Identity Politics


Girth
+2
#1
On a scale of 1-10, how much to do hate the experts who came up with this bullshit, and on a scale of 1-10, how much do you want to choke them out?
 
taxslave
+3
#2
10/10
 
Twin_Moose
+1
#3
Trans woman required to identify as ‘male’ by Immigration Canada: ‘It was agony’

Quote:

After arriving in Toronto Chen made a refugee claim and was then told by Canadian immigration officials she must be identified as “male” on her refugee protection claimant document, her only valid piece of identification in Canada.

Global News has agreed to use a pseudonym for Chen because of fears she could be persecuted if sent back to Hong Kong.

“I was stunned. I was crying. I was distressed,” Chen said. “This is not something I expected.”

According to government policy, all information on an asylum seeker’s immigration documents “must reflect what is indicated on their foreign passport.”

This is true even in cases such as Chen’s, where a person receives hormone therapy, has undergone sex reassignment surgery, and where their lived gender no longer conforms with the sex they were assigned at birth.

It’s also true for all temporary resident documents issued by the government, including work and study permits.

“It’s discrimination,” Chen said.

Read more: Sex vs. gender: What J.K. Rowling got wrong that you can get right

Since coming to Canada, Chen has felt isolated and dreads leaving her apartment because she might be asked to show her ID that says she’s a man, essentially outing her as a trans woman.

She also said being misgendered by the Canadian government makes her feel less valued than other people.

“I’m so afraid to live as a woman here,” she said.

Right to self-identify
The Canadian Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination based on: sex, race, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation and gender identity.

The Ontario Human Rights Code also prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex or gender identity.

Read more: Trump administration overturns health care protections for transgender people

“A person’s self-defined gender identity is one of the most basic aspects of self-determination, dignity and freedom,” reads an Ontario Human Rights Commission policy on preventing discrimination based on gender identity and expression.

“For legal and social purposes, a person whose gender identity is different from their birth-assigned sex should be treated according to their lived gender."

The federal government allows citizens, permanent residents and refugees whose claims are accepted, meaning they’re allowed to stay in Canada permanently, to change their sex or “gender identifier” on official travel documents, such as a passport or permanent resident card, by completing a one-page form.

Yet for refugee claimants whose cases have not yet been decided — even those whose claims are based solely on alleged persecution due to their status as an intersex or LGBTQ2 person — the only way they can change their documents to reflect their lived gender is if they first change the information on their foreign passport, according to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s policy.



Quote:

Chen married a woman in Hong Kong before she transitioned. And because same-sex marriage is illegal in Hong Kong, even if she were able to change her original passport, which she can’t, she fears this would invalidate her marriage.

“It’s simply unconscionable that the Canadian government would knowingly contribute to a process that discriminates against individuals based on their gender identity and gender expression,” said Chen’s lawyer, Ashley Fisch.

Fisch also believes the government’s policy violates Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms by failing to provide “equal treatment under the law” for trans and gender diverse refugee claimants and by perpetuating the types of hardships they’re forced to endure in other countries.

 
petros
+3
#4
Well ain't that a dilly of a pickle?
 
captain morgan
+2
#5
Chen's pickle?
 
pgs
+2
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Chen's pickle?

Or is Chens dill pickled ?
 
petros
+3
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Chen's pickle?

Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Or is Chens dill pickled ?

Probably not kosher I know that much.
 
Girth
+4
#8
Whatever happened to "Thanks for letting me into this country, since I was in fear of my life in my own country?"
 
petros
+1
#9
Xi Pong Ping doesnt frighten lefties.
 
taxslave
+5
#10
Not seeing where his poor knowledge of biology should be our problem. Didn't see anywhere in the article where Canada was holding a gun to his head and forcing him to come here.
 
Tygerbright
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

On a scale of 1-10, how much to do hate the experts who came up with this bullshit, and on a scale of 1-10, how much do you want to choke them out?

0/10 because most of those not involved in the issues don't understand the issues and then there's the bigots who hate and fear people being out and society adjusting instead of shutting folks away.
 
Tygerbright
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Trans woman required to identify as ‘male’ by Immigration Canada: ‘It was agony’

I mean that sucks but she should have done her research before coming and be prepared for stuff like this to happen.
 
Serryah
-1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

Whatever happened to "Thanks for letting me into this country, since I was in fear of my life in my own country?"


Yeah... "Thanks for letting me into Canada because I'm trans, oh wait... you don't want me to be Trans officially either?"


