Miracles you experienced?

AndyF
I was hoping we could share miracles that have occured in our lives. I'll start with myself.

I think first one needs to understand the times to see what a position I was in. Mine occured in the 50's when I was in grade 4 attending a Catholic school. Those times for learning Institutions weren't good for children. An appropriate description would be "Penal Colony". Even the Catholic Academys of higher learning like the world renowned Loyola College which my father attended still had corporal back-side punishment administered to adults by the Jesuits. This was typical. The schools had carte blanche free will to discipline has they pleased, and the parents would look aside with full support. Movies such has Angela's Ashes displayed the typical scenerio of Catholic Montreal of that era.

In my case there was an inevitable collition of wills. Due probably to an Irish/French mix, I was destined to be a stubborn Tom Sawyer. You couldn't get me interested in homework, and when the time came that all the moms called their kids in for that, mine included, I was nowhere to be found. For some reason I flew through to grade three doing average, but in grade 4 I got a matronly, bun haired, monacled,obese spinster with the typical sturn lipped expression which was her usual one. She was definitely unhappy. She had a habit of dragging my type around with their ears sometimes drawing blood, and she relished sneaking behind the children and swatting the back of the knuckles with a ruler if you didn't quite get the curve of the letter S right. An adult would describe her has one that was due to retirement and was clearly burned out and should have been sent out to pasture. Our principle was a whimpish character, and when they disagreed with each other in the hall way, he always had his eyes cast down. I was sent to him which seemed like every two days to get the strap which consisted of a 1/4in razor strap to the back of the hands.

Anyway, one day I was asked to complete a multiplication on the blackboard. I recall it was 4 digits by 3 digits. Now she did this often and she loved setting me up for an example to her pets who would laugh at my misery. I didn't know all the tables, and none to completion. I went up this day dreading the inevitable ear drag to come and I pretty well had enough of the terror, so I asked God to help me. I remember I just picked up the chalk and wrote any number that came into my head. I filled the three rows drew a line and scribbled down some numbers for an answer. I put the chalk down, hunched my shoulders and waited, no barage of erasers or chalk flying at me, nothing.

"OK, you can sit down. Now children we will turn to page ........." I was dumbfounded. I got it right to everyone's dismay. That is a bonafide miracle, and even if we relegate it to the realm of probability, maybe a trillion to one chance of getting it right.

That is my first of others to follow.

AndyF

tamarin
Was it a miracle or simply her appreciation of your nerve? Hmmm, didn't you want to write that board question down and recheck its accuracy at home?

Dexter Sinister
That's a miracle? That you did a simple arithmetic problem correctly under pressure? With standards of evidence that low you'll be seeing miracles everywhere.

tamarin
It's not a miracle but it certainly is weird. I have close to 10 000 pictures of family and scenes and whatever on my computer and the pictures pop up as a screen saver. It's wonderful. I have only 8 pictures of my dad on there. He passed away in 1974. Yet, and it's been this way for quite awhile, the picture that most frequently is on the screen when I enter the computer room is my father. It does spook me a bit.

Dexter Sinister
Might just be a simple matter of timing. Do you tend to enter the computer room around the same time every day? Maybe the software that makes the selection isn't random and those pictures of your dad happen to be favoured because of their locations in the directory tree or their addresses on disk. Might just be selective memory too: you remember the times when a picture of your dad was on the screen, and nothing else particularly stands out among your 9,992 other pictures. That's a very common perceptual error; it's the same sort of thing that convinces people that more weird things happen when the moon is full, for instance.

tamarin
Good points! I'm always adding pictures to the library and the pictures of my dad are in different folders. No single file with the 8. I have no set time to enter the room and I've been in at least 7 times today and he's been on the screen twice on entering. He is definitely the most frequent picture to be there when I enter the room. And what gets me, all the pics I have of him have his face directly looking at you. You'd almost think he had something to say.

Curiosity
Miracles are a personal event and if some wish to believe...... why present a personal argument against their belief?

I like to think we humans still have enough of that fantasy life living within that we can experience a miracle on occasion and baptize it as such. I think it is in contrast to our dark side of seeing the world through eyes which insist on unquestioned fact and knowledge.

The moon has a great influence on the earth and its patterns - witness the ebb and flow of the ocean tides and during a full moon there is documentation by those involved of more violence and medical emergencies.

Whether this is a miracle or not is debatable, but rather a mundane occurrence of our planet and its relationship to other space objects.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

That's a miracle? That you did a simple arithmetic problem correctly under pressure? With standards of evidence that low you'll be seeing miracles everywhere.

Another possibility that seems most likely is that the teacher didn't check the math and the wrong answer simply stayed there until the board was cleaned.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Another possibility that seems most likely is that the teacher didn't check the math and the wrong answer simply stayed there until the board was cleaned.

