Earth's first Trojan asteroid

ironsides
Now there's word out of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory that astronomers have just discovered Earth's first Trojan asteroid a rock that shares our own solar orbit, leading us around the sun like a tugboat pulling an ocean liner. That's big news not just because such an object had never been spotted before, but also because a Trojan could make such an easy and nifty place for astronauts to visit.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2085982,00.html?xid=newsletter-weekly

dumpthemonarchy
I like all asteroid news and I like this of course. All space news is good news.

I must disagree with idea of landing on an asteroid, because, unlike the Moon, they lack water for fuel and breathing. Plus, they are farther away. An automatic mining machine, if it works, okay. But then it could work on the Moon too.

CDNBear
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

I like all asteroid news and I like this of course. All space news is good news.

Really? I would have thought you would be annoyed by those terrible immigrant rocks.

petros
+3
Mohammed predicted this.

DaSleeper
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Mohammed predicted this.

Is there water on that rock??

Cliffy
+1
Trojan asteroid - does this mean the thing has a giant condom on it?

petros
+2
Mohammed says water can be a rock and an asteroid.

lone wolf
+4
#8  Top Rated Post
Wouldn't that be the Sheik asteroid?

Tonington
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

It means if we go to investigate the asteroid, a life form will hitch a ride back to earth and wipe many of us out.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

It means if we go to investigate the asteroid, a life form will hitch a ride back to earth and wipe many of us out.

Yeah, I think I saw that movie.

ironsides
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Yes, it's safe.

Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

I must disagree with idea of landing on an asteroid, because, unlike the Moon, they lack water for fuel and breathing. Plus, they are farther away. An automatic mining machine, if it works, okay. But then it could work on the Moon too.

That little asteroid would make a very good new Internation Space Station when ISS is crashed. Not better than a Moon base, but in addition to one.

petros
+2
Quote:

because, unlike the Moon, they lack water for fuel and breathing

I like boating on the moon under it's gorgeous mauve (lilac for Americans) skies.

CDNBear
+2

I like boating on the moon under it's gorgeous mauve (lilac for Americans) skies.

I prefer jogging, with that fresh unsullied air filling my lungs and blowing through my hair.

petros
+2
You aren't going to try to sell me shampoo or tampoons are you?

CDNBear

You aren't going to try to sell me shampoo or tampoons are you?

Nope, just some lake front property on the moon.

petros
+1

Old folks homes..this would never happen on the moon. She'd bounce.

CDNBear
+1
"Medic alert, Help!!! I've floated and I can't get down!!!"

petros
+1
Damn Russians and their Upsidaisium zimmer frames.

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

That little asteroid would make a very good new Internation Space Station when ISS is crashed. Not better than a Moon base, but in addition to one.

I totally support as much space colonization as possible. It's a gigantic place up there.

Cliffy
Ya! I wish all those who want to go and colonize space would get on with it. It is getting too crowded and dirty down here. Those who want to go can send cash to NASA to speed things up.

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

...a Trojan could make such an easy and nifty place for astronauts to visit.

Not really, but as usual, the media do a poor job of explaining scientific matters. It's currently over 200 times as far away as the moon, not an easy trip at all. It'd be more like a trip to Mars at a close approach than a voyage to the moon. The article also did a pretty poor job of explaining the orbital parameters, the thing moves around quite a lot in an undulatory motion around the Lagrange point, it's only a semi-stable location, not really a place where the gravitational fields of the earth and sun balance.

ironsides
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

Not really, but as usual, the media do a poor job of explaining scientific matters. It's currently over 200 times as far away as the moon, not an easy trip at all. It'd be more like a trip to Mars at a close approach than a voyage to the moon. The article also did a pretty poor job of explaining the orbital parameters, the thing moves around quite a lot in an undulatory motion around the Lagrange point, it's only a semi-stable location, not really a place where the gravitational fields of the earth and sun balance.

If we ever want to get a hands on in deep space, the asteroid would be a good place for a base, that is after we complete one on the Moon first. Our future in space will be done in jumps, Mars the asteroid, Titan then who knows where. We have a lot of moons to chose from just in our solar system.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

It' not something you really have to travel to. Just go up and wait for it to come to you.

Gilgamesh

Mohammed predicted this.

No she didn't. She did, however, predict your moronic comment :=)

Cliffy
I doubt the rest of the populations of the galaxy would want to have anything to do with such barbaric, devolved creatures as Human beings mucking up their planets. Until we learn to get along and take care of our own planet, they will never let us leave.

DaSleeper
+1
Do you self flagellate often?

petros
Eco-Jesuit?