Though I feel for her, there is still stuff she has to follow, sadly. Think Immigration Canada needs to look at that rule when it comes to trans issues.
 
Girth
+4
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Tygerbright View Post

0/10 because most of those not involved in the issues don't understand the issues and then there's the bigots who hate and fear people being out and society adjusting instead of shutting folks away.

That's strange. The Irish, Asians, and Jews were persecuted at one time or another, just like Native Americans, Transgenders, and Black people. The difference is the former did not whine about it every day, as the later did. The former group were too busy making a better life for themselves, and their families. Today, Asians, Jews, and Irish Canadians enjoy a high standard of living. Blacks, Aboriginals, and Transgenders do not.

"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes.”

~Charles Swindoll
Last edited by Girth; Jul 14th, 2020 at 03:06 AM..
 
Girth
+3
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Yeah... "Thanks for letting me into Canada because I'm trans, oh wait... you don't want me to be Trans officially either?"
Though I feel for her, there is still stuff she has to follow, sadly. Think Immigration Canada needs to look at that rule when it comes to trans issues.

Canada has to vet refugees, period.

In the initial stages of COVID-19, there were suggestions that we should shut down air travel to and from China. Government officials in Canada and Europe lashed out at the ones suggesting this, as "anti-Chinese bigotry" and waited at least a month to eventually do so. The results speak for themselves.


This is why there should be no place for identity politics in the country.

If this individual whines and complains, for something as trivial as Canada making him check a paper box, indicating his gender on his identification from his native country, then they obviously are not in any danger, and be denied entry to Canada.
 
petros
+6
#16  Top Rated Post
International Law.

The product on the manifest and bill of lading has to match the paperwork at the point of origin.
 
Girth
+4
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

International Law.
The product on the manifest and bill of lading has to match the paperwork at the point of origin.

It's Canada's fault. We elected a progressive snowflake as PM, and insists on apologizing for the "wrongs" our "horrible" country has committed in the past. Psychology has shown that if you treat a impressionable person like a victim, they start to think of themselves as a victim. If we buckle to special interest groups like Transgender people, and give them special rights, events like this were bound to happen.

This is why our First Nations people will never climb out of poverty. They are too busy portraying themselves as victims. The same can be said with African Americans in the USA. They are all "victims" of White "colorization," White "privilege," etc. etc. The only successful Natives I have met, are the ones who insist on not accepting handouts, and working like everyone else. There is something to be said for a man to earn an honest paycheck at the end of the week.
 
taxslave
+4
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Yeah... "Thanks for letting me into Canada because I'm trans, oh wait... you don't want me to be Trans officially either?"
Though I feel for her, there is still stuff she has to follow, sadly. Think Immigration Canada needs to look at that rule when it comes to trans issues.

That would be difficult when the passport used to come to Canada says male and all of a sudden all official paperwork says female. He could just wait until after getting accepted into Canada to have his Canadian ID say female.
 
Twin_Moose
+1
#19
Lethbridge city council passes bylaw banning conversion therapy

Carrying a $10,000 fine
 
Ron in Regina
+4
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Trans woman required to identify as male by Immigration Canada: It was agony


When someone is fleeing across the Global, I'm guessing this would be a concern to be dealt with in hindsight? If I was fleeing as a refugee and somehow all the checked boxes said I was a female....who gives a shit as long as I lived through the process and could straighten it out later? I could sort out my gender or orientation on paper once I'm though the process and safely though the refugee situation as a landed immigrant or citizen, etc...

Bit of an older pic (the goat's about 6" longer now) but that's a pic of my Son & I when I first met the Girl who's now my Girlfriend. Yes that's a wine glass & beer can in our hands...they're not miniatures...no trick photography....
 
Serryah
+1 / -1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

When someone is fleeing across the Global, I'm guessing this would be a concern to be dealt with in hindsight? If I was fleeing as a refugee and somehow all the checked boxes said I was a female....who gives a shit as long as I lived through the process and could straighten it out later? I could sort out my gender or orientation on paper once I'm though the process and safely though the refugee situation as a landed immigrant or citizen, etc...

Bit of an older pic (the goat's about 6" longer now) but that's a pic of my Son & I when I first met the Girl who's now my Girlfriend. Yes that's a wine glass & beer can in our hands...they're not miniatures...no trick photography....


Because it still matters on a personal level to many Trans people.

It might also depend on the severity of what they're fleeing; if they're leaving a country because of being Trans and the death threat coming from that, being correctly gendered is a HUGE deal. Not being able to say "I am X" when you get to that hoped for 'freedom' would toss you back into the hell of what you just left.
 
petros
+2
#22
If they cant accept minor bumps in the road they arent emotionally capable of being trans.
 
Serryah
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

If they cant accept minor bumps in the road they arent emotionally capable of being trans.


Saying you aren't who you are isn't a 'minor bump' but a huge, huge issue.

Again, I do get it on the Canadian side, there aren't currently allowances in the acts to allow trans people to come into Canada seeking asylum/refuge under their proper gender. And maybe that will be hard to change because it is possible there could be abuses of the system. If a refugee/asylum seeker is coming to Canada for a Trans based issue then they won't likely have any records or anything from their previous home to show they are trans and in danger.



That is something that needs to be looked at and should change. There needs to be understanding on both sides though.

But if I was fleeing my home because I was Trans and if I didn't leave, I would be killed, going to the country you hope to make your home and being told you STILL have to say you're X gender, when you aren't, would be continued trauma.
 
petros
+4
#24
You cant detach yourself from who you were if who you were is still who you were. You are what you is.
 
Serryah
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

You cant detach yourself from who you were if who you were is still who you were. You are what you is.


And yet that's what's going on; people are being asked to detach themselves from who they are, to fit a falshood of self.
 
petros
+4
#26
I guess it takes balls to be Transgender.
 
Ron in Regina
+3
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Saying you aren't who you are isn't a 'minor bump' but a huge, huge issue.
Again, I do get it on the Canadian side, there aren't currently allowances in the acts to allow trans people to come into Canada seeking asylum/refuge under their proper gender. And maybe that will be hard to change because it is possible there could be abuses of the system. If a refugee/asylum seeker is coming to Canada for a Trans based issue then they won't likely have any records or anything from their previous home to show they are trans and in danger.
That is something that needs to be looked at and should change. There needs to be understanding on both sides though.
But if I was fleeing my home because I was Trans and if I didn't leave, I would be killed, going to the country you hope to make your home and being told you STILL have to say you're X gender, when you aren't, would be continued trauma.

I hear what youre saying but if he comes down to a choice between death and bureaucracy, Accept the bureaucracy on a temporary basis while things get straightened out without somebody trying to kill you in your new country like they were in your old country etc.....Seriously if somebody thought I was a woman on paper for a year or two as opposed to a firing squad..... You could call me Mrs. Ron in Regina until I got the paperwork sorted out. Definitely the lesser of two evils.
Id be the ugliest woman youd ever met, & Id be printing up T-Shirts with my mug on them, and the form saying Im a woman on the back with a big red arrow Pointing at the checked box stating female....& a catch phase thought up with friends over a bottle of Tequila....& Id be flogging those online for $20 each (or two for $35) plus shipping. Everyone would be getting one for Christmas cuz Im not in front of a firing squad be being a refugee in Canada, etc....
 
Girth
+2
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

If they cant accept minor bumps in the road they arent emotionally capable of being trans.

Serryah may be "triggered" by your comments.
 
Serryah
+1
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

I hear what youre saying but if he comes down to a choice between death and bureaucracy, Accept the bureaucracy on a temporary basis while things get straightened out without somebody trying to kill you in your new country like they were in your old country etc.....Seriously if somebody thought I was a woman on paper for a year or two as opposed to a firing squad..... You could call me Mrs. Ron in Regina until I got the paperwork sorted out. Definitely the lesser of two evils.
Id be the ugliest woman youd ever met, & Id be printing up T-Shirts with my mug on them, and the form saying Im a woman on the back with a big red arrow Pointing at the checked box stating female....& a catch phase thought up with friends over a bottle of Tequila....& Id be flogging those online for $20 each (or two for $35) plus shipping. Everyone would be getting one for Christmas cuz Im not in front of a firing squad be being a refugee in Canada, etc....


On one hand I agree, that in the end, you take what you can get just to get away from that kind of situation.

It sucks hard and yeah it might throw you into more emotional turmoil but at least you'll be in a place to get help for it and be safe.



But I do get where they're coming from and I do think things need to change so that situation doesn't have to continually happen.
 
Serryah
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

Serryah may be "triggered" by your comments.


Aren't you tired of being wrong yet?
 

Similar Threads

12
identity crisis
by silvia | Jun 27th, 2004