CTV Doesn’t Care About All Their Grey Cup Audience

Liberalman

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2009/11/millions-of-canadians-will-be-unable-to-watch-the-grey-cup

Canadian Football League or CFL fans will be in for a great big surprise this Sunday when they sit down with their bar-b-cued wings and finger foods some proudly wearing their watermelon hats with friends in homes all across Canada and when it’s time to turn on the TV and search for the channel that has the Grey Cup cheers are going to turn to jeers for the fans that has supported the CFL for years that don’t have cable or satellite TV and the estimation is about four million Canadians.

CTV owns TSN who won the rights to be sole broadcaster for the CFL’s Grey Cup for the next five years.

In this down turn economy where people are losing their jobs and money is tight cable and satellite TV is a luxury that is put aside until more money starts to come into the household.

The CFL and CTV will have to deal with the fallout of this decision

For the CTV they will lose the fee for carriage fight with the CRTC because all those CFL fans that can’t afford cable and satellite TV will just buy writing paper and stamps and write nasty letters to the CRTC and CTV.

CTV seems not to care about all Canadians who have supported them over the years.

This is a good case of why the NFL should move to the great white north since the CFL wants to restrict all Canadians from watching the Grey Cup.

As far as I am concerned the CFL is history

TenPenny
You're serious? The fact that the Grey Cup is on TSN is a major crisis in your life?

From 1995, the percent of households in Canada using cable or satellite went from 75 to 87 percent, and it's likely far higher now. It's hard to believe that very many Canadians don't get TSN if they want it.

The CRTC's mandate is not to ensure that Canadians have over-the-air access to a football game.

Liberalman
It is a major crises in my life that all canadians will not be able to get the Grey Cup on TV for the next five years because CTV is to cheap to do the right thing and keep a tradition going

petros
So what's the problem? My wife shipped our Bell dish to me and last weekend I watched the western final while working in Albuquerque. No problem. No laws were broken and NM now has 20+ new CFL fans.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

It is a major crises in my life that all canadians will not be able to get the Grey Cup on TV for the next five years because CTV is to cheap to do the right thing and keep a tradition going

If that is a major crisis in your life, then you need to get out more. You obviously lead a priviledged existence, and have no concept of hardship or adversity.

karrie
Liberalman I get what you're saying. It's a bit frustrating to see one of the few Canadian sports that large numbers of people bother to watch, turn into a product marketed in a limited venue.

But... I doubt that they will suffer hugely because of it. People like exclusivity, and seem (by and large) to spend more time watching sports they have to pay PPV fees for, than ones that are broadcast to them free of charge.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

If that is a major crisis in your life, then you need to get out more. You obviously lead a priviledged existence, and have no concept of hardship or adversity.

You got that right....

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Liberalman I get what you're saying. It's a bit frustrating to see one of the few Canadian sports that large numbers of people bother to watch, turn into a product marketed in a limited venue.

But... I doubt that they will suffer hugely because of it. People like exclusivity, and seem (by and large) to spend more time watching sports they have to pay PPV fees for, than ones that are broadcast to them free of charge.

A limited venue? 90% of Canadians have satellite or cable. You can't call that limited. How many football fans wouldn't have TSN? Not many.

The whole question is stupid. People who want to watch the Grey Cup almost certainly have TSN already.

Tonington
Or, the people who don't have cable/satellite maybe able to go to the local tavern and watch it there, or a friend who has cable/satellite. I can't imagine that this is a huge problem for many Canadians, though for those with a big problem, sh|tty deal.

bobnoorduyn
+1
#10  Top Rated Post

A limited venue? 90% of Canadians have satellite or cable. You can't call that limited. How many football fans wouldn't have TSN? Not many.

The whole question is stupid. People who want to watch the Grey Cup almost certainly have TSN already.

TSN isn't available on basic cable where I live. I'm not a pro sport fan, watch little television, so I didn't subscribe because TSN was only available with a bunch of other channels I don't watch, for another $15/month. I enjoy the CFL however and support the Riders, but I haven't caught a game since CTV dropped the CFL in favour of the NFL except in hotels where I stayed that had TSN. The only reason I caught the last few games is because we got a watch surf and talk bundle which includes a wider range of cable chanels.

wulfie68
Everyone I know goes to Grey Cup parties at someone's place or they rent a hall/lounge/banquet room. I had no idea that the less than 10% of Canadians without cable had no friends to watch the game with...

karrie

You want to quibble over the semantics of the fact that it's a closed venue you have to pay for access to? LImited, restricted, feed, call it what you will. Numbers are beside the point to what I was saying there, if you read the second half of my post you'd get that.

taxslave
Not quite sure why anyone would want to sit in the cold and watch grown rich men chase after a pig skin on the tundra any way.
Do you not have anything better to do with your life than sit around and watch the boob tube during the day?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Not quite sure why anyone would want to sit in the cold and watch grown rich men chase after a pig skin on the tundra any way.
Do you not have anything better to do with your life than sit around and watch the boob tube during the day?

YEP, but best not to argue with the masses.............

TenPenny
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

You want to quibble over the semantics of the fact that it's a closed venue you have to pay for access to? LImited, restricted, feed, call it what you will. Numbers are beside the point to what I was saying there, if you read the second half of my post you'd get that.

You think everyone in Canada should have a free ticket so they can attend the game? Isn't that the fair way? Anything else is 'restricted access' by your definition.

It's a professional sporting event.
If you're interested in it, you should be willing to pay for it.

Risus

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2009/11/millions-of-canadians-will-be-unable-to-watch-the-grey-cup

Canadian Football League or CFL fans will be in for a great big surprise this Sunday when they sit down with their bar-b-cued wings and finger foods some proudly wearing their watermelon hats with friends in homes all across Canada and when it’s time to turn on the TV and search for the channel that has the Grey Cup cheers are going to turn to jeers for the fans that has supported the CFL for years that don’t have cable or satellite TV and the estimation is about four million Canadians.

CTV owns TSN who won the rights to be sole broadcaster for the CFL’s Grey Cup for the next five years.

In this down turn economy where people are losing their jobs and money is tight cable and satellite TV is a luxury that is put aside until more money starts to come into the household.

For the CTV they will lose the fee for carriage fight with the CRTC because all those CFL fans that can’t afford cable and satellite TV will just buy writing paper and stamps and write nasty letters to the CRTC and CTV.

CTV seems not to care about all Canadians who have supported them over the years.

This is a good case of why the NFL should move to the great white north since the CFL wants to restrict all Canadians from watching the Grey Cup.

You have serious problems, man.

karrie

You think everyone in Canada should have a free ticket so they can attend the game? Isn't that the fair way? Anything else is 'restricted access' by your definition.

It's a professional sporting event.
If you're interested in it, you should be willing to pay for it.

lol... now you're making grand leaps. Show me where I ever implied that should be done. I merely said I got a bit of what Liberalman was talking about, but that overall it wasn't likely to hurt CFL at all. Exaggerate much?

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Or, the people who don't have cable/satellite maybe able to go to the local tavern and watch it there, or a friend who has cable/satellite. I can't imagine that this is a huge problem for many Canadians, though for those with a big problem, sh|tty deal.

I know people who don't have cell phones because everyone else has one.

Mowich
Were it not for satellite, none of us would have TV where I live, too far away from cable. That said, TSN stinks. Their coverage of the CFL games has been deplorable. Their broadcast of the Western Final was delayed due to 'technical problems' - sheesh! Same thing happened during the Varsity Cup yesterday.
The CBC should be the only broadcaster of the CFL. This is OUR league and we deserve a broadcaster that knows what fans want to see, and it is not continual close-ups of coaches spitting on the sidelines, or players too out-of-breath to talk to the camera stuck in their face. We want to see the entire field of play. We want to see everything that is happening on the field. We want to know how many yards are left in a down. And, we want to know what the penalty is, who committed it, and how many yards will be lost on the play.

TSN is great at broadcasting NFL games, let them stick with that and get the hell out of our league.

thomasupton

THE GREY CUP has been available to all for years until last year and again this year in 2010. CTV and TSN could accommodate this by putting it on both but they don't.

