What's Everyone Reading?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Past Tense, the 24th book in the Jack Reacher series written by Lee Child.

NZDoug

Council Member
Jul 18, 2017
Big Bay, Awhitu, New Zealand
Started reading Future Shock again. Read it quite a few years ago. It explains this forum quite nicely
Me too.
Now,
Number one international bestseller
“SAPIENS”
A brief history of humankind
by
Yuval Noah Harari
 from the back cover,
Fire gave us power.
Gossip helped us cooperate.
Agriculture need is hungry for more.
Mythology maintained law and order.
Money gave us something we can really trust.
Contradictions created culture.
Science made us deadly.
This is a thrilling account of our extraordinary history-from insignificant apes to rulers of the world.
So I’m half way.
Tbones, its “Future Shocky”
Ocean breeze,
It’s up your alley
��
I would recommend this book to anyone interested in a fun, engaging look at early human history..... you’ll have a hard time putting it down-Bill Gates
Interesting and provocative...
It gives you a sense of perspective on how briefly we been on this earth, how short things like agriculture and science have been around, and why it makes sense for us not to take them for granted.
Barack Obama.

Roberthew

Jul 21, 2020
Paper Writing A Procrastinator's Guide

Hey! I am Mikky and this question and in fact this thread confused me. Mainly because I have come to be thoughtful in regards to the tasks I received every day at university. In most cases, I don?t have any complications with completing them, but it might possibly take also substantially time for you to finalize any of them. One example is, a long-long thesis or dissertation may well take for two or 3 months to complete and it doesn?t mean that if I have this activity I don?t have any tiny ones which have o be performed too. Genuinely, it is actually time-consuming? However, I?ve identified a way out of such major numbers of assignments! This site is definitely the perfect way to keep your nerves and time! What you'll need to accomplish is only to ask any one on this internet site for help with any forms of academic paper, place the deadline and that?s all. Your order will be accomplished speedily and possess a high-quality level. Don?t hesitate to attempt and you?d be thankful, assured! who can write my essay

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Re: Paper Writing A Procrastinator's Guide

Hey! I am Mikky and this question and in fact this thread confused me. Mainly because I have come to be thoughtful in regards to the tasks I received every day at university. In most cases, I don?t have any complications with completing them, but it might possibly take also substantially time for you to finalize any of them. One example is, a long-long thesis or dissertation may well take for two or 3 months to complete and it doesn?t mean that if I have this activity I don?t have any tiny ones which have o be performed too. Genuinely, it is actually time-consuming? However, I?ve identified a way out of such major numbers of assignments! This site is definitely the perfect way to keep your nerves and time! What you'll need to accomplish is only to ask any one on this internet site for help with any forms of academic paper, place the deadline and that?s all. Your order will be accomplished speedily and possess a high-quality level. Don?t hesitate to attempt and you?d be thankful, assured! who can write my essay
Phuk off.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

One of the best written and documented books by an FN that I have read. Mr Helin has concrete ideas on how FNs can get off the government tit and actually improve their lives.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

One of the best written and documented books by an FN that I have read. Mr Helin has concrete ideas on how FNs can get off the government tit and actually improve their lives.

Which brings to mind Clarence Louie, chief of the Osoyoos Reserve.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Which brings to mind Clarence Louie, chief of the Osoyoos Reserve.

From what I have read about Chief Louie, JLM - he espouses much of the same thinking as that of Mr Helin. Quit complaining about your life and do something positive to make changes. Show up on time or don't bother coming at all. Get a job. Work hard. And work to rid FNs of the Indian Act and the AFN - both of which only work to keep FNs from achieving their goals while aiding and abetting corrupt band chiefs and councils. All very laudable but rarely discussed or heard as the MSM prefers the whingers, complainers and wanna-be-significants.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
From what I have read about Chief Louie, JLM - he espouses much of the same thinking as that of Mr Helin. Quit complaining about your life and do something positive to make changes. Show up on time or don't bother coming at all. Get a job. Work hard. And work to rid FNs of the Indian Act and the AFN - both of which only work to keep FNs from achieving their goals while aiding and abetting corrupt band chiefs and councils. All very laudable but rarely discussed or heard as the MSM prefers the whingers, complainers and wanna-be-significants.

He is one of the greatest. It's too bad his own people don't realize it.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I have nothing but utmost respect for Clarence Louie.

I have the utmost respect for all FNs who think and act like Mr Helin and Chief Louie, JLM. That they don't get more national coverage is shameful and a perfect example of how our media has sold out to the virtue-signalling so-called 'woke' crowd who prefer to bitch, complain and march in our streets yelling at buildings as they DEMAND government money/support rather than buckling down and simply getting to work.

Here's another success story you will NEVER hear about from our national media.

