Breaking : Cdn news

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
nothing to do with "snowflakes"......and everything to do with rapid societal changes.the dust is far from settled and no one can predict how it will evolve

That's the thing about 'movements', OB they behave much like pendulums - they both eventually reach their point of maximum displacement, at which time the pendulum reverses course and the 'movements' lose momentum as history has shown us down through the ages.

Most folks don't take kindly to a constant diet of self-righteous preaching, finger pointing, unsustainable demands and continuous lists of grievances. Under those circumstances tolerance, understanding and compassion are sorely tested.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

I don't agree with the tariffs if the total tonnes in dispute are on average of what we usually deliver. However while mining industries were shut down across North America over the pandemic Canada never stopped processing Aluminum. Stock piled it in US warehouses waiting for industry to restart giving the Canadian Aluminum producers an advantage in selling their product. I understand the complaint and hopefully cooler heads prevail and this is short term.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Canada to retaliate 'dollar for dollar' after U.S. slaps 10% tariff on aluminum

A subset of American metals companies have complained that Canadian aluminum has recently been dumped on the U.S. market.

Canadian aluminum-makers have said they switched production during the COVID-19 pandemic as demand for higher-end products crashed, and the resulting aluminum has been sent to the U.S. primarily for storage.

The Aluminum Association of Canada (AAC) said last week those exports fell 16 per cent in June and 40 per cent in July as the system was starting to rebalance.

AAC president Jean Simard said U.S. tariffs will destabilize Canada's industry and supply chains in an economy that is already struggling under the weight of the pandemic.

Sorry there is a perception of Canada being in the wronge on this issue

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
If the CBC is on the attack must mean Trudie ain't happy and a change maybe in the works

Trudeau government refuses to support Gov. Gen. Julie Payette while under scrutiny

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland drew a sharp distinction between her support for the office of the Governor General and its current occupant, Julie Payette, in the wake of reporting by CBC News showing unusual spending to meet Payette's demands for privacy.

Payette is also under fire over claims she's created a toxic work environment and a culture of fear at Rideau Hall. Seventeen sources told CBC News Payette and her second-in-command have verbally harassed workers to the point where waves of staff have left the office.

Asked twice on Friday by CBC's Tom Parry if her government had confidence in Payette, Freeland offered support for her office and the constitutional role it plays, but pointedly did not express explicit confidence in Payette.

"I think Canadians have a great respect for the office of the Governor General and I have that respect as well," said Freeland.

"But for this Governor General?" asked Parry.

Freeland responded: "The office of the Governor General plays a very important role in that system. And, I think like the overwhelming majority of Canadians, I have a great deal of respect for that office and for that role."

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau selected Payette — a former astronaut, computer engineer, pilot, academic, musician and executive — to take on the viceregal role as the Queen's representative in Canada in October 2017. The selection has been fraught with controversy from the beginning, and Trudeau has been notably silent in offering any defence of her.

The National Post and Radio Canada also reported Payette's time at the Montreal Science Centre foreshadowed the issues to come at Rideau Hall raising questions about the Trudeau government's vetting process.

Trudeau has only said publicly his government is committed to ensuring federally regulated workplaces are harassment free. The Privy Council Office also launched an external, independent investigation last month into the workplace environment following CBC's report on the alleged harassment.

Although Payette's role is mostly ceremonial, it can be important during a minority government. Payette is bound by constitutional convention to follow the advice of the prime minister if the PM requests a dissolution or prorogation of Parliament, but she is empowered to dismiss a government that has been defeated on a vote of confidence if it refuses to step aside......More

Freeland urges restraint with expenses following Rideau Hall renovations

OTTAWA — Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland says public office holders should be mindful of how they spend taxpayer dollars, following a report on Rideau Hall renovations.

The CBC reported Thursday that hundreds of thousands of dollars have been spent on designs and renovations to the official residence of Gov. Gen. Julie Payette, some allegedly at her personal request, for privacy, accessibility and security reasons.

Freeland would not say whether she believes the expenditures were appropriate, but she did say she thinks questions about the Rideau Hall expenses are legitimate.

"Canadian journalists and Canadians absolutely have the right to look carefully about how we spend Canadians' money," she told reporters Friday in Toronto.

