Youth raped and beat Edmonton grandmother


Praxius
#1
Youth raped and beat Edmonton grandmother - Edmonton - CBC News

A newly-released court document reveals disturbing details about the vicious attack and sexual assault of a 62-year-old Edmonton woman last January.

A 17-year-old male pleaded guilty to aggravated sexual assault and robbery in September, but details of the case weren't available until Thursday when a youth court judge granted a joint request by the CBC and Edmonton Journal to release the agreed statement of facts.

According to the court document, the woman was walking home around 9:45 on that January evening after getting off the bus in downtown Edmonton. The temperature was –12C, with a windchill of –18C.

A male approached and started attacking her without warning. He brutally raped and beat the Edmonton grandmother, and left her partially clothed on the frozen sidewalk.

When a neighbour found the victim more than an hour and a half later, she was semi-conscious and suffering from hypothermia.

Security footage from a nearby building showed the blood-covered teen carrying the woman's purse. A witness later encountered the youth and asked him if he was OK.

"Oh don't worry," the teen reportedly said. "It's not my blood. I just finished fighting for my life."

The victim was kept in hospital on life support for days and suffered permanent brain damage. She is now back at home but a family member recently told CBC News that she is afraid to go outside.

The teen is undergoing a psychiatric assessment and will be sentenced in December. He cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

The Crown will be asking to have the teen sentenced as an adult.


Now doesn't that just warm the heart and brighten your day?

Undergoing a psychiatric assessment huh?

He'll get time served and back out on the streets no doubt.
 
karrie
+3
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

Undergoing a psychiatric assessment huh?

He'll get time served and back out on the streets no doubt.

I have an acquaintance who molested a woman on a city bus when he was 17, and punched a city bus driver. He was brain damaged via abuse as a toddler (systematic starvation), and never progressed past about a 10-12 year old mentality, although his body carried on growing. The result was essentially a child with the body of and urges of a man. Needless to say, that doesn't fly well in society. But honestly, those were his crimes. He grabbed a breast, and punched a man. He was sentenced to remand 'until such a time as he is capable of demonstrating self control.' In other words... for good. He's been chemically castrated. He's been put on a plethora of drugs. He's allowed out on day visits under the direct control of suitable guardians for limited amounts of time, but he lives in jail. And will for the rest of his life. Our justice system isn't always as light as we make it out to be, especially for sex crimes and mental issues.
 
SLM
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I have an acquaintance who molested a woman on a city bus when he was 17, and punched a city bus driver. He was brain damaged via abuse as a toddler (systematic starvation), and never progressed past about a 10-12 year old mentality, although his body carried on growing. The result was essentially a child with the body of and urges of a man. Needless to say, that doesn't fly well in society. But honestly, those were his crimes. He grabbed a breast, and punched a man. He was sentenced to remand 'until such a time as he is capable of demonstrating self control.' In other words... for good. He's been chemically castrated. He's been put on a plethora of drugs. He's allowed out on day visits under the direct control of suitable guardians for limited amounts of time, but he lives in jail. And will for the rest of his life. Our justice system isn't always as light as we make it out to be, especially for sex crimes and mental issues.

What that says to me is that those that actually need some help, don't get it. Meanwhile the ones who know better but don't do better somehow get chance after chance. Usually at our (societies) expense.
 
karrie
+1
#4
Well, he's getting help. They're trying to help him control himself. They've chemically castrated him, he gets counseling, they try new meds. He gets to go home to see his family because they were lucky enough to be able to move to Edmonton to be near the remand centre. And if the docs ever get the whole thing figured out and 'fixed', he'll get let out. I just wanted to illustrate that saying the teen is getting a psych eval doesn't mean it will be the cake walk some people think it is. They think our justice system sees mental illness as a get out of jail free card. But they really do have to demonstrate that they are well to get out. The unfortunate part for my friend is that his isn't a simple case of mental illness, it's a case of retardation that they're trying to treat as if it was illness. They've given him a benchmark that's impossible to meet. But I really don't know what the alternative is.
 
