Reusable bags contain bacteria, mould: study

mit

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2008
SouthWestern Ontario
It is not the plastic bag manufacturer or the bottled water seller that is the evil one in these times. They are producing a product that consumers want and their products left over packaging can be recycled quite easily - landfilling these containers is wrong but who is throwing them out - consumers of course - So instead of putting restrictions on manufacturers - perhaps the consumer needs to start being charged more for their garbage - That way if they choose to reduce it saves resources - ifthey choose to recycle it offers opportunities for new products and if they choose to toss it in the trash they will pay.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I hope the ban on plastic bags goes the way of the dinosaur.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I hope the ban on plastic bags goes the way of the dinosaur.
Looks like you got your wish............if only temporarily, Walter. Save-On here in BC just banned the use of cloth/reusable bags and is giving out plastic ones free of charge.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Looks like you got your wish............if only temporarily, Walter. Save-On here in BC just banned the use of cloth/reusable bags and is giving out plastic ones free of charge.
Virtue signalling is so poseur.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Which cutting board holds the most germs, wood or plastic?
Plastic

"According to Rodale News, expert Dean O. Cliver, PhD from University of California, Davis, conducted research on the subject and found that wood cutting boards contained less salmonella bacteria than plastic. On wood cutting boards, the bacteria sank "down beneath the surface of the cutting board, where they didn’t multiply and eventually died off." On plastic boards, however, bacteria got caught in knife grooves that were near impossible to clean out, whether the board was washed by hand or dishwasher. So while sparkling new plastic cutting boards might be easy to disinfect, any weathered plastic board will hold onto bacteria.'

www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/wood-or-plastic-cutting-board_n_6133318

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I prefer having my bags as full as possible to cut down on the number I have to carry. I find that the cloth loops on reusable bags are much easier on my hands. Simple as that.

I was forced to buy a reusable at Safeway I asked what do I do with the bag if it rips or wears out, the cashier says just bring it back and we will give you a new one. Then I asked what they did with the bags that can't be used, the cashier says I don't know.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Plastic
"According to Rodale News, expert Dean O. Cliver, PhD from University of California, Davis, conducted research on the subject and found that wood cutting boards contained less salmonella bacteria than plastic. On wood cutting boards, the bacteria sank "down beneath the surface of the cutting board, where they didn’t multiply and eventually died off." On plastic boards, however, bacteria got caught in knife grooves that were near impossible to clean out, whether the board was washed by hand or dishwasher. So while sparkling new plastic cutting boards might be easy to disinfect, any weathered plastic board will hold onto bacteria.'
You cheated. I read this over 20 years ago and asked several camp cooks. Not one got it right.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I was forced to buy a reusable at Safeway I asked what do I do with the bag if it rips or wears out, the cashier says just bring it back and we will give you a new one. Then I asked what they did with the bags that can't be used, the cashier says I don't know.

If you want to know what happens to those bags that are not usable, I'd ask the manager, TM.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
You cheated. I read this over 20 years ago and asked several camp cooks. Not one got it right.

I went and got a source for back-up, ts but I've known that wooden cutting boards are preferable for decades now, I once worked for a chef who told me about the health issues related to plastic boards. I have a large plastic one but I always put parchment paper, tin foil or plastic wrap on it before any food stuff. I have three wooden ones and after I use them they get washed, spritzed with a mild bleach solution then thoroughly rinsed and left to dry.

AnnaE

Time Out
Jan 31, 2020
I prefer having my bags as full as possible to cut down on the number I have to carry. I find that the cloth loops on reusable bags are much easier on my hands. Simple as that.
The reusables are usually stronger, too. Many of those wimpy plastic bags have ripped at the handle resulting in contents on the ground or floor.

AnnaE

Time Out
Jan 31, 2020
Plastic

Plastic is easier to clean, though. Personally, I use hydrogen peroxide on my plastic and wooden boards.