Top 5 ways to spend your time if financially secure.


In Between Man
#1
You don't have to work - how do you spend your time? List your top five.

No particular order for myself:

1. Leave my body to its own devices. Stay up late, sleep in late.
2. Take up a charitable cause.
3. Travel everywhere on earth in search of adventure.
4. Lead my people.
5. Post, post, post.

Last edited by In Between Man; Sep 26th, 2009 at 01:52 AM..Reason: ads
 
L Gilbert
#2
1. doing stuff with wifey
2. camping
3. fishing
4. woodworking
5. playing with heavy machinery
 
Cliffy
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

You don't have to work - how do you spend your time? List your top five.

No particular order for myself:

1. Leave my body to its own devices. Stay up late, sleep in late.
2. Take up a charitable cause.
3. Travel everywhere on earth in search of adventure.
4. Lead my people.
5. Post, post, post.

1. already do that. That is why I'm up a 4am posting.
2. I volunteer for various charitable causes.
3. I travel around on my motorcycle.
4. Lead your people?!!! Now you are getting a Messiah complex.
I would rather listen to people to understand them better.
5. CC is a major part of my social life.
 
SirJosephPorter
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

You don't have to work - how do you spend your time? List your top five.

No particular order for myself:

1. Leave my body to its own devices. Stay up late, sleep in late.
2. Take up a charitable cause.
3. Travel everywhere on earth in search of adventure.
4. Lead my people.
5. Post, post, post.

It doesn’t work that way, alley. We have been financially secure for many years now; both of us could have quit working years ago.

But the wife likes what she is doing, so she keeps working. She also considers the hardship her retirement would cause (around 2000 patients would be left without a Family Doctor). As to me, sure I like IT, but I would like to retire. But with my wife working, it would be pointless to retire.

So we both keep working. We have both cut down somewhat recently, we travel a fair bit. But other than that, it is business as usual.

And I think that is common to many people who are financially secure, they just keep working. Old habits die hard. Indeed, if you look at the upper management in most companies, they draw seven figure salaries plus huge fat bonuses, stock options etc. It is a safe bet that most of them are financially secure, don’t have to work. But they keep working anyway.
 
Tonington
#5
1. Kayaking
2. Snorkeling
3. Camping
4. Fishing
5. Watching movies

All with Jamie of course.
 
In Between Man
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

It doesn’t work that way, alley. We have been financially secure for many years now; both of us could have quit working years ago.

But the wife likes what she is doing, so she keeps working. She also considers the hardship her retirement would cause (around 2000 patients would be left without a Family Doctor). As to me, sure I like IT, but I would like to retire. But with my wife working, it would be pointless to retire.

So we both keep working. We have both cut down somewhat recently, we travel a fair bit. But other than that, it is business as usual.

And I think that is common to many people who are financially secure, they just keep working. Old habits die hard. Indeed, if you look at the upper management in most companies, they draw seven figure salaries plus huge fat bonuses, stock options etc. It is a safe bet that most of them are financially secure, don’t have to work. But they keep working anyway.

That sounds foreign to me. Even though I'm grateful that I have a decent job, I can't help but feel trapped. If I didn't have to work, I would have no problem finding countless things to do.

Why don't you just play along and list your top five? Let's say the wife says its time to stop working. How do you spend your time?
 
Ron in Regina
#7
1) Half-Arsing my way through Home-Reno Projects with no regard to a budget.
2) Walking my Dogs when the weather is nice and the Sun is still up, whenever I wish.
3) When something breaks down, then just replacing it without massive juggling.
4) Helping Family with a hand up (not a hand out) without worry or concern.
5) Repeating #4 anonymously at any time & place, with anyone, when the urge hits.
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Sep 26th, 2009 at 01:40 PM..Reason: typo
 
AnnaG
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

1. Kayaking
2. Snorkeling
3. Camping
4. Fishing
5. Watching movies

All with Jamie of course.

Jeeez, Ton. You could do any of that with any old buddy. I think Les has his priorities straight. I come first. lmao
Of course, he knows I come here, too, so maybe he was just saying that so I wouldn't get my hackles up. hhhmmmm I can see an interrogation coming up here.
 