B00Mer
+1
#5
Wow, just friggin wow. What ever happen to corporal punishment and raising your kids right... I always remembered when I was bad as a kid my mom would break out the wooden spoon.

Kids have no respect these days.. my car just got stolen last week the police recovered the vehicle, and tracked the thieves down using dogs and finger prints left on beer bottles. So a positive ID and the kids where charged..

Now I was told it's a public record and I am allowed to go pick up the files, with the names and all so I can sue these punks in court to have them pay for the repairs.. if nothing else have the judgement follow them around for 7 years if they don't pay.

I figure just 30 minutes in a closed room with these punks and they won't be stealing cars or anything, EVER..
 
karrie
+4
#6  Top Rated Post
Yes, corporal punishment prevents rapists. silly society.
 
SLM
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Well, he's getting help. They're trying to help him control himself. They've chemically castrated him, he gets counseling, they try new meds. He gets to go home to see his family because they were lucky enough to be able to move to Edmonton to be near the remand centre. And if the docs ever get the whole thing figured out and 'fixed', he'll get let out. I just wanted to illustrate that saying the teen is getting a psych eval doesn't mean it will be the cake walk some people think it is. They think our justice system sees mental illness as a get out of jail free card. But they really do have to demonstrate that they are well to get out. The unfortunate part for my friend is that his isn't a simple case of mental illness, it's a case of retardation that they're trying to treat as if it was illness. They've given him a benchmark that's impossible to meet. But I really don't know what the alternative is.

It does sound like he's getting help, at least the limitations of his conditions are being addressed and the acknowledgement of how it mitigates his responsibility for his actions. But at the same time, I can't help but think that the rapist who has no extenuating circumstances is usually in and out of prison within a few years time. Free to rape again, essentially. And they can help themselves and are capable of taking responsibility for their actions.

I don't know that a psych eval is a 'get out of jail free' card per se, but there are those that get put into the mental health system that shouldn't perhaps be there (there are two child murderers that come immediately to mind) and then the 'healing' is miraculous. So, although I'm comparing rapists to murderers (equally heinous in my mind actually), we have the young man that you described who, through no fault of his own really, is on life 'lock-down' because of his actions (and I agree there really isn't any other alternative, sadly) compared with those who commit other more atrocious crimes that regain their freedom in a relatively short amount of time. So I have some deep skepticism when it comes to the mixing of the mental health system with the legal/criminal system.
 
B00Mer
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Yes, corporal punishment prevents rapists. silly society.

...and being a Liberal ***** and never teaching your children that you will be punished if you do wrong... that is why todays society has so mant degenerates...

Someone really needs to take these kids aside and teach them the difference between being a punk and being a man...

Boxing ring come to mind.. a few rounds.

Generally two parents work these days.. there is never really a parent around to be a parent these days..
 
Praxius
+2
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I have an acquaintance who molested a woman on a city bus when he was 17, and punched a city bus driver. He was brain damaged via abuse as a toddler (systematic starvation), and never progressed past about a 10-12 year old mentality, although his body carried on growing. The result was essentially a child with the body of and urges of a man. Needless to say, that doesn't fly well in society. But honestly, those were his crimes. He grabbed a breast, and punched a man. He was sentenced to remand 'until such a time as he is capable of demonstrating self control.' In other words... for good. He's been chemically castrated. He's been put on a plethora of drugs. He's allowed out on day visits under the direct control of suitable guardians for limited amounts of time, but he lives in jail. And will for the rest of his life. Our justice system isn't always as light as we make it out to be, especially for sex crimes and mental issues.

Yes, I do remember you mentioning this situation in the past, however I doubt it has much relation to this kid's situation, especially when looking at the known facts, such as not just beating the snot out of her to the point of causing brain damage and turning her into a shut-in.... and of course sexually assaulting her in the process, but also robbed her and took off while covered in her blood, which a witness confronted him about asking if he was ok... and he had a wonderful story all planned out in that he was in a fight and defended himself.

