How Immigrants View Canada


azkhan
#1
Hello Everybody,

It seems my last posting a short while ago about immigrants' horrible experiences in your great country touched on such a raw nerve, that the Canadian censorship board got around to deleting it!

Well, in order to view the entire contents, please visit the website <snip> and click on the forum link on the top right side of the page. You'll be amazed at what you read!!!

AZKHAN

<Edit: Stop spamming this forum with your web site address>
 
zenfisher
#2
Now your being silly. You posted a whole board which is a copyright violation. that could have in turn had this whole board shutdown. Its that simple.
 
peapod
#3
Post what you like, just don't post an entire thread from a different board, a link is good.
 
Hank C Cheyenne
#4
...after reading some of the posts on the site Akbar gave us..... I actually found some of these complaints valid...

Quote:

Canada is a "do economy"........the USA is a "think economy". Canada is a service based country......where spa treatments are more important than IT work. We don't have many industries that are our own. They are all American.....the USA owns us.....all the head offices and research centers.. (thinking jobs)....are in the USA........we are the "do economy". Canada is a land of "blue collar workers"....where white collar work has 0 value....that is why everyone is driving taxis.

But things are going to get worse in Canada. Whatever jobs there were......all the jobs are going to India..................so be prepared. Do not invest in higher education. It will not pay off. I have been here for 40 years. I know better.

Quote:

I would not call Canada a land of opportunity by any estimation, at least not anymore - with the US economy on very shaky ground, Canada is sure to suffer a decline in its standard of living very soon, since our economy is entirely dependent upon exports to the US.

Quote:

A lot of Canadians want to talk about tolerance , yet talk about the their southern neighbor and you could almost literally see horns coming out from their foreheads (Canadians). You talk about equality and yet you have people called new Canadians begging for an opportunity , not outright jobs, but an opportunity to land that job.

 
no1important
#5
Well Hank, that was the biggest load of crap I ever read. If you are so negative about Canada go back to amerika.
 
Hank C Cheyenne
#6
ok no1important....... please tell me which of these comments is a load of crap and give your reasons or information that is contradicting......

....I also understand that these are personal thoughts but can you prove them wrong?
 
no1important
#7
All 3 are a load of crap. Just open your eyes a little.
 
neocon-hunter
#8
Canada's Immigration

mmm Hank why so many come here then?

Canada's population grew faster than nearly all of its major industrialized counterparts over the past decade, topped only by the United States, Statistics Canada said Wednesday.

From 1994 to 2004, the Canadian population grew at a rate of 1 per cent – the second fastest pace among the Group of 8 nations.

The United States ranked first with growth of 1.1 per cent over that period.

“Because of the contribution of migration, Canadian population growth kept pace with that of the United States,” Statscan said.

When it came to immigration, however, Canada ranked first among G8 nations during the study period, with a net international migration rate of 0.61 per cent. (That rate represents the change in population between two dates when the number of people who leave the country are subtracted from the number of immigrants.)

“The United States followed Canada with a net international migration rate of 0.52 per cent, and three countries – Germany, United Kingdom and the Russian Federation – posted migratory growth rates just above the 0.20 per cent level,” Statscan said in Wednesday's report.
 
Hank C Cheyenne
#9
neocon hunter.....

.....I am not trying to prove people don't want to come to Canada.......hell this is a great country and people from all over want to immigrate here.....that is not what im trying to prove...however that is what you took of the comments that I posted....

...read the comments again......what I was trying to say was more on the side of the economy and Canada's relation with the USA.... the so called "do" vs "think economy"..... and the comments about the possibe decline of the Canadian standard of living.....

...again these are personal comments made by an unknow person and some of the bias is evident...ex.. "Do not invest in higher education. It will not pay off. I have been here for 40 years. I know better. ".....but look at the underlying message..
 
Hank C Cheyenne
#10
...I guess NeoconHunter and No1Importaint are all tucked in and fast asleep...
 
Reverend Blair
#11
Hank, the Do vs. Think thing isn't really true. If a Canadian IT company starts doing well, it is bought out by US interests and the best jobs shipped south. That's one of the many, many flaws of NAFTA.

At the same time we have managed to hold on to a lot of our manufacturing jobs and we do have a sizable knowledge based economy. Most of that is either very small companies or owned by US interests though.

