Your digital afterlife


Locutus
+1
#1
Google launches tool to help users plan for digital afterlife

Inactive Account Manager offers option of giving 'trusted contacts' right to delete data and pictures




Google has opened a new service to let people control what happens to their email, online photos and blogposts saved in its accounts, as concern grows over what happens to users' "digital life" when they die.

Called Inactive Account Manager – which Google's Andreas Tuerk accepts is "not a great name" – it will let users decide whether to trigger it if they haven't logged in for three, six, nine or 12 months, and then either delete their data or send all or selected elements to a nominated person of their choice.

The move comes after increasing concern about problems encountered by families who have been trying to access or shut down accounts on sites such as Facebook after the sudden death of relatives, and amid controversy over the proposed "right to be forgotten" that the European Union is trying to introduce over digital information.


more


Google launches tool to help users plan for digital afterlife | Technology | The Guardian
 
petros
#2
Hmmm. Who wants to inherit my junk folder? Any takers?
 
Sal
#3
I think it is a valid concern. This might have to start being included in wills (passwords) with permission access.
 
Cliffy
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

I think it is a valid concern. This might have to start being included in wills (passwords) with permission access.

Absolutel, otherwise the ethernet will become full of dead people and we all become haunted by virtual ghosts. At least they won't be able to eat our brains (although sometimes I think the internet can suck out our brains).
 
Sal
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Absolutel, otherwise the ethernet will become full of dead people and we all become haunted by virtual ghosts. At least they won't be able to eat our brains (although sometimes I think the internet can suck out our brains).

lol...what brain...half the people on the internet don't use theirs anyway...it's like an unused extra appendage.
 
WindWalker
+2
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

lol...what brain...half the people on the internet don't use theirs anyway...it's like an unused extra appendage.

In todays' world Google = brain. Everyone figures they know everything as long as they have Google at their fingertips. Just don't ask them anything if they don't have their computer with them.
 
Sal
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by WindWalker View Post

In todays' world Google = brain. Everyone figures they know everything as long as they have Google at their fingertips. Just don't ask them anything if they don't have their computer with them.

Guilty lol. I use google daily, it's a lazy habit really. Can't say I disagree with what you have said, but also have to say, I wish some people would make use of it as it is better than what they come up with.

Balance, it's all about balance.
 

Similar Threads

59
'I've seen proof of the afterlife'
by Blackleaf | Mar 24th, 2008
3
Digital Cameras
by Andem | Apr 15th, 2005
10
Records to digital
by bogie | Sep 4th, 2004