Downtown Vancouver soon to have no gas stations

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Just over the viaduct .

And about half a dozen stations just over the Burrard bridge.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

The fact is a lot of people who live in downtown Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, may not own or need a vehicle of any sort. Public transit is usually pretty good in the downtown core and most essentials if not are likely walking distance. The rents of the residence and costs of those essentials are much higher as well probably not leaving much in the budget for a vehicle. Parking is also an issue.

So there aren't too many downtown fueling stations. And the land owner/station owner is going to do whatever is best for their financial interest. So not surprised to see cores without gas stations. Suburbs have plenty as they have sucky public transit and everybody needs a car.

If you live in the downtown core of a high-density city like Vancouver, why would you even need public transit? Wouldn't walking or cycling do the trick? There could be exceptions I suppose if for example you live downtown but work in a suburb or if you live downtown but your close friends and family live in a suburb. But I'd imagine that most who live downtown work and shop downtown too, meaning that they'd need any kind of fuel-powered transport on their days off if traveling a greater-than-usual distance.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

If you live in the downtown core of a high-density city like Vancouver, why would you even need public transit? Wouldn't walking or cycling do the trick? There could be exceptions I suppose if for example you live downtown but work in a suburb or if you live downtown but your close friends and family live in a suburb. But I'd imagine that most who live downtown work and shop downtown too, meaning that they'd need any kind of fuel-powered transport on their days off if traveling a greater-than-usual distance.

Cycling is not practical if you don't want to arrive sweaty. Downtown cores are bigger than a couple city blocks so some sort of public transit is necessary. For the off days, there are rental cars which are cheaper for occasional use than owning. Not enough demand to justify a gas station if the land can be used for more money making endeavors.

Curious Cdn
+1

Cycling is not practical if you don't want to arrive sweaty. Downtown cores are bigger than a couple city blocks so some sort of public transit is necessary. For the off days, there are rental cars which are cheaper for occasional use than owning. Not enough demand to justify a gas station if the land can be used for more money making endeavors.

Won't be any gas at all unless Alberta and BC kiss and make up.

DaSleeper

The fact is a lot of people who live in downtown Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, may not own or need a vehicle of any sort. Public transit is usually pretty good in the downtown core and most essentials if not are likely walking distance. The rents of the residence and costs of those essentials are much higher as well probably not leaving much in the budget for a vehicle. Parking is also an issue.

So there aren't too many downtown fueling stations. And the land owner/station owner is going to do whatever is best for their financial interest. So not surprised to see cores without gas stations. Suburbs have plenty as they have sucky public transit and everybody needs a car.

If I lived where my daughter lives in Mississauga, across Eglington from the mall, a grocery store, a hardware store, dollar store and several restaurants, a park in her back yard..................I wouldn't need a car...
When you figure the cost plus insurance and maintenance......It would be cheaper to rent one for the few trips I might need to make every year......

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Won't be any gas at all unless Alberta and BC kiss and make up.

That's a good one

Curious Cdn
+1
I lived quite comfortably in NDG (west part of Montreal) without a car for several years. The transit system in the city proper is good there, with an excellent subway system at it's heart. It was easy to get out of town, too. 90 minutes on a Greyhound bus into New York and you were a short walk to the top notch Adirondac Mountain Club trail system. A MUCH longer bus ride (9 hours!) north from the same Berri bus station and you are in the huge La Verendrye provincial park ... far wilder and larger than the famous Algonquin in Ontario. You literally get off the bus at Camp Dorval and walk 300 feet, hop in your rental canoe and into the bush for a couple of weeks.
(Yes, there are bears in Quebec.) 90 minutes west by Greyhound and you're in downtown Ottawa. Three hours east by bus to Quebec City and you're in a different country.

bill barilko
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

And about half a dozen stations just over the Burrard bridge.

4 within a 60 second walk of my house at 4th & Burrard and more up on Broadway.

darkbeaver
There,s one in a twenty kilometer radius for me, when in the good old days there was six, and they would do the windshield.

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

There,s one in a twenty kilometer radius for me, when in the good old days there was six, and they would do the windshield.