Sorry, but that goes way the hell beyond grabbing a boob and punching someone..... that goes several levels beyond.

This freak needs to be locked away and I personally don't give two rat turds what his childhood "Might" have been like or any other possible excuses or reasons he may have had.... there is no excuse for this kind of behavior and brutality.

You want to act like an animal, than you can be treated like one.... and pampering this poor kid and trying to help him is a fk'n insult to what this lady went through, who now won't even leave her damn house because of him.

He may have had a fk'd up childhood and possibly have some mental illness??

Well we sure as hell know his victim does after what he did to her.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I have an acquaintance who molested a woman on a city bus when he was 17, and punched a city bus driver. He was brain damaged via abuse as a toddler (systematic starvation), and never progressed past about a 10-12 year old mentality, although his body carried on growing. The result was essentially a child with the body of and urges of a man. Needless to say, that doesn't fly well in society. But honestly, those were his crimes. He grabbed a breast, and punched a man. He was sentenced to remand 'until such a time as he is capable of demonstrating self control.' In other words... for good. He's been chemically castrated. He's been put on a plethora of drugs. He's allowed out on day visits under the direct control of suitable guardians for limited amounts of time, but he lives in jail. And will for the rest of his life. Our justice system isn't always as light as we make it out to be, especially for sex crimes and mental issues.

There is nothing to suggest that the OP offender was in this catagory. It looks more like a crime of opportunity to me.

That being said, for your aquaintance, it is a shame that he was not in proper care before his offense such that he would not have done what he did. The sentencing was inappropriate IMHO as well.
 
gore0bsessed
+1 / -1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

...and being a Liberal ***** and never teaching your children that you will be punished if you do wrong... that is why todays society has so mant degenerates...

Someone really needs to take these kids aside and teach them the difference between being a punk and being a man...

Boxing ring come to mind.. a few rounds.

Generally two parents work these days.. there is never really a parent around to be a parent these days..


Karrie the man you described in your story, does he ramble on like this guy?
 
karrie
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

...and being a Liberal ***** and never teaching your children that you will be punished if you do wrong... that is why todays society has so mant degenerates...

Someone really needs to take these kids aside and teach them the difference between being a punk and being a man...

Boxing ring come to mind.. a few rounds.

Generally two parents work these days.. there is never really a parent around to be a parent these days..

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound making it a political issue? Who's the stay at home mom on this board? What political label do people give me? Who says anti-spanking laws are dumb, and talks about having spanked her kids? And what lame *** political label do you partisan hacks always try to give me?

Seriously. Corporal punishment has never prevented someone from becoming a violent offender. That is a twist in your logic that you're not likely to sell someone on. Being too soft on kids doesn't make them go out and beat grandmas half to death and rape them. You're taking a bizarre leap there. Really bizarre.
 
petros
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

What political label do people give me?

He probably call you a Liberal slacker.
 
karrie
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

Sorry, but that goes way the hell beyond grabbing a boob and punching someone..... that goes several levels beyond.

This freak needs to be locked away and I personally don't give two rat turds what his childhood "Might" have been like....
He may have had a fk'd up childhood and possibly have some mental illness??

Well we sure as hell know his victim does after what he did to her.

Let me clarify. I was not speaking to compare these two instances. I was simply speaking to point out that mental problems, at least here in AB, are not a get out of jail free card, and if someone can be locked up for the foreseeable stretch of their life for so little, you're jumping to a huge conclusion to assume that saying 'mental eval' means this guy is gonna walk.

I sincerely hope he's found both not mentally ill, and possessing of adult comprehension of his crime.
 
petros
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Let me clarify. I was not speaking to compare these two instances. I was simply speaking to point out that mental problems, at least here in AB, are not a get out of jail free card, and if someone can be locked up for the foreseeable stretch of their life for so little, you're jumping to a huge conclusion to assume that saying 'mental eval' means this guy is gonna walk.

