Gun Control is Completely Useless.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
your point is garbled. the chart is not intended for use as a defensive manoevre. it's intended to display what makes sense to me, ie that shooting people ends worse than not shooting people.

I can see a chart like the one you've created...with some editing being something that's akin to the posters I've seen warning potential nastys that the owner is armed never mind the dog...

Just re-arrange the wording and supposing the interloper could read it and realize it's an "in-house" maxim illustrating the thought process behind it.... "If I break in here and there's somone home...someone who's prepared to shoot me protecting their loved ones....maybe I'll check out the empty house across the street... :)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Colpy

What's the scoop on mailing ten round magazines within Canada? Anything wonky with respect to special carrier's or can we use Canada Post?

If I understand correctly, pre-ban mags must be shipped disassembled....??

Give us the skinny Oh Master Armourer

I will certainly do my best, with the following disclaimer:

ANY ADVICE GIVEN IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT!

I think you can mail any legal firearm part (anything EXCEPT the receiver, which is the actual firearm, according to the law) without restriction. That would include legal magazines, meaning 10 rd or less for handgun, 5 rd or less for centre-fire rifle. Just do yourself a favour, and don't tell the posties what is in the parcel: they've been known to express some anti-gun feelings before by trashing merchandise, or simply refusing to handle it.

As for pre-ban magazines, (listen carefully) in Canada, THERE IS NO SUCH THING! All pre-ban magazines have been destroyed, or else have been permanently blocked to the gov't approved number of rounds, or they are prohibited weapons, leaving anyone in possession in dire legal straits.

Now, in BC some time ago there was a legal wrangle over a restricted rifle with 30 round magazines. Those mags were disassembled. The judge, fed up with the prosecution (one would suspect) ruled that the metal body, floorplate and spring were NOT a magazine. (This is from my increasingly foggy memory, BTW, see disclaimer above.)

If you got busted with disassembled 30 round mags, this case would be a precedent to fight on: GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Thanks Colpy

I was reading a buy and sell feature on the Firearms Canada website and saw someone with pre-ban mags telling folk he had to mail them disassembled...since I suppose the logic is that they're not magazines...they're "parts"....

I had a Ruger 10/22 with a thirty round magazine but got rid of it a long time ago. My competition pistol is fully legal with 10 round mags, but it all seems rather silly to me...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Thanks Colpy

I was reading a buy and sell feature on the Firearms Canada website and saw someone with pre-ban mags telling folk he had to mail them disassembled...since I suppose the logic is that they're not magazines...they're "parts"....

I had a Ruger 10/22 with a thirty round magazine but got rid of it a long time ago. My competition pistol is fully legal with 10 round mags, but it all seems rather silly to me...

Yeah.

there is no magazine capacity limit on rimfire rifles.............only handguns and centre fire semi auto rifles.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
controlling firearms will never do anything except make gun control advisors happy.

I don't own a gun..likely never will since I don't hunt..that is unless the bears start going through my garbage :)

However, trying to stop an illegal activity with more laws is a stupid as trying to dry the floor by throwing a pail of water on it.

I have friends and neighbours how have guns, and I will never feel threatened by any of them. Some like the craftmenship, some hunt, some are farmers and need to prtect their livestock. If some moranic 17 yearold inner city kid thinks his respect..(I use that term loosely) had been "dis'd" he will get a gun and restore his honour..as dumb as it is. Less bullet sales, restricted access, barrel size etc etc whatever..will not stop it..or for that matter even slow it..as long as a cheap 100.00 U.S. gun can be bought on a Canadian street for 400 bucks it will happen. Thats quite a good profit, and since we would the gun running 17 year old in jail for 6 months there's not a lot of risk to this huge return...

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
L. Gilbert

The tragedy is that Canadian law has a fairly broad arsenal of legislative powers that are "dumped-away" and plea-bargained away...

Lawyers defending a criminal who's been convicted of firearms related/involved criminality, should be required to talk with the victims families and in some circumstances, re-pay the "Crown" for the expense of their ambulance chasing.

How about, you're convicted of the criminal use of a firearm and you lose the right to drive a car, vote in elections and serve an automatic sentence of five years?

If you're convicted of a firearms ofense (personal injury to another person), for a second time, life....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I got into this stuff again.....surprize, surprize.........and I got looking for the US state with the slackest gun handgun laws.

What do you think?

Texas? Arizona? Montana?

Nope....Vermont.

From the Brady anti-gun site:

LIMITS ON CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITS
May police limit carrying concealed handguns? No

State law allows anyone who can buy a gun to carry it loaded and concealed in public. No police permit or police notification is required to carry loaded guns hidden on a person. No training in gun laws or gun safety is required. Vermont is the only state in the country to have such a lax approach to the carrying of loaded, concealed weapons in public.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=vt

No waiting period either....no magazine capacity limits....no assault weapon bans.......a resident of Vermont? want a handgun and a 30 round capacity semi-auto rifle? Over 21? walk into a gun shop and put your money down. want to carry the handgun concealed? Buy a box of ammo, load'er up, and drop it in your pocket. Perfectly legal.

So Vermont residents shop downtown, wading knee deep in blood and corpses, shouting to drown out the sounds of gunfire......right/

Nope. Vermont is number 46 out of 50 states in the amount of crime, over 33% lower than the national average, and the violent crime rate is a full 67% lower than the national average..........

2006 Crime Rate for Vermont
The crime rate in Vermont is about 33% lower than the national average rate. Property crimes account for around 94.4% of the crime rate in Vermont which is 29% lower than the national rate. The remaining 3.7% are violent crimes and are about 67% lower than other states. The following graph shows how Vermont compared to the rest of the states.
http://www.nicic.org/Features/StateStats/?State=vt

How about murder? Vermont had a 2006 population of 629,000 In 2006, and in 2007 there were 12 murders in Vermont (both years) That is a rate of 1.92 per 100,000.......exactly the same as the Canadian murder rate......

Interesting.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
I only have one thought on this subject- Law abiding citizens have to register-But I didn't see a line up of gang members down at the registry, If it wasn't such a hassle I would probably have a gun in my night stand. One should be allowed to protect themselves without going thru miles of red tape.