Poor stupid LIE-berals- they want to pretend that govt BRIBERY is as efficient as free market choices! Idiots who call gas stations disappearing from urban Vancouver "social Darwinism" are engaged in social FRAUD!

It is a tribute to the amount of GRAVY that LIE-berals expect to GRAB from their electric Toy vehicle mess that they should persist in trying to sell us these very Costly and mouldy green FAILED machines!

LIE-berals tell us their gross Green Energy mess is good for us and point to various corporations that have jumped on the mouldy green band wagon as proof that the LIE-beral Green Energy and Carbon crap and trade scam messes are working and are accepted by the public. This article presents the truth re LIE-beral energy and environmental failures. With some comments of my own in brackets):

Big business has bought into the green agenda for the subsidies

By Lorne Gunter , Edmonton Sun. First posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 05:12 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 05:23 PM EDT

Monday, Wood Mackenzie, a leading oil, gas, mining and renewable energy analysis firm, issued a report claiming “major oil and gas producers will put more of their capital into wind and solar developments as returns from renewables are poised to exceed some hydrocarbon projects.”

In short, a global consulting firm says major energy companies are going to put lots of money into “green” energy while scaling back on fossil fuels because there is now as much or more money to be made in renewables.

Every time similar news comes out – and it comes out about once a month these days – my Inbox is jammed with told-ya-so messages from “green” activists saying things like, “See, see, even corporate executives accept that climate change is real. They’re ready to do something about it. Why don’t you stop defending carbon.” (Expletives deleted.)

(LIE-berals and their Hog allies have NO intention of telling the truth about green energy. Not about how costly it is. Not about what a job killer it is. Not about the HUGE subsidies that govt throws at green jobs. Green supporters are willing to `modify` the news as necessary to make it LOOK like Green Energy is working well!)

It happened after U.S. President Donald Trump withdrew from the Paris accord and the next day an American headline trumpeted “Corporate America scolds Trump for dumping climate agreement.”

(In truth “Corporate America” is simply afraid that their VERY PROFITABLE green subsidies may be cut!)

It happened last month when London’s Financial Times printed a feature entitled “The Big Green Bang: how renewable energy became unstoppable.” And in March when financial news service Bloomberg carried a headline proclaiming “Big Oil replaces rigs with wind turbines.”

What’s missing in all of these stories is not the what, but the why?

Why, for instance, would executives from four oil and oilsands companies have stood at the podium in November 2015 when Alberta Premier Rachel Notley announced her carbon tax and Climate Leadership Plan?

After all, aren’t corporate execs all about maximizing profits (i.e. greed)? Aren’t they all climate change “deniers” who are against the “green” economy? If even they are worried enough about the future of our planet to go “green,” shouldn’t we all do the same?

Frankly, no.

First of all, there are lots of “wets” – intellectual liberals – among the corporate elites. Indeed, the wealthiest 10% in Western countries are now more likely to vote and donate to the left than to the right.

(A CEO knows to follow the money and right now the money is ALL held by govt! Why run a private business trying to lure in finicky consumers who are broke anyway when you can get a flood of money by sucking up to govt? So what if the govt is LIE-beral- their money has no party affiliation!)

A subconscious feeling of guilt over being prosperous, coupled with peer pressure, have created a need among today’s corporate class to be seen to be socially aware.

But the biggest single reason for this new “green” enlightenment among major energy companies? Subsidies.

(LIE-berals LOVE subsidies. They are paying 900 percent MORE for wind power in Ontari-owe than for other forms of electrical generation. Have signed contracts guaranteeing they will buy any and all green energy produced, regardless of our real needs- which is why they must so often SELL electricity to other provinces and states at a HUGE LOSS! Have re-jigged our electrical grid so we DON’T use as much low cost water power for generation as we once did- in order to MAKE ROOM for unreliable and COSTLY green energy on the grid and it all costs money. Add in the fact that most of the green energy projects are owned by LIE-beral friends and or by financial experts investing Hog pension money in wind farms and you have a HUGE array of LIE-beral pals making a LOT of money off green energy- and LIE-berals are GENEROUS to their supporters!)

