Gay Shame Parade

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
What's next? Parades to shame people of non-white skin? Different religions? Disabilities? It's hard for me to believe this actually happens in this day and age.

I believe everyone has a right to their opinion -- even biggots -- but to turn discrimination into a public fair and march a gay man out of town reminds me entirely too much of the old lynchings of Black people in the South. Can something like that be far behind?

Small Town Holds Annual Gay Shame Parade
August 8, 2007
GRAND PLAINS, NE—A tight-knit rural Midwestern farming community commemorated the demonization of homosexuality Sunday with its annual Gay Shame Parade, a three-decade-old tradition that has become a cornerstone of the town's cultural identity.

The second-place float in this year's parade
cruises down Grand Plains' picturesque Main Street.

"Every year, the whole town turns out to enjoy Nebraska's famous summer sunshine, sample foods, browse the craft bazaar, and shame homosexuals for their repulsive, decadent behavior," said Frank Mitchell, mayor of Grand Plains, NE and parade marshal. "This year was our biggest turnout yet. Everybody had so much fun ostracizing the gays."

The parade featured the usual assemblage of police cruisers, fire trucks, antique cars, and farm equipment, which local residents had draped in red-white-and-blue banners that read "Burn in the Eternal Flames of Hell!" City Councilman Fred Brandeen, this year's "Jesus," entertained children by making mock finger-wagging gestures of admonishment and passing out buttons bearing the parade's traditional slogan: "NO!" Members of the Grand Plains Area Wives Association followed behind with a 15-foot hand-sewn banner, cosponsored by Jerry's Auto Body, which read: "GPAWA and Jerry's Cringe To Think What You're Putting Your Family Through."

Organized every year by the Grand Plains City Council and a coalition of area churches, the Gay Shame Parade has been an annual event here since 1977, the year that citizens first became aware of gay people's existence.

"To see a whole community rally together like this around a good cause—it's really an inspiration," said Ellen Lundblom, a mother of four enjoying the festivities with her youngest son, first-time reveler Timmy, 3. "If I were a lesbian, this would have really made me feel awful about myself."
"My favorite part was the balloons," Timmy Lundblom said. "They had all different colors of angry frowny-faces on them."

The event got off to a rousing start with the Grand Plains High School Cougars marching band playing such classics as "The Star-Spangled Banner" and "Onward, Christian Soldiers." The mood grew palpably more sober during the middle portion of the procession, as members of the Grand Plains Baptist Church marched with folded arms in stony, judgmental silence and stared at the spectators lining the streets as if to ask, "Are you gay?"

The spirit of levity returned, however, toward the parade's finish, which featured balloon giveaways, a float contest, and an appearance by 6-year-olds Christopher Weiland and Courtney Wendt, who were crowned "Junior Mister and Miss Heterosexual" on Saturday. The parade concluded with a group reading of Leviticus 20:13.

After the last bit of confetti fell, spectators praised the parade's highlights, including a float, presented by local Little League team the Tigers that depicts a mother, sitting alone with her head down on a kitchen table, crying. The first-place ribbon went to "Sodom and Gomorrah," a miniature version of the two Biblical cities engulfed in flames. The float's designer, McPhee's Department Store window dresser Bruce Carlson, was not able to accept his prize, however, as he was away visiting an aunt in Lawrence, KS for the weekend.

Despite the pageantry, parade organizers stressed that the event has a serious message.

"Everyone loves a parade," PTA chairwoman Agatha Buell said. "But it's about a lot more than the clowns, the decorations, and those Shriner fellows in their tiny cars. It's about making folks feel sickened by the deviant homosexual lifestyle, like God wants us to."

Spectators couldn't help but be delighted by the parade's surprise finale, when, after dutifully leading the marching band for the entire mile-long parade route, local music teacher Colin Atherton was marched past the county line and told never, ever to return.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
When they're THAT self-righteous, ya just gotta wonder what really naughty goes on behind their closed doors. Appearances matter most to those with skeletons in their closets....

