The Demise of Detroit!

tay
Man Desperate to Sell 3-Bedroom Detroit Home Says He's Willing to Trade it for an iPhone 6

The two-story, three-bedroom home has been on the market for months with a price tag of about $5,000. The owner lives in Austria and has never even seen the home in person. He purchased it four years ago for about $41,000 and was hoping to flip the house and make a few bucks.

Unfortunately, the city's fortunes continued to worsen and housing prices plummeted.

Now the owner has told his real estate agent that he is willing to swap it for an iPhone 6 or even a 32GB iPad.

The house has been empty since 2010, and has accrued taxes which now amount to over $6,000 and will need to be paid by the new owner.

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/23179

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

Man Desperate to Sell 3-Bedroom Detroit Home Says He's Willing to Trade it for an iPhone 6

The two-story, three-bedroom home has been on the market for months with a price tag of about $5,000. The owner lives in Austria and has never even seen the home in person. He purchased it four years ago for about $41,000 and was hoping to flip the house and make a few bucks.

Unfortunately, the city's fortunes continued to worsen and housing prices plummeted.

Now the owner has told his real estate agent that he is willing to swap it for an iPhone 6 or even a 32GB iPad.

The house has been empty since 2010, and has accrued taxes which now amount to over $6,000 and will need to be paid by the new owner.

He might try getting it designated as a Heritage home!

EagleSmack

Great balcony view!

petros
Same thing is happening in Buffalo and Rochester NY.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Same thing is happening in Buffalo and Rochester NY.

How come?

#juan
Compare Detroit with Windsor, Ontario, a city similarly involved with the American auto industry. It is doing just fine. Seems to me they have a Honda plant as well as a Toyota and a Hyundai manufacturing/assembly plants. Windsor has only a fraction of the crime that is killing Detroit. What is the difference?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Compare Detroit with Windsor, Ontario, a city similarly involved with the American auto industry. It is doing just fine. Seems to me they have a Honda plant as well as a Toyota and a Hyundai manufacturing/assembly plants. Windsor has only a fraction of the crime that is killing Detroit. What is the difference?

It happens a lot when people decide to go big. When I was in school Detroit was the 5th largest city in the entire U.S. Now it's probably about 25th.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

It happens a lot when people decide to go big. When I was in school Detroit was the 5th largest city in the entire U.S. Now it's probably about 25th.

Poor decisions by the auto manufacturers, continuing to build cars that people didn't want that led to poverty and racial strife that continues to kill Detroit.

petros
Buffalo, N.Y. Sells Homes For $1

JLM

Poor decisions by the auto manufacturers, continuing to build cars that people didn't want that led to poverty and racial strife that continues to kill Detroit.

Yep, but I think that is just the tip of the ice berg. A city of 2 million people wants/needs more than one industry.

petros
More like GMAC and their counterparts blew it.

JLM

Buffalo, N.Y. Sells Homes For $1

Buffalo has been losing 30,000 people a decade for decades. They just need another hockey team. -

#juan

Yep, but I think that is just the tip of the ice berg. A city of 2 million people wants/needs more than one industry.

There is another industry in Detroit........It's called welfare.......When you build cars that nobody wants that don't sell, and use government subsidy to build new cars out of the old new cars, that is another form of welfare.

JLM
Isn't Detroit starting to make a comeback?

Twila

A for profit justice system?

petros

Buffalo has been losing 30,000 people a decade for decades. They just need another hockey team. -

It's time they moved the Sabres to Regina or Saskatoon.

JLM

It's time they moved the Sabres to Regina or Saskatoon.

Is there the population base? Given how Winnipeg struggled for years, I'd be skeptical! Maybe in 10 years if SK continues to boom.

petros
Yeah there is a pop base. We almost bought the Blues 35 years ago.

IdRatherBeSkiing

I think an iPhone6 is too much. How about a blackberry?

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I think an iPhone6 is too much. How about a blackberry?

For a house in Detroit with no door and no glass in the window you can see.....God knows what the inside is like....Could be wall to wall ****e. I'd have to see it first and I would want cash as well.