"The west wants out": Separatist sentiments growing in Alberta

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
In case anybody was actually confused as to whether this was about Ottawa, or just a hissy fit about Trudeaubama.

If Cap'n's typical, as soon as there's a Conservative PM, the Empire of the West fantasy will dry up and blow away.

Kinda like Texas secession. They're all rootin' tootin' for secession when there's a Democratic president (especially when he's black, not that they're racists, mind), and happier'n pigs in shit when there's a Republican.

Appreciate the insight, Cap'n. Until some further evidence emerges, I'll just regard and treat Wexiteers as whiny li'l kids pouting because they lost the latest election. Because that's clearly what y'all are.

You sure do get your panties all in a bunch when folks don't march lock-step with your ideas.

That said, contrary to what I assume is your general position on the unquestioning support of a Party regardless of policy, my position is exclusively that of supporting policy regardless of the the name on the letterhead.

As far as tater tot is concerned, there is no question that he's a train-wreck, but don't let that small fact alter your position(s)

You think this is superficial?

I get that you're an American outsider looking in but I didnt think you were naive.

He's more interested in dwama and following a dream of being awarded the first Oscar for internet acting

Where do you Liberals get the idea we would join the Us? Western Canada will be just that. With maybe a few of the north western states joining in. Geographically it makes much more sense than how both countries are currently aligned. You can keep your bilingualism and money pits.

No doubt... Why change from 1 corrupted Fed gvt (to pay endless tribute) to another

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If Cap'n's revealing rant was in any way typical, it's not about Ottawa, it's about the current occupant of 24 Sussex Drive.
And Cap'n's one of the smarter, more stable righties hereabouts.
This has been going on for 115 years.

As for the legal platform to secede, do you need a divorce if you've never been married?

Ever since the enactment of the Statute of Westminster in 1931, by the British Government, each of the provinces of Canada has been a completely sovereign and independent state, and because the provinces have signed nothing since then constituting a Federal Union and a Federal Government, and because no such treaty has been ratified by the people of
Canada, the provinces still enjoy the status of sovereignty and are privileged to use it in any way they see fit.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This has been going on for 115 years.
As for the legal platform to secede, do you need a divorce if you've never been married?
Ever since the enactment of the Statute of Westminster in 1931, by the British Government, each of the provinces of Canada has been a completely sovereign and independent state, and because the provinces have signed nothing since then constituting a Federal Union and a Federal Government, and because no such treaty has been ratified by the people of
Canada, the provinces still enjoy the status of sovereignty and are privileged to use it in any way they see fit.
As I've said, as an American, I support Wexit, because despite the administrative inefficiencies, it's easier to dominate and manipulate two or three tiny countries than one small country.

But go back and read the Cap'n's screed that started this current back-and-forth.

Are you honest enough to admit that that post was one long whine about Trudeaubama?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You sure do get your panties all in a bunch when folks don't march lock-step with your ideas.
Yeah, but at least I don't obsess about a sideshow seventeen-year-old Swedish kid.

The symbols folks choose to get all wrapped around an axle about, enit?

That said, contrary to what I assume is your general position on the unquestioning support of a Party regardless of policy, my position is exclusively that of supporting policy regardless of the the name on the letterhead.
That's mostly true. As a rule, I'm not terribly concerned about the petty internal handbag fights in a minor client state. I give such support as I can spare to the party I consider best for the U.S., and continue it until it becomes absolutely clear that that's no longer true. In the case of Canada, that's why such support as I have at all is for the Conservatives. I liked Harper being PM, and I had hoped for Scheer in the last election.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Yeah, but at least I don't obsess about a sideshow seventeen-year-old Swedish kid.

The symbols folks choose to get all wrapped around an axle about, enit?

Funny you mention this as it could be argued that you maintain an unhealthy fixation on Greta
That's mostly true. As a rule, I'm not terribly concerned about the petty internal handbag fights in a minor client state. I give such support as I can spare to the party I consider best for the U.S., and continue it until it becomes absolutely clear that that's no longer true. In the case of Canada, that's why such support as I have at all is for the Conservatives. I liked Harper being PM, and I had hoped for Scheer in the last election.

Truth be told, i had really hoped that Paul Martin would have had a decent opportunity to steer the country.

