Downtown Vancouver soon to have no gas stations


Kreskin
+1
#1
Downtown Vancouver's last gas station now on the market | CBC News

Will real estate economics be the catalyst to convert autos from gas to electric?

I worked in Vancouver this week and stayed at a hotel that had a phone-booth sized electric vehicle charge-up station. The station wasn’t used by anyone when I was around it. There didn’t look like much demand, but a number of hotels now have them. Yet, in downtown Vancouver there is only one gas station, and Vancouver will soon become the first metropolitan centre in North America without a gas station.

The last remaining station sits on real estate valued at 36 million (2017 assessed value). Obviously there are better land use options than gas retailing.

I believe the news item above shows this is not unique to Vancouver.
 
bill barilko
+1
#2
My neighbourhood lost 3 Chevrons in the past year and the Shell on Broadway at Arbutus is next to go I now need to drive at least 20 blocks to a Chevron where the company card works.
 
taxslave
#3
Except for short sighted politicians and bureaucraps there is no reason why a gas bar cannot be built into the parking garage of any building.
 
bill barilko
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Except for short sighted politicians and bureaucraps there is no reason why a gas bar cannot be built into the parking garage of any building.

Oh Ye of little foresight and technical knowledge-how will a tanker truck access said pumps/their tanks?

And how will over size vehicles like the one I drive enter said garages?

And what about fumes?

Eh?!
 
taxslave
#5
Like I said about short sighted. It is done in other parts of the world just not in your backwater.
 
Dixie Cup
+1
#6
The hell with people needing fuel; the land is more valuable I guess. I just don't understand the logic of putting electric charging stations where no one will use them. Maybe in 20 years or so but making them available doesn't mean ppl will use them. With the cost of living in BC no one can afford to purchase electric vehicles and ironically, the electrical system won't work without fossil fuels. I'd like to see planes fly and vehicles with solar panels on them,,, wind mills maybe? That'd be cool. But hey....what do I know.
 
Hoid
#7
3,000 EVs in Vancouver.

Projected to be 300,000 by 2050.
 
petros
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

Oh Ye of little foresight and technical knowledge-how will a tanker truck access said pumps/their tanks?

And how will over size vehicles like the one I drive enter said garages?

And what about fumes?

Eh?!



About three stalls of a parking lot.
 
bill barilko
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Like I said about short sighted. It is done in other parts of the world just not in your backwater.

Care to provide evidence of gasoline filling stations in parking garages?

Because I've seen more of the planet than you and have never seen it.

Or you could just keep posting idiotic garbage that's something you do a fair job of.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

About three stalls of a parking lot.

Yes not a parking garage not even close.
 
petros
#10
Tanka could be on the top of an outdoor parkade with fuel gravity fed to ground level and pumped up to refill the tanks from ground level.

Tanks at ground level and outside of an underground parade with fuel piped in is possible as well.

It would be a smart for a company like Impark to offer card lock.
 
bill barilko
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Tanka (sic) could be on the top of an outdoor parkade with fuel gravity fed to ground level and pumped up to refill the tanks from ground level.

It could but won't no jurisdiction will allow indoor refueling.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Tanks at ground level and outside of an underground parade with fuel piped in is possible as well.

It's possible that pigs might fly too.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

It would be a smart for a company like Impark to offer card lock.

You might be right-they are known here as cheating scheming vermin so the fuel business would seem to be a natural fit.
 
Kreskin
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Tanka could be on the top of an outdoor parkade with fuel gravity fed to ground level and pumped up to refill the tanks from ground level.

Tanks at ground level and outside of an underground parade with fuel piped in is possible as well.

It would be a smart for a company like Impark to offer card lock.

Gas won't go away any time soon. The future of retail gasoline might well see non-standard delivery options, like pumps at parkades etc. Nevertheless, at some point it will probably be more economical to just plug in a car. The disappearance of gas stations shows that change is already happening.
 
bill barilko
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

....The disappearance of gas stations shows that change is already happening.