We do invest in higher education. We have a larger percentage of university grads than the US does. The jobs aren't always there for them when they graduate, largely because of the NAFTA thing that I mentioned earlier, but we do make the investment.
 
Hank C Cheyenne
#12
Quote:

Hank, the Do vs. Think thing isn't really true. If a Canadian IT company starts doing well, it is bought out by US interests and the best jobs shipped south. That's one of the many, many flaws of NAFTA.

...agree

Quote:

At the same time we have managed to hold on to a lot of our manufacturing jobs and we do have a sizable knowledge based economy. Most of that is either very small companies or owned by US interests though.

...agree
Quote:

We do invest in higher education. We have a larger percentage of university grads than the US does. The jobs aren't always there for them when they graduate, largely because of the NAFTA thing that I mentioned earlier, but we do make the investment.

...again agree

...I am not arguing that Canada is a blue collar society....and that you can't get knowledge based jobs here.....this is simply not true

...all im trying to say is that Canada does over 80% foreign exports to the US......55% of Canada's GDP can be linked to US in some way... and with the looming US economic crisis many are predicting ...this will have a negative effect on the Canadian economy and therefore our "quality of life"...... we are in it together side by side and we need to work on a stronger North American economy together.....including Mexico...I would be open to North America becoming more like the EU....... while soverighn status for its members....

.....although the so called "brain drain" has truth to it, I beleive Canada is a big winner in NAFTA...the simple fact is that the US are consumers and Canada with its resources and manufacturing come out on top.... we owe alot of our quality of life to being neighbours to the USA.....sure it doesn't mean we go to war when they want us to or we give up soverighnty ...but the people who wish the demise of the US economic giant,claiming that we can watch it from a safe distance are fooling themselves.....
 
Reverend Blair
#13
We can watch it from a much safer distance if we get the hell out of NAFTA.

The truth is that trade with the US was growing faster before the orginal FTA and NAFTA. The truth is that we have given up much of our sovereignty for NAFTA. The truth is that while Canada abides by NAFTA, the US does whatever the hell it wants anyway.

We can and are diversifying our markets. We need to do it more quickly and Martin needs to tell the Americans to piss off on any further integration, especially as it relates to the fake war on drugs and "security issues" that have Canadians being deported and tortured.

The US is failing and Canada and Mexico can't save it. China owns more US debt than anybody. OPEC decides who gets to have the world's petro-currency. The EU is likely going to sue the US, and win, because its refusal to join Kyoto and other lax environmental laws (not to mention foreign policies) amount to de facto subsidy.

Canada and Mexico have no control over any of those things and closer ties to the US will make things worse, not better.
 
Hank C Cheyenne
#14
Quote:

We can watch it from a much safer distance if we get the hell out of NAFTA.

...the sheer volume and amount of trade done between the US and Canada is astronomical.....its the largest trade volume between two nations on the planet....to say that pulling out of NAFTA and ceasing trade with the US is ridiculous...if our economy has any bearing in mind...

....what will happen to the Ontario manufacturing sector and its retail trade , Canada's economic engine would come to a halt....... what you think.....that we would make cars for the Chinese and the Europeans?

Canada is also a consuming nation.....and racking up our debt would be inevetable..... of course oil and other resources will hold value but can Canada's entire economy be based on resource...will we be able to keep our standard of living?

Quote:

We can and are diversifying our markets.

...yes this is a good idea to expand our markets will be a benefit.....an example would be expanding out slaughter capacity becuase of the BSE crisis and that is positive so we are not completely slave to the US....
 
Nascar_James
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by neocon-hunter

Canada's Immigration

mmm Hank why so many come here then?

Canada's population grew faster than nearly all of its major industrialized counterparts over the past decade, topped only by the United States, Statistics Canada said Wednesday.

From 1994 to 2004, the Canadian population grew at a rate of 1 per cent – the second fastest pace among the Group of 8 nations.

The United States ranked first with growth of 1.1 per cent over that period.

I guess the US will always be more popular amungst immigrants than Canada. No mystery there. The American Dream is what it's all about.
 
Andem
Free Thinker
#16
People around the world have mostly come to the conclusion that whatever the American Dream may have been, is farce now. Atleast here in Europe, the general idea is that the US is not the place to go, not even on vacation.
 
Reverend Blair
#17
Quote:

the sheer volume and amount of trade done between the US and Canada is astronomical.....its the largest trade volume between two nations on the planet....to say that pulling out of NAFTA and ceasing trade with the US is ridiculous...if our economy has any bearing in mind...