There are literally hundreds of billions of dollars in taxpayers’ and electricity consumers’ dollars on offer from governments. And drilling for subsidies seems certain to produce a steadier income stream than drilling for hydrocarbons.

Just three reasonably minor examples from Canada illustrate the problem.

Current “green” energy plans by Ontario’s Liberal government are expected to add $170 billion to residential and industrial power bills by 2032. That’s government forcing consumers to subsidize “green” energy companies.

In Alberta, a carbon tax to subsidize renewable energy and energy-efficiency conversions in new and existing buildings will cost the average family $1,000 a year by 2018 and raise around $3 billion a year for the provincial NDP to toss around at all manner of save-the-planet schemes.

And calculations by Calgary author and policy analyst Mark Milke show that between 2000 and 2016, 80% of the billions in industrial subsidies given out by Natural Resources Canada went to renewable energy companies.

(Mouldy green LIE-beral policy ONLY cleans wallets and leaves the dirt in the air!)

Around the world it’s the same or worse. Governments are pouring slop pails full of taxpayer dollars at wind, solar, biomass and other alternate energies. It’s almost certain none of these energies would be profitable without massive subsidies.

With oil stubbornly below $50US/bbl., getting “green” politicians to squeeze taxpayers and consumers for huge subsidies and massive electricity rate increases is a great way for oil executives to make up sagging profits.

It’s Big “Green” and Big Oil versus taxpayers and consumers.

(The worst of it is that LIE-berals deliberately ignore the simple solutions to fossil fuel use. They refuse to cut back on Hog gravy. Take a drive up to the north east GTA -the side roads east and south of Newmarket and look at all the 3, 5, 10 acre estates out there- each one with a 3 or 4 car garage- with so many cars there is no need for public transit out that way! And in fact NONE exists- it is classic urban sprawl car culture- SPAWNED by Sunshine List Hogs! It is classic urban sprawl- the LIE-berals want US to forget about! But its FINE for LIE-beral pals to live in- and LIE-berals are launching their Carbon crap and trade scam so they will have MORE GRAVY for Hogs who already have the largest carbon foot print!)

(Then take your canoe up to the Muskoka Lakes and paddle around counting up the number of gas guzzling toys buzzing around you! And again- ask: how many Sunshine List Hogs are here? The true answer ought to be INFURIATING FOR YOU! Unless YOU are a Hog!)

(If govt simply cut back on gravy for Hogs, they would do as we peasants have done all along- they would SHRINK their gross carbon foot print down to more modest levels! They would drive smaller cars and drive less frequently. They would own smaller and easier to heat dwellings. They would think twice before pulling out the gas guzzling toys, and might look to less damaging forms of fun! With less gravy, Hogs would even cut back on airline travel and airplanes are the most dirty way to move anything! But LIE-beral lust for power at any price coupled with Hog greed means none of these environment saving options will ever be used! Cut back on Hog gravy and we could even save our economy!)

(LIE-berals will continue to buy both Hog votes and corporate support with OUR money while the environment burns, the economy wobbles under its debt loads and LIE-beral pals get rich! LIE-beral Dalton McGinty told us years ago that it “was time for govt to start picking economic winners and losers in Ontari-owe”. Just our luck that ALL the winners have been carbon spewing LIE-beral PALS!)

Retired_Can_Soldier
If I lived in a city like Montreal, I'd use the subway and public transit, but out in the country you can never find a bus when you need one.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

If I lived in a city like Montreal, I'd use the subway and public transit, but out in the country you can never find a bus when you need one.

Montreal is a very "central" and concentrated city and it is easier to make mass transit work for you, there. The GTA, on the other hand, sprawls like LA and they are having a hell of a time trying to build a transit infrastructure that can reach all of the bits. There was a time when the countryside around was accessible. You could get a train to just about anywhere before the automobile drove them out of business.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Montreal is a very "central" and concentrated city and it is easier to make mass transit work for you, there. The GTA, on the other hand, sprawls like LA and they are having a hell of a time trying to build a transit infrastructure that can reach all of the bits. There was a time when the countryside around was accessible. You could get a train to just about anywhere before the automobile drove them out of business.

