COVID-19 'Pandemic'

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Sensible people call it the Chinese virus because... that's what it is.
Sens bile people don't play the blame game........and call it what it is. Covid 19 Pandemic. Anything else is inflammatory.

It is PEOPLE that are responsible for its spread due to resistance in following public health recommendations..........because they think they know better or some other crazy ideas. When political messaging is confusing...... use the advice of scientists and health workers. and stop kvetching.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Sens bile people don't play the blame game........and call it what it is. Covid 19 Pandemic. Anything else is inflammatory.

Idiot...

I WILL play the blame game.

The Chinese flu, as it is accurately called, started in China. China unleashed this virus onto the world and then lied and denied they had anything to do with it.

China lied and people died.

China lied and our economies lie in tatters, which is going to cause more deaths than the Chinese flu.

So don't tell me not to play the game game. China needs to pay for what it has done.

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
It is the Trump virus for sure.
Only people who rape Women call it the "Chinese virus."
Like Trump

I did not know that Trump raped women? What proof do you have of this? Many of Trump's accusers have been found out to be nothing more than a bunch of lairs. They came out to try and steal a few bucks away from Trump. Billy bob Clinton was proven to have raped women in the White House. BVut they liars in the MSM always try to ignore that fact.

So, are you just parroting the lies of the MSM lying bunch of bastards whom are always trying to make Trump look bad and Biden look good? The lying democrats and the lying media have been trying for four years now to tyr and get Trump on something, and so far the score for them in the lying game is Trump 25, the democrats zero. Ha-ha-ha.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
nfection Risk
We estimate you have a 75% chance
of catching COVID-19.
The average is 11.36%
You are in the highest risk band for catching COVID-19
75% is the equivalent of 1 in 1.33 people
or betting odds of 0.33/1.
Mortality Risk
If infected we estimate you have a 1.588% chance
of dying COVID-19.
The average is 0.407%
You are in the highest risk band for dying from COVID-19
1.588% is the equivalent of 1 in 62.97 people
or betting odds of 61.97/1.
Common Infection Risk Questions
How do the risk bands work?
The risk bands are a representation of where your risk sits in our dataset. If you are in the "highest" risk band, then you are in the highest 7.5% of our dataset. For more information, please refer to the research section of the website.
How do the risk bands work?
The spread of the virus is exponential. Self-isolation will slow the exponential growth but not stop it. Viruses reach a natural barrier when a high enough percentage of the population has immunity. Assuming no vaccine is discovered, immunity will be achieved through individuals surviving an infection. This is called herd immunity. The exact number is unknown, but the British Government believes this figure to be around 60%.
What can I do to reduce my risk?
The current advice is reducing social contact and washing your hands. Please follow your government's directions as this may change.
Common Mortality Risk Questions
Why is the average so high?
We are using the "mean" average which is approximately six times higher than the "median" average. This is because the mortality risk figures fit a Pearson distribution. A Pearson distribution differs from a standard distribution in that one side of the curve will be larger than the other.
What can I do to reduce my risk?
Healthy lifestyle changes may make a small difference, but at this stage, there is no proven way to decrease your mortality risk once infected. The only advice we can give you is to focus on reducing your risk of being infected in the first place.
Data saves lives
Please share on social media
We Need Your Help
We are using Artificial Intelligence to unpack the factors that affect COVID-19. This is expensive in both human and IT resources. Please support this project by donating and sharing on social media. Your support will save lives.
Survival Probability
Infection Risk75%
Mortality Risk If Infected1.588%
Survival Probability98.809%
Research Dataset
We have made the raw data available for download. The more people analyzing and working with this dataset, the more likely we are to discover something that will save lives.
The issue of course is that I've already survived a mild case
I hear ya. It's in the books.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

6 Months 🇬🇧 Time To Admit Defeat 😐

It’s game over for the U.K.

All hope for normality and Christmas is over.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ331dGRs74&t=6s

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We need to take back control from the government

Covid authoritarianism is out of control. It’s time the people pushed back.

BRENDAN O'NEILL
EDITOR
22nd September 2020
Spiked

We can’t go on like this. We cannot continue to allow the government to control every aspect of our lives. We cannot idly accept that the state has the right to introduce rules and regulations that dictate everything from how long we can stay in the pub to who we can invite to our weddings. We cannot sit back and watch as government scientists use jumped-up, fact-lite graphs of fear to try to terrify and pacify the populace and prep us for yet another onslaught on our liberties. We cannot just watch and nod as officials shut down more areas of the economy, with a stroke of their pen, plunging Britain further into the worst recession on record. This is not sustainable. Something has to give, something has to break. The only important question right now is this: how can we make sure that happens?

Today, Boris Johnson announced a new round of restrictions on our lives and liberties. Pubs and restaurants across the land will have to close at 10pm. Cops and Covid marshalls will patrol pubs and levy fines against any establishment that dares to serve a pint at a minute past 10. More workers, including bar staff and shop workers, will be compelled to wear masks. Fines for failing to wear a mask or follow other Covid rules will be raised to £200. Anyone planning a wedding for 30 people will need to rethink – the government has decreed that no more than 15 people may celebrate your nuptials. The irrational ‘Rule of Six’ – why not a rule of five? Or seven? Or 12? – has been extended to include indoor sports. And people are once again being told to work from home, having just a few weeks ago been told to get back to the office. And all of this new authoritarianism could last for six months. Six months.

