Who gives to Charity?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Fascinating piece in today's Globe and Mail by Margaret Wente. The subject of who gives to charilty belies the Conventional Wisdon, and should destroy the image of the oh-so-concerned liberal latte-slurping do-gooder.

First of all, Americans give a LOT more than Canadians. They are much more generous.........twice as generous, in fact. Yep, those nasty Yanks give over twice as much of their income to good causes than do Canadians. (God I love knocking my fellow Canadians off their moral high horse!)

Not only that, but guess WHICH Americans give the most? To quote Wente "The most generous people in North America are the small-town folks who go to church, drive pick-up trucks, are very family-orientated, and probably hate the gun registry. They give away more of their income - by far- than anybody else.............the people that give away the most of all (3.7% of their income) live in Utah."

"..........godless liberals talk the talk, churchgoing conservatives walk the walk. People in the top five Bush states gave three times more of their income to charity than people in the top five Kerry states. Conservatives give away more money and volunteer more time to help the poor."

"..........the Salvation Army (stationed) a bell-ringer in Sioux Falls, south Dakota outside the Wal-Mart. The Sally-Ann put another bell-ringer in San Francisco, just outside Saks. The San Francisco bell-ringer, who encountered twice as many people, collected only half as much money as the one in Sioux Falls"

Now who do you think had more to give? Saks customers, or Wal-Mart customers?

Are you surprized?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I know nothing about this, but maybe the difference between American and Canadian donations has to do with tax law and refund amounts? Or perhaps the disaster in New Orleans? Or maybe we're just much stingier up here:?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Well, I don't know much about American tax law.

But it is the poorer people that give the most, by far.

Your average working guy is NOT looking for a tax loophole.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
When I read an article like this it was only including charitable donations people listed on their taxes. Considering many of us don't do that with our donations, I don't think it's necessarily accurate. But, good for anyone who donates to worthy causes. Considering the religious community of Utah, it doesn't surprise me a bit that they donate a lot.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Colby,are you implying that donating money and time to charity is somehow more beneficial to the poor than neat signs,cool chants and organized protests? The left wing of society raise awareness thereby guilting the right-wing to contribute . It is a symbiotic relationship. All together now ," one,two,three, four, poverty should be no more". I feel better now,don't you?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Colby,are you implying that donating money and time to charity is somehow more beneficial to the poor than neat signs,cool chants and organized protests? The left wing of society raise awareness thereby guilting the right-wing to contribute . It is a symbiotic relationship. All together now ," one,two,three, four, poverty should be no more". I feel better now,don't you?

Much, much better.

Laughter is the best medecine.

:)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Thought it might be interesting to check out Stats Canada. Manitoba has the highest percentage of tax filers who claimed charitable donations at 28.4 % and Nunavut had the highest median value at $400 and Quebec had the lowest median at $120.

For earners, those earning between 60,000 and 99,000 had the highest percentage of charity donaters. When breaking it down by education, the group with a post-secondary diploma were the largest group of contributers. Those aged 35-44 were the largest group of contributers by age.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
SOURCE
CIA World Factbook, 22 August 2006
DEFINITION
The net official development assistance (ODA) from Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) nations to developing countries and multilateral organizations. ODA is defined as financial assistance that is concessional in character, has the main objective to promote economic development and welfare of the less developed countries (LDCs), and contains a grant element of at least 25%. The entry does not cover other official flows (OOF) or private flows." Per capita figures expressed per 1 population.
function showToolTip(id, flag, e) { var div = document.getElementById(id); if (!document.all) { div.style.left = e.pageX; div.style.top = e.pageY+30; } else { op = e.srcElement.offsetParent; div.style.pixelLeft = e.clientX+document.body.scrollLeft; div.style.pixelTop = e.clientY+document.body.scrollTop+30; } div.style.display = flag ? 'block' : 'none'; return true; } Economy Statistics > Economic aid > Donor (per capita) by country

VIEW DATA: Totals Per capita Per $ GDP Definition Source
Printable version
Bar Graph Map Rank Countries Amount (top to bottom) #1 Luxembourg: $496.59 per capita
#2 Denmark: $366.93 per capita
#3 Norway: $303.63 per capita
#4 Netherlands: $242.55 per capita
#5 Sweden: $188.54 per capita
#6 Ireland: $149.43 per capita
#7 Switzerland: $146.20 per capita
#8 United Kingdom: $130.34 per capita
#9 Belgium: $103.29 per capita
#10 France: $88.71 per capita
#11 Austria: $83.12 per capita
#12 Canada: $78.55 per capita
#13 Finland: $72.45 per capita
#14 Japan: $69.82 per capita
#15 Germany: $67.94 per capita
#16 Australia: $44.12 per capita
#17 Spain: $32.92 per capita
#18 Portugal: $25.55 per capita
#19 New Zealand: $24.46 per capita
#20 United States: $23.12 per capita
#21 Italy: $17.20 per capita
#22 Korea, South: $8.67 per capita
#23 Lesotho: $2.18 per capita

Weighted average: $120.27 per capita

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay now, here's where stats can get tricky.