I agree. Montreal is a much cooler city too.

Hoid
Montreal is a much smaller city than Toronto too. That probably accounts for a lot of the differences.

OpposingDigit
The cost of removing/rehabilitating old service stations and removing the huge fuel tanks and to remove all the contaminated soil surrounding the tanks is huge. Countless millions of dollars and if I remember correctly, the province takes a huge financial hit.

Hoid
just one more example of how government pays the way for business.

petros
+1
Remediation is cheap if you are building a high rise.

BTW It's BC. If you plant trees and build a highway (17) top of a garbage dump (Pt. Mann) that will leach toxins into the Fraser it's green.

The solution to pollution is dilution.

Mt Polley same thing. F-ck settling ponds just dump it directly into the lake and lay no charges.

NEWS
It’s Official: No Provincial Charges for Mount Polley Mine Spill, One of Largest Environmental Disasters in Canadian History
Carol Linnitt Feb 3, 2018 7 mins read
When it seemed clear the newly minted B.C. NDP government would not pursue charges against Imperial Metals, owner and operator of the Mount Polley mine, for a 2014 tailings pond collapse, one woman decided to take matters into her own hands.

Bev Sellars, former chief of the Xat’sull (Soda Creek) First Nation — in whose territory the tailings pond released an estimated 25 million cubic metres of mining waste into Quesnel Lake — filed a private prosecution against Mount Polley on August 4, 2017, the final day charges could be laid.

Sellars made the case that Mount Polley has violated 15 rules under B.C.’s environmental and mining laws. She brought the private prosecution into play with the hope the province would take over the charges.

But this week B.C.’s Crown Prosecution Service quashed the case, saying there wasn’t enough evidence to proceed.

Sellars said the news came as a shock.

“I don’t understand how they can say there wasn’t enough evidence,” Sellars said. “Anyone can go out there or look online and see there was a spill. And there were consequences of the spill.”

The tailings pond collapse caused a spill that lasted over 12 hours. The massive deposit of mine waste that entered Quesnel Lake, a source of drinking water for residents of Likely, B.C., contained mercury, arsenic, selenium, copper and other heavy metals and remains settled on the lake’s floor to this day. Quesnel Lake is one of the deepest fjord lakes in the world and is home to a quarter of the province’s sockeye salmon population. The long-term effects of the spill and its contamination of fish habitat is still uncertain.

While the time limit has run out for criminal charges to be brought in B.C., federal charges under the Fisheries Act can still be laid for another 18 months.

However, Sellars is worried federal charges won’t be laid.

“If there are no federal charges, then it’s just a free for all. Go out and pollute. So what if you have breaches of your tailings ponds? There’s nothing anyone can do,” she said.

“This is setting a dangerous precedent.”

pgs
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Remediation is cheap if you are building a high rise.

BTW It's BC. If you plant trees and build a highway (17) top of a garbage dump (Pt. Mann) that will leach toxins into the Fraser it's green.

The solution to pollution is dilution.

Mt Polley same thing. F-ck settling ponds just dump it directly into the lake and lay no charges.

NEWS
It’s Official: No Provincial Charges for Mount Polley Mine Spill, One of Largest Environmental Disasters in Canadian History
Carol Linnitt Feb 3, 2018 7 mins read
When it seemed clear the newly minted B.C. NDP government would not pursue charges against Imperial Metals, owner and operator of the Mount Polley mine, for a 2014 tailings pond collapse, one woman decided to take matters into her own hands.

Bev Sellars, former chief of the Xat’sull (Soda Creek) First Nation — in whose territory the tailings pond released an estimated 25 million cubic metres of mining waste into Quesnel Lake — filed a private prosecution against Mount Polley on August 4, 2017, the final day charges could be laid.

Sellars made the case that Mount Polley has violated 15 rules under B.C.’s environmental and mining laws. She brought the private prosecution into play with the hope the province would take over the charges.

But this week B.C.’s Crown Prosecution Service quashed the case, saying there wasn’t enough evidence to proceed.

Sellars said the news came as a shock.

“I don’t understand how they can say there wasn’t enough evidence,” Sellars said. “Anyone can go out there or look online and see there was a spill. And there were consequences of the spill.”

The tailings pond collapse caused a spill that lasted over 12 hours. The massive deposit of mine waste that entered Quesnel Lake, a source of drinking water for residents of Likely, B.C., contained mercury, arsenic, selenium, copper and other heavy metals and remains settled on the lake’s floor to this day. Quesnel Lake is one of the deepest fjord lakes in the world and is home to a quarter of the province’s sockeye salmon population. The long-term effects of the spill and its contamination of fish habitat is still uncertain.

While the time limit has run out for criminal charges to be brought in B.C., federal charges under the Fisheries Act can still be laid for another 18 months.

However, Sellars is worried federal charges won’t be laid.

“If there are no federal charges, then it’s just a free for all. Go out and pollute. So what if you have breaches of your tailings ponds? There’s nothing anyone can do,” she said.

“This is setting a dangerous precedent.”

Fake news , Quesnel Lake is not home to a 25% of B.C.’s sockeye salmon .

petros
+1
With a news outlet that calls themselves Narwhal it's gotta be true.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by spilledthebeer View Post

Poor stupid LIE-berals- they want to pretend that govt BRIBERY is as efficient as free market choices! Idiots who call gas stations disappearing from urban Vancouver "social Darwinism" are engaged in social FRAUD!

Dude, maybe you should join a support group for the MIS-use Of FO NT SIZES anD Italics.

White_Unifier

I agree. Montreal is a much cooler city too.

Are you serious? From what I remember, Montreal was hot and humid in summer.

Wow! Just wow! You have to go all the way out to the country to notice a serious deterioration of public transportation? I'm impressed. Around where I live, you just have to leave the downtown core to witness major deterioration of public transit. And even then, it's not so much that it's much improved in the downtown core so much as it's just not needed there. Public transit in most of Canada except maybe Montreal leaves much to be desired.

If a government wants to promote green transportation, the first thing it should do is promote higher-density development. Until that happens, any other strategy will crash before it gets off the ground.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Are you serious? From what I remember, Montreal was hot and humid in summer.

You may want to consult a thesaurus to get all the various meanings of a word before commenting.

White_Unifier

You may want to consult a thesaurus to get all the various meanings of a word before commenting.

English is such an imprecise language.

taxslave
Well it was invented by Englishmen. The same people that gave us Prince of Darkness wiring.

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Well it was invented by Englishmen. The same people that gave us Prince of Darkness wiring.

Elon Musk in a rage- his electric TOY car biz is failing! He blames journalists rather than crappy technology!

Here is an article illustrating that all is not going well in the electric TOY car business. With some comments of my own in brackets):

Elon Musk rants against media on Twitter, proposes website to rate journalists

FOX News: By Elizabeth Zwirz. May 24/2018

Tesla CEO Elon Musk aired his frustration with the media on Wednesday, issuing a series of tweets calling out the “hypocrisy of big media companies” before floating the idea of starting a website which would allow the public to rate journalists.

(And WHY is Musk annoyed with media? Perhaps because they have forced him to admit certain things. Such as the Tesla that was in self drive mode when it accelerated just before ramming a fire truck! Or that other Tesla that was also in self drive mode when it squashed a pedestrian. And then there is the recent admission that the Tesla model 3 has a fairly serious braking issue. And somebody recently drove an electric Toy car across the entire United States- but had to do so wrapped in heavy blankets because electric toy cars have such crappy range- especially when the temperature gets down towards the freezing point that a driver must chose between cabin heat and battery range! Or we might mention the rough finish documented on various joints in Tesla model 3`s and we may ask: is this rough finish conducive to accelerated rates of corrosion- and does that possibly accelerated corrosion and resulting structural weakness put drivers at greater safety risk in a crash - since a cracked lithium battery case IGNITES as soon as its contents are exposed to air? Let us ask: how great is your risk of burning to death if you crash in a 6 year old Tesla that may have corrosion issues and weakened structural integrity?

