Why aren't immigrants welcome in Alberta, Canada?

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by vinod1975 View Post

Thanks for all welcomes , I have many many friends and relative with very high skill sets [ specially Doctors and Core Engineers] have moved to Toronto and I am on List

Good man, Vinod. Canada needs SKILLED people.

We apparently have very little desire to train our own.

countryboy
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

Alberta has a reputation as a very conservative province. It is the Bible Belt of Canada, similar to deep south in USA. Thus legalization of gay marriage was greeted with intense hostility in Alberta, Both Klein and Harper had to promise to build a firewall around Alberta to keep gay marriage out (it was a phony promise, they didnít mean it, but they had to do it to keep peace in Alberta). In this respect also Alberta is similar to the deep south.

Blacks have plenty of problems in the deep south (whites there fought a civil war rather than give up slavery). Alberta has many similarities to the Bible Belt in USA, so presumably it may be similar to places like Alabama, Mississippi or Georgia in this respect as well.

I lived in Alberta (as an "immigrant" from Manitoba) for 5 years. I thought it was a great place to live! I appreciated the gung-ho, can-do attitude, and the sports scene was great. Felt right at home there.

Johnnny
Alot of red names in this thread

SirJosephPorter
Quote: Originally Posted by countryboy View Post

I lived in Alberta (as an "immigrant" from Manitoba) for 5 years. I thought it was a great place to live! I appreciated the gung-ho, can-do attitude, and the sports scene was great. Felt right at home there.

An 'immigrant' from Manitoba? Surely you jest. Come to think of it, we also have an 'immigrant' in our community. He 'immigrated' here from Toronto.

countryboy
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

An 'immigrant' from Manitoba? Surely you jest. Come to think of it, we also have an 'immigrant' in our community. He 'immigrated' here from Toronto.

I trust you're doing everything possible to make him feel right at home in his new surroundings.

Liberalman
I lived in Alberta for five years and I will not let you make them into bad people.

There was a lot of immigration into Alberta of visible minorities and they were given good jobs like cleaners and dishwashers and toilet cleaners and farm workers and nannies.

You see there are a lot of rednecks in Alberta and when the oil price is high a lot of jobs there as well.

So donít you dare make them into bad people because deep deep down inside they are good Christian people.

SirJosephPorter
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

I lived in Alberta for five years and I will not let you make them into bad people.

There was a lot of immigration into Alberta of visible minorities and they were given good jobs like cleaners and dishwashers and toilet cleaners and farm workers and nannies.

You see there are a lot of rednecks in Alberta and when the oil price is high a lot of jobs there as well.

So donít you dare make them into bad people because deep deep down inside they are good Christian people.

I understand that even a cleaner or a dishwasher makes 15 or 20 $ per hour over there.

ironsides
Quote: Originally Posted by Dervish_Khan View Post

Venerable residents of Alberta,

I have come to realise, after careful observations and analysis, that most local people in Western Canada seem to oppose, if not, disvalue immigration. This, in my humble perspective, is rather poignant and unfortunate. However, what is even more tragic is the fact the prevalance of reported cases of racism and discrimination seem to be quite high in those areas. Now, you may not be content with immigration, but resorting to incivility by promoting racism is unacceptable.

Presumably, there are descent and liberal-minded people in Alberta, etc., but the great majortiy, based upon the general outlook in Toronto, is, in various ways, either involved in or do condone acts of discrimination. For instance, a few years ago as I was driving on my way from Toronro to Vancouver, I stopped at numerous coffee shops to sip some tea and, being the only "brown" person in the coffee shop, I immediately drew the attention of the entire crowd all of whom were of European descent. That time I spent in Alberta was, by far, the most profound and shocking time of my life. Only then did I realise that those glamorous and rosy images of Canada that we were so elated to see were not a reality in certain parts of the country.

This seems to be a problem just about everywhere outside major metropolitan areas.

