Linux -: The Future Power


vinod1975
#31
The user interface

Is Linux difficult?

Whether Linux is difficult to learn depends on the person you're asking. Experienced UNIX users will say no, because Linux is an ideal operating system for power-users and programmers, because it has been and is being developed by such people.
Everything a good programmer can wish for is available: compilers, libraries, development and debugging tools. These packages come with every standard Linux distribution. The C-compiler is included for free, all the documentation and manuals are there, and examples are often included to help you get started in no time. It feels like UNIX and switching between UNIX and Linux is a natural thing.
In the early days of Linux, being an expert was kind of required to start using the system. Those who mastered Linux felt better than the rest of the "lusers" who hadn't seen the light yet. It was common practice to tell a beginning user to "RTFM" (read the manuals). While the manuals were on every system, it was difficult to find the documentation, and even if someone did, explanations were in such technical terms that the new user became easily discouraged from learning the system.
The Linux-using community started to realize that if Linux was ever to be an important player on the operating system market, there had to be some serious changes in the accessibility of the system.

Linux for non-experienced users

Companies such as RedHat, SuSE and Mandrake have sprung up, providing packaged Linux distributions suitable for mass consumption. They integrated a great deal of graphical user interfaces (GUIs), developed by the community, in order to ease management of programs and services. As a Linux user today you have all the means of getting to know your system inside out, but it is no longer necessary to have that knowledge in order to make the system comply to your requests.
Nowadays you can log in graphically and start all required applications without even having to type a single character, while you still have the ability to access the core of the system if needed. Because of its structure, Linux allows a user to grow into the system: it equally fits new and experienced users. New users are not forced to do difficult things, while experienced users are not forced to work in the same way they did when they first started learning Linux.
While development in the service area continues, great things are being done for desktop users, generally considered as the group least likely to know how a system works. Developers of desktop applications are making incredible efforts to make the most beautiful desktops you've ever seen, or to make your Linux machine look just like your former MS Windows or MacIntosh workstation. The latest developments also include 3D acceleration support and support for USB devices, single-click updates of system and packages, and so on. Linux has these, and tries to present all available services in a logical form that ordinary people can understand.
The screenshot below shows how each item in the Channel list (RH 7.2, StarOffice, Opera, Ximian Gnome, Loki games and CodeWeavers) can be updated with one mouse click. Adding or removing software packages or keeping the system up to date is simple with tools like this one, called Red Carpet:
Figure 1-1. Ximian Red Carpet: automated package management
 
allen_p
#32
dude, forget cut n paste stuff.
Lets talk specific issues.
 
earth_as_one
#33
Linux comes in many flavors.

People use what they know. Most people know Windows. But that doesn't mean Linux is harder or easier than windows.

Learning French is harder than learning modern English even if all you knew was an old version of English. But if you didn't know French or English, both languages would both be equally hard to learn.

Concept wise, a computer is a computer. The hardware is the same. Most modern versions of LINUX are easy to install. Both are Operating Systems but folders are directories, users and file permissions work differently, explorer is a file manager, config files are in /etc directory not registry keys....

Users launch applications like Firefox and Adobe from their desk top or popup menus.

Since LINUX is much more efficient than windows, Linux can run on your old windows box if it doesn't have the power to carry the lastest Microsoft behemoth (VISTA). Also you'll have an easier time finding drivers for the older hardware.

So the time to try Linux is when you buy a new computer.

Back up all your windows files from your old machine and restore onto your new windows machine. When you are sure you are ready to move on with your new computer, load a version of Linux on your old computer.

Who knows you might decide you like linux better than windows.

http://www.linuxforum.com/

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-linux-help/

http://forums.gentoo.org/
 
vinod1975
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by allen_p View Post

dude, forget cut n paste stuff.
Lets talk specific issues.

that was just the definations and about linux so really dont matters whether you copy paste or write them in your own words till the time you wont talk about some specific issues
 
allen_p
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by vinod1975 View Post

that was just the definations and about linux so really dont matters whether you copy paste or write them in your own words till the time you wont talk about some specific issues

typos "defination"

Meaning : "the act of defining or making definite, distinct, or clear"

If cutting and pasting would have made things clearer - Please paste links - and credit orginal author who could "DEFINE" things. We could always go to that website and check out errata as well.
 
DurkaDurka
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one View Post

Linux comes in many flavors.

People use what they know. Most people know Windows. But that doesn't mean Linux is harder or easier than windows.

Learning French is harder than learning modern English even if all you knew was an old version of English. But if you didn't know French or English, both languages would both be equally hard to learn.

Concept wise, a computer is a computer. The hardware is the same. Most modern versions of LINUX are easy to install. Both are Operating Systems but folders are directories, users and file permissions work differently, explorer is a file manager, config files are in /etc directory not registry keys....

Users launch applications like Firefox and Adobe from their desk top or popup menus.

Since LINUX is much more efficient than windows, Linux can run on your old windows box if it doesn't have the power to carry the lastest Microsoft behemoth (VISTA). Also you'll have an easier time finding drivers for the older hardware.

So the time to try Linux is when you buy a new computer.

Back up all your windows files from your old machine and restore onto your new windows machine. When you are sure you are ready to move on with your new computer, load a version of Linux on your old computer.

Who knows you might decide you like linux better than windows.

http://www.linuxforum.com/

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-linux-help/

http://forums.gentoo.org/

I might add, that if you are somewhat technically proficient, you can parition your hard drive so that you can duel booth both windows and linux. Or you can always run a live cd or boot up a vm image.
 
vinod1975
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by allen_p View Post

typos "defination"

Meaning : "the act of defining or making definite, distinct, or clear"

If cutting and pasting would have made things clearer - Please paste links - and credit orginal author who could "DEFINE" things. We could always go to that website and check out errata as well.

