School suspends student for brandishing ...

Locutus
1) a knife 2) a gun 3) drug paraphernalia, 4) a pen

h/t Fark

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Sal
too bad they aren't as quick to respond to bullying as they are to a pen

Colpy
+5
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

1) a knife 2) a gun 3) drug paraphernalia, 4) a pen

h/t Fark

The pen is mightier than the sword.

Someone was going to say it.

Might as well be me.

We live in an idiocracy.

PoliticalNick
+2
If it were my kid the principal would certainly keep the pen....in fact you could be sure he would require a surgeon if he wanted to be rid of it. All I can really come up with on this is the famous quote from Forrest Gump...."Stupid is as Stupid does"!!!

SLM
+1
Why do stupid people get hired to teach our children?

Sal
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

it's the Peter Principal...he may have been an amazing teacher

WLDB
+1

Given how little teachers get paid in most places down there you'd be hard pressed to find really good ones.

I hope the principal does not win this one.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

it's the Peter Principal...he may have been an amazing teacher

I question her mental capacity. Seriously.

Tecumsehsbones
+3

They aren't stupid. Stupid would be continuing to get ceaseless grief and hassle from parents, legislators, school board officials, and "education professionals" (as opposed to teachers) for trying to be fair and reasonable. If all you're going to get is an unending rain of sh*t for demonstrating sound judgement, it's smarter just to apply the rules automatically, rigidly, and without exception.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

They aren't stupid. Stupid would be continuing to get ceaseless grief and hassle from parents, legislators, school board officials, and "education professionals" (as opposed to teachers) for trying to be fair and reasonable. If all you're going to get is an unending rain of sh*t for demonstrating sound judgement, it's smarter just to apply the rules automatically, rigidly, and without exception.

If it's not stupid then it's just lazy.

Wait, no, it is stupid. A vibrating pen is not a weapon unless you're Dexter.

PoliticalNick

It could easily be a weapon for me, but I had years of military training, even a non-vibrating pen could be a weapon.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

It could easily be a weapon for me, but I had years of military training , even a non-vibrating pen could be a weapon.

And apparently a dark passenger too.

Lol.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

I repeat, when the system within which you work subjects you to mutually exclusive rules and goals, the only sensible thing to do is whatever is easiest for you.

Sal
+1

I repeat, when the system within which you work subjects you to mutually exclusive rules and goals, the only sensible thing to do is whatever is easiest for you.

He is right it's a systemic issue and the system is set up to maintain and protect itself. Often it's not the truth that matters in any government system, it's how things appear and we as a society have created that via media and stupidity.

Locutus
+1

If this 'educator' and her boss had seen to that, the dangerous little punk would have been gone for 10 days, not 4. This implies the superior made a decision that this weapon was not as serious as some others.

The broad is a busy-body and her um, super, *cough*, superintendent is stupid. As for the boneheaded bus driver that started the whole ratting-out mess, let's hope he, she or it develops scurvy.

n.b. The 3 day delay between deadly buzzing pen confiscation and call for the brats' head by our fine 'educator'.

Blackleaf
+1
You know that the Lefty loonies have REALLY taken over the asylum when they suspend a school pupil for having a pen.

SLM

Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

He is right it's a systemic issue and the system is set up to maintain and protect itself. Often it's not the truth that matters in any government system, it's how things appear and we as a society have created that via media and stupidity.

Just following orders eh? That's a cop out. It is the antithesis of sound rational judgement, it is, therefore, unsound and irrational or in other words stupid. Whether someone chooses to be stupid or simply just is stupid, end result is still the same.

It's the easy choice, it's not the smart one.

Tecumsehsbones

Just following orders eh? That's a cop out. It is the antithesis of sound rational judgement, it is, therefore, unsound and irrational or in other words stupid. Whether someone chooses to be stupid or simply just is stupid, end result is still the same.

Teachers are government employees, are they not? Therefore, the rules under which they operate are drawn by the representatives of Da Peeple in a democracy. Therefore, for the teachers to exercise sound judgement which leads to a result contrary to the result mandated by the rules authorised by Da Peeple would be tyranny.