Florida family gives up on small-town North Dakota

HAZELTON, N.D. Ė A tiny North Dakota town's promise of cash and free land lured only one family from out of state. Now, Michael and Jeanette Tristani and their 12-year-old twins are trying to move from the town without a traffic light back to Miami.
Tired of crime, traffic, hurricanes and the high cost of living in Florida, the Tristanis moved four years ago to Hazelton, a dwindling town of about 240 that has attempted to attract young families to stay on the map.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100216/ap_on_re_us/us_saving_hazelton

Johnnny
Thise cleaners and dishwashers make alot because rent is alot lol

DurkaDurka
+1
According to the Internet, the lost City of Atlantis is buried underneath Edmonton, it's also guarded by Nazi gargoyles so don't get any ideas about searching for it.

karrie
+1
Yeah, immigrants get the short end of the stick in Alberta alright. Lawyers, real estate agents, doctors, dentists.... they only get the really bad jobs from what I've seen.

I know just as many white people who end up having crap jobs as I do immigrants who end up in that position. In the end, yeah, there are racist pricks just about anywhere in the world you go. But, I haven't seen any worse in Alberta than anywhere else.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

Alot of red names in this thread

A lot can happen in 5 years.

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

According to the Internet, the lost City of Atlantis is buried underneath Edmonton, it's also guarded by Nazi gargoyles so don't get any ideas about searching for it.

....and THAT would explain why there "where" Submarines in the West
-Edmonton Mall, & why the Iliuminati had those Submarines removed.

buddycuddler
My parents are from Germany and Iran. I grew up in Montreal Canada. At around age 8, (In the 1970's) I had 2 friends, : "Sarah" and "Shauna". Sarah's family were from England, and Shauna's family had just moved to Montreal from Alberta. ALthough Shauna and Sarah basically could not stand each other,...Shauna one day , unhappily confessed to me that her mother told her she HAD to be friends with Sarah, because she was from England. She also told me that her mother didn't want her to be friends with me because me and my family are foreigners". It then also became clear to me why she was never allowed to come over to my house and could only go over "sarah"s" house to play. That was the first time in my life that I encountered racism, . I'm sure that not all Alberta's residents are racist, but , like most historically predominantly white areas around North America, there are groups of people who don't want to have outside races living among them.

Ron in Regina
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by buddycuddler View Post

My parents are from Germany and Iran. I grew up in Montreal Canada. At around age 8, (In the 1970's) I had 2 friends, : "Sarah" and "Shauna". Sarah's family were from England, and Shauna's family had just moved to Montreal from Alberta. ALthough Shauna and Sarah basically could not stand each other,...Shauna one day , unhappily confessed to me that her mother told her she HAD to be friends with Sarah, because she was from England. She also told me that her mother didn't want her to be friends with me because me and my family are foreigners". It then also became clear to me why she was never allowed to come over to my house and could only go over "sarah"s" house to play. That was the first time in my life that I encountered racism, . I'm sure that not all Alberta's residents are racist, but , like most historically predominantly white areas around North America, there are groups of people who don't want to have outside races living among them.

Jerks can be found anywhere. I too am sure that not all Alberta'a residents
are racist, as that would be a sad generalization based on the interaction
with one jerk who happened to be "Shauna's" mother.

Quote: Originally Posted by buddycuddler View Post

like most historically predominantly white areas around North America, there are groups of people who don't want to have outside races living among them.

Hmmmm.....those pesky whites and their hording all the racism for themselves.

Kakato
Nice necro post,how about southpark?

They took our jobs? (sorry but im in Sask on dial up so no utube vid.)

