2010 - 2011 World Junior Men's Hockey

Mowich
Canada made it by the Russians today with a score of 6 - 3. Our guys meet the Czechs tomorrow. In spite of all the talk about the team not being as good as the 2009/10 team, I thought our young men played a good game. They had almost double the shots on goal compared to the Russians. They showed a lot of spirit and drive once their nerves settled down a bit. They have a long road ahead of them and many games to win before they get a chance to take the cup back from the U.S. I wish them all the best in the games to come.

GO CANADA, GO! CANADA'S JUNIORS ROCK!

TenPenny
I thought Canada was sort of outplayed for most of the 1st, the Russians seemed to have a definite speed advantage. But the Canadians regrouped, and came together.

gopher
Canadians playing very well. Hopefully, my Yanks can win the tournament again despite the odds.

talloola
glad canada won, and also canucks, I missed both games, with stomach upset due to too much sweet cake
topped with very sweet icing, all is well now, so I'll be back at it tomorrow.
GO CANADA GO

damngrumpy
This game is unpredictable at best, it is a day to day thing. Years ago when I did
play by play on radio in the BC Junior League, you sometimes wondered how a
team could be so good and yet come up short on a given night.
I hope they just keep going beating the Russians, is a confidence builder for sure
though

#juan
I see the American team managed to win in overtime against the Finnish team. Canada out hit the Russian team by a large margin and it took it's toll in the later periods. It will be interesting to see how Canada does against the Czech team today.

#juan
Canada won their game against the Czech team by a score of 7 - 2

It was one of the worst officiated games I have seen in years. Both teams had a player ejected from the game....I think the second one was to make up for the first one. I don't know at this time what the final ruling will be.

Mowich
Apparently Kassan will get a one game suspension so he won't be on the ice when the Canadians play Norway. After watching endless replays and comments by TSN, it looked like the hit was in the neck area and that was enough to get the suspension as IIHF rules are stricter about such hits. Neither the Russians nor the Czechs - especially the Czechs - looked all that great in their games. The Russians lost again to Sweden yesterday too. The Canadians are really good at penalty killing and seem to improve their game everytime they hit the ice. Hope they prevail against Norway today. Go Canadians!

CUBert
5-1 Canada vs Norway in the first period... Lots of offensive

gooal, 6-1...

TenPenny
Schenn didn't get his 5, but he did get the 4.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Schenn didn't get his 5, but he did get the 4.

another excellent young player drafted by l.a. kings, they have a few now.

CUBert
I'm infuriated by this loss!

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by CUBert View Post

I'm infuriated by this loss!

why ?

CUBert
why wouldn't I be? I am a fan of team Canada and want them to win... especially after those cocky swedes were running their mouths... and now the coach is running his mouth saying the Czechs and Russians gave them a harder challenge..
well, Canada of course is still alive, they must defeat the Swiss and move on to the U.S.A and hopefully if all goes well meet Sweden in the goal medal game for sweet revenge.....

gopher
USA > Swiss 2-1

nice match!

CUBert
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

USA > Swiss 2-1

nice match!

yes, the Swiss played really well, in particular their goalie was outstanding.. they really could have won the game... it was very close.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by CUBert View Post

why wouldn't I be? I am a fan of team Canada and want them to win... especially after those cocky swedes were running their mouths... and now the coach is running his mouth saying the Czechs and Russians gave them a harder challenge..
well, Canada of course is still alive, they must defeat the Swiss and move on to the U.S.A and hopefully if all goes well meet Sweden in the goal medal game for sweet revenge.....

I'm a fan of Team Canada too and also want them to win, but I love a very good close hockey game, and I
would like all the games to be that way. The swedes always have a well coached very good team, and I
would always expect them to give canada a good game.

Me frustrated, never, unless of course canada had sent a poor team, poor coaching and were not prepared,
not the case.

I find usually all the 'so called running the mouth stuff', is manufactured by the media, and if one
actually sees the interviews, it is all exagerated, I don't listen with any sincerity to'anything' they say.
The coaches all know that canada always sends a quality team, they have respect for our teams, and also,
even our coaches do make little comments to boost their own teams, that's sport, and there is some
back and forth jabber, it's fun.
Being frustrated isn't fun, I want to have fun, even when losing.