Just like that, the government has ruled that for six months you cannot have a proper piss-up, cannot have a medium-sized wedding, cannot go anywhere without masking up first, cannot play a five-a-side football match indoors. And, naturally, this is all being done in the name of protecting the NHS from a potential catastrophic hike in Covid cases, which is also the justification for the numerous other unprecedented restrictions on our liberties outlined in the Coronavirus Act and recent ministerial decrees. It feels like Groundhog Day. This stopping and starting and stopping again of everyday life is incredibly disorientating and destructive. It leads to a kind of permanent limbo, with people’s lives and plans held in suspension. It robs us of our agency, of our ability to plot our own destinies, of our capacity to be free, meaningful citizens. It reduces us to passive creatures whose only role is to follow rules. The government is demoralising the public to an extraordinary degree.

The knock-on effect of the new rules, combined with the already existing rules, will be devastating. Nightlife has essentially been cancelled. Some of the hospitality industry simply will not survive this six-month decree that they cannot stay open past 10. The work-at-home guidelines will once again hit offices and the myriad food and drink outlets in town and city centres that rely on the footfall of the workforce. Economic recovery will be put off. High streets will wither. And there will be health impacts, too. We know that during the original lockdown the almost religious cry of ‘Protect the NHS!’ led to numerous people avoiding health services even when they were very ill – causing a rise in deaths by stroke and heart attack at home – and to essential cancer services and other treatments being put on hold. Suspending normal life as a kind of offering to the god of Covid that it might not smite us so harshly is not only irrational and illiberal – it is dangerous. To obsess over a virus that was not even in the Top 20 causes of death in England in August is bad for our health.

And what is the evidence for these latest restrictions that will blight our social and personal lives for up to six months? Essentially a graph unveiled by Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance, the chief medical and scientific officers respectively, at an address to the nation yesterday. This struck many of us as one of the most cynical political deployments of expertise of recent times. There were no questions from journalists, far less from the public; just two authoritative voices holding up a terrifying looking graph in a fairly transparent effort to weaken public resolve ahead of what has been announced today – the new restrictions. That the graph was based, like so much of the scientific advice of late, on modelling, and on worst-case scenario modelling at that, confirmed that our leaders are now driven by dread and panic rather than by reason. They seem to have no desire to preserve the freedom and productivity of daily life (alongside making very targeted efforts to protect vulnerable groups from Covid, of course).

Probably the worst thing about Boris Johnson’s unveiling of the new restrictions today was the threats he issued alongside them. The government ‘reserves the right’, he said, ‘to deploy greater firepower, with significantly greater restrictions’. The government is threatening the public. It is infantilising us, treating us as wayward children in need of ever-stiffer reprimands. Scottish first minister Nicola Sturgeon, an even more natural authoritarian than Johnson, has today decreed that Scots may no longer mix with people from other households. Is this next for England – a six-month ban on visiting family and friends? These outrages cannot continue. They are inhuman and unworkable. The current threat level of Covid does not justify them, and a properly free, liberal society should not tolerate them.

Here is what is so toxic about Johnson’s threat to unleash even more authoritarianism on the public. It sends the message that we are no longer in control of our lives. Individuals and communities can no longer think and decide for themselves. Instead our job is merely to nod along to officialdom’s fear-fuelled diktats. They are asking us to sacrifice our autonomy and even our citizenry to the end of doing something that is ridiculous, if not impossible: hiding away forever from a virus. Enough. This madness cannot continue. The opposition, the media elites, human-rights groups, civic society and even the radical left have proven themselves utterly incapable of challenging the government’s suspension of freedom, rationalism and community life, and so it falls to us, the people, to do something.

We need a collective, democratic pushback against officialdom’s relentless demoralisation of the public, and a loud assertion of our right to take risks and to carry on living as we see fit. Post-10pm speakeasies, large weddings, visits to loved ones, big public gatherings and protests… these are the civic-minded acts we need right now.

Brendan O’Neill is editor of spiked and host of the spiked podcast, The Brendan O’Neill Show. Subscribe to the podcast here. And find Brendan on Instagram: @burntoakboy

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/09/22/we-need-to-take-back-control-from-the-government/

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We need to take back control from the government

Covid authoritarianism is out of control. It’s time the people pushed back.

BRENDAN O'NEILL
EDITOR
22nd September 2020
Spiked

We can’t go on like this. We cannot continue to allow the government to control every aspect of our lives. We cannot idly accept that the state has the right to introduce rules and regulations that dictate everything from how long we can stay in the pub to who we can invite to our weddings. We cannot sit back and watch as government scientists use jumped-up, fact-lite graphs of fear to try to terrify and pacify the populace and prep us for yet another onslaught on our liberties. We cannot just watch and nod as officials shut down more areas of the economy, with a stroke of their pen, plunging Britain further into the worst recession on record. This is not sustainable. Something has to give, something has to break. The only important question right now is this: how can we make sure that happens?

