Blizzard kills 60,000 cattle in South Dakota

darkbeaver
Blizzard kills 60,000 cattle in South Dakota!

Details in Congressional Record

Blizzard kills 60,000 cattle in South Dakota! Details in Congressional Record

Disaster aid will be slow to come for South Dakota ranchers who lost as many as 60,000 head of cattle during an historic blizzard over the weekend, industry officials said on Tuesday.
Cattle died of hypothermia or suffocated under snowdrifts after a “perfect storm” brought rain, then record snowfall and strong winds to the portion of the state west of the Missouri River, said Silvia Christen, executive director of the South Dakota Stockgrowers Association.
theglobeandmail

spaminator
I guess there will be an increase in burger production.

darkbeaver
+2
Always a bright side eh.

If this had been a story about sixty thousand puppies the thread would be full by now.

gopher
I bet the Tea Baggers there won't be protesting against Obama once he gives them federal aid for these losses.

B00Mer
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

I bet the Tea Baggers there won't be protesting against Obama once he gives them federal aid for these losses.

petros
How did a snowstorm become a blizzard?

B00Mer
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

How did a snowstorm become a blizzard?

The Climate Changed .

damngrumpy
+2 / -1
Obama is not going to run away in the face of Tea Bag insanity
I hope to hell he holds his ground and forces this assortment of
idiots to surrender. If they don't the Republicans will be blamed
for the default and the depression that could come with it.
Medicare is a good thing for America and the middle and lower
classes know it so does the big boys who want control of the
,American agenda The minorities have at last come together to
become the majority. That new majority will be coming out to vote
and the ballot won't be for the Republicans. Obama knows this
in the House there is a bill waiting for a stand up and down vote.
There aer 200 Democrats and a majority of Republicans 233 or so.
the Magin is 217 and its said there are some honorable Republicans
who will vote with the Democrats leaving a magin of 3 for the President.
Why would he bother talking to the Republican leadership that got
themselves into the mess they are in Obama is not the idiot. the
Tea Party are the collective idiots and tehy will blink or be blown out of
office

Oh I got side tracked the cattle thing kind of snowed under and they too
will need Obama's help he'll be asking where's the beef?

WLDB
Would the meat still be good?

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

The Climate Changed .

That's weather again .

B00Mer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

Would the meat still be good?

Probably not, you have a bleed a fresh kill...

captain morgan
+2

That all depends if the cattle were Republicans or not

55Mercury
+3
#13  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

That all depends if the cattle were Republicans or not

but you don't call them cattle when they're Republicans, they're called bum steers

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

Obama is not going to run away in the face of Tea Bag insanity
I hope to hell he holds his ground and forces this assortment of
idiots to surrender. If they don't the Republicans will be blamed
for the default and the depression that could come with it.
Medicare is a good thing for America and the middle and lower
classes know it so does the big boys who want control of the
,American agenda The minorities have at last come together to
become the majority. That new majority will be coming out to vote
and the ballot won't be for the Republicans. Obama knows this
in the House there is a bill waiting for a stand up and down vote.
There aer 200 Democrats and a majority of Republicans 233 or so.
the Magin is 217 and its said there are some honorable Republicans
who will vote with the Democrats leaving a magin of 3 for the President.
Why would he bother talking to the Republican leadership that got
themselves into the mess they are in Obama is not the idiot. the
Tea Party are the collective idiots and tehy will blink or be blown out of
office

Oh I got side tracked the cattle thing kind of snowed under and they too
will need Obama's help he'll be asking where's the beef?

Yes wanting to pay less tax and wanting responsible government makes one an idiot.
Do you live within your means or just borrow more?

darkbeaver
Oct 10 08:03

The Blizzard that Never Was – and its Aftermath on Cattle and Ranchers

The worst blizzard in recorded history of South Dakota just swept through the state. Tens of thousands of cattle are predicted dead and the much of the state is still without power. The Rapid City Journal reports, ”Tens of thousands of cattle lie dead across South Dakota on Monday following a blizzard that could become one of the most costly in the history of the state’s agriculture industry.”

