David Suzuki's Rock bus Eco - Tour -Mr .Kyoto himself

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sure. Suzuki and his organization have consistantly smeared Aquaculture. Now in some cases he is right, but when he paints the industry as a whole with the same brush, he ignores the positives and never mentions them. There are farms out west which use a system that is the equivalent of placing a tank in the water. Effluent is controlled, pathogens are killed with UV light, or ozonation. Escapes are as close to 0% as possible. Granted these systems are expensive, so aren't used on a widescale basis, but the public never hears of these systems.

They consistently slam the industry for antibiotic use in the diets, ignoring other industries using much more antibiotics and forget about mentioning the use of beneficial probiotics(like those found in our yogurt). In fact Canadian aquaculture producers are less competitive than the industry in other countries because of our strict requirements for antibiotic use.

Everyone has heard of the imminent collapse of world fisheries unless commercial fishing is stopped, this includes the salmon fleet in the Pacific. Aquaculture provides the means to enhance stocks, but few people know of the Biodiversity facilities DFO runs, with world class genetic breeding programs, maintaining those pedigrees from the various rivers. This is something you would expect Mr. Suzuki to have an opinion on, as it is the field he holds degrees in.

His organization loves to scare us with horror stories of genetic contamination when wild pacific breed with farmed atlantic salmon. Huge difference in the spawning preparation among the atlantic salmon and the various pacific salmons. Pacific salmon migrate hundreds and in some case a thoudsand kilometers up very steep rivers. Anyone seen a river on the Atlantic coast? Rivers are short and the inclination is very small comparatively.

Aquaculture is also beginning to use alternatives, to accomodate the growing industry and the relatively stable or shrinking bait fish catches. The omeg-3 fatty acid is bought by many different industries including pharmaceuticals. The fish meal used as the protein content in the diets is also a limited quantity. We are studying at my school right now the growth of salmonids when fed on heat treated vegetable proteins and oil seeds. After 6 weeks the growth is on par with our control diet, very promissing and we hope to publish a paper with this study.

These and many more are things the Suzuki Foundation will never tell you. As I said there are bad apples out there like any other industry, but it's not fair to skip over the good work being done by many diligent people in the industry.
Excellent work my friend, your working with some of my favourite fish, lol.

This is my problem with people like Suzuki and to some extent Bit. They fail to see the forest for the trees. The hysterics they use to further an agenda, do nothing, but hilite the errors.

After reading and hearing DS outburst and hysterical theatric at am 640 and an elementary school out west. I have very little respect for the man, he's on a political crusade in my eyes and nothing more.

The optics on this magical mystery tour bus, are just more fuel for the fire. There is no reason for his team to have chosen this mode of transportation, when there is a viable alternative.

Then we have people like Bit, that resort to name calling and demands of proof that the their is an affordable alternative. Lets face it, I bet half the manufacturers of Hybrid and Fuel Cell equipt buses, would have donated one, for purely capitalistic reasons alone.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
could he? would it be worth it or is the money better spent offsetting the impact by way of investment? you take a new car off the lot and the resell price plummets. I want to see some numbers out of the loudmouth.

there's nothing inconsistent in what Suzuki's doing. he's has to deal with this problem every time he gets on a plane. he also has to deal with his detractors over it. or not. they're generally not worth the bother since they're just on a fault-finding mission anyways and are bound to find something to make an issue about.

If your gonna talk the the talk you had better be prepared to walk the walk especially when the average Joe trying to feed his kids is guilted into doing the same thing.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
are you now?

name 3, tell me how much Suzuki's tour would have cost and how much GHG it would have cut back on. otherwise quit proving you're a loudmouth.
Prove I'm wrong. Read what I posted in my reply to Tonnington. If you you are unable to refute my claims, then so beit. I won't fault you for your short comings. Your opinion of me or my opinions matters not one iota to me. I just have to look at your hysterics and flaws to feel justified in that.