I know a person, dare not say who, who received a letter from revenue canada asking for documented verification of a tax entry. Upon examining the item in question said person realized it was wrong and revcan would nail them with additional tax. But said person sent it in anyway and later received a reply from RevCan to thank said person for the verification documents and to consider the case closed.

It was a bloody miracle I say! (or said person likely would say)

L Gilbert
lol
Miracle , my a$$.
No-one has mentioned that the sub-conscious also works on identifying things, solving problems, planning things, etc.

I think not
That sure puts the parting of the Red Sea to shame.

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post

The moon has a great influence on the earth and its patterns - witness the ebb and flow of the ocean tides...

True.
Quote:

... and during a full moon there is documentation by those involved of more violence and medical emergencies.

False. Analysis does not bear that out. http://www.skepdic.com/fullmoon.html

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

I know a person, dare not say who, who received a letter from revenue canada asking for documented verification of a tax entry. Upon examining the item in question said person realized it was wrong and revcan would nail them with additional tax. But said person sent it in anyway and later received a reply from RevCan to thank said person for the verification documents and to consider the case closed.

It was a bloody miracle I say! (or said person likely would say)

If you see that said person, tell him that bluff was worthy of the absolute best poker players.

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not View Post

Assuming it happened at all. Pretty tough to verify...

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not View Post

Is there any evidence of that occurrence actually being real? I flew one timewithout the aid of wings or helium. Just started flapping and away I went. Of course, I don't have any evidence of the occurrence, but that's my miracle.

I think not
Sunday afternoon blues couldn't pickup the humor guys?

Dexter Sinister
It needed one of these:

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by tamarin View Post

It's not a miracle but it certainly is weird. I have close to 10 000 pictures of family and scenes and whatever on my computer and the pictures pop up as a screen saver. It's wonderful. I have only 8 pictures of my dad on there. He passed away in 1974. Yet, and it's been this way for quite awhile, the picture that most frequently is on the screen when I enter the computer room is my father. It does spook me a bit.

I have a picture of my aunty, a kindred spirit and wonderful woman, who passed away this February. It will pop up completely unexpectedly on my computer screen at times when I am stressed out, without the aid of a program such as a slide show, it will simply open. The most noticeable is when I am mad at my son. While she was dying, we had many a discussion about how similar my little guy is to her son, and the special connections, as well as the extra stress, such children bring. It's hilarious and creepy all at the same time.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

It needed one of these:

It is kinda hard to sense humor without audibles or visuals fersher.

Tonington
The only miracles I've experienced were drug induced. Now I guess you could say I'm born again.

L Gilbert
No bushes talking while they're burning anymore? Wow! What a boring life you must lead now. lol

Tonington
Heh, I wouldn't say boring, a little more clarity around me though.

tamarin
Karrie, reminds me of that Police Album moniker "Ghost in the Machine"!
I'm not sure if I believe in miracles although I do hope they exist. But I do know I've witnessed a number of what I can only call supernatural happenings in my life. There is something out there but I'm not sure what it is.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by tamarin View Post

Karrie, reminds me of that Police Album moniker "Ghost in the Machine"!
I'm not sure if I believe in miracles although I do hope they exist. But I do know I've witnessed a number of what I can only call supernatural happenings in my life. There is something out there but I'm not sure what it is.

personally, if it's something that happens in your life to change you for the better, it's a miracle. It may be perfectly easy for someone else to explain away, but that just simply doesn't matter. If it speaks to you, gives you courage, strength, guidance, that's all you need to know about it.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

personally, if it's something that happens in your life to change you for the better, it's a miracle. It may be perfectly easy for someone else to explain away, but that just simply doesn't matter. If it speaks to you, gives you courage, strength, guidance, that's all you need to know about it.

I'll go for that, although I doubt I'd call it "miracle"; that's the stuff I like to put in my sandwiches.

Dexter Sinister
You who believe in miracles must be using a pretty soft definition of the word. David Hume figured all this out over 250 years ago in a book called An Inquiry Concerning Human Understanding published in 1748. He defined a miracle as "a transgression of a law of nature by a particular volition of the Deity, or by the interposition of some invisible agent." His argument is short and simple: "A miracle is a violation of the laws of nature; and as a firm and unalterable experience has established these laws, the proof against a miracle, from the very nature of the fact, is as entire as any argument from experience can possibly be imagined." His conclusion is equally short and simple: no testimony can establish that a miracle has happened unless the testimony is such that its being false would be even more miraculous than the miracle it's trying to establish.

By that standard, there has never been a miracle.

tamarin
I've always been a fan of folklore, giants and fairies, and that wonderful host of unseen things that lies just outside our ken. And I've always wanted to believe in miracles. If they don't exist they should. There are laws of nature but surely being laws something somewhere has not only the will but the power to bend them.