat cheese (that ought to bring on the fun)

I like goat cheese (aka chevre cheese), plus there's always good ol' Norwegian ghetost.

It's just that even the good milker goats only produce a couple liters a day, whereas milker cows can produce more than 32 liters per day, so it could be done more efficiently on a large economic scale if we start with skimmed cows-milk.

Quote: Originally Posted by Chiliagon View Post

I have about 2 cups a day. 1 in my cereal and 1 at supper...

i'm sure that won't be causing any problems.

You'd have to drink several gallons of milk a day to get even remotely close to the calcium levels required to precipitate kidney stones, and if you've ever had acid reflux and chewed on some tums you'll have easily surpassed the calcium content of any amount of milk a person's ever likely to drink over any reasonable period of time.

Cheese is essentially super-condensed milk, and when was the last time you heard warnings to avoid cheese else you'll get kidney stones?

Most trouble with kidney stones get reported from parts of the country with very hard tap water.
 
Chiliagon
#13
ya not worried
 
Omicron
#14
In any case, I have a friend and an important relative both of whom have stage one MS, and it's sad to watch him whimper and her sigh when they can't eat cheese because the bovine-fat content might trigger an attack, so if an enterprising cheese maker wants to invent something new based on combinations of skim-milk with non-bovine fats, and if it's delicious, it WILL be purchased!

Hmm... I can't stop thinking about cheese made from skim-milk and bacon fat... bwahahaha...
 
karrie
#15
Sounds like something worth e-mailing the Food network or Oka about.
 
Omicron
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Sounds like something worth e-mailing the Food network or Oka about.

Oka?
 
petros
#17
Milk is for animals that grow 500kg in a year. No wonder people are fat.
 
karrie
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Omicron View Post

Oka?

quebec cheese makers
 
Chiliagon
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Milk is for animals that grow 500kg in a year. No wonder people are fat.

it's not that simple.

people who drink Milk don't necessarily get fat.

it's because they make lifestyle choices that lead towards it.

they eat way more than what they burn off, as well as what they choose to eat.

If you go to McDonalds or Wendy's BK more often and you don't exercise to combat it, you're gonna get fat.

people who do not exercise at all and eat like they're always hungry are going to end up being incredibly Obese!


then those who have Thyroid issues are a different story.
 
karrie
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Milk is for animals that grow 500kg in a year. No wonder people are fat.

No, WHOLE milk is intended for animals that grow that much, and consumed in much larger quantities than humans consume it in on an individual level. Low levels of skim milk is not sufficient for excess weight gain.
 
Omicron
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Milk is for animals that grow 500kg in a year. No wonder people are fat.

Skim milk is one of the least fattening and dietarily most efficient foods you can consume. It has an essential amino acid ratio around 75%, whereas meat is around 30%.

It's one of the *best* things to include in a diet if you want to control calories while keeping properly nourished.

Are you one of those people who can't digest lactose past the age of twelve and has to look for rationalizations to justify the fact that he lacks the double recessive gene that most northwest Europeans have enabling them to keep digesting lactose past the age of twelve?

Normally people who are lactose intolerant simply eat their milk as yogurt or as some cheese made with a yeast that consumes the lactose in the fermentation process.

Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

quebec cheese makers

Ahh... thanks!
 
TenPenny
#22
So there is some link between 'bovine fat' and MS?
 
Omicron
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

So there is some link between 'bovine fat' and MS?

Yup. Not in terms of catching it, but in terms of triggering the disease to express itself and do damage, and actually it's not exactly just beef fat, because any heavily saturated fat can trigger an attack (which means the idea of making an MS-safe cheese from skim-milk and bacon fat was *not* a good idea, although I still think it's an interesting idea just for the sake of inventing a new kind of cheese... and by the way, before the cattleman's associations get in a fit, "bovine" includes things like buffalo)...

... It's just that there's something especially obnoxious to the physiology of people with MS about bovine fats, and I think I sort of know why.

When I was in high school I had to do a science report on the fatty-acid constituents of various common types of fat in the human diet, and compare that to the fatty-acid constituents of human fat, and I was stunned by how bovine fat is the *least* similar to human fat of any we eat.