Blackleaf
+1
There are lots of big cows in Bolton.

You see them all drunkenly stumbling out of nightclubs on Saturday nights.

gopher
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

BrokenRecord
BrokenRecord
BrokenRecord

As usual the right wing haters have lots of hate for Obama but not one word of constructive suggestions so to how to improve things.

EagleSmack
+1

As usual the right wing haters have lots of hate for Obama but not one word of constructive suggestions so to how to improve things.

Sons of Liberty
We should gather up all the corpses and sell them to China, I doubt they will know the difference.

MHz
I'm from Alberta so this is stupid question from the get-go.
Do American cattle not know about huddling and putting you *** to the wind? That looks like snow that is stick so that is a mild wind, bitter cold granulates snow and a full blizzard might only be very short in total height (blue sky)

Quote: Originally Posted by Sons of Liberty View Post

We should gather up all the corpses and sell them to China, I doubt they will know the difference.

More like North America will enjoy a drop in dog-food prices. The hides alone could keep add agencies going for a few cold months, you would need them in that the hides did not keep the previous owner from freezing to death.

Why did this come as as a surprise in the first place?

I don't recall anybody from the east swimming out to get any pelts from the seal pups that get swept off the bare rocks, it was 10,000 of them before it even hit the headlines.

We'll but up some trees to act as wind breaks, the east can build some break-waters so the extra big waves that come with no climate change make a bad situation worse.
Last edited by MHz; Oct 11th, 2013 at 12:18 AM..

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Do American cattle not know about huddling and putting you *** to the wind? That looks like snow that is stick so that is a mild wind, bitter cold granulates snow and a full blizzard might only be very short in total height (blue sky).

Can I hose you down until soaked then put you in a deep freeze to replicate what happened?

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Do American cattle not know about huddling and putting you *** to the wind? That looks like snow that is stick so that is a mild wind, bitter cold granulates snow and a full blizzard might only be very short in total height (blue sky)

Huddling and putting your *** to the wind only gets you so far.

In Alberta, we are blessed by 'dry' snow typically. We virtually never get massive dumps of snow this deep, while it would be wet. Even in Alberta, the combination of wet and cold, would kill herds of cattle.

Consider also that cattle need to acclimatize. Temperatures drop gradually, not all at once. It gives them a chance to get used to the cold. To take cattle that one day were warm, and then dump so much wet snow on them that some of them smothered, not frozen, and it's a recipe for disaster.

Can I hose you down until soaked then put you in a deep freeze to replicate what happened?

argh, my bad for not reading through.... yours was much more succinct.

petros
+1
It rained hard before the snow fell.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Huddling and putting your *** to the wind only gets you so far.

In Alberta, we are blessed by 'dry' snow typically. We virtually never get massive dumps of snow this deep, while it would be wet. Even in Alberta, the combination of wet and cold, would kill herds of cattle.

Consider also that cattle need to acclimatize. Temperatures drop gradually, not all at once. It gives them a chance to get used to the cold. To take cattle that one day were warm, and then dump so much wet snow on them that some of them smothered, not frozen, and it's a recipe for disaster.

argh, my bad for not reading through.... yours was much more succinct.

The dripping sarcasm could be what made the comment seem so attractive to you.

Calgary can have a snow blizzard in any month of the year. May long has more than a few late snowfalls that come after the crops are already in.
Yes that -60 windchill is a real blessing, not.
If it was that bad where was the warning that is supposed to come with all that expensive hi-tech weather data that tracks things like this. It can drop very fast. I'm thinking that the rain wet the fur and the big fluffy snow started to fall and that did not melt and it was very heavy, like all sticky snow, Vancouver type snow to be exact. The cooling temps froze that into ice and allowed more and more snow to accumulate until the weight drove them to their knees and that is when compression war applied to their ability to breath and goody night bossy.