Despite he being a Lib party member, I was impressed by the structured manner in which he planned to lead the country during his all to brief stint as PM

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
As I've said, as an American, I support Wexit, because despite the administrative inefficiencies, it's easier to dominate and manipulate two or three tiny countries than one small country.
But go back and read the Cap'n's screed that started this current back-and-forth.
Are you honest enough to admit that that post was one long whine about Trudeaubama?
Trudeaubama is just the latest target of frustration. Hate against his father Trudeastro was far harsher with serious assassination threats.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Trudeaubama is just the latest target of frustration. Hate against his father Trudeastro was far harsher with serious assassination threats.
I honestly don't recall a lot of Wexit whining when Harper was the boss.

Thanks for the greenie. I hope I made it clear. As an bordering country and an ally, I care a bit more about Canada and its people than, say, Namibia and its people. But while your internal handbag fights are sometimes interesting and amusing, I'll come down on whatever side I consider best for the U.S. It's where I keep my stuff.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Truth be told, i had really hoped that Paul Martin would have had a decent opportunity to steer the country.
Despite he being a Lib party member, I was impressed by the structured manner in which he planned to lead the country during his all to brief stint as PM
The tailored suit Liberals before they started grasping for NDP swing voters.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Funny you mention this as it could be argued that you maintain an unhealthy fixation on Greta

Yep he wanted to lead from a business perspective, the East central rejected him for it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Then you need to dig into the Reform Party.
No, I really don't. If you don't recall hearing a lot of whining, there wasn't a lot of whining. Kinda by definition, what a person whose interest is passing and detached hears is a good measure of the volume of the whining.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
You have mastered the premise of being simple, straightforward and stupid.

You Greta-philes really crack me up... There's almost a Senator McCarthy-esque quality to your reactions any time that someone posts a comment that is critical of your adopted celebrity

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Possibly. There are a number of people in Washington and Oregon that also favour the concept of Cascadia. The boundaries tend to be flexible depending on who is pushing it but basically Washington Oregon BC Montana Alberta Alaska. Seems like the Western states feel the same way we do about a federal government that either ignores or steals from them.

"Cascadia"???????????????? OHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A great FLOOD OF DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And aint it grand to know there is a Yankee equivalent of Cdn Wexit Wingnuts!

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
No, I really don't. If you don't recall hearing a lot of whining, there wasn't a lot of whining. Kinda by definition, what a person whose interest is passing and detached hears is a good measure of the volume of the whining.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/reform-party-of-canada

Beginnings

The Reform Party of Canada grew out of a coalition of Western Canadian interest groups discontented with the status quo in federal politics. The coalition began in 1986 as an attempt to voice western concerns in Ottawa. In May 1987, the Reform Association of Canada voted to create a broadly based party to voice western economic and constitutional concerns. The party was officially founded in Winnipeg in the fall of 1987 and chose as its leader Preston Manning, son of Ernest Manning, the Social Credit premier of Alberta from 1944 to 1968.
The Reform Party's platform included traditional Prairie populist favourites such as free trade and direct democracy (referendums, grassroots initiatives and the power to recall elected politicians). It also included contemporary proposals such as the creation of a Triple-E (equal, elected and effective) Senate. Its major preoccupations, however, were decentralizing and reducing the size, scope and cost of the federal government —primarily through cuts to social welfare and cultural programs (including bilingualism and multiculturalism).
The Reform Party was also firmly opposed to Québec's demands for special status within Confederation.

Still, in the 1997 election the party emerged as the official opposition, winning 60 of 301 Commons seats compared with 155 seats for the Liberals and 44 for the Bloc. The election highlighted once again the regional limits of Reform — every one of its seats came from the West. It lost its single Ontario seat and failed to garner significant support east of Manitoba.

It was formed from the discontent in the West

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
You have mastered the premise of being simple, straightforward and stupid.

You Greta-philes really crack me up... There's almost a Senator McCarthy-esque quality to your reactions any time that someone posts a comment that is critical of your adopted celebrity

Oh dear me! I am saddened by your apparent EASE in supplying Adolf Hitler style propaganda!

You no doubt recall - since you ARE FOLLOWING THAT ADVICE - that Hitler advised his people:

"If you are going to LIE, it is best to tell really big ones as people find the bigger ones easier to believe"!

Your glib assumption that all others are even more GULLIBLE than you are - IS LUDICROUS!

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Another day of people who have no voice talking about a topic that doesn't exist.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
As I said, you need to dig into the Reform Party. It was born out of "Western whining".

Last edited: