Bill Morneau resigns

Hoid
cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-morneau-justin-trudeau-decision-1.5689890

Morneau is out

The federal separatists have wrought a mighty victory. Not sure who takes over in finance,but what matters is that a minuscule political gain has been had.

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
gerryh
+5
#2  Top Rated Post
Hopefully, this is the beginning of the end.

Girth
+5
Trudeau throws another member of his cabinet under the bus.

taxslave
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Morneau is out
The federal separatists have wrought a mighty victory. Not sure who takes over in finance,but what matters is that a minuscule political gain has been had.

1 down. 50 to go.

Mowich
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Hopefully, this is the beginning of the end.

Telford and Chaggar should also be shown the door, gerry. Neither deserve to keep their positions after their appalling performances in the WE scandal.

Ron in Regina
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Telford and Chaggar should also be shown the door, gerry. Neither deserve to keep their positions after their appalling performances in the WE scandal.

Tossing a pair of women to the side, to help bury a scandal, because it's 2015? I guess that's the pattern though.
No more Billy on the bus though at this point, as this picture is sooooo 3hrs ago I guess.

Hoid
it was the federal separatists who threw Morneau under the bus.

pgs

Really , and what were you saying about me ?

Jinentonix
+4

The same federal separatists you supported when they said they'd vote to block any investment in Alberta's fossil fuels industry. You were fine with them throwing Alberta under the bus weren't ya.

Suddenly you don't like them because they're picking on poor Team Groper. Besides, Morneau was a shit Finance Minister. Every time he was asked a question about the country's finances he'd respond as if he was asked anything except about the country's finances. I mean if he can't even answer a simple question related to his goddam position, then he was clearly too incompetent for the job.

Hey, maybe Buttsy boy is available for the gig. He knows how to piss away money on absolute crap. He'd make a perfect Liberal Party Finance Minister.

Twin_Moose
+4 / -1
Like I said the writing was on the wall when Trudie started leaking hit pieces, next shoe to drop will be replacing the GG Payette see the Canadian politics forum

Kelly McParland: Morneau’s weak excuse for quitting suggests he's finally lost confidence in Trudeau

CBC throwing up a shield for Trudie who'da guessed

Whatever the reason, Morneau's exit was unnecessarily messy

Sliding through without much scrutiny is the real reason for Morneau's leaving

Trudeau, Morneau clashing over green initiatives and coronavirus spending: sources

Quote:

A deepening rift between Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his finance minister about coronavirus spending is also fuelled by disagreements over the scope and scale of proposed green initiatives, three sources familiar with the matter said.

Trudeau and Finance Minister Bill Morneau are scheduled to meet on Monday in a bid to sort out their differences, said a fourth source aware of the meeting. The sources requested anonymity given the sensitivity of the situation.

Morneau and his team have pushed back against other cabinet ministers about how much funding was needed, including to what extent the recovery could be helped by investing in environmental projects, the people added.

Trudeau, who campaigned on a platform to tackle climate change, believes the 2021 budget should have an ambitious environmental element to start weaning the heavily oil-dependent economy off fossil fuels and has recently hired former Bank of England governor Mark Carney as an informal adviser, aides say.

The appointment, coupled with a Globe and Mail report that Trudeau and Morneau had clashed over the amount of money Ottawa is spending to combat the coronavirus, led to speculation about the future of the finance minister. Morneau, 57, has been in the job since the Liberals took power in late 2015.

Asked for a reaction to the Reuters reporting, Trudeau spokesman Cameron Ahmad noted the prime minister issued a statement on Tuesday saying he had “full confidence” in Morneau, who confidants say is alarmed by ballooning budget deficits.

Environment Minister Jonathan Wilkinson along with Infrastructure Minister Catherine McKenna, who is a former environment minister, have met with top civil servants to discuss options that could involve billions of dollars in extra spending, said one of the three sources familiar with the matter. Heritage Minister Steven Guilbeault, a life-long green activist, also attended the meetings.

Morneau’s resistance to expensive environmental initiatives reflects his roots in Bay Street, Toronto’s financial centre, and a view held among right-leaning Liberals that deficits are out of control.

“The idea of greening the economy just by spending money on every project you have in front of you is not really serious,” said a fifth source sympathetic to Morneau’s position.

Possible budget measures range from investments to help provinces reduce their carbon footprint, boosting research into clean technology and encouraging the construction of efficient buildings.

“Morneau has been saying: ‘We need to get a grip’. And that isn’t always popular,” said one of the three sources familiar with the matter.

The offices of Morneau and the three ministers did not respond to requests for comment.

Canada’s budget deficit is forecast to hit $343.2 billion, the largest shortfall since the Second World War, this fiscal year. Total coronavirus support is nearly 14 per cent of gross domestic product.

“He was not very keen on a huge deficit; that’s not what he wanted as his legacy,” said a sixth source familiar with Morneau’s thinking.

Problems between a finance minister and colleagues with ambitious and expensive proposals are not unusual. “Every single department in government that spends money ends up butting heads with Finance,” said the fifth source.

But Morneau is feeling increasingly isolated at the cabinet table, with no close allies among his colleagues, according to the source.

