Stop our dependency on China!!!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We'll be even more dependent on China once the lockdown has f*cked us up.

Many are under the impression that China has given the virus to the world in order to put us into lockdown and **** our economies up, making China supreme.

The Chinese leaders are laughing at us. They're loving it.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
There is going to be a lot more White Natty's for awhile after this pandemic is over.

Canada building its own PPE supply chain in China

When Cargojet flight 1392 touched down in Hamilton on Saturday it brought with it millions of badly needed N95 respirator masks to help in the fight against COVID-19.
The Boeing 767 was the third delivery of critical supplies arriving under a made-for-Canada plan set up with the help of diplomats and consultants in China, a warehouse in Shanghai, and two of Canada's airlines.
The plan was born out of urgency. With the global market for medical supplies overwhelmed by chaos and acts of piracy, Canada needed to take some of the risk out of securing everything from badly needed medical masks to gowns to gloves.
Federal bureaucrats and political staff handling procurement of medical supplies were frustrated by deliveries showing up late. Unreliable and profiteering brokers were driving prices through the roof. Rival countries were buying shipments out from under each other...…...More

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Start buying Made in Canada or Made in The USA!!
Bring our jobs home.
We dont want the cancer causing and repetitive stress or just dangerous to begin with jobs back, do we? How much manufacturing is now robotic or batch products?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I'd love for all Canadian made products.

I'd love to not have "Buy China" or "Buy USA" as an option.

So here's the question then for all those who would rather not buy China or anywhere else...

Are you willing to pay the increased prices for things made in Canada? Cause that's what will happen. You know all those rules and regulations we have that the corporate doesn't like? That's one reason they go to China; cause China and other places aren't so strict. They think it's great to put mercury and asbestos in things still and have questionable practices and pay just pennies a day. Meanwhile, we don't like that in Canada...

So which do you want, cheap goods made with near slave labor, or made in Canada goods at higher prices?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
"Assembled in Canada" is more likely than "Made in Canada".

The only way to beat Shenzhen is build a bigger more efficient Shenzhen in North America.......

Or there is another option. Air raids on Shenzhen.

That ain't gonna happen.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
"Assembled in Canada" is more likely than "Made in Canada".
The only way to beat Shenzhen is build a bigger more efficient Shenzhen in North America.......
Or there is another option. Air raids on Shenzhen.
That ain't gonna happen.
Not without our permission, anyhow.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I'd love for all Canadian made products.

I'd love to not have "Buy China" or "Buy USA" as an option.

So here's the question then for all those who would rather not buy China or anywhere else...

Are you willing to pay the increased prices for things made in Canada? Cause that's what will happen. You know all those rules and regulations we have that the corporate doesn't like? That's one reason they go to China;
Yes and no. One of the major catalysts for the move to offshore all that manufacturing were the new investor protection laws that were brought in after the ENRON fiasco. The law stated that publicly traded companies had a legal responsibility to shareholders to keep the profits up. So by moving manufacturing offshore to places they could pay 1/10th the wage they do in NA they were merely "obeying the law". I hope you also read my response with the cynicism that was intended. I'm not defending the move, just explaining it.

However, as China's prosperity increases so do the wages. There's already been a slow move on businesses leaving China for places like Vietnam, Bangladesh, and other potential third and developing world locations in Asia because they can pay less in wages while still being within to the massive Asian market.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yes and no. One of the major catalysts for the move to offshore all that manufacturing were the new investor protection laws that were brought in after the ENRON fiasco. The law stated that publicly traded companies had a legal responsibility to shareholders to keep the profits up. So by moving manufacturing offshore to places they could pay 1/10th the wage they do in NA they were merely "obeying the law". I hope you also read my response with the cynicism that was intended. I'm not defending the move, just explaining it.
However, as China's prosperity increases so do the wages. There's already been a slow move on businesses leaving China for places like Vietnam, Bangladesh, and other potential third and developing world locations in Asia because they can pay less in wages while still being within to the massive Asian market.
There is also the near total lack of environmental rules in these places. They cost megabucks to adhere to.
A good example of this even here is a subsidiary of the company I work for makes steel disposal bins. Big sales to California. Now you might ask yourself how a small company on Vancouver Island can make steel bins and sell competitively into California market? The answer is California has a law against the type of paint the disposal companies want being applied in California. But they are fine with it being applied elsewhere.