Wolf

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
What's next? Parades to shame people of non-white skin? Different religions? Disabilities? It's hard for me to believe this actually happens in this day and age.

I believe everyone has a right to their opinion -- even biggots -- but to turn discrimination into a public fair and march a gay man out of town reminds me entirely too much of the old lynchings of Black people in the South. Can something like that be far behind?

Small Town Holds Annual Gay Shame Parade

Whats even more disgusting are the annual "Gay Pride" parades.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
It's worse in Russia...they beat people up and the cops allow it.

I really don't get how a creationist cannot see the beauty in everything human...Call me a bigot but i do see the difference in a man trapped in a women's body and a womean trapped in a man's body....then the various other levels of effeminate men and such.....honestly if there is a God do you not think this huge contribution to our world doesn't have purpose....I'm not really into the sexual activities,(to be honest gay sex is not my bag) i'm talking about the actuall people that are gay...they are different...ok shoot me ..but i feel it's exactly that difference that is a treasure....

forget God...look at all life that has sprung from this planet and it's diversity....all beautiful....This hatred based on something people have been made to fear is so out dated...I'm proud our government gives some form of recognition to gay marriage.....It's not total and I think that it should be demanded of priests to marry gay people in what ever religion they are getting a tax free ride on...if they want to discriminate based on arcane ideals...let pay huge money for that luxury of hatred and discrimination......

These people celebrating gay bashing are to actually be pitied on certain levels for their quality of life and understanding is lacking in a huge way.....

Odd i don't feel rage about it...hmmmmmmm.....I know they are wrong ..i pity gay people hoked on living around them due to family and work and such....but i don't feel rage.....they are just bottom feeders with a power politically that will change......

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
As long as there are neanderthals out there trying to shame, there will be a need for gay pride parades.

Live and let live - why is that such a difficult concept? Why waste your energy demonizing and hating someone who has zero effect on your life?

Speaks to some kind of oddball pathology, to get that worked up about something that isn't your business anyway.

Pangloss

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
As long as there are neanderthals out there trying to shame, there will be a need for gay pride parades.

Live and let live - why is that such a difficult concept? Why waste your energy demonizing and hating someone who has zero effect on your life?

Speaks to some kind of oddball pathology, to get that worked up about something that isn't your business anyway.

Pangloss
I hear ya ..and welcome you post.
I think gay pride parades are not just about coming out and being proud and unashameful...but a real celebration of the gay community as well....
It reminds me of mardis gras in a way...Mradis Gras started out a true religous linked event...eventually we have this huge party and celebration , the religous fat tuesday and lent thing is not really why they put it on now.....maybe a bad analogy....maybe not so factual on the lent thing ..but that is my impression.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It's incidents like this that make me wonder how far we have really climbed out of the Dark Ages.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

JBeee ... as a dyke myself, I'm truly interested in hearing why you feel that way. What is it that upsets you so much?

This is an honest question. I am truly curious about what goes on in the minds of people who find diversity so frightening and abhorrent.

The reason I posted the article is that I'm a big believe in emphasizing the positive ... if the folks had a Hetero Pride Parade, I'd say, "Cool! I'll come cheer." Why do they have to be against something else? Why can't people just enjoy who they are and let everyone else do the same? I really, truly don't get that.

I always find these topics most interesting.

Minority, Wolf, Doc, Shadow and Pangloss ... my sentiments exactly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonington

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
JBeee ... as a dyke myself, I'm truly interesting in hearing why you feel that way. What is it that upsets you so much?

This is an honest question. I am truly curious about what goes on in the minds of people who find diversity so frightening and abhorrent.

The reason I posted the article is that I'm a big believe in emphasizing the positive ... if the folks had a Hetero Pride Parade, I'd say, "Cool! I'll come cheer." Why do they have to be against something else? Why can't people just enjoy who they are and let everyone else do the same? I really, truly don't get that.

I always find these topics most interesting.

