The big bad scary virus pandemic.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Don't be surprised if you get less than a warm welcome, pgs. You were told to stay home, I suggest you do just that.
B.S. , I have property , why should I not use it ? I am not spreading anything in my car . Yikes in Penticton yesterday the radio was telling Albertans that own homes or vacation properties
In the Okanagan to stay home . That is B.S. , as is you telling others the same . I am far less likely to spread or contact the disease sitting alone on my deck at the lake then in the city .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I hate Trudeau, but at the very least....he listens to the medical establishment. Say what you want about the man, and I think we would do better with a different leader. Having said that, he is 1,000 times better than Trump, or any other sociopath Republican.
Nope , no bias here.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Lets just call a spade a spade.

Unlike Europe, the Trump Administration is hoping the elderly die off. The Administration is all about the economy, and they consider the elderly "invalids" who hinder the economic growth of the nation.

This sets off a very dangerous precedent. As we have seen in history, if the Government turns people over 60, or those who cannot afford proper health care, and encourages them to die, what makes anyone think they will stop there? If the American people do not stand up to Trump and his cronies, you can bet that the next group to be dealt with will be immigrants and Muslims. Need a kidney? Well we can make some of those Mexican immigrants disappear...
You sir are completely off your rocker .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Once in awhile I find it necessary to pull you off Ignore in order to address one of your more egregious comments in order to set you on the path to elucidation.............with emphasis added to drive home the point.

It is always in moments of crisis that political leaders try to grab powers they don’t deserve, and in Canada it would be frighteningly easy

"......the first draft of the Liberal bill essentially proposed installing Justin Trudeau and Bill Morneau as co-emperors. Until Dec. 31, 2021, the Finance Minister would have had exclusive power to raise taxes, “purchase or hold a company’s shares” and extend credit without the palaver of Parliamentary approval."

nationalpost.com/opinion/chris-selley-cheers-to-parliamentary-supremacists-whose-lonely-struggles-are-not-entirely-in-vain?

John Robson on COVID-19: We revert to type in a crisis — Trudeau reverted to authoritarian

Governments already have emergency powers and can already tax and spend. They just have to explain what they’re doing while doing it and justify it afterwards. And Trudeau didn’t want to

When Prime Minister Justin Trudeau professed admiration for China’s “basic dictatorship” because it could “turn on a dime” in an emergency we thought the man-boy had just stuck his tongue in the socket again and his handlers needed a bag of those white plastic child-proofing things. But then he said to cope with the COVID-19 crisis we should surrender our freedom to a man on horseback.

Monday night Global News revealed a Liberal emergency bill granting “extraordinary new powers to spend, borrow and tax without having to get the approval of opposition MPs until December 2021. Why? They could already spend, borrow and tax. Why should all the silly barons, clerics and commoners shut up and let King John run things his way?

Global called it “highly unusual” since “The Canadian Constitution enshrines taxation as a power of the parliamentary branch.” That silly old thing? And the public outcry forced them to back down. But what an idea for prime minister, cabinet and bureaucracy to embrace even briefly.

To be sure, many people are reverting to type in this crisis. Amnesty International said controlling illegal immigration was illegal.

Climate alarmists hailed COVID-19 as a model for fighting global warming. The foreign minister phoned other foreign ministers to say they should phone each other. NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh demanded a “firing freeze.” And Trudeau said burn Magna Carta.

If it’s also typical that I want intelligent scrutiny of the state in an emergency, my type beats Trudeau’s. He always considered democratic procedures a permissible luxury in calm periods but a frivolous indulgence in crises when we need a real man leading us.

It’s an understandable reflex. Get with the program. Don’t you know there’s a war on? Dissent is treason. Burn the witch.

John Ivison called COVID-19 Trudeau’s make or break moment, where stone-faced “resolve” in barking “enough is enough” might erase the genial doofus public image. Oh great. Napoleon to the rescue. Just what we need.

No. We need free societies’ habit of maintaining dissent in crises. Not always perfectly, to our subsequent shame. But as I noted in a recent Loonie Politics column, a very public munitions crisis toppled a British prime minister during the First World War and rightly. And if Trudeau makes a mess of this pandemic, he should be ousted. Exactly unlike Xi Jinping.

Indeed, the Chinese government’s performance on COVID-19 has been a revealing model of disastrous mendacity. They denied anything was happening, imprisoned critics and let the virus loose on the world while everyone from the World Health Organization to our health minister licked their jackboots. Now they’re lying about stopping it dead, and people still believe them. The New York Times told the U.S. to “repeat the success of countries like China … in containing the epidemic,” the same day the Epoch Times published leaked documents showing many new cases.

Communism is no model in normal times, and the last system you should emulate in a crisis. We need Magna Carta not the “Little Red Book” or the “Little Potato.” Starting with intelligent criticism of the idea that governments can save us all from the consequences of ceasing productive activity by creating wealth out of thin air.

Trudeau always believed it. Sure, he promised limited deficits for a brief period because his handlers told him otherwise he’d scare voters. But he never meant it. Now he talks of bestowing $100 billion or more on us like manna from heaven. But he’s really proposing confiscating $100 billion from some hard-pressed Canadians to give to others even harder-pressed. Who’s going to pay for it and how in a weakened economy?

We also need pointed questions about sober medical voices telling us the pandemic isn’t as dangerous as it sounds, including German microbiologist Sucharit Bhakdi, and sober economic voices telling us the shutdown is more dangerous than it sounds, including William Watson in this newspaper Monday. (I’ve been in real self-quarantine for over a week. But only my body. Not my brain.)

Thank goodness for pointed questions on a third point: surrendering our ancient, time-tested right to self-government on a whim.

As I warned in Loonie Politics, predictable talk of putting partisanship behind us is misguided because the point of political divisions is to prevent government running roughshod over legitimate concerns. Politics is famously ugly. But the alternative to two or more sets of donkeys braying at one another is them all braying at us, which is not an improvement.

We just got a bitter taste of it. The opposition parties muted their childish rhetoric and were rewarded with a hard legislative elbow to the chest in Parliament.

Governments already have emergency powers and can already tax and spend. They just have to explain what they’re doing while doing it and justify it afterwards. And Trudeau didn’t want to.

Xi Jinping would sympathize. Thank goodness we didn’t.

nationalpost.com/opinion/john-robson-on-covid-19-we-revert-to-type-in-a-crisis-trudeau-reverted-to-authoritarian

John Ivison: Liberals can't help being opportunistic with their COVID-19 aid bill

"Could it be that the Liberals saw in the current health crisis the means of saving themselves the exasperation of having to horse-trade with their opponents?

Was it as simple as them not being able to resist the temptation to bypass the country’s principal democratic institution, which they appear to see as little more than an inconvenience?

Few better explanations present themselves."

nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-liberals-cant-help-being-opportunistic-with-their-covid-19-aid-bill
A couple posts ago you were saying how you are content how our PM is handling this crisis , now you post this . I think you might be mixed up .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Governments can't even run a whorehouse in Nevada without bankrupting it and you expect them to look after the economy?
The sexual revolution has shut down many whorehouses, as women choose to have sex when and where and with whom they please.

Well, with everybody but you, that is.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They should have left them all in jail where we could wish them all good luck. They should all have been just told to keep their safe "social distance" from the other guy. Just saying.
They are the types who live in the park all summer then deliberately do something stupid in the fall to get another year sentence but are out in 8 months.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Italy and Spain (and possibly other European countries) are now refusing to give ventilators to persons over 60. The hospitals will administer sedatives to ease the pain, but simply do not have enough equipment to deal with the pandemic. NYC will be next. They are days from running out of all critical supplies.

Considering the USA has one of the worst health care systems in the first world, it's only a matter of time before it gets worse in America than in Europe. This is why some republicans are encouraging elderly people to sacrifice themselves, in the name of the younger generation.