The disappearance of gas stations here in Vancouver is more complex than that-part of the issue is the War on Cars waged by soon to be ex mayor Gregor Robertson's Vision Party-thousands of parking spots have disappeared across the city all for ideological ends of the most frivolous nature-these are the same people who are in hock to the Chinese communist party as shown at a flag raising ceremony at Vancouver city hall as shown



And in case someone somewhere else is feeling smug look who's standing in front of the flagpole at a similar ceremony in TO

 
petros
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

It could but won't no jurisdiction will allow indoor refueling.


It's possible that pigs might fly too.


You might be right-they are known here as cheating scheming vermin so the fuel business would seem to be a natural fit.

I've seen gas stations in parkades before. Haven't you?
 
Kreskin
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

The disappearance of gas stations here in Vancouver is more complex than that-part of the issue is the War on Cars waged by soon to be ex mayor Gregor Robertson's Vision Party-thousands of parking spots have disappeared across the city all for ideological ends of the most frivolous nature-these are the same people who are in hock to the Chinese communist party as shown at a flag raising ceremony at Vancouver city hall as shown



And in case someone somewhere else is feeling smug look who's standing in front of the flagpole at a similar ceremony in TO

It's not just Vancouver. Gas stations have been in decline for years. Canada and the US.
 
spilledthebeer
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

It's not just Vancouver. Gas stations have been in decline for years. Canada and the US.


I get a BIG LAUGH out of listening to BC airheads talk about their gas pains!



As in" Oh MY! Price of gas might hit $1.70 per liter one day soon?



Have you airheads not noticed that is stated LIE-beral policy to use carbon crap and trade taxes to DRIVE UP the price of gas to the point we give up buying it?


And......OH MY! Soon there will be NO gas stations in Vancouver city limits?



Again.....did you imbeciles MISS the LIE-beral announcements- repeated multiple times that Our idiot Boy and his LIE-beral moronic minions want to close down the entire Cdn oil patch?


And what of idiot NDP and mouldy Greens shouting "US TOO- but EVEN MORE" in response to those LIE-beral anti fossil fuel policy announcements!



What part of the LIE-beral policy that mandates they FORCE US to stop using ANY fossil fuel under any circumstances -regardless o the cost- is CONFUSING YOU?

 
Kreskin
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by spilledthebeer View Post

I get a BIG LAUGH out of listening to BC airheads talk about their gas pains!



As in" Oh MY! Price of gas might hit $1.70 per liter one day soon?



Have you airheads not noticed that is stated LIE-beral policy to use carbon crap and trade taxes to DRIVE UP the price of gas to the point we give up buying it?


And......OH MY! Soon there will be NO gas stations in Vancouver city limits?



Again.....did you imbeciles MISS the LIE-beral announcements- repeated multiple times that Our idiot Boy and his LIE-beral moronic minions want to close down the entire Cdn oil patch?


And what of idiot NDP and mouldy Greens shouting "US TOO- but EVEN MORE" in response to those LIE-beral anti fossil fuel policy announcements!



What part of the LIE-beral policy that mandates they FORCE US to stop using ANY fossil fuel under any circumstances -regardless o the cost- is CONFUSING YOU?

Hey angry boy, there is no shortage of people in Vancouver willing to buy gas at any price. Instead there is a growing shortage of places willing to sell it.
 
Bar Sinister
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

The hell with people needing fuel; the land is more valuable I guess. I just don't understand the logic of putting electric charging stations where no one will use them. Maybe in 20 years or so but making them available doesn't mean ppl will use them. With the cost of living in BC no one can afford to purchase electric vehicles and ironically, the electrical system won't work without fossil fuels. I'd like to see planes fly and vehicles with solar panels on them,,, wind mills maybe? That'd be cool. But hey....what do I know.


Actually the electric system in BC works just fine without fossil fuels, that is why it is called BC Hydro. However, you are right about land values. Gas stations take up a lot of space compared to most businesses and they are generally only one story tall.
 