AnnaG
#9
Anyway,
1.time with hubby
2.gardening
3.camping
4.hiking
5.running
6.aikido
fishing, woodworking, etc. are there, too.
Last edited by AnnaG; Sep 26th, 2009 at 01:48 PM..
 
In Between Man
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

1) Half-Arsing my way through Home-Reno Projects with no regard to a budget.
2) Walking my Dogs when the weather is nice and the Sun is still up, whenever I wish.
3) When something breaks down, then just replacing it without massive juggling.
4) Helping Family with a hand up (not a hand out) without worry or concern.
5) Repeating #4 anonymously at any time & place, with anyone, when the urge hits.

Right on! If only we could get those six numbers on the 649...
 
Cannuck
#11
1 - Giving money away
2 - Golfing
3 - Touring on bike
4 - Golfing
5 - Buying office supplies at Staples and chatting with the "IT" people.
 
Kakato
#12
I would buy a nice boat that a guy could live in,spend the 3 months of summer cruising the waterways north of the hudsons bay fishing at 2 am and drinking beers and follow the weather south so you were allways in beer drinking climes.
I would also purchase a single otter plane and an a-star helicopter so I could visit all my friends who just happen to be scattered all over Canada.

I have some wisdom I got from a welder who had seen better days and it was this"every day above ground is a good day"

At my age it actually means something,your not financially secure if your below ground,just the peeps in your will are.
So dont wait,enjoy life before your financially secure,you could get hit by a truck tommorow,or lightning.
 
Kakato
#13
3 of my better friends got planted today after a head on collision south of Calgary,they were on the way to fort Mac to work at syncrude.
One guy was 60 and didnt need to work,he was a miner all his life.

3 funerals in 2 provinces,B.C.and Alberta today.I could only attend one.
 
SirJosephPorter
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

That sounds foreign to me. Even though I'm grateful that I have a decent job, I can't help but feel trapped. If I didn't have to work, I would have no problem finding countless things to do.

Why don't you just play along and list your top five? Let's say the wife says its time to stop working. How do you spend your time?


That may be the reason, alley. Those who feel trapped in their job perhaps don’t make enough to become financially secure early in life. They have to wait until they are 60 or 65 and they look forward to stop working.

On the other hand, those who have interesting, stimulating jobs (doctors, lawyers, IT, accountants, top managements etc.) really like their jobs, and they keep working, whether they are financially secure or not.

I remember attending a financial seminar a few years ago. The presenter was a well known financial advisor. He said that a few years earlier he had enough money for a comfortable retirement. He gave everything up, went to a tropical island and spent his days at the beach. He got bored stiff in ten days. All the swimming, canoeing, wind surfing, boating etc. couldn’t hold him. He came back to the civilization and started working as financial planner once again.

Anyway, I can list five activities; they are pretty much the same as I do currently.

Chess

Reading (mostly science fiction and popular science articles).

Traveling, sightseeing.

Music, Gilbert and Sullivan. Currently I go to UK for the festival every other year; I may consider going every year. Also I may consider participating in an amateur production.

Hiking – I am an avid hiker. If I had all the time on my hand, I may consider going abroad to hike
 
YukonJack
#15
When I retired in 2003, I was planning to spend far more than the usual three weeks of vacation time devoted to Habitat for Humanity, which I did every year since 1993.

Age and Mother nature deemed otherwise. My shoulder needs surgery AGAIN! Had one in 2002.

BUT....

I can still drive my van, delivering Meals on Wheels.

I can still bowl 10 pin, hoping to get closer to a perfect game. (Best so far, 264).

I can still play golf, although I must be satisfied seeing my best drives stop at 180 yards.

Bad shoulder or not, I am quite capable of giving my two year old and two months old grandchildren a hug.

I can still take pleasure in taking my wife of 40+ years to a nice restaurant to order something I can't cook myself.

I can still take my two doggies to the dog-park for their romp, at least three times a week.

I can still post on this forum and I can still hope that not all my post will be written off as malicious. Admittedly, some are.

So, I enjoy myself. I am sure, much to the chagrin of those on this forum who would rather die than say a good word to or about me.
 
