Linux

hariharan
#1
Hi,
I am using Microsoft product for years. Now I would like to switch to free Linux. I donít know anything about this operating system. Can anyone suggest me from where can I download free Linux and which is the best one.

 
MHz
#2
Try Ubuntu, if you don't have a spare HD you can test it from a Live CD. Having it on another HD is the best way to go if you are just starting to use Linux.

Other distributions are just as good, it's just a matter of picking the right one for your needs. This site gives you a short tour of the major ones.
http://distrowatch.com/
 
hariharan
#3
thanks MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Try Ubuntu, if you don't have a spare HD you can test it from a Live CD. Having it on another HD is the best way to go if you are just starting to use Linux.

Other distributions are just as good, it's just a matter of picking the right one for your needs. This site gives you a short tour of the major ones.
http://distrowatch.com/

 
#juan
#4
You should be able to download a copy of DSL(damn small linux) Load it onto a CD and run it live off the CD. It has all the stuff you really need including the Firefox browser. It will take a lot of the fear out of trying Linux.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/10...-4-0-released/
 
DurkaDurka
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

You should be able to download a copy of DSL(damn small linux) Load it onto a CD and run it live off the CD. It has all the stuff you really need including the Firefox browser. It will take a lot of the fear out of trying Linux.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/10...-4-0-released/

Juan, do you have linux up and running on any of your PC's?
 
#juan
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Juan, do you have linux up and running on any of your PC's?

I mentioned yesterday that I had had a hard drive problem. I switched to another machine eventually so I don't have Linux running but I can have DS Linux up and going in five minutes. What did you have in mind?
 
DurkaDurka
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

I mentioned yesterday that I had had a hard drive problem. I switched to another machine eventually so I don't have Linux running but I can have DS Linux up and going in five minutes. What did you have in mind?

I have used slackware, redhat, ubuntu and Suse. Out of those, I would say ubuntu is the best for a day to day OS.
 
#juan
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

I have used slackware, redhat, ubuntu and Suse. Out of those, I would say ubuntu is the best for a day to day OS.

I think ubunto is more user-friendly than slackware but I'm still learning. If somebody wants to switch from Windows to Linux, DSL is certainly the most painless way to start IMO.
 
johai
#9
I have had my Canonical Ubuntu system for almost a year and will be going into my third upgrade in about a week. The first was Feisty Fawn 7.04 then Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 and now onto Hardy Heron 8.04. All of this was diskless other than saving files and was free as are all applications and superb security upgrades and updates. Try ubuntu.com. The pricing was less than MicroWorks and that was the complete system. Ask ubuntu for a free conversion disk to make your Microsoft ubuntu compatible. Had it hooked up and running in 15 minutes. It's a tried and true alternative to Microsoft.
FYI: Microsoft receives $50 pure profit from any desktop system produced and $100 pure profit from any laptop system with their software installed.
A big thumbs up for Ubuntu.
 
johai
#10
I have had my Canonical Ubuntu system for almost a year and will be going into my third upgrade in about a week. The first was Feisty Fawn 7.04 then Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 and now onto Hardy Heron 8.04. All of this was diskless other than saving files and was free as are all applications and superb security upgrades and updates. Try ubuntu.com. The pricing was less than MicroWorks and that was the complete system. Ask ubuntu for a free conversion disk to make your Microsoft ubuntu compatible. Had it hooked up and running in 15 minutes. It's a tried and true alternative to Microsoft.
FYI: Microsoft receives $50 pure profit from any desktop system produced and $100 pure profit from any laptop system with their software installed.
A big thumbs up for Ubuntu.
 

Similar Threads

0
Is Linux Like Windows?
by scratch | Jun 2nd, 2008
3
Converting to LInux
by johai | May 22nd, 2008
1
Even More Flavours of Linux
by Vanni Fucci | Jun 29th, 2005
0
Install and use Linux for yourself
by Judland | Jan 4th, 2005
4
Want to try linux?
by Technology Bot | Jun 2nd, 2004