Twin_Moose
+1
#19
By the way how long does it take to charge up your 07 gas guzzler?
 
Hoid
#20
Gas stations disappear from large downtown areas all over North America and always have.
 
spilledthebeer
+2
#21  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Gas stations disappear from large downtown areas all over North America and always have.


I get a BIG KICK out of LIE-berals like Hoid trying to distract us from the death of the LIE-beral party by talking about irrelevant crap like the number of gas stations in town! Hoid and his horrid helpers do not want us to consider this:




I have heard a couple of very silly people ask if we can trust Doug Ford? They wonder if he can live up to his promises. My answer to that is scornful laughter! The record left by Wynne-bag LIE-berals is so BAD that Doug Ford would have a better record as premier than Wynne-bag even if he spent the entire 4 years as premier locked in his office- refusing to come out!

AS for NDP- they offer up 2 reactions to LIE-beral policy announcements- they either say “Me Too”! Or they say “we would spend even more”! NDPers are simply people who lack the low guile and cunning to be proper LIE-berals!

Some basic comparisons are useful here- consider:

Suppose Ford gets elected - and immediately afterwards he FORGETS his promise to reduce gas prices by 10 cents a litre. We would STILL BE BETTER OFF WITH FORD! Recall that LIE-beral policy is to DRIVE UP the price of gas SO HIGH -using their carbon taxes- THAT WE CANNOT AFFORD TO USE FOSSIL FUEL ANY MORE! To bad a side effect of the LIE-beral war on fossil fuel is that we cannot afford to eat or pay rent any more either! LIE-berals have told us they want to CLOSE the entire Cdn oil patch! How is that better than the Ford policy?

In addition- in 2016, Globe and Mail newspaper printed a Wynne-bag LIE-beral policy piece in which they outlined how LIE-berals thought it would be good to force us to STOP USING NATURAL GAS for heating or for cooking in our homes! LIE-berals prefer that we be forced to use electricity for both heating and cooking- it is mute testimony to how much gravy LIE-berals expect to rake in with their mouldy green energy rip off! Again- LIE-berals want to push the price of natural gas so high we stop using it! Ford can get a BETTER RECORD than LIE-berals just by ignoring our use of natural gas!

On a related theme- Ford has said he will reduce the price of electricity. And Conservatives have also told us they want to dig into those nasty LIE-beral green energy contracts that feed such rich gobs of gravy to LIE-beral pals- the contracts the public is NOT allowed to look at- to see where and how we are being price gouged- and how to stop the gouging! And again- lets assume Ford gets elected and forgets that promise and simply ignores the price of electricity for 4 years. By comparison, LIE-berals have told us that they want to steadily DRIVE UP the price of electricity in order to force us to “conserve” electricity! The result of such conservation will make LIE-beral pals RICH! AS we have seen with water rates- if we conserve then LIE-berals push the price even higher to compensate for lost revenue!

But if real electricity conservation is a priority, why do LIE-berals IGNORE those electric bubble systems that civil service union Hogs have installed around their docks in Muskoka Lakes- which run 6 months per year to prevent the lake from freezing around their valuable docks? LIE-berals think that your old granny running an electric space heater in her draughty apartment is a greater environmental threat than civil service Hogs using lots of electricity to prevent lakes from freezing in Cdn winter!

Ford has also talked about day care and again he can ignore that promise and still get ahead of LIE-berals! The existing LIE-beral day care system and all day kindergarten was implemented in the most COSTLY WAY POSSIBLE! The number of young kids in grade school is dropping so Wynne-bag has hired unemployed elementary school teachers at HIGH PAY AND HUGE PENSIONS- to wipe noses and tie shoelaces! It is a deliberate insult to the graduates of Early Childhood Education courses who are now largely shut out and unemployed!