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/09/22/we-need-to-take-back-control-from-the-government/

I'm betting if all members of society started acting responsibly that shit wouldn't happen. I can't speak for Old Blighty, but I see a lot of people in the area where I live who don't give a shit for anyone but themselves. Someone has to protect the average law abiding citizen. :)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm betting if all members of society started acting responsibly that shit wouldn't happen. I can't speak for Old Blighty, but I see a lot of people in the area where I live who don't give a shit for anyone but themselves. Someone has to protect the average law abiding citizen. :)

I hate to disappoint you, but the longer this needless nonsense continues the less likely it is you are going to see people "acting responsibly".

It's the government that needs to start acting responsibly, not the people.

And this is the same government which one minute tells us to go back to the office, then complains when we go back to the office.

This is the same government which reopened pubs, then complained when we went to the pub.

The government needs to start acting responsibly by not implementing totalitarian 1984-style measures over a poxy cold that isn't even in the Top 20 killers in the UK. It'd also be helpful if you and your ilk started to think logically and displayed a bit of commonsense.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
People have grown casual about the guidelines here too. Hardly a mask in site..........and distancing is not being respected either. The numbers are going up. All one can do is wear the mask and keep distant from these irresponsible ones. Of course there is pandemic fatigue.......but that will only gt worse the more prolonged this is.

Maybe , just maybe people like that NEED to live under an authoritarian regime........ as then they would have no choice but to follow instructions and get rid of the pandemic. they are not responsible enough to handle true democracy and differentiate that from a health care hazard.

Maybe they are refusing to comply in order to show their support for Trump.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I hate to disappoint you, but the longer this needless nonsense continues the less likely it is you are going to see people "acting responsibly".

It's the government that needs to start acting responsibly, not the people.

And this is the same government which one minute tells us to go back to the office, then complains when we go back to the office.

This is the same government which reopened pubs, then complained when we went to the pub.

The government needs to start acting responsibly by not implementing totalitarian 1984-style measures over a poxy cold that isn't even in the Top 20 killers in the UK. It'd also be helpful if you and your ilk started to think logically and displayed a bit of commonsense.
WHAT is YOUR answer (solution ) to handling a viral pandemic??

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
People have grown casual about the guidelines here too. Hardly a mask in site..........and distancing is not being respected either. The numbers are going up. All one can do is wear the mask and keep distant from these irresponsible ones. Of course there is pandemic fatigue.......but that will only gt worse the more prolonged this is.
Maybe , just maybe people like that NEED to live under an authoritarian regime........ as then they would have no choice but to follow instructions and get rid of the pandemic. they are not responsible enough to handle true democracy and differentiate that from a health care hazard.
Maybe they are refusing to comply in order to show their support for Trump.

Here you go, Mr Breeze. As you and a few others on here are incapable of displaying logical thinking, commonsense and just speaking the truth, I'll do it for you:

TRUE TOLL Flu and pneumonia killed TEN TIMES as many Brits as Covid last week, stats reveal

The ONS states that 12.6 per cent of deaths were caused by flu and pneumonia, against 1.1 per cent that were caused by Covid-19.

Experts have now warned that while there has been an increase in coronavirus cases, other conditions are also rife in the UK.

Data from the ONS also states that deaths from Covid-19 have decreased.

It stated: "The number of death registrations in England and Wales involving Covid-19 decreased by 37 deaths from 138 in Week 34 to 101 in Week 35, the lowest number of Covid-19 deaths registered since Week 11 (week ending 13 March) - the first week Covid-19 deaths were registered (five deaths).

"Of all deaths registered in Week 35, 1.1 per cent mentioned Covid-19, down from 1.4 per cent in Week 34."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...a-killed-ten-times-brits-covid-last-week/amp/

And yet, despite this, the government is putting us into lockdown because of Covid. And some people are so incredibly stupid that they actually AGREE with it!

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Here you go, Mr Breeze. As you and a few others on here are incapable of displaying logical thinking, commonsense and just speaking the truth, I'll do it for you:

TRUE TOLL Flu and pneumonia killed TEN TIMES as many Brits as Covid last week, stats reveal

The ONS states that 12.6 per cent of deaths were caused by flu and pneumonia, against 1.1 per cent that were caused by Covid-19.

Experts have now warned that while there has been an increase in coronavirus cases, other conditions are also rife in the UK.

Data from the ONS also states that deaths from Covid-19 have decreased.

It stated: "The number of death registrations in England and Wales involving Covid-19 decreased by 37 deaths from 138 in Week 34 to 101 in Week 35, the lowest number of Covid-19 deaths registered since Week 11 (week ending 13 March) - the first week Covid-19 deaths were registered (five deaths).

"Of all deaths registered in Week 35, 1.1 per cent mentioned Covid-19, down from 1.4 per cent in Week 34."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...a-killed-ten-times-brits-covid-last-week/amp/

And yet, despite this, the government is putting us into lockdown because of Covid. And some people are so incredibly stupid that they actually AGREE with it!
Why don't you present your case to the government.??