POTUS (Donald) many legal issues cornering him

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, I would just think that once you've disclosed your income to the revenue authority, it's no one else's business! In my mind it's not hard at all.
I'm telling you what the law is in the United States.

You'll find that people under investigation for crimes don't generally get a lot of respect for their privacy. Looking into the financial records (not just tax records) of someone suspected of financial crimes is like looking into the car-trunk of somebody suspected of running drugs.

The revenooers don't focus on financial crime, they focus on tax compliance. In the U.S., they are not trained on financial laws, they are trained on tax law. They also have no jurisdiction over financial crimes, so long as the taxes are paid.

The New York Federal and state prosecutors are the best, most experienced, investigators and prosecutors of financial crimes in the country (not surprising, New York City is the financial hub of the U.S.).

The general rule is "if a prosecutor can convince the judge that there is probable cause to think the financial records will contain evidence of crime, the judge will issue an order to turn over the financial records." Not really any different from issuing a search warrant for drugs.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

You'll find that people under investigation for crimes don't generally get a lot of respect for their privacy. Looking into the financial records (not just tax records) of someone suspected of financial crimes is like looking into the car-trunk of somebody suspected of running drugs.

The revenooers don't focus on financial crime, they focus on tax compliance. In the U.S., they are not trained on financial laws, they are trained on tax law. They also have no jurisdiction over financial crimes, so long as the taxes are paid.

The New York Federal and state prosecutors are the best, most experienced, investigators and prosecutors of financial crimes in the country (not surprising, New York City is the financial hub of the U.S.).

The general rule is "if a prosecutor can convince the judge that there is probable cause to think the financial records will contain evidence of crime, the judge will issue an order to turn over the financial records." Not really any different from issuing a search warrant for drugs.
Thanks for the information. I should have and probably could have figured that out for myself. Perhaps Mr. Trump's indiscretions aren't limited to failure to pay income tax. :)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Trump And His Kids Could Go To Prison As DA Confirms Criminal Bank Fraud Investigation

Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance is investigating President Donald Trump, his company, and his kids for bank and insurance fraud.
The New York Times reported:
The Manhattan district attorney’s office suggested on Monday that it has been investigating President Trump and his company for possible bank and insurance fraud, a significantly broader inquiry than the prosecutors have acknowledged in the past.
Advertisements

The office of the district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., made the disclosure in a new federal court filing arguing Mr. Trump’s accountants should have to comply with its subpoena seeking eight years of his personal and corporate tax returns. Mr. Trump has asked a judge to declare the subpoena invalid.
The prosecutors did not directly identify the focus of their inquiry but said that “undisputed” news reports last year about Mr. Trump’s business practices make it clear that the office had a legal basis for the subpoena.

More: https://www.politicususa.com/2020/08/03/trump-bank-insurance-fraud.html

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Trump And His Kids Could Go To Prison As DA Confirms Criminal Bank Fraud Investigation

Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance is investigating President Donald Trump, his company, and his kids for bank and insurance fraud.
The Manhattan district attorney’s office suggested on Monday that it has been investigating President Trump and his company for possible bank and insurance fraud, a significantly broader inquiry than the prosecutors have acknowledged in the past.
Advertisements

The office of the district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., made the disclosure in a new federal court filing arguing Mr. Trump’s accountants should have to comply with its subpoena seeking eight years of his personal and corporate tax returns. Mr. Trump has asked a judge to declare the subpoena invalid.
The prosecutors did not directly identify the focus of their inquiry but said that “undisputed” news reports last year about Mr. Trump’s business practices make it clear that the office had a legal basis for the subpoena.

Will never happen Cliffy. You can bet his lawyers scrutinize every move involving a dollar or more!

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Neil Young Sues To Stop Trump Campaign From Using His Songs

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/04/8990...utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=nprtopicspolitics

Young's suit will serve as something of a test case for the copyright infringement argument, though his complaint also states that he "in good conscience cannot allow his music to be used as a 'theme song' for a divisive, un-American campaign of ignorance and hate." Along with barring the Trump campaign from using his music, Young is asking for statutory damages.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Will never happen Cliffy. You can bet his lawyers scrutinize every move involving a dollar or more!
Too bad they didn't scrutinize the dollar he slipped into Stormy Daniels's garter.

Oh, right, one of his lawyers did. And backed it up with 130,000 of its close, personal friends.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Trump is one of those guys who has many lawyers and each of them knows a little bit about his business.

Fortunately for New York state they got to talk to his accountant.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Trump is one of those guys who has many lawyers and each of them knows a little bit about his business.
Fortunately for New York state they got to talk to his accountant.
All these cats with holey jeans
Dirty hair and titty rings
Say, "What's your scene man? We got these questions
Is it true that you have sold your soul?"
I say "Hey man, I don't know
Let me go and ask my accountant"

-- Cracker

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Advertisements
Fake Prog news.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

What a load of malarkey .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Thanks for the information. I should have and probably could have figured that out for myself. Perhaps Mr. Trump's indiscretions aren't limited to failure to pay income tax. :)
There's actually a line on our tax forms where you're required to report "Income illegally obtained." The Revenue don't give two hoots what you did to get it, as long as you report it and pay tax.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
There's actually a line on our tax forms where you're required to report "Income illegally obtained." The Revenue don't give two hoots what you did to get it, as long as you report it and pay tax.
So what do you do when you fill out your return, do you lie or do you pay the tax?