China releases democracy activist after nine years

china
China releases democracy activist after nine years
China National News
Thursday 6th November, 2008
(IANS)

China Thursday released a well-known dissident after he served more than nine years of a 13-year prison sentence, a Hong Kong-based rights group said.

Veteran activist Liu Xianbin was released from the Chandong prison in the south-western province of Sichuan, the Information Centre for Human Rights and Democracy said.

Liu, 40, had returned to his family in Sichuan province's Suining city following his early release for good behaviour, the group said.

He was granted a sentence reduction of two years and eight months after working as a teacher at the prison, it said.

Liu was reportedly given an earlier one-year sentence reduction in May 2004.

His sentence was linked to his activities as a leading member of the banned China Democracy Party.

china

There is mercy and leniency in China. With that, there is hope. 9 years is still too long for a harmless intellectual. The penalty does not correspond to the crime, if any. By locking him up, China has inadvertently locked up many other brains and the good potentials they can bring about for the goodness of that nation. Can be a lose-lose.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by china View Post

There is mercy and leniency in China. With that, there is hope. 9 years is still too long for a harmless intellectual. The penalty does not correspond to the crime, if any. By locking him up, China has inadvertently locked up many other brains and the good potentials they can bring about for the goodness of that nation. Can be a lose-lose.

........We should worry about the brainless nutbars they leave running around loose.

Tyler
It's an improvement. Baby steps.

-Tyler
---------------------------
Blables.com - Get Smart, Sell Stuff

darkbeaver
Maybe he'll stop accepting US dirty money to subvert the legal Chinese government.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Maybe he'll stop accepting US dirty money to subvert the legal Chinese government.

Waiting for him to get caught. Nine years is what he'll hope for.

9mm is probably what he'll get.

Jees, hope not

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

........We should worry about the brainless nutbars they leave running around loose.

We can't help anybody untill we control our own brainless nutbars. In the west you can get life and or disappeared for less. Don't believe me visit the American prison system including Gauntanamo Bay or one of the other 600 or so elegle prisons.

Said1
Stay out of Mike Harris' way too.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1 View Post

Stay out of Mike Harris' way too.

Egad! Is he around again?

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Egad! Is he around again?

Sure is. I saw him haulig rocks on the chain gang.

#juan
Nice to see you back Said 1.............Cheers....

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Nice to see you back Said 1.............Cheers....

Why thank ya, juan.

gerryh
well isn't that special....... they released a man from prison that they threw in there for publicly voicing his views and pushing for an elected government........ wasn't that sooooo nice of those rat bstards running that shyte hole of a country.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

well isn't that special....... they released a man from prison that they threw in there for publicly voicing his views and pushing for an elected government........ wasn't that sooooo nice of those rat bstards running that shyte hole of a country.

I, uh, guess that's what I wanted to say. Thanks Gerry.

Scott Free
Reminds me of the USA when they were on their witch hunt for communists.