Total cases of COVID-19:

USA: 53,073
Canada: 2,792

New cases (24 hours):

USA: 9,279
Canada: 701

Cases per million:

USA: 160
Canada 74

Cases by province:

Quebec: 1013
Ontario: 588
BC: 617
Alberta: 358
Saskatchewan: 73
Nova Scotia: 51
Newfoundland: 35
Manitoba: 21
New Brunswick: 18
PEI: 3
Yukon/NWT: 3

YES - the Cdn borders ARE GOING TO BE CLOSED to most of the planet - FOR MUCH LONGER than LIE-berals want to admit!

My prediction is it will take 12- 18 months of SERIOUS EFFORT to chase down and FORCIBLY quarantine all Wuhan infected!

And the Yankee health care system DOES NOT lend itself to such efforts! We can look for this problem to endure for some time!

No doubt a more effective treatment and inoculations will be developed - but rushing something into production

WITHOUT doing practical clinical trials may PRODUCE as many problems as it solves!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The sexual revolution has shut down many whorehouses, as women choose to have sex when and where and with whom they please.
Well, with everybody but you, that is.
That's OK because my wife doesn't like to share. ALso most of the time she wears me out. Except when in camp, but usually there are not a lot of women there. Even undesirable ones are rare.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
That is true, as I think Canada is being divided by Trudeau and his preference for certain Canadian regions over others. However, I will give props to him for handling the COVID-19 pandemic adequately so far. Then again, anyone can look good compared to the way Trump and the GOP are handling the crisis.

What has he done to be affective? Screenings at point of origin and point of entry has been colossal failure, voluntary self quarantine is also a failure, he tried for a power grab, Provinces are pretty much on their own and they are doing what is necessary to battle this epidemic.

He also went into hiding and pops his head out of the door once a day to reassure Canadians they are doing their best, yep he should get the props alright /s

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
WITHOUT doing practical clinical trials may PRODUCE as many problems as it solves!

That is a very real problem. Especially in a society that has a 40 character attention span.

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
What has he done to be affective? Screenings at point of origin and point of entry has been colossal failure, voluntary self quarantine is also a failure, he tried for a power grab, Provinces are pretty much on their own and they are doing what is necessary to battle this epidemic.
He also went into hiding and pops his head out of the door once a day to reassure Canadians they are doing their best, yep he should get the props alright /s
Yeah, that power grab stunt should not be ignored. How anyone votes Liberal next time after all the scandals, blackface and now this is beyond me.

AnnaE

Time Out
Jan 31, 2020
Anna, you are out of line.

In coronavirus pandemic, Trump allies say they're ready to die for the economy

March 25, 2020, 9:54 AM MDT

Conservative supporters of President Trump are increasingly volunteering to risk death — and implicitly the deaths of elderly and at-risk Americans — from the coronavirus if it will help the economy.
pfft
I never got in the line.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017

That is a very real problem. Especially in a society that has a 40 character attention span.
from a guy who will not participate in clinical trials.

too scary

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Don’t forget the stern lectures .

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
the white nattys want to make sure we all stay focused on Prime Minister Trudeau.

he is the one who must save us all.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
B.S. , I have property , why should I not use it ? I am not spreading anything in my car . Yikes in Penticton yesterday the radio was telling Albertans that own homes or vacation properties
In the Okanagan to stay home . That is B.S. , as is you telling others the same . I am far less likely to spread or contact the disease sitting alone on my deck at the lake then in the city .

Fine. You get in your car and you drive straight to your property and bring all the necessary supplies with you as once you get there you are effectively in self-isolation for 14 days. No visiting. No shopping for groceries until after the 14-day period so make darn sure you have everything you need when you make your decision. You are coming from the hot-bed of the virus in BC so please excuse those of us who do not wish to see it spread here for telling you it's best to just stay home.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
A couple posts ago you were saying how you are content how our PM is handling this crisis , now you post this . I think you might be mixed up .
What I wrote was that I was more content with JT as our PM then were I a citizen of the US with Trump as Pres. That in no way means that I will give him a free ride when he attempts to thwart democracy with a blatant and unnecessary power grab.