Toronto Belongs To The Indians

Liberalman
Free Thinker

http://www.aaron.ca/columns/2006-06-10.htm
http://www.indianclaims.ca/claimsmap/mississaugastoronto_med-en.asp
http://www.indianclaims.ca/pdf/Mississauga_English.pdf
http://aaron.ca/columns/Mississauga_English.pdf

The Aboriginal nation is ready to take back what is legally theirs the jewel of Canada and the powerhouse of the nation.

From Rosedale to the Bridle Path, from skid row to working class areas, houses and properties paid for by families years ago will have to pay a lease if they want to keep their properties.

The Canadian Aboriginals are more organized because of their free university education they are doctors, lawyers, engineers, and every professional that have the experience to take over the City of Toronto.

The chief will replace the mayor’s job and the councillors will become elders.

If the people of Toronto are not nice to the Aboriginals then they will be kicked out of Toronto and they will be able to take their houses with them just like other people who were kicked off the land in other areas in Canada.

Toronto will become green again and the city will enjoy the return of the buffalo.

And for the displaced people of Toronto well there’s always Calgary because those cowboys need to be civilized.

pgs
Free Thinker
Thats alright Liberal man.
Here in B.C. the native land claims account for over 100% of the province.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Do you know why that is pgs?

lone wolf
Free Thinker
I saw a map in the band office that depicted how Canada would look if all the land claims were settled in the way every band wants. It was three-and-a-half Canadas. Everyone's traditional territories overlapped. Not bad for people who are of the land!

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

I saw a map in the band office that depicted how Canada would look if all the land claims were settled in the way every band wants. It was three-and-a-half Canadas. Everyone's traditional territories overlapped. Not bad for people who are of the land!

This is true Lone, hence why I have always thought separated land claims, based on antiquated hereditary territories, to be of a nonsensical process. They should unite, get the collective poop in a group and use their f!cking heads.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Do you know why that is pgs?

So tell me - My great grandmother was full blooded Indian. Her and my Grandfather left 160 acres of property to their only child - my Grandmother. A ditzy Uncle I had was left in charge of the estate and when he needed some money, he sold that land (about 1973)for about $9,000.00. We maintain the mineral rights to it. The family was shocked that he sold it without discussion even though he had been given that right. He was white and only married into the family. Now - do I (and my family) have the right to lay claim to the 160 acres?

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

So tell me - My great grandmother was full blooded Indian. Her and my Grandfather left 160 acres of property to their only child - my Grandmother. A ditzy Uncle I had was left in charge of the estate and when he needed some money, he sold that land (about 1973)for about $9,000.00. We maintain the mineral rights to it. The family was shocked that he sold it without discussion even though he had been given that right. He was white and only married into the family. Now - do I (and my family) have the right to lay claim to the 160 acres?

Was it Treatied land ... or just a crook pulling an estate swindle? Landclaims don't work that way. You have the right to enrich a lawyer by taking him to court....

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Only if you can prove your proprietary rights.

Unforgiven
Good luck with that.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

For over a hundred years BC has existed without treaties. Everybody in BC is squatting on native land except for one or two small treaties that were signed with one or two small bands back in the beginning. BC is in the Canadian federation on false pretenses because settling land claims was supposed to be a prerequisite to joining confederation. The government of the day lied to get in. Even today, the government would not be in negotiations with their aboriginal peoples if the Supreme court had not told them to be.

A lot of resource development is hampered by constant court battles, so you would think that settling as fast as possible would seem the smart thing to do, but the government is dragging its ass. I agree with the Bear. At this time you would think that the land claim issue should be done with all aboriginal peoples in one settlement but the government prefers to use divide and conquer tactics, trying to settle on a band by band basis.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
As for the OP, I think giving Toronto back to the aboriginals would be a great improvement to that blight on the face of the earth.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

divide and conquer tactics

Bingo Cliffy...

It's a formidable tactic that has worked for decades...err..centuries.

As for the OP, I think giving Toronto back to the aboriginals would be a great improvement to that blight on the face of the earth.

Too extreme Cliffy. Hell, we can't seem to govern ourselves effectively en mass.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

http://www.aaron.ca/columns/2006-06-10.htm
http://www.indianclaims.ca/claimsmap/mississaugastoronto_med-en.asp
http://www.indianclaims.ca/pdf/Mississauga_English.pdf
http://aaron.ca/columns/Mississauga_English.pdf

The Aboriginal nation is ready to take back what is legally theirs the jewel of Canada and the powerhouse of the nation.

From Rosedale to the Bridle Path, from skid row to working class areas, houses and properties paid for by families years ago will have to pay a lease if they want to keep their properties.

The Canadian Aboriginals are more organized because of their free university education they are doctors, lawyers, engineers, and every professional that have the experience to take over the City of Toronto.

The chief will replace the mayor’s job and the councillors will become elders.

If the people of Toronto are not nice to the Aboriginals then they will be kicked out of Toronto and they will be able to take their houses with them just like other people who were kicked off the land in other areas in Canada.

Toronto will become green again and the city will enjoy the return of the buffalo.

And for the displaced people of Toronto well there’s always Calgary because those cowboys need to be civilized.

No, not all First Nations have access to free education. Only those on-reserve do. And owing to the restrictions on-reserve, there is not much opportunity for advancement. So in reality, only some First Nations actually benefit from free education.