Lubs me some democracky!

For you, SLM, to be so high-minded about this, I must presume that in your work you never follow a rule merely because it is a rule, but bravely and tenaciously fight the application of every rule that would dictate a less-then-optimal outcome, and never, ever give in to rules, direct orders, or threats from your bosses.

You're my hero.

SLM
+2

Teachers are government employees, are they not? Therefore, the rules under which they operate are drawn by the representatives of Da Peeple in a democracy. Therefore, for the teachers to exercise sound judgement which leads to a result contrary to the result mandated by the rules authorised by Da Peeple would be tyranny.

Lubs me some democracky!

For you, SLM, to be so high-minded about this, I must presume that in your work you never follow a rule merely because it is a rule, but bravely and tenaciously fight the application of every rule that would dictate a less-then-optimal outcome, and never, ever give in to rules, direct orders, or threats from your bosses.

You're my hero.

Oh give it a ****ing rest.

The stupidity is in looking a vibrating pen, in the hands of a very young child no less, and calling it a weapon. You can make whatever excuse you want to for it, but it does speak directly to the intelligence of the system and the people who work within it.

WLDB
+2

A regular non vibrating pen worked just as well for him in the last episode. haha

Tecumsehsbones

Oh give it a ****ing rest.

The stupidity is in looking a vibrating pen, in the hands of a very young child no less, and calling it a weapon. You can make whatever excuse you want to for it, but it does speak directly to the intelligence of the system and the people who work within it.

Of course it is. But causing otherwise intelligent and sensible people into disciplining students for having a Motrin about them, or chewing a Pop-Tart into the shape of a pistol, or drawing a picture of a gun, for all love! is the mark of a systemic problem.

SLM
+1

Of course it is. But causing otherwise intelligent and sensible people into disciplining students for having a Motrin about them, or chewing a Pop-Tart into the shape of a pistol, or drawing a picture of a gun, for all love! is the mark of a systemic problem.

It may be systemic, but I don't know about otherwise intelligent and sensible these people actually are. How intelligent and sensible can a person be when they are purposefully ignoring this? Just as an example I mean. How far do things go until we say "this far, no further"? They may well start off in an intelligent and sensible state but they are complicit in their own "dumbing down". They'd have to be in order to get to this point.

And to answer your earlier question, if I came upon something that was truly ridiculous I would not just go along. I really can be that stubborn. I may end up walking away from it all unemployed but I'd damn sure walk away with self-respect.

PoliticalNick

It may be systemic, but I don't know about otherwise intelligent and sensible these people actually are. How intelligent and sensible can a person be when they are purposefully ignoring this? Just as an example I mean. How far do things go until we say "this far, no further"? They may well start off in an intelligent and sensible state but they are complicit in their own "dumbing down". They'd have to be in order to get to this point.

And to answer your earlier question, if I came upon something that was truly ridiculous I would not just go along. I really can be that stubborn. I may end up walking away from it all unemployed but I'd damn sure walk away with self-respect.

I hear ya on that girl. I could never work for the govt simply because it requires you to act like you have no brain and do things that are so against common sense it ain't funny. I would most likely be fired in the first few days for thinking for myself anyway.

Tecumsehsbones

Yes, that's my whole point. In these days of shrinking budgets and teacher firings, they are fine incentives for teachers to "go along to get along." Having rent to pay will do that. It's kinda the whole basis of the coercive economy.

Quote:

And a particularly prickly form thereof, my dear.

Sal

maybe and this particular situation (or at least the information which we have been fed in this particular situation) would have us believe that anyway.

Locutus

Yes, that's my whole point. In these days of shrinking budgets and teacher firings, they are fine incentives for teachers to "go along to get along." Having rent to pay will do that. It's kinda the whole basis of the coercive economy.

And a particularly prickly form thereof, my dear.

There were no 'teachers' involved here, my dear... just paper pushers and a part-time bus driver. Ya dig?