The wisdom of Bill Cosby

#juan
I've always enjoyed Bill Cosby as a comedien but here he speaks absolute common sense, and something that has needed saying for a long time
MySpace.com Blogs - CAFFEINE BOMB MySpace Blog

TenPenny
Harry Belafonte and Bill Cosby had a major falling out back in the day, Belafonte considered that Cosby 'sold out' to be the token funny black guy that was acceptable to the white folks, and wouldn't upset them too much by acting 'black'.

gerryh
what the hell is "acting black"?

Cannuck
This is acting white...

This is acting black

Any questions?

mt_pockets1000
I've always enjoyed Mr. Cosby's comedy. Proof positive you don't need vulgar language to be funny. I saw him live back in 1978 at a fair in London, ON. Well, I was in attendance. My seat was way in the back and Cosby was a little speck on stage. But he still managed to make me laugh so hard I had tears running down my face. At the time he was doing his dentist routine and it was hilarious.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

This is acting white...

This is acting black

Any questions?

No....that's a nerd and the other one is an insecure little ****. Skin colour has nothing to do with either one.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

No....that's a nerd and the other one is an insecure little ****. Skin colour has nothing to do with either one.

Did anyone say "skin colour" in racist terms?

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Harry Belafonte and Bill Cosby had a major falling out back in the day, Belafonte considered that Cosby 'sold out' to be the token funny black guy that was acceptable to the white folks, and wouldn't upset them too much by acting 'black'.

I think that is way way back in the day. Bill Cosby has a PHD in Education. I first heard this little talk at least 15 years ago and thought it was timely criticism of a lot of black parenting. Btw, Cosby's kids are very well educated. What is strange is that When I was still working I met two black families, The parents spoke flawless, unaccented English, and the male children wore their hats backwards and spoke the same crap that Cosby mentioned. Where are they getting this garbage? TV? alien invaders?

Zan
Juan, I've learned that when I ask those kinds of questions, I really date myself lolll. Seriously though, much of this has become synonymous with the youth culture today... if ya don't like it, wait it out... it'll morph into something even more palatable in about 15 years or so...

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Zan View Post

Juan, I've learned that when I ask those kinds of questions, I really date myself lolll. Seriously though, much of this has become synonymous with the youth culture today... if ya don't like it, wait it out... it'll morph into something even more palatable in about 15 years or so...

Is there any guarantee that it will be more palatable? The kids I talked about came from professional parents and last I heard, the boys, in their early twenties, were working at a carwash.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

I think that is way way back in the day. Bill Cosby has a PHD in Education. I first heard this little talk at least 15 years ago and thought it was timely criticism of a lot of black parenting. Btw, Cosby's kids are very well educated. What is strange is that When I was still working I met two black families, The parents spoke flawless, unaccented English, and the male children wore their hats backwards and spoke the same crap that Cosby mentioned. Where are they getting this garbage? TV? alien invaders?

Yes, that was way, way back, when black people were still fighting to be recognized as people. In a way, they took different approaches toward the same goal.

I don't think parents can be blamed for ALL of the behaviours of their kids; to some extent, every kid starts to use the slang and style of their peer group. It's always been that way.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

what the hell is "acting black"?

Not acting like a white middle class suburbanite.

Zan

Is there any guarantee that it will be more palatable?

whoops! What I meant to say was:

Quote: Originally Posted by Zan;1076679[COLOR=DarkOrchid

wait it out... it'll morph into something even more palatable in about 15 years or so..

there... does it make more sense now?

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Zan View Post

whoops! What I meant to say was:

there... does it make more sense now?

It always made sense Karen. It's just that those twenty odd year old "kids" are slouching around in clothes that look like they were stolen off somebody on East Hastings and the parents probably need an interpreter just to talk to them.

Libra Girl

I've always enjoyed Bill Cosby as a comedien but here he speaks absolute common sense, and something that has needed saying for a long time
MySpace.com Blogs - CAFFEINE BOMB MySpace Blog

Yes, one can't help but love Cosby's, wit, humor and charisma, and he does speak a lot of common sense as you say yuan; but, he does have an alleged darker side...

http://www.theipinionsjournal.com/index.php/2006/11/update-bill-cosby-pays-off-woman-who-accused-him-of-rape/

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20059561,00.html

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0420051_bill_cosby_1.html

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20146973,00.html