When Wynne-bag replaced Dalton McGinty as premier - after he TRIED AND FAILED to rein in teacher Hog greed- Wynne-bag stood in front of teachers and assured them she “would do whatever it takes to recover your trust”- meaning the teacher gravy train ride would RESUME! Wynne- bag is BUYING teacher votes with her vastly costly deals with teachers costly grand gravy deal will CONTINUE if Wynne allowed to meddle further with day care!

And now LIE-berals are promising to expand their daycare deal- making it more like the Quebec model- where the cost rose 45 percent in the first 3 years as union Hogs took it over! The LIE-beral day care model simply adds another costly car onto the govt gravy train that is already overloaded with LIE-beral pals! How can Ford make this colossal Hog gravy grab worse?

And what of the LIE-beral drug plan? News reports indicate that it ALREADY has holes in it- with patients ALREADY stuck in LIE-beral limbo as OHIP and private medical insurers argue over who covers what? With the added bonus that Wynne has made sure that private insurance companies WIN BIG on OHIP PLUS drug deals! Its just another hand out to HOGS- the ones who OWN stocks in pharma care drug companies! Its just more tax and spend LIE-beral madness - offering Hogs endless chances to skim off more gravy! And the LIE-beral drug funding model is BROKEN! LIE-beral estimates of cost are no more reliable than the out right LIES they have been exposed as having told us about their balanced budgets!

For those who think Ohip plus drug plan might be a good idea- I remind you of that fine LIE-beral offer of $100 million dollars for re-training of laid off auto workers in 2008- and the money came with so many strings attached that only 5 percent of the cash was ever used! Or maybe we should discuss the REPEATED Wynne-bag LIE-beral offers of funding for Toronto Transit- in which huge sums are offered- with best before dates- that CANNOT BE MET! It’s the usual LIE-beral grand standing- offering a great bargain that dead broke Toronto cannot take advantage of- and so the “offer” expires and LIE-berals KEEP the money!

LIE-berals take a positive delight in offering us fine, shiny new programs- that ONLY their pals can use! When LIE-beral govt first got involved in govt subsidized day care - one of the first day care places open was in Toronto City Hall- just for Hogs! Currently those licenced and subsidized LIE-beral day care spaces are rationed and in short supply- therefore they have been made available to LIE-beral allies first and foremost!

When LIE-berals recognized that post secondary tuition costs were hurting our kids- they offered up a new plan- one that gave a few kids more OSAP money but left the majority of kids PAYING MORE! LIE-berals NEED every possible vote and university prof`s are DEMANDING a fifty percent raise in pay-or- as LIE-berals fear- they will turn and support more generous NDP gravy givers instead- and Hog greed trumps public need every time for LIE-berals!

When LIE-berals got into installing electric chargers for the electric toy vehicles they want to FORCE us to buy- their first location choices were at govt offices, down town insurance companies and such- again- great choices for Hogs and LIE-beral allies- but not so good for the general public!

When LIE-berals recognized their electricity price gouging was hurting the public- they offered up price reductions for big business- meaning UNIONIZED business- and they FORGOT about all sorts of smaller non unionized biz- meaning ones that LIE-berals could not trust to support them reliably at the ballot box!

Ford has said he will lower corporate taxes and LIE-berals scorn this idea! But if LOW TAXES are a bad idea then why is it a GOOD LIE-beral idea to supply lots of grants to Hollywood North- in exchange for those good jobs? Are LIE-berals counting on Actra/ actors union support for that bribery? If low taxes are good for Hollywood North then why are low taxes NOT good for other Ontari-owe biz? If low taxes are not good for biz then why do LIE-berals offer up such a host of grants and low interest loans to any biz that will come and set up shop here? And how dumb do LIE-beral think biz owners are that they cannot see the LIE-beral HOOK in that tax bait? Get set up and securely planted in “generous” LIE-beral Ontari-owe and then LIE-berals rip away ALL the lures that brought biz here! But LIE-berals insist it is the fault of others there are not enough jobs- and then they proceed to handle job loss numbers with the same precision they used to “balance” the budgets they got caught LYING about!