I sincerely hope he's found both not mentally ill, and possessing of adult comprehension of his crime.

Some don't know the difference between sentences to a hoosegow (set time) Vs. sentences to a Mental Health Forensics units which are indefinate.
 
EagleSmack
#16
Aggravated Sexual Assault... are they kidding?
 
petros
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Aggravated Sexual Assault... are they kidding?

That is a rape with violence causing bodily harm. That's not a light one ES.
 
karrie
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Aggravated Sexual Assault... are they kidding?

Aggravated Assault puts it into the sentencing category of attempted murder without having to prove intent to try to kill the person.
 
earth_as_one
-1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Yes, corporal punishment prevents rapists. silly society.

Let me get this straight. You claim that by physically assaulting your child, you teach them not to physically assault others?

I think that just teaches the child to fear you... which works until they are bigger than you and can apply the same lesson back to you. Also when they are with other children, they will follow your example to get others to do what they want.

When Children are young, they want to please. A stern NO and/or verbal cues of anger are good enough. When they got older and they become more rebellious, they are also old enough to understand negotiation and bargaining. That's when I would threaten to deny access to favorite things like toys or order them to a time out in the penalty box (chair in the corner facing the wall). I never sent them to their room for punishment as that's supposed to be a pleasant place. Later on as teens, when they earned an allowance, I'd impose fines and or they got grounded.

In my experience, you don't need to hit children... ever. that said, I not telling other parents how to raise their child. If you think your kid needs a good beating ever once in a while... its none of my business until you start leaving marks and bruises... If i see a kid with a bruise and it came from an adult ie: parents, I'm going to call Children Aid Services:
Reporting Child Abuse & Neglect It’s Your Duty Your responsibilities under the Child and Family Services Act

If I don't then I'm breaking the law too.

The Child and Family Services Act (CFSA) recognizes that each of us has a responsibility for the welfare of children.
Introduction

We all share a responsibility to protect children from harm. This includes situations where children are abused or neglected in their own homes. Ontario's Child and Family Services Act (CFSA) provides for protection for these children.

Section 72 of the Act states that the public, including professionals who work with children, must promptly report any suspicions that a child is or may be in need of protection to a children's aid society (CAS). The Act defines the phrase "child in need of protection" and explains what must be reported to a CAS. It includes physical, sexual and emotional abuse, neglect, and risk of harm.

This brochure explains the "duty to report" section of the Act and answers common questions about your reporting responsibilities....

Reporting Child Abuse & Neglect It’s Your Duty Your responsibilities under the Child and Family Services Act

Maybe if more people did this, then fewer children would grow up to be damaged adults.
 
karrie
+2
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one View Post

Let me get this straight. You claim that by physically assaulting your child, you teach them not to physically assault others?


No. But I'm sure you'll see that as you read on.
 
B00Mer
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Seriously. Corporal punishment has never prevented someone from becoming a violent offender. That is a twist in your logic that you're not likely to sell someone on. Being too soft on kids doesn't make them go out and beat grandmas half to death and rape them. You're taking a bizarre leap there. Really bizarre.

Look. I'm home.. not posting from a phone, so I can explain things a little better.

What I am saying, is that today's society both parents are often out working and the children are at home with no parent, role model or guidance.

Also, I think that a stick up bringing, lets say military school or doing chores and if you do something wrong a proper punishment.. help a person learn to be a good person and develop values.

This is lacking in today's society with the one parent, or busy parents..

I mean come on.. people put TV's in the back of their car seats to substitute for actually spending time with their children.. an electronic babysitter. How about a game of License Plate Poker..

As far as corporal punishment, OMG!! The kids going to report you to the police if you spank them.. this is what I would say to my kid; "you want to call the police, but the minute they leave your going to get a spanking twice as hard and grounded for life, or in a military school" (joking there)

Last question, Karrie, I think your center left in your political views.
 
karrie
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Look. I'm home.. not posting from a phone, so I can explain things a little better.

What I am saying, is that today's society both parents are often out working and the children are at home with no parent, role model or guidance.