Do those statistics consider one's own church as 'charity'? It is a non profit organization. If the stats do consider it to be so, then of course the right wing church goers would be giving more than the left wing liberal population.

But, it doesn't mean that they give more to solve poverty, or give more to cure aids, or give more to..... the list goes on.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
In Canada, religion definitely gets the lions share of the donations made. Heres Stats Canada's take:

Religious organizations got the highest proportion of total donations in 2004, about 45%, or nearly $4.0 billion. Donors to religious organizations made the largest average donations, about $395. Health organizations were second, receiving more than $1.2 billion, or 14% of the total.

Although religious organizations were given more money than other organizations, other organizations have a wider base of support in the population. Almost 6 out of 10 Canadians (57%) made donations to health organizations, 43% donated to social services organizations, and 38% donated to religious organizations.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
May an American chirp in or is this an exclusive conver? :p

Every month a packet comeis in my mail with a plastic bag.....its for The Vet donations. On full moon I go through the house and if something hasnt been touched or used in a year it goes in the bag. Last month I gave 2 bags full. The statement about the poor give more doesnt surprise me. The know best the pains of poverty.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
#1 Luxembourq----------------------$496.59 per capita

#12 Canada-------------------------$78.55 " "

#22 USA----------------------------$23.12 " "http://www.nationmaster.com

Sorry Beaver, this is comparing apples with oranges. According to your source, only international charities operating in under-developed countries are counted......it does not include monies given to theatre groups, soup kitchens, housing projects for the poor, medical centres, educational institutions, churches.......or any other domestic charity. It is simply not really relevant to the discussion.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Sorry Beaver, this is comparing apples with oranges. According to your source, only international charities operating in under-developed countries are counted......it does not include monies given to theatre groups, soup kitchens, housing projects for the poor, medical centres, educational institutions, churches.......or any other domestic charity. It is simply not really relevant to the discussion.

Then supply us with the numbers, because I'm damn sure Margaret Wente is wrong as usual.
Show me the apples.:wave:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I don't keep track of how much I give till income tax time. I give more than I'm allowed to deduct fersher. Then there is the Sally Ann Santas, I don't count but I stuff a fiver in every one I see. Safeway has a bin for food and a bucket for change that I toss stuff into. But I'm pretty cautious of which charities I give to cuuz some of them keep a large chunk of the take and a small fraction actually gets to where it's sposed to. Some of the head cheeses of those sure make some nice coin. I used to have a list but lost it. Maybe someone could find a newer list. Anyway, I don't think much of comparisons between who gives more.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Something I've always wondered..when I put money into a box at some store, I mean if it's like Tim Hortons or a fast food joint or whatever, does that money count towards the corporations donation for tax purposes?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Something I've always wondered..when I put money into a box at some store, I mean if it's like Tim Hortons or a fast food joint or whatever, does that money count towards the corporations donation for tax purposes?

No it does not, unless of course it's a scam. Revenue Canada classifies tax-exempt organizations as Charities. These Charities seek the cooperation of businesses to solicit money from the public.

Jars, boxes that customers throw in pocket money usually have to be sealed. If they're not, be wary, it may be a scam. Especially if it is for an organization you have never heard of before. Over 99% of businesses are honest about charity collections.

There are businesses, albeit very few that may cheat. It is highly unlikely however businesses will engage in this sort of practice, it will ruin their public image.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The figures come from the book Who Really Cares by Arthur C. Brooks.

I was not at all surprized by the article,I have read elsewhere thaty the Americans are the most generous people on earth, and the poor are more apt to contribute than the wealthy.

Not at all surprized.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The figures come from the book Who Really Cares by Arthur C. Brooks.

I was not at all surprized by the article,I have read elsewhere thaty the Americans are the most generous people on earth, and the poor are more apt to contribute than the wealthy.

Not at all surprized.

The thread that sanctus posted, regarding encouraging people to fast, strikes me as essentially the same issue. If you don't understand what it's like to be hungry, if you don't understand what it's like to be poor, you're more likely to turn blindly the other way when your help is asked. The undrestanding just isn't there it seems, unless you know what it's like to be in that position.