“The holier-than-thou hypocrisy of big media companies who lay claim to the truth, but publish only enough to sugarcoat the lie, is why the public no longer respects them,” Musk started out by tweeting.

(OH I have to agree that media often tells us fibs- but the truth will out as they say! Musk sounds like a spoil sport as his dream machines fail to perform! His position is made much worse as LIE-berals simply cannot find the gravy needed to bribe us into costly electric TOY cars with limited range, awkward refueling system, limited cargo capacity and NO towing ability! LIE-berals have price gouged us so badly on electricity for our homes and businesses- and Petro Canada was such a costly Trudeau failure that NOBODY wants LIE-berals in the car business! )

Musk went on to claim that “journos are under constant pressure to get max clicks & earn advertising dollars or get fired.”

“Tricky situation, as Tesla doesn’t advertise, but fossil fuel companies & gas/diesel car companies are among world’s biggest advertisers,” he said.

ELON MUSK CONFIRMS TESLA MODEL 3 HAS A BRAKING ISSUE, SAYS A FIX IS IN THE WORKS

And to one Twitter user who commented on the CEO’s remarks, Musk replied “the media has earned this mistrust. But maybe there is a solution.”
Elon Musk smiling for the camera© Provided by Fox News

Musk also talked about creating a site, possibly called Pravda, where people “can rate the core truth of any article” and keep track of the credibility of a journalist or news outlet. He also created a poll, asking followers to choose whether the website was a good idea.

(So the guy who is planning to make a fiscal killing selling us electric toy cars- and now is struggling to BORROW the money he needs from bankers who are not impressed with what he has done so far, to keep his dream alive, is planning to personally vet this truth exposing site himself? Don’t the Securities and Exchange agents have something to say about corporate self promotion like that?)

Pravda was the name of a Communist newspaper in the former Soviet Union.

Musk’s company has been the recipient of recent backlash due to a number of crashes involving the company’s vehicles.

TESLA THAT CRASHED INTO TRUCK WAS ON AUTOPILOT, DRIVER SAYS

During one incident in Utah this month, the driver of a Tesla that crashed into a truck at 60 mph told police that she had the vehicle’s autopilot feature turned on.

Musk reacted at the time, tweeting that it was “super messed up that a Tesla crash resulting in a broken ankle is front page news and the 40,000 people who died in US auto accidents alone in past year get almost no coverage.”

(So- because there are a lot of stupid human drivers on the road- Musk thinks it is okay to grab up huge govt grants and subsidies so he can add his self driving MESS to the road mix?)

During Wednesday’s comments, Musk also responded to individual reporters, including one who retweeted Musk’s comment and drew a comparison to President Trump.

In response to a reporter who said Musk was continuing “his slow transformation into a media-baiting Trump figure screaming irrationally about fake news,” the Tesla CEO replied, “Thought you’d say that. Anytime anyone criticizes the media, the media shrieks “You’re just like Trump!

(I would be more concerned about the amount of our tax money going into promotion of this definitely NOT READY FOR MAIN STREAM CONSUMPTION KIND OF TECHNOLOGY! LIE-berals like to compare their beloved electric toy vehicles to the early days of gas car production- LIE-berals IGNORE the truth- that NO motor vehicle got subsidies in the old days- gas cars are most common now because they won the economic battle by providing superior performance and are more efficient and more useful than the alternatives- and currently they are MUCH CHEAPER AS WELL- in spite of those gross LIE-beral subsidies! We will end up with a lot of electric toy cars on the road ONLY if LIE-berals pull a dictator act on us and bully us out of our preferred choices!)

“Why do you think he got elected in the first place?” Musk continued. “Because no one believes you any more. You lost your credibility a long time ago.”

To another journalist, who wrote that “blaming the messenger is the hot new thing everyone’s doing,” Musk replied, “Oh hey another sanctimonious media person who thinks he’s above criticism.”

“Try being truthful & the public will believe you again,” Musk said.

Tesla did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment.

Fox News’ Nicole Darrah contributed to this report.

(No- and I would not hold my breath while waiting for an honest comment from Musk the slick salesperson whose dreams outreach his economic common sense!)