TenPenny
Seemed to me that the Canadians were too sloppy with the puck, too many intercepted passes and turnovers...if they don't control the puck, they'll be going home soon.

wulfie68
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Seemed to me that the Canadians were too sloppy with the puck, too many intercepted passes and turnovers...if they don't control the puck, they'll be going home soon.

Thats what I thought too: lots of sloppy passes, not clearing the puck when they needed to (like on the one goal) and generally sub-par puck control. I also thought that when they were taking the body to the Swedes, they had the "typical" European reaction and were on the defensive. I know playing physical takes a toll on the initiators, not just the receivers but thats always been one of the advantages North Americans have had over the Europeans, particularly the Swedes. In this game it could have been decisive if we'd kept it up.

Skatchie
+1
second year in a row where we are going to lose because our goaltending is pathetic.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by Skatchie View Post

second year in a row where we are going to lose because our goaltending is pathetic.

I didn't realize our goaltender was responsible for turning over the puck every 28 seconds.

Mowich
In spite of all odds, the Russians beat the Swedes today to advance to the Gold Medal game. One goal will be talked about for some time to come with arguments over whether there should or should not have been an icing call - regardless, the Russians were credited with the goal and went on to win the game in a shoot-out. Many were saying that the Russians would be tired after their overtime win against the Fins last night and though they did not look energetic neither did the much vaunted Swedes. After the needless remark about our Canadian team by the Swedish coach, I think this loss looks good on them but even better it is a great win for the Russians and the question now is who will they meet in the Gold Medal game - Canada or the U.S. - that game gets under way in just over an hour PST.

Goal- tending and penalties will be the big factor in this game, IMHO. The Canadians are good at penalty killing but so are the Americans and they do have the more experienced goalie in Campbell. I really hope the game lives up to all the hype that it has been given and provides us fans with some really great hockey. One thing for sure, the stadium will be a sea of red and white as the majority of seats are taken by Canadian fans - who really rock!

GO, CANADA, GO! I AM CANADIAN AND HOCKEY IS OUR GAME!

CUBert
Americans just got dominated. Bring on the Russians!

Mowich
By the end of the first period it was quite evident that our young Canadians had all the skills they needed to win this game and win it they did in very convincing fashion. Final score of 4 to 1 hardly tells the story as the MVP for the US team certainly found out, stopping 37 shots on goal as compared to 22 for the Canadian goalie. However, our goalie was outstanding during the game, snatching opposition pucks out of the air and blocking the US time after time. It took a powerplay goal before the US finally got on the board.

Our kids did us proud today - they dominated the game and put to rest for now just who is the better team. Right on Canadian Juniors, now all you have to do is beat the Russians on Wednesday and Canada will once again take the gold back home where it truly belongs.

GO, CANADA, GO! CANADA'S JUNIORS ROCK THE ICE!

talloola
great game by the canadians, they were solid, on to the gold medal game.

GO CANADA GO

Kreskin
What an interesting venue. Buffalo was under siege from Canadians on the ice and in the stands. Canadians are like a collective group of army ants when it comes to hockey. They probably ate the arena right out hot dogs. Hopefully the locals survived the onslaught.

I thought the tenacious hitting noticeably intimidated the US early in the game. From that point on it was just a matter of whether or not the goaltenders would decide the result.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

What an interesting venue. Buffalo was under siege from Canadians on the ice and in the stands. Canadians are like a collective group of army ants when it comes to hockey. They probably ate the arena right out hot dogs. Hopefully the locals survived the onslaught.

I thought the tenacious hitting noticeably intimidated the US early in the game. From that point on it was just a matter of whether or not the goaltenders would decide the result.

One thing I wondered about was, if the Canadian fans weren't there, the stadium would have been nearly empty?. It is always nice to see our team win big in our game.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

One thing I wondered about was, if the Canadian fans weren't there, the stadium would have been nearly empty?. It is always nice to see our team win big in our game.

Or they just got on ticketmaster faster.

gopher
+1
Canadians gave us Yanks a wicked whipping. Lots of luck versus Russia.

Cannuck
Next to the Canada/Russia game in the 2010 Olympics, that was probably the best played game in international hockey that I have personally witnessed Canada play. Complete domination in every aspect. We made them our bitches. Well done.

Now, if they play like that against Russia, the Ruskies may as well head home now.