Minority, Wolf, Shadow and Pangloss ... my sentiments exactly.

dyke2 (dīk)
also dike
n. Offensive Slang.
Used as a disparaging term for a lesbian.

:roll:

Minority Observer84

Theism Exorcist
Sep 26, 2006
The Capitol
Why ?
Because they do not conform to your idea of what is normal ?
Gay pride parades are nessesary exactly because of attitudes like yours , Gay's have nothing to apologize for and should not be ashamed of who they are and how they feel , Gay pride is all about confronting your self righteous ideas of what is normal and showing you that they are not ashamed of being different . Plus it makes all the right wingers in this town uncomfortable and that is priceless.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
How does a parade help a homosexual? Education is the answer.

Last edited:
May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
What does that mean????

ok i get
You are saying it in the sense that to see people out having fun celebrating life together is an education tool for the great unwashed ,in this case people that don't understand gay people and being gay.... well yeah....

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
dyke2 (dīk)
also dike
n. Offensive Slang.
Used as a disparaging term for a lesbian.

:roll:

Actually, JBeee, the word "dyke" has an interesting etymology. Queen Boudica (derived from the Celtic word "bouda" meaning "victorious") lived around 60 BC. She led a revolt against the Romans and seriously kicked some butt. You can Google her to find info ... its actually quite interesting. Here's a snippet:

Between AD 61 and AD 63 Boadicea led her Iceni people to a glorious but bloody war against the Romans. The Iceni Celts had submitted their kingdom in East Anglia to the conquering Romans and the rule of Emperor Claudius in AD 43. In AD 61, Prasutagus, Boadicea's husband and King of the Iceni died. A dispute followed during which Boadicea, was publicly beaten by the soldiers of the emperor, and her two daughters raped. The Iceni were insulted and rose in revolt led by their queen Boadicea. So successful was the uprising that the Romans were almost defeated. Unfortunately for the Iceni and their allies, the military skill of the Roman army finally led to the crushing of the rebellion.After the revolt, Roman rule was re-established. For almost two glorious years, Boadicea pillaged the Roman settlements; she remains to this day, the greatest of the heroines of Britain.
From McGill University

So the word "dyke" means a strong, victorious woman. Hardly disparaging! Part of the process of mainstreaming (I believe) is reclaiming the language a people uses for themselves. To me the word has a proud and noble heritage.

What about my questions? I would like to hear your views.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The narrow of mind are seldom deviated from their trains of thought. Parades are pride.

Though not my way, I do believe life is so much kinder when one's heart is there. I am hetero and proud of it. My way isn't the only way. It's so sad to see someone struggle through a life that really isn't their own. Though they aren't in mine any longer, my truest sadness for a couple of ex girlfriends isn't in my loss, but in theirs - of themselves. Their unhappiness in the relationship had nothing to do with me. Both of them tried, but hetero wasn't either of them. Until the day comes when they don't have to fear the taunts and insults of those who know no better, they, and too many like them, will leave many more like me wondering "why?" in their wakes.

Wolf

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
The narrow of mind are seldom deviated from their trains of thought. Parades are pride.

Though not my way, I do believe life is so much kinder when one's heart is there. I am hetero and proud of it. My way isn't the only way. It's so sad to see someone struggle through a life that really isn't their own. Though they aren't in mine any longer, my truest sadness for a couple of ex girlfriends isn't in my loss, but in theirs - of themselves. Their unhappiness in the relationship had nothing to do with me. Both of them tried, but hetero wasn't either of them. Until the day comes when they don't have to fear the taunts and insults of those who know no better, they, and too many like them, will leave many more like me wondering "why?" in their wakes.

Wolf

Ah cheer up lone wolf....just cause yer lousey at it doesn't mean you turned anyone gay....Hell i once tried to get this lesbian in my bed with these real cool tunes i thought would turn her.....Man was i mistaken....
then I figured prancing round in me girly wear would do the trick.....
all she did was steal the dress....naw...it's Playgoat mags for me lone wolf.....people are just to damn fickle