Adding to Morneau’s challenges, several cabinet members were upset when he revealed that he had forgotten to repay $41,366 in travel expenses covered for him by a charity at the heart of an ethics probe, one of the three sources said. Both Morneau and Trudeau are facing ethics inquiries related to the charity.

This well placed leak by Morneau should be a warning to all of us that if he is uneasy with the spending in the works, we all should be, because it is phucking us all

Mowich
+5
So Freeland will replace Morneau as finance minister. Considering that she wrote some articles on finance for a few different publications, I gather that is more than enough to qualify her for the position./s In addition to her new post, Freeland will remain as Deputy PM and keep her portfolio on Intergovernmental Affairs - so many hats for one person. I guess JT is running out of people he knows he can easily manipulate and is sticking with the ass-kissers.

Twin_Moose
+4
I think he will be leaning on the dude from the Bank of England either officially or unofficially, he needs someone to sign off on his multi Billion investments into Green energy

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

I think he will be leaning on the dude from the Bank of England either officially or unofficially, he needs someone to sign off on his multi Billion investments into Green energy

He has hoid to do that. Can't find anyone more gullible.

gerryh
+1
Sorry, twin, that should have been a thimbs up.

taxme

Morneau is out

All well, no doubt that this corrupt buffoon will leave politics with a nice pension income and benefits, and no doubtwill have made millions of dollars while in politics. No matter what, the sheeple always loses in the end. No one who commits a crime in the federal government ever goes to jail. Jail is only meant for we the sheeple.

But there is no one to blame but ourselves for our lack of ever giving a real fuk about anything that these lying, thieving, and corrupt politicians do. When Teflon Don Turdeau leaves politics he no doubt will have made a few extra million bucks to put into his bank account. Of course those bucks will be our tax dollars. But ask the people if they really care? Nobody really cares about doing anything about what goes on with our tax dollars and our freedoms. If they did give a shit then corruption would have ended decades ago. When Teflon Don goes away there will be another corrupt and thieving politician to take his place. The corrupt game never ends. So why don't you all just cut with the crap. You could careless also, right? It's all about me-me-me with you all, right?

I wished that I had got into politics decades ago. I would be living the good life on your tax dollars, and when I get tired of listening to your constant whining and crying, I will quit politics altogether and go retire on your tax dollars. I will love those benefits also. I may be even able to make a few million dollars at your expense. Ha-ha-ha.

Hoid
lol

Yes. Bill Morneau - a millionaire dozens of times over - got into politics to make money.

What a jackass.

pgs
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxme View Post

All well, no doubt that this corrupt buffoon will leave politics with a nice pension income and benefits, and no doubtwill have made millions of dollars while in politics. No matter what, the sheeple always loses in the end. No one who commits a crime in the federal government ever goes to jail. Jail is only meant for we the sheeple.

But there is no one to blame but ourselves for our lack of ever giving a real fuk about anything that these lying, thieving, and corrupt politicians do. When Teflon Don Turdeau leaves politics he no doubt will have made a few extra million bucks to put into his bank account. Of course those bucks will be our tax dollars. But ask the people if they really care? Nobody really cares about doing anything about what goes on with our tax dollars and our freedoms. If they did give a shit then corruption would have ended decades ago. When Teflon Don goes away there will be another corrupt and thieving politician to take his place. The corrupt game never ends. So why don't you all just cut with the crap. You could careless also, right? It's all about me-me-me with you all, right?

I wished that I had got into politics decades ago. I would be living the good life on your tax dollars, and when I get tired of listening to your constant whining and crying, I will quit politics altogether and go retire on your tax dollars. I will love those benefits also. I may be even able to make a few million dollars at your expense. Ha-ha-ha.

Actually I understand he is still a year short of the coveted six year mark . Don’t worry he will be fine .

Twin_Moose
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

So Freeland will replace Morneau as finance minister. Considering that she wrote some articles on finance for a few different publications, I gather that is more than enough to qualify her for the position./s In addition to her new post, Freeland will remain as Deputy PM and keep her portfolio on Intergovernmental Affairs - so many hats for one person. I guess JT is running out of people he knows he can easily manipulate and is sticking with the ass-kissers.

You missed the other jacket she wore as the Western Rep. because she was born in Peace river, I guess so did the media. Maybe in reality it wasn't real and the speech she made for Ukrainians to rise up and unify the country was just lip service.

taxslave
+3

Federal seperatists? That would be turdOWE and gang that want to divide the country into Waring regions that they can bribe and steal from. The single biggest reason for western separatism is LPC policies and near total lack of representation in half the country.

captain morgan
+2
Not only is Morneau out but he's fleeing the country in anticipation of the RCMP investigation.... Can't help but wonder if he thinks that there's a real chance at a criminal conviction?

pgs
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Not only is Morneau out but he's fleeing the country in anticipation of the RCMP investigation.... Can't help but wonder if he thinks that there's a real chance at a criminal conviction?

Really , he must have remembered the French Villa .

Twin_Moose
+1
Yep a another Canadian citizen when it benefits him

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Yep a another Canadian citizen when it benefits him

He won't be so welcome in France, his Kweebek accent shines through like Cockney at the Buckingham Palace