Also, I think that a stick up bringing, lets say military school or doing chores and if you do something wrong a proper punishment.. help a person learn to be a good person and develop values.

This is lacking in today's society with the one parent, or busy parents..

I mean come on.. people put TV's in the back of their car seats to substitute for actually spending time with their children.. an electronic babysitter. How about a game of License Plate Poker..

As far as corporal punishment, OMG!! The kids going to report you to the police if you spank them.. this is what I would say to my kid; "you want to call the police, but the minute they leave your going to get a spanking twice as hard and grounded for life, or in a military school" (joking there)

Last question, Karrie, I think your center left in your political views.

Basically Boomer, the only way I think a parent can create a rapist is through severe abuse, molestation, and downright torture. I would really challenge you to come up with some studies explaining how lack of moral guidance turns someone into a violent rapist. Despite your attempt to more concisely explain, you really aren't backing up your assertion.

To become this twisted, this cruel, takes something more than lack of discipline or bad parenting.
 
EagleSmack
+2
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

That is a rape with violence causing bodily harm. That's not a light one ES.

Ah. Gotcha

Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Aggravated Assault puts it into the sentencing category of attempted murder without having to prove intent to try to kill the person.

Thanks....

Waiting others.

Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one View Post

Let me get this straight. You claim that by physically assaulting your child, you teach them not to physically assault others?
.

Let me get this straight... you are unaware that purple font denotes sarcasm in CanCon?
 
B00Mer
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

To become this twisted, this cruel, takes something more than lack of discipline or bad parenting.

Here is a great answer for you.. sorry I can't take credit for this response.. not sure I want too

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

The truth is there is no specific thing that causes someone to become a rapist. Some people have great parents with great upbringings and they end up raping females for the shear fact that they want to.

It is definitely possible that a neglected or abusive childhood can increase the chances that someone will rape if they already have the natural urge to. But there have been many people who have had much worse childhoods than the person who raped you and have ended up becoming law abiding citizens.

Basically all males have had thoughts of rape in their lifetime. It is natural for us to have these thoughts. It stems back to the caveman days when the males would see a female wondering in the woods, clock her over the head, and drag her back to the cave as their prize. It shouldn't be looked at as such a horrible thing that ruins your life. We are just animals (really smart ones I might add). So when a guy gets the urge to rape a woman he is just acting upon his instinctive urges. At some point in time the males realized that all the females kept getting stolen and raped constantly so they thought, "well, how about nobody rapes the females anymore to be fair to each other. And if anybody rapes a chick they will get locked in a cage. And here were are today turning it into something it is not.

written by Lenhard Eular





...
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one View Post

Let me get this straight. You claim that by physically assaulting your child, you teach them not to physically assault others?

You might want to understand what purple text means on this board.
 
earth_as_one
#26
No I was not aware purple meant sarcasm. I thought it was (sarcasm alert).
 
karrie
+1
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Here is a great answer for you.. ... And here were are today turning it into something it is not.

written by Lenhard Eular





...

wtf? At some point while he was talking about how thoughts of rape are normal, yes, I agree. Minds wander, etc. But, his closing remark is distanced from the discussion of natural thoughts, and reads as if he's saying that we are overly sensitive about the ACTION of rape.

Regardless....you prove my point. smacking your children around won't prevent them becoming rapists.
 
EagleSmack
+1
#28
Oh my gosh

 
earth_as_one
#29
I'm fairly certain rape crosses the mind of all males.... But thinking and doing are different things. Its impossible to control the thoughts that cross ones mind, but everyone must control their actions. I am against attempting to control what people think or punishing people for their thoughts. Only actions should have consequences.
 
karrie
+1
#30
btw, Yahoo Answers psychology section isn't exactly valid psychology reference material
 

Similar Threads

14
Orphaned, Raped and Ignored
by Mowich | Feb 1st, 2010
8
Children raped at Abu Ghraib
by darkbeaver | Apr 2nd, 2008