London traffic warden defies five furious secret service agents

Locutus
+5
#1  Top Rated Post
... to give Hillary Clinton a ticket

attaboy.

Argument: Hillary Clinton's security staff get into a row with a traffic warden whilst waiting for her in London

In discussion: The Westminster City Council warden put a penalty notice on the silver Mercedes car (centre)

• Westminster City Council warden puts penalty notice on her Mercedes
  • Clinton was attending an event at Chatham House to pick up an award
  • Given £80 fine for failing to buy a ticket while parked in £3.30/hour bay
  • Photographer claims he saw one agent flashing his badge to warden
  • Councillor: 'We have to be fair to everyone, regardless of their status'

what a shame:

Fearless traffic warden puts ticket on Hillary Clinton's car in London | Mail Online

petros
+2
Right on.

karrie
+1
She can afford it.

B00Mer
+2
Way to go.. btw Hillary sends her regards.

PoliticalNick
+3
Absolutely priceless. I'm so tired of all these govt types thinking laws don't apply to them.

Johnnny
+2
good for him

karrie
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

Absolutely priceless. I'm so tired of all these govt types thinking laws don't apply to them.

I doubt she had anything to do with it to be honest. I doubt she drove, I doubt she rented the car that did drive her, I doubt she was the one in her entourage responsible for paying the metre. And I doubt she had anything to do with the people who were supposed to take care of it, arguing it. There's a difference between thinking you're above the law, and being insulated from the realities of day to day trivial crap like paying a parking metre.

hunboldt
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Way to go.. btw Hillary sends her regards.

Boom, THAT Hilary looks good enough for hump day hotties, Botox week edition...

B00Mer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by hunboldt View Post

Boom, THAT Hilary looks good enough for hump day hotties, Botox week edition...

Nah here is the botox queen.. Barbara Boxer... way past her prime, waaaay past.

Like an old banana with way to many black spots.

Barbara Boxer: Republicans are like wife-Beaters

tober
What a hoot.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I doubt she had anything to do with it to be honest. I doubt she drove, I doubt she rented the car that did drive her, I doubt she was the one in her entourage responsible for paying the metre. And I doubt she had anything to do with the people who were supposed to take care of it, arguing it. There's a difference between thinking you're above the law, and being insulated from the realities of day to day trivial crap like paying a parking metre.

Yes, but we mustn't let anything like facts or reasonable interpretations interfere with our visceral hatred of Secretary Clinton.

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Of course you are right but you must admit that the optics are funny .

Blackleaf
That's not all.

The American embassy in London has run up more than 63,000 congestion charge penalties and owes British authorities more than £7.2 million in unpaid fines.

The London congestion charge was introduced in February 2003. It is a fee charged on most motor vehicles operating within the Congestion Charge Zone (CCZ) in central London between 07:00 and 18:00 Monday to Friday. It is not charged at weekends, public holidays or between Christmas Day and New Year's Day (inclusive). The standard charge is £10 for each day, for each non-exempt vehicle that travels within the zone with a penalty of between £60 and £187 levied for non-payment. Transport for London (TfL) is responsible for the charge.

Yet the Yanks have somehow contrived to avoid paying the charges.

British authorities should start chasing up the Americans and force them to pay the £7.2 million that they owe.

Last edited by Blackleaf; Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:13 AM..

PoliticalNick
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

That's not all.

The American embassy in London has run up more than 63,000 congestion charge penalties and owes British authorities more than £7.2 million in unpaid fines.

The London congestion charge was introduced in February 2003. It is a fee charged on most motor vehicles operating within the Congestion Charge Zone (CCZ) in central London between 07:00 and 18:00 Monday to Friday. It is not charged at weekends, public holidays or between Christmas Day and New Year's Day (inclusive). The standard charge is £10 for each day, for each non-exempt vehicle that travels within the zone with a penalty of between £60 and £187 levied for non-payment. Transport for London (TfL) is responsible for the charge.

British authorities should start chasing up the Americans and force them to pay the £7.2 million that they owe.

It's called 'diplomatic immunity'. Look it up and learn.

Blackleaf

It's called 'diplomatic immunity'. Look it up and learn.

Diplomats are exempt from most taxes, but not from "charges levied for specific services rendered" - such as the London congestion charge.

If they are exempt from paying the charge, London Mayor Boris Johnson would not have complained about the American embassy not paying it when he met with Obama in London in May 2012.

In fact, since Johnson complained to Obama, American congestion charge dodging has RISEN.

The Yanks are not the only offenders, but they are by far the worst.

Johnson's spokesman said: “The continued failure of several embassies to pay the congestion charge is unacceptable.

"The charge is absolutely not a tax, it should be paid and the Mayor will continue to make that very clear when meeting the representatives of any embassy failing to pay.”

The Foreign Office says that the charge is for “a service rendered for which there are no legal grounds to exempt diplomats”.

petros
+2
What was the service rendered?

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

What was the service rendered?

Johnson's spokesman said: “The continued failure of several embassies to pay the congestion charge is unacceptable.

"The charge is absolutely not a tax, it should be paid and the Mayor will continue to make that very clear when meeting the representatives of any embassy failing to pay.”

The Foreign Office says that the charge is for “a service rendered for which there are no legal grounds to exempt diplomats”.

petros
What is the service?

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

What is the service?

Using the busy roads in central London, for which you have to pay.

petros
+1
Roads are a service?

PoliticalNick
WTF is this charge anyway. Sounds somewhat unconstitutional to me. $20/day to drive on a public road. That is pretty fuked up.

Blackleaf

WTF is this charge anyway. Sounds somewhat unconstitutional to me. $20/day to drive on a public road. That is pretty fuked up.

You wouldn't thing it's pretty ****ed up if you have to drive through central London.

PoliticalNick
+1

You wouldn't thing it's pretty ****ed up if you have to drive through central London.

I've driven through London many times....it ain't worth $20.

Sons of Liberty

It never ceases to amaze me how everyone thinks we're arrogant and presume we don't do what we're supposed to do and yet foreigners do the same in our country and YOU don't know about it. You are all hypocrites.

And I'm not doing your research for you, look it up yourself.

EagleSmack

Diplomats are exempt from most taxes, but not from "charges levied for specific services rendered" - such as the London congestion charge.

As PN said.... Diplomatic Immunity. Look it up

Blackleaf

I've driven through London many times....it ain't worth $20.

There's a reason why it's called a congestion charge. They ain't charging for the fun of it.

And there are many cities around the world with similar schemes. San Francisco has a congestion charge.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by politicalnick View Post

i've driven through london many times....it ain't worth $20.

rofl!

damngrumpy
There is nothing wrong with charging everyone the going rate for parking
whether they are dignitaries or not. I wonder what the Ms Clinton thing
was about. Have some forgotten Obama is in the White House still and
after the next election Ms Clinton will be the President because the Tea Party
destroyed the Republicans.

EagleSmack

Using the busy roads in central London, for which you have to pay.

We aren't paying you a thing boy! Stuff it!

Go Hillary! Double Park out in front of Big Ben and sight see!

petros
+2

There's a reason why it's called a congestion charge. They ain't charging for the fun of it.

And there are many cities around the world with similar schemes. San Francisco has a congestion charge.

So it's not a service then is it? It's a usage tax.