And how can you get a steady job or a raise in pay- to cover LIE-beral “inflation” from a boss that has already had his pockets picked by LIE-berals? AS Margaret Thatcher pointed out: “the trouble with LIE-berals is that eventually they run out of other peoples money”! LIE-berals are engaged in NDP/Bob Rae style madness- trying to make us rich with BORROWED MONEY! How can Ford with his “we wont spend what we do not have” style make the LIE-beral mess worse?

Ford has said he will not implement that last LIE-beral mandated one dollar minimum wage increase- but how bad is that? More money pushes earners into a higher income tax bracket; it mandates higher contribution rates for unemployment insurance and Canada Pension Plan! How much of that dollar will LIE-beral tax man allow people to keep?

The minimum wage increase is for SHOW ONLY! The LIE-beral minimum wage increase and the carbon crap and trade tax have given the ILLUSION of inflation in our economy as business adapts to FORCED higher costs - and that is just the excuse LIE-berals NEED to justify giving their Hog allies large and regular raises in pay- at the “rate of inflation”- that LIE-berals are creating in the first place! Its all smoke and mirrors- except that the LIE-beral DEBTS ARE VERY REAL!

This IS the LIE-beral legacy- that they and their pals grow RICH AT OUR EXPENSE! And HOW can Ford make any of this WORSE? Ford can hide under a Queens Park desk for 4 years and things will still be better than with LIE-berals!

The only people who vote LIE-beral are those who are PAID by them- and sometimes even that is not enough! ETFO- the elementary teachers union has just thrown its support behind NDP/Horvath! I guess NDP offered MORE GRAVY THAN LIE-berals since the Hogs are willing to forget the NDP Rae Days catastrophe!
 
Blackleaf
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Downtown Vancouver's last gas station now on the market | CBC News

Will real estate economics be the catalyst to convert autos from gas to electric?

I worked in Vancouver this week and stayed at a hotel that had a phone-booth sized electric vehicle charge-up station. The station wasn’t used by anyone when I was around it. There didn’t look like much demand, but a number of hotels now have them. Yet, in downtown Vancouver there is only one gas station, and Vancouver will soon become the first metropolitan centre in North America without a gas station.

The last remaining station sits on real estate valued at 36 million (2017 assessed value). Obviously there are better land use options than gas retailing.

I believe the news item above shows this is not unique to Vancouver.

Darwinism in action.
 
petros
+1
#23
It's 2km from the Library downtown to Shell on Main.

What's the big fuss?
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#24
The fact is a lot of people who live in downtown Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, may not own or need a vehicle of any sort. Public transit is usually pretty good in the downtown core and most essentials if not are likely walking distance. The rents of the residence and costs of those essentials are much higher as well probably not leaving much in the budget for a vehicle. Parking is also an issue.


So there aren't too many downtown fueling stations. And the land owner/station owner is going to do whatever is best for their financial interest. So not surprised to see cores without gas stations. Suburbs have plenty as they have sucky public transit and everybody needs a car.
 
captain morgan
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

It's 2km from the Library downtown to Shell on Main.

What's the big fuss?


2 klicks in downtown YVR translates to 45 minutes
 
taxslave
#26
Vancouver's core being about the size of a ssmall family farm I don't see the problem with not having a gas station in the middle.
 
petros
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

2 klicks in downtown YVR translates to 45 minutes

Nah 10 minutes at worst.
 
captain morgan
#28
You must have a siren and red/blue lights on your vehicle
 
petros
#29
Nope. Try it on Google Maps. Library is 350 W Georgia St, Shell is 1785 Main St.
 
pgs
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Hey angry boy, there is no shortage of people in Vancouver willing to buy gas at any price. Instead there is a growing shortage of places willing to sell it.

Only in the downtown core . In the suburbs new stations are going up on a regular basis .

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Nope. Try it on Google Maps. Library is 350 W Georgia St, Shell is 1785 Main St.

Just over the viaduct .