A Decade of Misconduct


Locutus
+1
#1
A decade.

Anyway...

via sda:

What Would We Do Without Peer Review?

A Decade of Misconduct
A joint investigation carried out over the course of 2 years by the ORI and the UK found that Eric Smart, who studied the molecular mechanisms behind cardiovascular diseases and diabetes, had falsified or fabricated a total of 45 figures—mostly images of Western blots, a technique used to identify proteins—in seven grant applications, three progress reports, and 10 published papers, some of which were cited more than 100 times, according to Thomson Scientific’s Web of Knowledge. The notice says that Smart also reported experimental data from knockout mice that did not exist.


A Decade of Misconduct | The Scientist Magazine®


small dead animals: What Would We Do Without Peer Review?

 
petros
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
"Peer Review" is a very loose term.

Just because a group of misguided morons approve of a theory by a single moron doesn't mean the theory isn't moronic.
 
DaSleeper
+2
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

"Peer Review" is a very loose term.

Just because a group of misguided morons approve of a theory by a single moron doesn't mean the theory isn't moronic.

Are you referring to "Global Warming" aka "Temperature Change"???? or Al Gore
 
petros
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Are you referring to "Global Warming" aka "Temperature Change"???? or Al Gore

Those three are a good start, there are far too many to list without my fingers stopping finging from cramps.
 
darkbeaver
#5
peers are bought like candy
 
L Gilbert
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

A decade.

Anyway...

via sda:

What Would We Do Without Peer Review?

A Decade of Misconduct

A joint investigation carried out over the course of 2 years by the ORI and the UK found that Eric Smart, who studied the molecular mechanisms behind cardiovascular diseases and diabetes, had falsified or fabricated a total of 45 figures—mostly images of Western blots, a technique used to identify proteins—in seven grant applications, three progress reports, and 10 published papers, some of which were cited more than 100 times, according to Thomson Scientific’s Web of Knowledge. The notice says that Smart also reported experimental data from knockout mice that did not exist.


A Decade of Misconduct | The Scientist Magazine®


small dead animals: What Would We Do Without Peer Review?


And who conducted the investigation of Smart's "research"? Peers. So yeah, we'd be fracked if it weren't for scientific peers. Good article.
 

Similar Threads

5
RCMP accused of misconduct!!
by dancing-loon | Feb 16th, 2008
15
TOP FIVE of (your) DECADE
by Haggis McBagpipe | Dec 31st, 2004