From 5% to 15% loss, calves high on the list of downed animals. The ones losing the 15% are pricing it out already. $1k/ calf in a world where only slaughter sized animals are processed. I can see some 'farmers' will be going out and breaking some legs of healthy calves just because there are pricks everywhere.

It rained hard before the snow fell.

That's what made me question why they were said to have froze to death, once you stop patting yourself on the back perhaps you can look at all factors rather than finding one and going all high-five for the duration of the thread, oh wait, that is normal behavior for you.

PS a drizzle will get you just as wet if you are a cow. If it got that cold that fast there would be ice on the trees. When we close that freezer door once I have my buffalo skin robe on (hair to the outside) I'm still going to want to have the key to the door on my side of the same door. Know what I mean?
Last edited by MHz; Oct 11th, 2013 at 09:29 AM..

karrie
You'll have to excuse us if your keen use of the English language doesn't always get your point across well. You just sounded honestly oblivious.

Nuggler
+1
Holy ****!!

Why is it a blizzard that never was?

Only a snowstorm?

The news said it rained first, got the cows wet, then it turned cold and snowed. Why is that hard to understand ?

If it happened in Canader, the farmer's be cryin so loud you could hear them in Ottywaw without the aid of phones.

People are going to lose their livelihood because of this. Not all, but some.

Sometimes the flippancy on this forum is just ****ing mind boggling.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

Why is that hard to understand ?

So what did 95% of the cows that survived do that was 'different' or did the rain not get them wet and the snow not fall on them?

Just big enough that emergency aid will buy all the downed cows, at a higher price than they are actually worth at market.

Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

You'll have to excuse us if your keen use of the English language doesn't always get your point across well. You just sounded honestly oblivious.

I'll try not to throw out confusing parts like this, "I'm from Alberta", you know the place that can go from +30 to -30 overnight and stay that way for more than a week, if that had happened I wouldn't have asked about how cold it actually go in SD, let alone take the University courses just so it could be put into a form you can understand, I truly doubt one even exits in or outside of nature.

The thing I love about this place is the reactions remain the same no matter what the subject is. Looks more like a breeding ground than a chat forum. lol MasterCard can't buy that sort of entertainment.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

Holy ****!!

Why is it a blizzard that never was?

Only a snowstorm?

The news said it rained first, got the cows wet, then it turned cold and snowed. Why is that hard to understand ?

If it happened in Canader, the farmer's be cryin so loud you could hear them in Ottywaw without the aid of phones.

Sometimes the flippancy on this forum is just ****ing mind boggling.

“The Blizzard that Never Was.” A Record-Setting Blizzard Killed 75,000 Cows and You Might Not Have Even Heard About It

Not on CNN, not the NY Times, not MSNBC

(it does not comply with the global warming science spin)

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

“The Blizzard that Never Was.” A Record-Setting Blizzard Killed 75,000 Cows and You Might Not Have Even Heard About It

Not on CNN, not the NY Times, not MSNBC

(it does not comply with the global warming science spin)

Yer right Beave: never heard about it. But I have now, and thanks.

75000 now. Same blizzard ??

You think it wasn't reported cause it doesn't comply with the spin ?? Coulda been the reason.
Climate change is definitely upon us. Doesn't mean we can't have a blizz or two.

People are going to lose their livelihood because of this. Not all, but some.So what did 95% of the cows that survived do that was 'different' or did the rain not get them wet and the snow not fall on them?

Just big enough that emergency aid will buy all the downed cows, at a higher price than they are actually worth at market.

Quote: Originally Posted by karrie

95%.............? ****, I dunno. Tougher cows. The pics seemed to show calves. Probably not as tough.

Dunno bout emergency aid either. I know that during our drought here a year or two ago, farmers from Alta sent hay to E. Ont............And the farmers here reciprocated last year??............Damn little aid except of help of strangers.

But I kinow where you're coming from. Greedy farmers bilking the kindly insurance companies. Right Tell that to some righty who'll applaud for you.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sons of Liberty View Post

They'd just can them and sell them back to us.

petros
It wasn't a blizzard.