"In 1996 the Membertou First Nation had $1 million dollar deficit and a budget of $4.5 million. According to lawyer and former band CEO Bernd Christmas, the rate of unemployment was 95%, health and social pathologies rampant. As the result of hard work and strategic community planning, current revenues generated are $65 million, and they have 450 employees. Membertou also contributes approximately $165 million annually to the maritime economy. Between 1996 to 2005, community reliance on government support decreased from 100% to 10%, with their operations making them the largest employer in the region. Mr. Christmas notes that of the approximately $9 billion in Federal Transfer payments to First Nations in 2005, most of the monies are earmarked as social 'handouts' with only approximately $640 million available for economic development. Given the number of First Nations in Canada, this amounts to a paltry $1 million a year for the most critical area of development for First Nations.

Membertou clearly acknowledged that rather than chase welfare dollars, their efforts would be better spent pursuing the enormous business opportunities available. In 2001, Membertou achieved Official International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 9001:2000 certification, making it the first Indigenous government in Canada, and likely the world, to meet internationally recognized business standards. Membertou, as far as the writer is aware, is the only First Nation in Canada that posts its community audited financial statements on its website for the world to see."

There is more to the Membertou success story but I chose to stop there and suggest that anyone interested in that community and the numerous other First Nation's communities mentioned therein who have improved their lives and welfare, get a copy of the book.

Also, Dances with Dependency was published in 2006 so there may be even more such communities who have thrived and are now solidly standing on their own two feet. I am search of their stories too.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The beginning of "The Romanovs: 1613-1918" by British historian Simon Sebag Montefiore:

Two Boys in a Time of Troubles

✧ ✧ ✧

Two teenaged boys, both fragile, innocent and ailing, open and close the story of the dynasty. Both were heirs to a political family destined to rule Russia as autocrats, both raised in times of revolution, war and slaughter. Both were chosen by others for a sacred but daunting role that they were not suited to perform. Separated by 305 years, they played out their destinies in extraordinary and terrible scenarios that took place far from Moscow in edifices named Ipatiev.
At 1.30 a.m. on 17 July 1918, in the Ipatiev House in Ekaterinburg, in the Urals, 800 miles east of Moscow, Alexei, aged thirteen, a sufferer from haemophilia, son of the former Tsar Nicholas II, was awakened with his parents, four sisters, three family retainers and three dogs, and told that the family must urgently prepare to move to a safer place.

At night on 13 March 1613, in the Ipatiev Monastery outside the half-ruined little town of Kostroma on the Volga River 200 miles northeast of Moscow, Michael Romanov, aged sixteen, a sufferer from weak legs and a tic in his eye, the only one of his parents’ five sons to survive, was awakened with his mother to be told that a delegation had arrived. He must prepare urgently to return with them to the capital.

Both boys were startled by the exceptional occasion that they would now confront. Their own parents had sought the paramount prize of the crown on their behalf – yet hoped to protect them from its perils. But they could not be protected because their family had, for better or worse, enrolled in the cruel game of hereditary power in Russia, and their weak shoulders were selected to bear the terrible burden of ruling. But for all the parallels between these transcendent moments in the lives of Alexei and Michael, they were, as we shall see, travelling in very different directions. One was the beginning and one was the end.

Alexei, a prisoner of the Bolsheviks, in a Russia shattered by savage civil war and foreign invasion, got dressed with his parents and sisters. Their clothes were woven with the famous jewels of the dynasty, secreted for a future escape into a new freedom. The boy and his father, the ex-tsar Nicholas II, both donned plain military shirts, breeches and peaked caps. Ex-tsarina Alexandra and her teenaged daughters all wore white blouses and black skirts, no jackets or hats. They were told to bring little with them, but they naturally tried to collect pillows, purses and keepsakes, unsure if they would return or where they were going. The parents knew they themselves were unlikely to emerge from this trauma with their lives, but even in that flint-hearted age, it would surely be unthinkable to harm innocent children. For now, befuddled by sleep, exhausted by living in despair and uncertainty, they suspected nothing.

Michael Romanov and his mother, the Nun Martha, had recently been prisoners but were now almost fugitives, lying low, seeking sanctuary in a monastery amid a land also shattered by civil war and foreign invasion, not unlike the Russia of 1918. They too were accustomed to living in mortal danger. They were right to be afraid for the boy was being hunted by death squads.

In her mid-fifties, the Nun Martha, the boy’s mother, had suffered much in the brutal reversals of this, the Time of Troubles, which had seen their family fall from splendour and power to prison and death and back: the boy’s father, Filaret, was even now in Polish captivity; several uncles had been murdered. Michael was scarcely literate, decidedly unmasterful and chronically sick. He and his mother presumably just hoped to survive until his father returned. But would he ever return?

Mother and son, torn between dread and anticipation, told the delegation of grandees from Moscow to meet the boy outside the Ipatiev in the morning, unsure what the dawn would bring.

The guards in the Ipatiev House of Ekaterinburg watched as the Romanovs came down the stairs, crossing themselves as they passed a stuffed female bear with two cubs on the landing. Nicholas carried his ailing son.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Just read Fall of Giants this past week and am ordering Winter World and Edge of Eternity from the library - really great historical read with wonderful characters.

Also found out that JK Rowling also writes under the name of Robert Galbraith and read her first three novels that follow the life of a British private detective - also great reads and am ordering the follow up novels.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Bernard Cornwell’s Sword of Kings, the twelfth book in the Last Kingdom series.