Now as for treaties, well, a treaty is a treaty is a treaty.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Quote:

No, not all First Nations have access to free education. Only those on-reserve do. And owing to the restrictions on-reserve, there is not much opportunity for advancement. So in reality, only some First Nations actually benefit from free education.

Gee what does the Department of Indian and Northern affairs do with the money. Their budget is now over 8 billion dollars a year. It works out to about $11,000.00 per indian and we can't get them through school?

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Gee what does the Department of Indian and Northern affairs do with the money. Their budget is now over 8 billion dollars a year. It works out to about $11,000.00 per indian and we can't get them through school?

I agree there is major corruption somewhere, and it may be that some of the leadership in the Indian community is just as corrupt as in the federal government.

certainly we need to keep a close eye on that. But that's a separate issue from respecting treaties.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

Now as for treaties, well, a treaty is a treaty is a treaty.

wrong....again......you really should stop talking about education period...cause you cant get it right.... at all.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

wrong....again......you really should stop talking about education period...cause you cant get it right.... at all.

If you're not a status indian, you dont get free university. if you live off-reserve likewise.

gerryh

If you're not a status indian, you dont get free university. if you live off-reserve likewise.

Not entirely true..... but Im not about to 'educate" you..."again" as to what is and isn't available.

CDNBear

No kidding you should be rolling your eyes.

First the bloated MIA take nearly 50% for administering to the First Nation, then the province takes a chunk, then on average any given Native would only recieve around 4500CDN in services/year.

As I have proven to you time and time again.

You continued ignorance to the facts, is willful and thus must be based on bigotry or racism.

Think carefully before you bitch at me about making that claim of you. It wasn't based on disagreement, it is based solely on your willfully ignoring fact to further your contempt for the Native community.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Not entirely true..... but Im not about to 'educate" you..."again" as to what is and isn't available.

Not false either!

bobnoorduyn
Free Thinker

For over a hundred years BC has existed without treaties. Everybody in BC is squatting on native land except for one or two small treaties that were signed with one or two small bands back in the beginning.

You kind of answered the problem right there. Depending on the province, say Ontario, if you live on the land and treat it as yours for ten years without dispute, you may have a case to actually evict the deeded owner. It's called squatters' rights. In the UK it is even easier, folks have come home from vacation only to find squatters in their home, legally.

To protect your property you have to defend it vigilantly or it will be taken, this is the way it has been worldwide for time immemorial; so why are some folks suddenly so special? If that were the case myself and millions of others would have valid claims against other governmetns or countries that kicked our forefathers off their ancestral lands.

We cannot have a peacful existance with different people living under different laws based on ethnicity within the same country as we do now. We can see the chaos it has already caused. Native land may have been take illegally, I wasn't there, neither were any of you, so now the suggestion is to take other peoples' property illegally and give back to people who never owned it in the first place. I don't see that as going down too well.

Machjo
According to this:

Atleo sets an example for Indian education reform - The Globe and Mail

The feds also fund Indian schools more poorly than provincial governments do by about 1000$ per student!

Machjo
The myth of 'free' education - Winnipeg Free Press

bobnoorduyn
Free Thinker

First the bloated MIA take nearly 50% for administering to the First Nation, then the province takes a chunk, then on average any given Native would only recieve around 4500CDN in services/year.

I think you forgot to mention the local level of government, which also has to take its share before the money hits the street. Governments, all governments, are hungry beasts, which is why tax freedom day comes in July. Over half of what we earn is taxed away.

gerryh

The myth of 'free' education - Winnipeg Free Press

oped with no supporting documentation...... no more than Bear shooting of his mouth.

gerryh

According to this:

Atleo sets an example for Indian education reform - The Globe and Mail

The feds also fund Indian schools more poorly than provincial governments do by about 1000$ per student!

another oped....

#juan
No Party Affiliation

As I have proven to you time and time again.

You continued ignorance to the facts, is willful and thus must be based on bigotry or racism.

Think carefully before you bitch at me about making that claim of you. It wasn't based on disagreement, it is based solely on your willfully ignoring fact to further your contempt for the Native community.

Bull, Bull, & bull.

Bitch at you? I didn't talk to you. I also didn't say the natives received that money. The money goes to the DNIA and a good part of it is wasted there.
The longer we keep native Canadians on the public teat, the worse it will be, but I've also said that many times on these boards over the last few years but you prefer to play the stupid race card. A person doesn't have to be a racist to be tired of his/her money being thrown away for years with no good result.

pgs
Free Thinker

Bull, Bull, & bull.

Bitch at you? I didn't talk to you. I also didn't say the natives received that money. The money goes to the DNIA and a good part of it is wasted there.
The longer we keep native Canadians on the public teat, the worse it will be, but I've also said that many times on these boards over the last few years but you prefer to play the stupid race card. A person doesn't have to be a racist to be tired of his/her money being thrown away for years with no good result.

Hear hear!
Right on Juan.

Machjo
I think one thing would be to find a way to get that money from the top to the bottom without getting skimmed from at ever step of the way. It might also involve not giving the money directly, but rather in the form of services in some cases if there is a concern for the money being misused.

Or a simple solution might be to try to introduce more grassroots participation in the process so as to prevent the leaders siffoning off that money. Because if we're giving that much money and most First Nations aren't benefitting from it, it must be going somewhere.

gerryh
I have an idea....how about we just stop enabling.