"I do think that all of us who have the privilege of serving Canadians have to really be mindful that when we spend money, we are spending the money of Canadians and we have to be very, very thoughtful about that, very careful about that."

The Office of the Secretary to the Governor General was unavailable for comment Friday.

Freeland expressed respect for the office and constitutional role of the Governor General, without directly answering a question about her confidence in Payette.

"I think Canadians understand and appreciate the way our system of government, our constitutional system works," she said.

"The office of the Governor General plays a very important role in that system and I think, like the overwhelming majority of Canadians, I have a great deal of respect for that office and for that role."........More

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
By who? Trump and his band of Jack asses?

Canadian Aluminum companies didn't stop production due to the pandemic, and were actually hauling their products across the border and warehousing them for when the market comes back. The perception of Canadian companies trying to take advantage of the circumstances can be seen by all.

Like I posted earlier that once the dispute is investigated, and if the amount of Canadian Aluminum housed in the states during the shutdown are of no significant amount then the Tariffs are wrong, Trump or no Trump.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Canadian Aluminum companies didn't stop production due to the pandemic, and were actually hauling their products across the border and warehousing them for when the market comes back. The perception of Canadian companies trying to take advantage of the circumstances can be seen by all.
Like I posted earlier that once the dispute is investigated, and if the amount of Canadian Aluminum housed in the states during the shutdown are of no significant amount then the Tariffs are wrong, Trump or no Trump.

Are we "dumping", as in selling below market value.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
"I think Canadians have a great respect for the office of the Governor General and I have that respect as well," said Freeland.

That woman is always wrong. The GG is a total waste of tax $$$$$

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Are we "dumping", as in selling below market value.

Dunno that's why I reserved judgement until an investigation is completed, common sense says that a large amount of metal stockpiled waiting for industry to restart could reasonably conclude there would be a discount deal to be made.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Dunno that's why I reserved judgement until an investigation is completed, common sense says that a large amount of metal stockpiled waiting for industry to restart could reasonably conclude there would be a discount deal to be made.

So, you believe its ok for the americans to impose, what can only be described as crippling, tariffs on a Canadian industry with no proof.

Got it.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So, you believe its ok for the americans to impose, what can only be described as crippling, tariffs on a Canadian industry with no proof.

Got it.
They can do as they wish and we can retaliate in kind .

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I don't agree with the tariffs if the total tonnes in dispute are on average of what we usually deliver. However while mining industries were shut down across North America over the pandemic Canada never stopped processing Aluminum. Stock piled it in US warehouses waiting for industry to restart giving the Canadian Aluminum producers an advantage in selling their product. I understand the complaint and hopefully cooler heads prevail and this is short term.
Got it.

I said the perception of taking advantage of the situation is there.

Twisting my words to fit your argument

got it.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I said the perception of taking advantage of the situation is there.
Twisting my words to fit your argument
got it.

By your statement that you understand the complaint, and that you'll "wait for the ivestigation" makes it very clear that you believe the american side over the canadian side. It's very clear where your allegiance lies.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
By your statement that you understand the complaint, and that you'll "wait for the ivestigation" makes it very clear that you believe the american side over the canadian side. It's very clear where your allegiance lies.
Wow I took Twin Moose’s comment as innocuous at best . You tend to read a lot that isn’t there.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I will back you up on this. I interpreted it as Canada being in the wrong too. Perhaps just a poor choice of wording?

I have faith that all true Canadians would obviously side with Canada on this trade dispute.
Why ? My tribe is better then your tribe ? Or should wrong be right ?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I will back you up on this. I interpreted it as Canada being in the wrong too. Perhaps just a poor choice of wording?
I have faith that all true Canadians would obviously side with Canada on this trade dispute.

Was it Canadian aluminum or were we warehousing (dumping) Chinese aluminum again? Like I said I'm against the tariffs and an investigation could be carried out without them. The perception is there that Canadian companies were trying to take advantage of the pandemic, if quantities or pricing is on average of past years then no harm no foul.

I would be just as skeptical if an American company was stockpiling resources in Canada while our own industry was down for some reason beyond their control.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek