Gay Shame Parade

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
That Paris ... she's a font of wisdom! :lol::lol:

I so agree that everything would be simpler if we, as a society, changed our attitude. Your comment about coming out is exactly right. Because it is currently such a huge deal, coming out remains an enormous milestone for most gay people. That explains the whole "Pride" mentality. As long a there are people who want to see us go to hell in a rainbow coloured handbasket, we'll be celebrating being Gay.

I think it is good for people to celebrate what they like but I also think that the parade enforces stereotypes about sexual orientation. This in turn helps to enforce stereotypes about masculinity and femininity. I have been asked on several occasions if I am gay and I have only ever been with woman.

Well, the hole openness thing is great for people that want to live that lifestyle but it puts a lot of pressure on people who are mostly straight and trying to live a straight lifestyle but don't fit the role of some hyper masculine apha male.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
That Paris ... she's a font of wisdom! :lol::lol:

I so agree that everything would be simpler if we, as a society, changed our attitude. Your comment about coming out is exactly right. Because it is currently such a huge deal, coming out remains an enormous milestone for most gay people. That explains the whole "Pride" mentality. As long a there are people who want to see us go to hell in a rainbow coloured handbasket, we'll be celebrating being Gay.

I hope that in my lifetime we see "Gay Pride" move forward to "Gay Culture" or some such. I love the parades and celebrations of the individuality of the lifestyle.

Well said. Although, I have jumped out of an airplane (as well as being a dyke) and highly recommend both! ;)

Hi Cosmo...ya ugly dyke!! :smile: (kidding)

On a serious note, attraction to the same sex has been known for ages perhaps dating back to Biblical times. If that is the case, why, do we as a society, to this day, frown upon the idea/act?

Does that not suggest, in a way, that the act itself goes against the reason we exist....to pro-create?

Ok yes in this day and age, all it takes is a trip to the family doctor if a same-sex couple want children but it still doesn`t seem to ring `alright` with most people.

Don`t get me wrong sweety....I`d love to watch you get it on with another chick, in private.
Participate even, *wink*, but how one looses interest in the opposite sex to the point of commitment to eachother is, well....

Minority Observer84

Theism Exorcist
Sep 26, 2006
The Capitol
Hi

On a serious note, attraction to the same sex has been known for ages perhaps dating back to Biblical times. If that is the case, why, do we as a society, to this day, frown upon the idea/act?
Because for many people the morality of their delusion is absolute and they can't see past it . You really shouldn't feel angry at them they are as much a prisoner of their insanity as they would like us all to be pity is far more appropriate .

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Some day I am going to read a thread on the topic of homosexuality and all its variations differentiating from the usual male/female coupling.... and I will see the word which is often missing in these discussions.... L O V E. I find that omission depressing.

Isn't it about who you prefer to be attracted to and/or in love with rather than who you have sex with ?
Or perhaps not

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Some day I am going to read a thread on the topic of homosexuality and all its variations differentiating from the usual male/female coupling.... and I will see the word which is often missing in these discussions.... L O V E. I find that omission depressing.

Isn't it about who you prefer to be attracted to and/or in love with rather than who you have sex with ? Or perhaps not

If it is completely about what you love about what is inside the package as opposed to what you see on the surface then the whole idea of orientation would quickly disappear.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Don`t get me wrong sweety....I`d love to watch you get it on with another chick, in private.
Like we want to know about yer sex life with a copy of swank

Participate even, *wink*,paying for sex doesn't count as guy bragging rights jb but how one looses interest in the opposite sex to the point of commitment to eachother is, well....

<snip>

Last edited:

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Hey JBee ... What makes ya think I'm ugly?? I wear makeup, have nails, wear short skirts and heels, all the typical "hetero" beauty stuff. Ya better watch what ya say or I'll poke ya in the eye with my mascara wand!

Oh ... and if you wanna watch? Invest in a Timex. ;)

Isn't it about who you prefer to be attracted to and/or in love with rather than who you have sex with ?
Or perhaps not
Exactly, Curio. Love is the bottom line for me. I'm not gay because of the physical (although I admit that I dig chicks over male bodies any day!) ... I'm gay because it's impossible for me to fall in love with a man. I can love men, but that "magic" just ain't there romantically. Believe me, I tried my best. Being straight is a whole lot easier in today's culture but hey, I yam what I yam and I love who I love. It's in the wiring.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: “Gay Shame” Parade

Great wizzie sticks, Cosmo! There you are!

Ugh, the fact that this kind of ignorant display carries on even today, truly disturbs me. It makes me feel fortunate to live in a nation such as Canada, one which has so publicly acknowledged acceptance and tolerance through such measures as the Civil Marriage Act through our representative in the Parliament of Canada. We certainly have a ways to go yet, considering the constant drives to undo the good that’s been done, but we’re getting somewhere.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
What's next? Parades to shame people of non-white skin? Different religions? Disabilities? It's hard for me to believe this actually happens in this day and age.

I believe everyone has a right to their opinion -- even biggots -- but to turn discrimination into a public fair and march a gay man out of town reminds me entirely too much of the old lynchings of Black people in the South. Can something like that be far behind?

Small Town Holds Annual Gay Shame Parade

Who are they? US marines? or PPCLI?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!

Ugh, the fact that this kind of ignorant display carries on even today, truly disturbs me. It makes me feel fortunate to live in a nation such as Canada, one which has so publicly acknowledged acceptance and tolerance through such measures as the Civil Marriage Act through our representative in the Parliament of Canada. We certainly have a ways to go yet, considering the constant drives to undo the good that’s been done, but we’re getting somewhere.

hey, dude. Fancy meeting you here.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Holy colours FiveParadox, nice to see you! It's been dull around here without you!! No colour.

Oh, and the article? I thought it was for real till someone pointed out the source was "The Onion" ... it's bogus. Well, there has been some colour ... my red face! But it did get folks yapping! :)

Ensign Redshirt

May 25, 2006
Northern Ontario
Holy colours FiveParadox, nice to see you! It's been dull around here without you!! No colour.

Oh, and the article? I thought it was for real till someone pointed out the source was "The Onion" ... it's bogus. Well, there has been some colour ... my red face! But it did get folks yapping! :)

That was me. I was worried for a day or two after I posted when I saw the thread kinda died. Here I am, a noob with a whole 15 postings, and I've killed a thread. Glad to see I overestimated my power.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
That was me. I was worried for a day or two after I posted when I saw the thread kinda died. Here I am, a noob with a whole 15 postings, and I've killed a thread. Glad to see I overestimated my power.
Ensign, are trying to set a record for longest time before reaching 20 posts? We have to get you out of the grey. Roll the sleeves up...