Cannuck
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

I remember attending a financial seminar a few years ago. The presenter was a well known financial advisor. He said that a few years earlier he had enough money for a comfortable retirement. He gave everything up, went to a tropical island and spent his days at the beach. He got bored stiff in ten days. All the swimming, canoeing, wind surfing, boating etc. couldn’t hold him. He came back to the civilization and started working as financial planner once again.

Yes, of course. What else would one expect him to say. I'm currently a successful financial adviser..I know so much that I have to make money traveling around teaching schmucks like you how to do it?

My uncle, who actually is a success doesn't bother teaching others. He spends his time enjoying life.
 
Cannuck
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

I can still post on this forum and I can still hope that not all my post will be written off as malicious. Admittedly, some are.

Only the malicious ones are.
 
lone wolf
#18
Hey! Happy Birthday Alley!
 
In Between Man
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Hey! Happy Birthday Alley!

Thanks Wolf! I still feel young regardless of my new elder status...
 
petros
#20
Work is more fun than not working. So I'm left confused.
 
Cannuck
#21
You're doing it wrong then.
 
SirJosephPorter
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Work is more fun than not working. So I'm left confused.


That is just what many financially secure people feel, Petros. That is just the point I was trying to make.

We have a friend who is a surgeon, he is loaded. Big house, kids all grown up (and doing well in their careers), no financial worries. He is more than 70 years old. Yet he keeps working full time (he is in great shape, fit to work full time).
 
Cannuck
#23
Poor guy.
 
YukonJack
#24
"Work is more fun than not working."

I was 64 when I retired from a job that I totally adored, but recent transfer made me report to a total a$$hole. If that had not been the case, I would still be happily working. Especially since they changed the compulsory retirement age in Ontario.

I am not "rich", but I am quite comfortable. And even if I were a billionaire, I would not be stupid enough to spend any money for a hair transplant or $500,000 for a car.
 
lone wolf
#25
What is financially secure? I don't have to worry about lay-offs, or making mortgage payments. The bills get paid, and as evidenced by this jellyroll around my belly button, I'm not starving....

I walk in the bush and listen to the critters....
...go out for long drives,
...peck away at this keypad developing ideas from which novels find birth,
...sing to my guitar when Uncle Arthur says it's okay,
...have a great time spinning yarns for the grandkids.

Who the Hell needs money?
 
taxslave
#26
I like what I do too much to retire. Might cut back to under 60 hrs/wk though. When working people retire they tend to die young unless they have something physical to do. OK for government employees that have never done much anyway since their bodies wouldn't notice the difference.
 
SirJosephPorter
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

I like what I do too much to retire. Might cut back to under 60 hrs/wk though. When working people retire they tend to die young unless they have something physical to do. OK for government employees that have never done much anyway since their bodies wouldn't notice the difference.

Many people are like that, taxslave. I don’t know if you have read ‘The Wealthy Barber’ or ‘The Millionaire Next Door’. They both make the point that somebody you know may be a millionaire but you may not know it.

He may be very well off, have plenty of assets (stocks, bonds, real estate etc.), but he lives the middle class life style, he goes to work every day, so it may not even occur to you that the guy may be a millionaire. He likes his work too much (like the wealthy barber) to retire.
 
petros
#28
Quote:

Especially since they changed the compulsory retirement age in Ontario.

You can work untill you are 200 if live that long. There is no age limit. At 65 CPP cuts in but you can still work and even collect E.I. past 65.

You never knew that?
 
Spade
#29
1. Eating
2. Washing up
3. Cooking
4. Serving
5. Eating

From the Royal Commission on Activities of the Retired and Semiretired (2007, Queen's Printer, Ottawa, ON, M0R 2B8 )
 
petros
#30
Royal Commission on Activities?

So this is how Elizardbreath II has been riding out the golden years?
 

Similar Threads

9
Good ways to kill time in toronto
by Johnnny | Mar 6th, 2010
18
Ways of spending free time
by JLM | Nov 24th, 2009
8
How Rich People Spend Their Time
by Scott Free | Aug 15th, 2008
4
Keeping Windows SECURE!
by Andem | Dec 30th, 2004