I didn't say anything about ceasing trade though, I said we should diversify trade. Pulling out of NAFTA will allow us to play by the same rules as the US, since the US refuses to honour the agreement. I also pointed out that trade between the US and Canada was growing faster before the FTA and NAFTA than it has since.

Quote:

what will happen to the Ontario manufacturing sector and its retail trade , Canada's economic engine would come to a halt....... what you think.....that we would make cars for the Chinese and the Europeans?

Actually, there's no reason why we can't...especially when alternative fuel vehicles start hitting the market. We built cars here before NAFTA though, and we would continue to build them and to sell them into the US market.

Quote:

Canada is also a consuming nation.....and racking up our debt would be inevetable..... of course oil and other resources will hold value but can Canada's entire economy be based on resource...will we be able to keep our standard of living?

Why would it be inevitable. If we limited the amount of foreign ownership, it would encourage diversification.

The idea that getting out of NAFTA and diversifying our trade means that we could no longer trade with the US is ridiculous. The trade would continue, but we would have more control over both our resources and our sovereignty.
 
Nascar_James
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Andem

People around the world have mostly come to the conclusion that whatever the American Dream may have been, is farce now. Atleast here in Europe, the general idea is that the US is not the place to go, not even on vacation.

You have to admit, Andem that although the US accpets more immigrants than any other country, many folks who are unsuccessful in immigrating to the US fall back on their second choice, which is Canada.
 
Said1
Free Thinker
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Why would it be inevitable. If we limited the amount of foreign ownership, it would encourage diversification.

Huge problem. Foreign investors (Americans) tend to cut and run when the economy slips.
 
peapod
#20
funny innit? I just heard that canada's ecomony is booming, the interest rates are going up yours however is in da tank....shove your bragging up you cheddar I will go find a link about it tho.
 
Said1
Free Thinker
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Nascar_James

Quote: Originally Posted by Andem

People around the world have mostly come to the conclusion that whatever the American Dream may have been, is farce now. Atleast here in Europe, the general idea is that the US is not the place to go, not even on vacation.

You have to admit, Andem that although the US accpets more immigrants than any other country, many folks who are unsuccessful in immigrating to the US fall back on their second choice, which is Canada.

That's only because Canada does not possess climates that mimic those found in Africa, Mexico, and the Middle East. It's purely a matter of tempurature.
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Nascar_James

Quote: Originally Posted by Andem

People around the world have mostly come to the conclusion that whatever the American Dream may have been, is farce now. Atleast here in Europe, the general idea is that the US is not the place to go, not even on vacation.

You have to admit, Andem that although the US accpets more immigrants than any other country, many folks who are unsuccessful in immigrating to the US fall back on their second choice, which is Canada.

and the condescending point is????

Ya know.......if people WANT to come here, and do so through proper channels and accomodate to our way of life (assimilate)......FINE. Not a problem. They are welcome and diversity is a treasure. Now if they don't or wish to whine, bitch, complain and compare .... then do us all a favor and stay the heck out of here and go to America. No one is forcing anyone to come here, live here or stay here. Don't like it??? get the feck out.....and go south ......and follow the American "dream" /FANTASY .

We have the good fortune and common sense to be grounded in reality and can differentiate dreams from fantasies.

To those the come, wish to come.....and are willing to adapt to our lifestyle etc and work to wards making Canada a continuing progressive nation.........the welcome mat is out for ya.


not sure why the feck .....the USers have to make everything a damned contest. Almost sounds like developemental penis envy. (ya know, : mine is bigger/better than yours). Will be interesting to see what "america " looks like when it actually matures.

btw: there is no need to "defend" Canada.........as CA stands on its own merit ........or lack of. It speaks for itself......and all the verbal defending is just going to politicize something that does not have to be tarnished that way.

"he who protests too much"....(and all that)
 
Nascar_James
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

funny innit? I just heard that canada's ecomony is booming, the interest rates are going up yours however is in da tank....shove your bragging up you cheddar I will go find a link about it tho.

Well, Peapod as long as Canada's taxes keep staying higher and Canada's unemployment rate stays higher, the top choice for immigrants will continue to be the USA.
 
Reverend Blair
#24
By 0.1% according to the statistics in this thread.
 
Hank C Cheyenne
#25
Quote:

Huge problem. Foreign investors (Americans) tend to cut and run when the economy slips.

...lol great observation Einstein.....and do you think this is an American phenomenon? ahahahah

Quote:

That's only because Canada does not possess climates that mimic those found in Africa, Mexico, and the Middle East. It's purely a matter of tempurature.

...ahahahahah......you simply don't have the extent of knowledge to participate in this thread Oprah.... go back to your little 5 pounders.....
 
peapod
#26
Careful pepper, one can almost see the perspiration How could anyone take you seriously
 
Martin Le Acadien
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

funny innit? I just heard that canada's ecomony is booming, the interest rates are going up yours however is in da tank....shove your bragging up you cheddar I will go find a link about it tho.

With all the money FEMA is now pumping out down here in Louisiana, you'd think the're drunken sailors on leave! $2,000 for each Household, Insurance checks coming in and the Oil Industry hiring like crazy with drilling starting back up!

$87 Billion to Louisiana, Sheesh, now is the time to get out the wheelbarrow, Boucoup argent ici!
 
Hank C Cheyenne
#28
Quote:

Pulling out of NAFTA will allow us to play by the same rules as the US, since the US refuses to honour the agreement. I also pointed out that trade between the US and Canada was growing faster before the FTA and NAFTA than it has since.

...well, you are simply wrong on your point that trade was growing faster before NAFTA. The simple fact is that trade between the USA and CAnada has risen dramatically and as a result Canada does have a multi billion dollar trade surplus with the US. Before free trade exports accounted for significantly less of Canada's GDP than after. The Canadian manufacturing sector has close to doubled it's exports (in percentage of output & overall output) since NAFTA and FTA. Something like 1 in 3 Canadian jobs is now devoted to production of good and services for export.... not only this but FTA has acheived it goal of tariff elimination..although there are a few problems as we see today ex) softwood.......but it is surprising there are soo few problems given the sheer amount of trade done..
Pulling out of NAFTA is liberal wet dream, a few problems and they want to scrap the whole thing....

Quote:

We built cars here before NAFTA though, and we would continue to build them and to sell them into the US market. The idea that getting out of NAFTA and diversifying our trade means that we could no longer trade with the US is ridiculous.

...you assume too much.....pulling out of NAFTA would be a slap in the face of the US....and if you think that trade would be normalized.....shit I'd be surprised if the US diden't ban Canadian exports......although our oil is of value to them.....there's the Alberta factor again..

Quote:

Why would it be inevitable. If we limited the amount of foreign ownership, it would encourage diversification.

....lol ...good luck in limiting foreign ownership...I mean it sounds good but....
 
Reverend Blair
#29
Quote:

well, you are simply wrong on your point that trade was growing faster before NAFTA.

Actually, I'm not wrong. Do your research.

Quote:

The simple fact is that trade between the USA and CAnada has risen dramatically and as a result Canada does have a multi billion dollar trade surplus with the US. Before free trade exports accounted for significantly less of Canada's GDP than after.

Trade was still growing at a faster rate before NAFTA. What you are doing is the equivalent of driving a car at 100 kph, then slowing down to 90 kph and claiming that you never would have reached 90 kph if you continued driving 100. Do your research.

Quote:

Pulling out of NAFTA is liberal wet dream, a few problems and they want to scrap the whole thing....

The Liberals have kept us in NAFTA. Stephen Harper mused about pulling us out a couple of weeks ago. Do your research.

Quote:

you assume too much.....pulling out of NAFTA would be a slap in the face of the US....and if you think that trade would be normalized.....shit I'd be surprised if the US diden't ban Canadian exports......although our oil is of value to them.....there's the Alberta factor again..

Without our energy, and that includes gas and electricity as well as oil, it is questionable whether the US could even feed itself. Industry would certainly shut down. Do your research.

You see the problem here Hank? Your ignorance of the facts, driven by your pathological worship of the American greenback and you psychotic fear of reality, is keeping you from looking at anything from outside of your tiny, storybook fantasy of how the world works.
 
Hank C Cheyenne
#30
Quote:

Trade was still growing at a faster rate before NAFTA. What you are doing is the equivalent of driving a car at 100 kph, then slowing down to 90 kph and claiming that you never would have reached 90 kph if you continued driving 100. Do your research.

care to back up your statements.....a link ?
 

Similar Threads

139
12
Ralph's view of Canada
by cyberclark | Jan 27th, 2006