Weirdly enough, the fat most similar to human fat was *corn oil* (go figure), which means, if you rendered down human fat until it was pure, a chemist would have a hard time telling it apart from corn oil.

Which mean... someone needs to invent a soft cheese based upon skim-milk and corn-oil.

The trick will be to find the right species of mold, and what the right incubation conditions and preparation process needs to be, which means some basic kitchen-lab R&D.
Last edited by Omicron; Jan 13th, 2011 at 04:49 PM..
 
Cannuck
#24
YouTube - Life of Brian - Blessed are the cheesemakers
 
TenPenny
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Omicron View Post

Yup. Not in terms of catching it, but in terms of triggering the disease to express itself and do damage, and actually it's not exactly just beef fat, because any heavily saturated fat can trigger an attack (which means the idea of making an MS-safe cheese from skim-milk and bacon fat was *not* a good idea, although I still think it's an interesting idea just for the sake of inventing a new kind of cheese... and by the way, before the cattleman's associations get in a fit, "bovine" includes things like buffalo)...

... It's just that there's something especially obnoxious to the physiology of people with MS about bovine fats, and I think I sort of know why.


Anybody have any decent evidence for any of that?
 
Omicron
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Anybody have any decent evidence for any of that?

Yeah...start by talking to someone with MS and ask them how they feel the next few days after chowing down on big meals heavy on the saturated fats... especially of the bovine kind.

Then ask them how often those states of discomfort lead to painful attacks, and then ask them how often those attacks lead to paralysis which they may or may not recover from with the same likelihood as recovering from an attack of polio.

It's more immediate and direct a correlation than is had for correlating smoking to cancer...
 
TenPenny
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Omicron View Post

Yeah...start by talking to someone with MS and ask them how they feel the next few days after chowing down on big meals heavy on the saturated fats... especially of the bovine kind.

Then ask them how often those states of discomfort lead to painful attacks, and then ask them how often those attacks lead to paralysis which they may or may not recover from with the same likelihood as recovering from an attack of polio.

It's more immediate and direct a correlation than is had for correlating smoking to cancer...

If you say so.
 
Omicron
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

If you say so.

Evidently you don't know anyone with MS. I know two, and trust me pal, I'm not making this up.

They have their doctor's dietary regime well in hand, but sure enough, they've been feeling okay for awhile so they'll jump off the wagon and chow down on a double-burger or a big slice of double-cheese pizza, and then for the next three days they're tired and in pain, with everyone worried that it might go into a full-blown attack leaving paralysis. They're still level one, but too many attacks and it will proceed to level two where they're drooling in a wheelchair.

So why do they do it knowing full well what the consequences could be?

I don't know. Why do schizophrenics stop taking their medication as soon as it's finally had the effect of making them normal? Why would smokers keep smoking even if the government changed the packaging regulations to say that every pack had to be solid black printed with a white skull and cross-bone and plain text saying "This will kill you"?

To give humans a list of foods they should not eat with a threat that if they don't stick to it they'll die, and that they must eat for the rest of their lives a bland diet with no tasty alternatives, is as pointless as a toady PM telling his constituents that he's going to spend their tax dollars building gulags of new prisons into which he's going to shove them all if they don't sit down and shut up and deal with living at a ground-down standard of living from unregulated globalization.

The solution is to present an alternative, and so if it is within the grasp of human science to make a tasty and nutritious alternative that's palatable to people with MS and will not trigger attacks, why not... especially if it's creating jobs (at least until the gray-scaled gargoyles and their gel-haired Armani-suited MBA minions of Wall Street pull one of their Goldman's Suck kind'a cons to do a takeover and gut management with decision-probability software and downsize labor with robotic automation and debase the product to the lowest possible true value with the poorest and cheapest ingredients, all in order to maximize shareholder value for their masters golfing at the triple-six club every day while all others do everything menial for the lowest possible working-poor wage... but that's another story...)
 

Similar Threads

2
Properly qualifying our leaders and law makers
by progressive | May 22nd, 2006
2