Joe Biden

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Manage Russia ? Does that mean more defensive troops propping up Europe ?
It means managing Russia. Countering Russia's moves to increase its dominance throughout the world. There are a variety of tools, diplomatic, commercial, economic, military, and cyber/info for this.

As far as the "defensive troops propping up Europe," turns out Germany is also way better'n Arizona as a staging base for the Middle East.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
It means managing Russia. Countering Russia's moves to increase its dominance throughout the world. There are a variety of tools, diplomatic, commercial, economic, military, and cyber/info for this.

As far as the "defensive troops propping up Europe," turns out Germany is also way better'n Arizona as a staging base for the Middle East.
Should Russia not have access to commercial and industrial markets ? Europe has no problem importing natural gas and petroleum products from them , among other things .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Should Russia not have access to commercial and industrial markets ? Europe has no problem importing natural gas and petroleum products from them , among other things .
I'm not sure I understand where that question is coming from but yes, of course, Russia should have access to markets, under the same rules as everybody else.

Ohhhh, I see! This is another one of your false dichotomies, like "the only choices are burning cities or Federal goon squads violating the Bill of Rights!" This one is "the only choices are to let Russia do whatever the hell it wants in complete disregard for fairness or the rules and laws, or you're unfairly choking trade and being mean to that nice Mr. Putin!"

Just wondered, do you believe these false dichotomies, or do you just find them an effective debating tactic?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I'm not sure I understand where that question is coming from but yes, of course, Russia should have access to markets, under the same rules as everybody else.

Ohhhh, I see! This is another one of your false dichotomies, like "the only choices are burning cities or Federal goon squads violating the Bill of Rights!" This one is "the only choices are to let Russia do whatever the hell it wants in complete disregard for fairness or the rules and laws, or you're unfairly choking trade and being mean to that nice Mr. Putin!"

Just wondered, do you believe these false dichotomies, or do you just find them an effective debating tactic?
None of the above . Trade between Russia and America is not that large of a number . Why is it the Americans People’s ( government , military . ) responsibility to police Russia ?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

How by threatening to get Hunter onto an energy board in Russia? Or promise them more Uranium reserves from USA and Canada if they comply?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
None of the above . Trade between Russia and America is not that large of a number . Why is it the Americans People’s ( government , military . ) responsibility to police Russia ?
Because it's a responsibility we took on. In my opinion, we should continue.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Since you choose to deal in fairy tales, I'd go with a Patronus charm.

And what did that crew do the first time around?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
And what did that crew do the first time around?
Democrats? Let's see. . .

Backed the Russians down in the Berlin Airlift.

Backed the Russians down in the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Consistent with winning World War I and World War II.

But Reagan gave a nice speech.

Consistent with the Republican habit of cutting and running in Korea and Vietnam.

So it's actually not surprising that Trump and his supporters, both American and Canadian, are tough-talking cowards. It's consistent with the party's record.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Consistent with the Republican habit of cutting and running in Korea and Vietnam.

So it's actually not surprising that Trump and his supporters, both American and Canadian, are tough-talking cowards. It's consistent with the party's record.
Wow tell it like it is .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Wow tell it like it is .
It is, of course, the very height of silliness to attribute such major historical events and trends to one party or the other, and even moreso to what party the President belongs to, without reference to majorities in the two chambers of Congress.

But Moosie chose to see it that way, so I played along.

I don't get a chance to say this often enough, so allow me to repeat: Possibly the most incredible, and certainly the most cost-effective global geo-politico-diplomatic coup in history was accomplished by a milk-drinking, Mormon, U.S. Air Force lieutenant with a dozen candy bars and some parachutes made out of handkerchiefs.

Anecdote from Andrei Cherny's great book The Candy Bombers. . .

When Halvorsen, now a colonel, went back to West Berlin in 1970 as commander of the U.S. Air Force in West Berlin, they set him up for a "dinner with the locals" event in the home of a local family. After dinner and chat, when they got down to coffee (milk for Halvorsen), the mother of the family went into the kitchen, the father dimmed the lights, and the mother returned with a silver tray, upon which, surrounded by candles, was the chocolate bar the Candy Bombers had dropped on their house in 1948.

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
It is, of course, the very height of silliness to attribute such major historical events and trends to one party or the other, and even moreso to what party the President belongs to, without reference to majorities in the two chambers of Congress.

But Moosie chose to see it that way, so I played along.

I don't get a chance to say this often enough, so allow me to repeat: Possibly the most incredible, and certainly the most cost-effective global geo-politico-diplomatic coup in history was accomplished by a milk-drinking, Mormon, U.S. Air Force lieutenant with a dozen candy bars and some parachutes made out of handkerchiefs.

Anecdote from Andrei Cherny's great book The Candy Bombers. . .

When Halvorsen, now a colonel, went back to West Berlin in 1970 as commander of the U.S. Air Force in West Berlin, they set him up for a "dinner with the locals" event in the home of a local family. After dinner and chat, when they got down to coffee (milk for Halvorsen), the mother of the family went into the kitchen, the father dimmed the lights, and the mother returned with a silver tray, upon which, surrounded by candles, was the chocolate bar the Candy Bombers had dropped on their house in 1948.
Never heard that story before .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Never heard that story before .
The Candy Bombers, in addition to being a great story, is probably the best-written, best-contextualized history I've ever read. Cherny spends 200 pages reconstructing the Allied attitude toward Germany post-WWII, and details the moves and counter-moves of the Cold War exquisitely, before Halvorsen drops his first candy-bar parachute.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

So that crew (last administration) did nothing, good to know

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So that crew (last administration) did nothing, good to know
Didn't finish anything, but didn't run away, like your Dear Leader did. In the very best traditions of Republican cowards.

What do you expect from Captain Bonespurs? Like his supporters, he's been a loudmouth coward all his life.