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by Kakato View Post

Here Ya' go: Southpark - They Took Our Job! - YouTube

Johnnny
+3
#108  Top Rated Post
Racism is everywhere.... I could write a book about the racism ive experienced from Natives in Northern Saskcatchewan and Manitoba..... La Rounge, La loche, Areas around thompson and you know what ive still met good folks in these areas... Regardless of the rest of the trash.... Some reserved some not...

hermanntrude
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Dervish_Khan View Post

Venerable residents of Alberta,

I have come to realise, after careful observations and analysis, that most local people in Western Canada seem to oppose, if not, disvalue immigration. This, in my humble perspective, is rather poignant and unfortunate. However, what is even more tragic is the fact the prevalance of reported cases of racism and discrimination seem to be quite high in those areas. Now, you may not be content with immigration, but resorting to incivility by promoting racism is unacceptable.

Presumably, there are descent and liberal-minded people in Alberta, etc., but the great majortiy, based upon the general outlook in Toronto, is, in various ways, either involved in or do condone acts of discrimination. For instance, a few years ago as I was driving on my way from Toronro to Vancouver, I stopped at numerous coffee shops to sip some tea and, being the only "brown" person in the coffee shop, I immediately drew the attention of the entire crowd all of whom were of European descent. That time I spent in Alberta was, by far, the most profound and shocking time of my life. Only then did I realise that those glamorous and rosy images of Canada that we were so elated to see were not a reality in certain parts of the country.

There is a direct relationship between the population density of a region and the amount of intolerance of people who aren't the "same" as those who live there (the majority). I, as a Caucasian white male from London, have seen this only too clearly. Some of my oldest friends eventually became people I couldnt not talk to any more because of their behaviour regarding immigrants to london. It gets so bad that regions of london are now entirely unmixed and unsafe for certain groups to enter. even my own mother is extremely racist. I can't speak to her about it, because the foul words that come from her mouth during such conversations makes me want to cry.

Durry
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrude View Post

. It gets so bad that regions of london are now entirely unmixed and unsafe for certain groups to enter.
cry.

Ummm, what do you mean? Are you saying some groups have taken over regions of London that other immigrants cannot enter? Just asking.

hermanntrude
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

Ummm, what do you mean? Are you saying some groups have taken over regions of London that other immigrants cannot enter? Just asking.

I mean some areas are deeply insular, and at night time, if you are the wrong colour, or perhaps just not immediately recognizable as "one of us", you could be in for trouble. In places, white caucasians are not welcome, in others, other races are not.

Durry
+2

I mean some areas are deeply insular, and at night time, if you are the wrong colour, or perhaps just not immediately recognizable as "one of us", you could be in for trouble. In places, white caucasians are not welcome, in others, other races are not.

So I guess your saying there are races out there who come to London and become very racist.

hermanntrude
+1
or perhaps they were in the first place. The point is that living extremely close up together in large cities seems to produce this kind of behaviour. We should expect to see more of it in the future

petros
East London is ****ED!

hermanntrude
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

East London is ****ED!

delete the word "east", and you're bang on.

Durry
+1
How unfortunate, London used to be a great place!!

karrie
+2

or perhaps they were in the first place. The point is that living extremely close up together in large cities seems to produce this kind of behaviour. We should expect to see more of it in the future

I find it's a byproduct of segregating, even if you didn't mean to segregate in the first place. Anytime you get an immigrant population that holds itself apart, all lives in one area, you run into troubles. That's not to say the majority are racist, or that immigrants are the problem, but, it's a natural result.

When North America was first populated, white settlers tended to stick with other settlers of their own background, resulting in a lot of cultural bigotry between Irish, Ukranians, Polish, French, etc. We see it day in and day out with First Nations Reserves. And new pockets of our communities express the same thing too.... the Somalian communities in Edmonton, Jamaican communities in Toronto, and Asian communities in Vancouver, jump out as prime examples right now.

petros
I was being nice...

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

How unfortunate, London used to be a great place!!

it still is, as long as you don't want everything to be perfect. It's a great tourist attraction, a wonderful centre for the arts and for culture, very beatiful in places, but you dont hear many people saying they want to live there.

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Kakato View Post

Der took er derrrr