Mowich

"If the joy of fandom still escapes you, let me come at it from another angle and leave you with one of my favourite passages on fandom, this from New Yorker writer Roger Angell.
In the cynical, complicated and stressful modern world, there's something to be said for the simple emotional connections that come with being a fan, Angell said: "It is foolish and childish on the face of it, to affiliate ourselves with anything so insignificant and patently contrived and commercially exploitative as a professional sports team, and the amused superiority and icy scorn that the non-fan directs at the sports nut ... is understandable and almost unanswerable.
"What is left out of this calculation, it seems to me, is the business of caring -- caring deeply and passionately, really caring -- which is a capacity or an emotion that has almost gone out of our lives.
"And so it seems possible that we have come to a time when it no longer matters so much what the caring is about, how frail and foolish is the object of that concern, as long as the feeling itself can be saved. Naiveté -- the infantile and ignoble joy that sends a grown man or woman to dancing and shouting with joy in the middle of the night over the haphazard flight of a distant ball -- seems a small price to pay for such a gift."
dstaples@edmontonjournal.com

" If the joy of fandom still escapes you, let me come at it from another angle and leave you with one of my favourite passages on fandom, this from New Yorker writer Roger Angell.

In the cynical, complicated and stressful modern world, there's something to be said for the simple emotional connections that come with being a fan, Angell said: "It is foolish and childish on the face of it, to affiliate ourselves with anything so insignificant and patently contrived and commercially exploitative as a professional sports team, and the amused superiority and icy scorn that the non-fan directs at the sports nut ... is understandable and almost unanswerable.

"What is left out of this calculation, it seems to me, is the business of caring -- caring deeply and passionately, really caring -- which is a capacity or an emotion that has almost gone out of our lives.

"And so it seems possible that we have come to a time when it no longer matters so much what the caring is about, how frail and foolish is the object of that concern, as long as the feeling itself can be saved. Naiveté -- the infantile and ignoble joy that sends a grown man or woman to dancing and shouting with joy in the middle of the night over the haphazard flight of a distant ball -- seems a small price to pay for such a gift."

I apologize for the double post within a post, I must be having computer problems.

petros
Hooray for the Riders. I'll have 3 hours of pure peace, quiet and solitude while Christmas shopping tomorrow.

Just the Facts
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduyn View Post

TSN isn't available on basic cable where I live. I'm not a pro sport fan, watch little television, so I didn't subscribe because TSN was only available with a bunch of other channels I don't watch, for another $15/month. I enjoy the CFL however and support the Riders, but I haven't caught a game since CTV dropped the CFL in favour of the NFL except in hotels where I stayed that had TSN. The only reason I caught the last few games is because we got a watch surf and talk bundle which includes a wider range of cable chanels.

I have to agree. I was on rabbit ears for many years and then even when I did get satellite I never bought the sports package until recently.

Of course it's up to the CFL how they license their rights but I know I would be miffed if I had to miss the game because it was on TSN only.

JLM

Who cares? Just another stupid football game.

petros
Quote:

Who cares? Just another stupid football game.

49% of Canadians will be watching. Sorry about your Lions.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

"If the joy of fandom still escapes you, let me come at it from another angle and leave you with one of my favourite passages on fandom, this from New Yorker writer Roger Angell.

" If the joy of fandom still escapes you, let me come at it from another angle and leave you with one of my favourite passages on fandom, this from New Yorker writer Roger Angell.

I apologize for the double post within a post, I must be having computer problems.

I watched a football game once. Most boring decade of my life. Anyone that needs to watch a game so badly can just buy a ticket and go watch. Or go to the local high school and watch a football game for free.
If they had something with pistons it might be worth watching.

petros
Quote:

If they had something with pistons it might be worth watching.

Nothing beats a combine smash up derby.

YouTube - DEMOLITION DERBY COMBINE STYLE! LIND WA!!!

bill barilko
It's my understanding that it'll be online.

Well there is that too-Yes.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

49% of Canadians will be watching. Sorry about your Lions.

Which zoo do we find them?

petros
Who knows. All I know is it's a perfect time to get things done while giant leprechans are getting drunk and putting melons on their noggins.