Montreal to ban plastic shopping bags by 2018

mentalfloss
Montreal plans to ban plastic shopping bags by 2018

Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 5:18 PM - It was an undertaking that failed to gain support in one of Canada's biggest cities, but now Montreal, Que., plans to ban the use of plastic bags by 2018, according to city mayor Denis Coderre.
While plastic bags are currently banned in several small municipalities in Canada, Montreal will become the first major city to put a ban in place.

A similar initiative was proposed by Toronto city council in January 2013, but the bag ban and the five cent fee for use was overturned by November of the same year, leaving it up to individual retailers if they want to charge for plastic bags.

Montreal officials say the decision was made based on recommendations from the city's environmental committee.

"You will understand that our plan is the result of extensive analysis and thoughtful reflection," Coderre said, according to the CBC.

"Lightweight bags, which are used by the billions, are volatile and represent a clear environmental concern."

The city will give consumers and the retail industry two years to prepare, which applies to lightweight plastic shopping bags as well as bags that are oxo-degradable, oxo-fragmentable, oxo-biodegradable and biodegradable.

News - Montreal plans to ban plastic shopping bags by 2018 - The Weather Network

Frankiedoodle
I think that many Montrealers would like to bag Coderre.

Nick Danger
Fort McMurray went bagless in September of 2010. It wasn't a big deal, people got used to carrying their own bags pretty quick, if they forgot there was always one available at the checkout for a buck or two.

IdRatherBeSkiing
We use the bags for lunches, trash, etc. It would be an inconvenience if they were not available.

DaSleeper
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

We use the bags for lunches, trash, etc. It would be an inconvenience if they were not available.

Save a nickel by bringing your own bag
Then buy glad trash bags at five to ten times the cost

mentalfloss
We should ban all plastic across Canada.

There's already better alternatives out there and it's unnecessary.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
If it's such a good idea why not now instead of waiting two years?

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#8  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

So you have stopped using plastic entirely? If you aren't practicing what you preach you are a hypocrite.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Save a nickel by bringing your own bag
Then buy glad trash bags at five to ten times the cost

That's what I do. Some stores like Safeway (that I don't patronize much anymore) won't touch your old bags.

Nick Danger

So you have stopped using plastic entirely? If you aren't practicing what you preach you are a hypocrite.

Durable plastic items meant to last are one thing. Single use, disposable plastic items like bags, water bottles and such that are produced by the billions can become problematic, especially in areas where recycling isn't available.

mentalfloss

No, it's just not made feasible yet.

IdRatherBeSkiing

No, it's just not made feasible yet.

Then wasn't the suggestions and reasoning in the below post pre-mature?

mentalfloss
It's fine.

I know you can't deal with people who bring out opinions that don't fit into your black and white view of how things should be run, but enjoy the gradients instead.

My suggestion was to make it feasible by banning it federally and that hasn't happened yet, therefore it is not feasible.

There is no inconsistency there whatsoever.

DaSleeper

Ideologues never do......do as I say, not as I do...

EagleSmack

Well not him of course.

mentalfloss
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

DaSleeper
And you wonder why hypocrites like gore an suzuki have no credibility with independent thinking people.....

mentalfloss
Because they're human?

IdRatherBeSkiing

It's fine.

I know you can't deal with people who bring out opinions that don't fit into your black and white view of how things should be run, but enjoy the gradients instead.

My suggestion was to make it feasible by banning it federally and that hasn't happened yet, therefore it is not feasible.

There is no inconsistency there whatsoever.

If there is no feasible alternative, there is no way it should be banned. Just making something disappear doesn't make an alternative somehow magically available.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Well not him of course.

Instead of his trolling threads he should preach by example.......

Nick Danger

If there is no feasible alternative, there is no way it should be banned. Just making something disappear doesn't make an alternative somehow magically available.

But there is an easy alternative to plastic shopping bags, that's where the thread started isn't it?

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
We had nothing but paper shopping bags when I was a kid and they worked just fine ... held more, too. Paper in recyclable and craft paper has lots of recycled celulose in it. Paper is a renewable resource that is more or less "farmed" in most of the country, providing jobs for Canadians. The paper industry must be really suffering with the demise of newspapers and there is a product to take newsprint's place.

Oh, they're biodegradable, too (not like those cloth and plastic ones).

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post

But there is an easy alternative to plastic shopping bags, that's where the thread started isn't it?

Not as cheap or as easy for all the uses of the plastic shopping bag. Besides, I do believe they are also recyclable if you find yourself out of uses for a particular bag.

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

We had nothing but paper shopping bags when I was a kid and they worked just fine ... held more, too. Paper in recyclable and craft paper has lots of recycled celulose in it. Paper is a renewable resource that is more or less "farmed" in most of the country, providing jobs for Canadians. The paper industry must be really suffering with the demise of newspapers and there is a product to take newsprint's place.

Oh, they're biodegradable, too (not like those cloth and plastic ones).

But they break frequently.

Nick Danger
Moving away from plastic bags is an easy sale. Stores don't have to buy them anymore, and will actually create a new revenue stream in reusable bags. Most of the public are quick to accept the new approach and detractors, should they actually have the nerve to speak out in public, quickly find out that they sound just like people who whine about not being able to smoke in restaurants any more.

The camps I work in north of Fort Mac are within the bagless boundary so the commissary was bagless as well. The odd person who did complain about the two dollar pseudo-fabric bags heard the laughter after he was out the door.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Durable plastic items meant to last are one thing. Single use, disposable plastic items like bags, water bottles and such that are produced by the billions can become problematic, especially in areas where recycling isn't available.

Loblaw's bags are fairly durable (for 5 cents each) and I reuse them two or three times!

Nick Danger
What's a Loblaw?

Sparrow
If we had stayed with paper bags we would not have this problem and thousands of people would not have lost their jobs.

Have you heard what the bacteriologist have said about the reusable bags? They are dangerous and can cause a lot of health problems. They should be cloth bags that can be used and ever time we use them because of the bacteria from the food we put in them especially meats they should be washed.

Now if they ban plastic bags people who recycle and manufacture they will also lose their jobs. It has become a vicious circle.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Loblaw's bags are fairly durable (for 5 cents each) and I reuse them two or three times!

Don't forget to wash them.

mentalfloss

It allows for mass production earlier.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

What's a Loblaw?

Possibly the largest grocery chain in Canada. I.G.A. used to be part of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galen_Weston_Jr.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

If we had stayed with paper bags we would not have this problem and thousands of people would not have lost their jobs.

Have you heard what the bacteriologist have said about the reusable bags? They are dangerous and can cause a lot of health problems. They should be cloth bags that can be used and ever time we use them because of the bacteria from the food we put in them especially meats they should be washed.

Now if they ban plastic bags people who recycle and manufacture they will also lose their jobs. It has become a vicious circle.

Don't forget to wash them.

Never washed them yet- most of the stuff placed in them is in their own packaging, except for produce which we wash!

Frankiedoodle
+1
Don't they make paper bags out of trees.we use our plastic bags as often as we can, that is until they are full of holes.also we try to keep the new bags we get by stuffing bags inside our pockets when shopping.