Ok Allen lets start from you , as I respect you a lot now so , I give you the owner of describing what is Linux and the difference between Linux and windows vista...
 
DurkaDurka
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by vinod1975 View Post

I give you the owner of describing what is Linux and the difference between Linux and windows vista...

Besides the obvious?
 
allen_p
#39
@ vinod1975 :

I can explain a lot about a few things apart from Linux and Vista,
But that will defeat the purpose of "Linux : Copy and Paste" Thread

Moreover I am a firm believer of RTFM and STFW .
BTW if you are really keen try Wikipedia.

And from now - I will refrain from this thread . No More replies from me in this thread (I will avoid temptation ). Since I thought you had some academic research and related experience/background in Linux. I thought discussing issues would have helped us further our knowledge domain. Entirely my mistake, dude.
 
vinod1975
#40
IBM will not use Windows Vista - but will move to Linux desktops
William Henning - Monday, March 6th, 2006 | 1:13PM (PST)

IBM switching to Linux desktops in Germany according to a Linux Forum 2006 presentation by their head of open source and Linux sales in Germany.
Interesting news from LinuxForum 2006
During a presentation on IBM's involvement with Open Source, Andreas Pleschek from IBM in Stuttgart, Germany, who heads open source and Linux technical sales across North East Europe for IBM made a very interesting statement...
"Andreas Pleschek also told that IBM has cancelled their contract with Microsoft as of October this year. That means that IBM will not use Windows Vista for their desktops. Beginning from July, IBM employees will begin using IBM Workplace on their new, Red Hat-based platform. Not all at once - some will keep using their present Windows versions for a while. But none will upgrade to Vista."
The question is, does this only apply to IBM in Germany, or IBM world wide?
If ALL of IBM switches to Linux desktops and OpenOffice... that would be a very significant loss to Microsoft; not only in direct licensing revenues, but also in speeding adoption of Linux by other companies. After all, if IBM can run on Linux desktops...


Source: LinuxForum Day 2
 
Daemoen
#41
Not certified, but I am very familiar with both windows and linux.

Im curious though, I havent been able to find any real reason behind this topic other than your desire to push "Oracle Enterprise Linux" Which is hillarious since its a REPACK of RHEL SRPMs, just like CentOS. (I run Cent on my own servers).

For those of you who say that linux is not ready to be a desktop operating system, I am working on a distro based on ubuntu. Once I'm finished and I release it, I want you guys to test it out, and then make that statement. I get so tired of that ****.

Linux is more ready as a desktop operating system than windows is. The only thing it lacks is support from major companies due to time and monetary investment into microsoft's licensing bull.

Good thing wine is coming around. Its now pretty easy to get most mmo's and games to run under wine, so long as you know how to read and type.
 
DurkaDurka
#42
When major game publishers start supporting directx emulation of their games via Wine, then you might see some people consider gaming on linux. Until that point though gaming on Linx is more of a "hey, I got it to work exercise".
 
Daemoen
#43
Thats not going to be as much of a problem in the (near?) future. Many of the leading game companies are working on ports to use GL instead of DX. OpenGL allows them to seamlessly flow between systems as far as the graphics is concerned. Now the kernel, thats another story.
 
vinod1975
#44
DaemoenNot certified, but I am very familiar with both windows and linux.


Good to see you here , you are more then welcome , Please let me know more about ubuntu, as I have heard about it a lot and I have the dvd for this also and any Idea about Free BSD
 
Zzarchov
#45
Of course IBM is switching to Linux..

It donates something like what? A billion a year into building Linux. IBM is not a fan of its products being at the whim of Microsoft and donates heavily into Linux in code.
 
vinod1975
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by Zzarchov View Post

Of course IBM is switching to Linux..

It donates something like what? A billion a year into building Linux. IBM is not a fan of its products being at the whim of Microsoft and donates heavily into Linux in code.

Is this the reason that IBM is not making any money out of windows so switching over to linux
 
vinod1975
#47
Are they going to use thier own source code or they are going to come up with new brand of linux may like IBM-linux or Lin-IBM-UX or what ever.......
 
Zzarchov
#48
Uhm.... IBM never made money of Windows (windows is an MS program, a rival). It tried to make a competing OS for along time but couldn't compete, so it donated most of its Code to open source projects. The logic being if it can't make money on an O/S to cut the knees out of any competitors. If the O/S is free, people could also thus afford to buy more expensive hardware for the same money (which is money to IBM, selling windows is not).

Apache is chalk full of IBM code they donated. Much of the changes to Linux in recent years have been IBM changes donated to the open source project. They don't give a damn about selling linux or making money off it.

They are keen to ensure no one makes money of an O/S since they kept failing at it. If you can't beat your competition, whipe out the industry and focus what you can do better than anyone else.
 
vinod1975
#49
Quote: Originally Posted by Zzarchov View Post

Uhm.... IBM never made money of Windows (windows is an MS program, a rival). It tried to make a competing OS for along time but couldn't compete, so it donated most of its Code to open source projects. The logic being if it can't make money on an O/S to cut the knees out of any competitors. If the O/S is free, people could also thus afford to buy more expensive hardware for the same money (which is money to IBM, selling windows is not).

Apache is chalk full of IBM code they donated. Much of the changes to Linux in recent years have been IBM changes donated to the open source project. They don't give a damn about selling linux or making money off it.

They are keen to ensure no one makes money of an O/S since they kept failing at it. If you can't beat your competition, whipe out the industry and focus what you can do better than anyone else.


Love to read your posts and your answers...... , you are a good man with good knowledge
 

Similar Threads

9
Linux
by hariharan | Mar 29th, 2008
4
Want to try linux?
by Technology Bot | Jun 2nd, 2004