I love the name calling. Though I have admitted to being a "Fred Flintstone'esque loudmouth", I highly doubt that you mean endearingly, lmao. Your childish behaviour, makes me feel so much more superior to you, keep up the good work.

Oh ya and grow up.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If your gonna talk the the talk you had better be prepared to walk the walk especially when the average Joe trying to feed his kids is guilted into doing the same thing.
EXCELLENT post, good call Avro!!! This is my point exactly. Though I would hold DS to any great standard on airtravel, lest he start using a private jet. This is one of those opportunities he had to shine and show his true colours and he blew it.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Prove I'm wrong. Read what I posted in my reply to Tonnington. If you you are unable to refute my claims, then so beit. I won't fault you for your short comings. Your opinion of me or my opinions matters not one iota to me. I just have to look at your hysterics and flaws to feel justified in that.

I love the name calling. Though I have admitted to being a "Fred Flintstone'esque loudmouth", I highly doubt that you mean endearingly, lmao. Your childish behaviour, makes me feel so much more superior to you, keep up the good work.

Oh ya and grow up.

You made a claim Bear, perhaps you should attempt to back it up if it's remotely true.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
are you now?

name 3, tell me how much Suzuki's tour would have cost and how much GHG it would have cut back on. otherwise quit proving you're a loudmouth.

Okay, by that logic why should I buy a anything that would help the enviroment?

I'm only one guy.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Prove I'm wrong. Read what I posted in my reply to Tonnington. If you you are unable to refute my claims, then so beit...

so you get to say whatever the hell you want and the rest of the world is supposed to prove you wrong?

heh

get counselling.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Okay, by that logic why should I buy a anything that would help the enviroment?...

what logic?

googling eco-friendly buses is a trashpile. bigmouth thinks its so easy, let him do it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
so you get to say whatever the hell you want and the rest of the world is supposed to prove you wrong?

heh

get counselling.
Prove me wrong.

You can't so who is the loudmouth again???

I stand by my claim, he could lease an eco friendly bus, just as easy as he did a regular one.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Really what this boils down to is what goes around comes around. I'm sure the Suzuki foundation has made many peoples $hit lists for their claims such as those I highlighted. It's really a PR thing and I'm surprised that Suzuki's people didn't brainstorm enough. They at least had the sense to make the tour carbon neutral, but in the business Suzuki is in now, his people should have known this might happen. I'm not sure why they wouldn't have used the most eco-friendly transportation available. Like this bus for instance (they even have VIP buses)thegreenbus

Then they still could have funded carbon reducing projects on top of that. They missed out on an opportunity to give a green company some good PR. Really just bad choices when there are better alternatives, which is what the green movement is all about.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
What would my efforts to prevent gloabl warming have any effect on global warming?

I'm just one guy.

I dunno.

but the next time you go on tour I'm sure standing b's research will be priceless.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
you're an idiot. prove me wrong. better yet, stop proving I'm right.

I dunno.

but the next time you go on tour I'm sure standing b's research will be priceless.
This is all you have???

Name calling and racial referrences???

The line to the dear leaders office must be down and your having difficulty getting anything of value to post. Did you ever give much thought to the fact I won't do it, just because it bothers you???

And again I plead with to grow up.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I dunno.

You don't see to many Non native with drivers licenses with "standing b's"="Standing Bear" on them, so you must be referring to my signature and or my Nativeness. In either case, it would be racialy motivated. Seeing as my nic is CDNBear.

But I'm glad to see how low you're willing to sink, when some exposes your biases.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
gah

if my using simply your name is a problem for you then you've got shame issues to deal with as well.

now my advice isn't cheap so put a dollar in your floppy and leave a link so I can pick up my fee.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
gah

if my using simply your name is a problem for you then you've got shame issues to deal with as well.

now my advice isn't cheap so put a dollar in your floppy and leave a link so I can pick up my fee.
That's not my name.

If I put a penny down for your opinions, I would expect change.