Trump :war president maga !~

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
It's iteresting that 7 straight Presidents took some part in a 3 year war (World War Two) while a total of 0 took part in Viet Nam which lasted about 10 years.

In World War Two people like Kennedy used their influence to get into the war, while people used their influence to get out of Viet Nam.
And people like Nixon who had a built-in religious excuse not to fight in the war (he was a Quaker), still went and fought in WW2, while people like Clinton literally weaseled their way out of Viet Nam.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Are you talking about official US involvement in the hostilities or the actual start of WW2?
I'm talking about World War II.

What the heck is "official involvement?" The Congressional declaration of war?

If so, in what way was Lend-Lease not "official?" Just one example.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Which were the gay Prseidents?
Well, all the wig-wearers. Probably Cleveland. Definitely Teddy Roosevelt (I mean, c'mon, have you ever seen such a blatant case of overcompensation?). All the Democrats (except Clinton, of course).

No, wait, Clinton too. Nothing in the minds of Real Americans sees any incompatibility between homosexuality and serial sexual predation of women.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Technically, World War II started in September 1939, with the German invasion of Poland. It ended with the surrender of Japan in August 1945.
The World was not at war in 1938.
The world was not at war in 1944, if that's your standard.

Switzerland wasn't at war. Ireland wasn't at war. Most of Central and South America wasn't at war.

And 1939-1941, the U.S. wasn't at war. Can't have a war without us.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well, all the wig-wearers. Probably Cleveland. Definitely Teddy Roosevelt (I mean, c'mon, have you ever seen such a blatant case of overcompensation?). All the Democrats (except Clinton, of course).
No, wait, Clinton too. Nothing in the minds of Real Americans sees any incompatibility between homosexuality and serial sexual predation of women.
I kinda wonder about Teddy and his pack of merry mercenaries. Explains Rough Rider condoms and only getting CFL for team names.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The world was not at war in 1944, if that's your standard.
Switzerland wasn't at war. Ireland wasn't at war. Most of Central and South America wasn't at war.
And 1939-1941, the U.S. wasn't at war. Can't have a war without us.
FDR wanted in from the start but opted for passive aggressive economic and trade measures against Japan and Germany that ultimately backfired.

BTW I know you know this but there is the off chance someone will learn it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
FDR wanted in from the start but opted for passive aggressive economic and trade measures against Japan and Germany that ultimately backfired.
BTW I know you know this but there is the off chance someone will learn it.
Ah, so if the President wants a war, you're "officially" at war.

Well, that's a standard.

I guess.

By any sane historical standard, the war started in 1938 when Japan invaded China.

Also by any sane historical standard, it was the Third World War, not the Second. The so-called Napoleonic Wars were fought on every continent except Antarctica and in all the seas of the planet. That was World War I.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are you microdosing and seeing things that arent there? Try putting a hand over one eye.

I said FDR wanted to go to war but went with what the people wanted, to sanction the Nazis, Japs and supply the Allies. After the depression and dustbowl, having a job was more important than war to everyone.

Cutting Japan off of US oil after what the Japs did in Nanking was what officially dragged the US into the fray in a noncombat role.

Last edited:

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
Are you microdosing and seeing things that arent there? Try putting a hand over one eye.
I said FDR wanted to go to war but went with what the people wanted, to sanction the Nazis, Japs and supply the Allies. After the depression and dustbowl, having a job was more important than war to everyone.
Cutting Japan off of US oil after what the Japs did in Nanking was what officially dragged the US into the fray in a noncombat role.

Don’t forget the horrors of WWI or whatever number Tec thinks it is. The Americans had no appetite for a foreign war after that muddy mess.