Largest oil drop in history underway, analysts say

AnnaE

Time Out
Jan 31, 2020
Nope it is to combat Carbon dioxide pollutants in the atmosphere that is supposedly warming our planet to catastrophic levels. The only way we are told to combat this inevitable doomsday is to embrace Green technology and walk away from fossil fuels within 10 years or we are doomed. It can only be done in 1 of 2 ways we are told, shut in O&G forever, or reduce O&G emissions to pre 2000 levels. The way to get us to pre-2000 levels is to raise the price of fuel by inflation or tax to make it very expensive to run or fossil mobiles and buy offset credits from countries that have little Carbon pollution to even it out.

That's the propaganda behind it anyway, just ask Greta
NVMD. You seem to have a problem following my point and I am not going to try explaining it to you.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
IHS: Oil Demand Set For Largest Decline In History
https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/IHS-Oil-Demand-Set-For-Largest-Decline-In-History.html
People don't want oil and never have. We have always accepted it s a necessary evil but those days are gone. No longer necessary to use combustion engines. No longer acceptable to invest in oil and gas - because its wrong and because its a loser investment.
Are you high again on indoor weed that cant exist without O&G?

Read the articles and not headlines...

The market research firm unsurprisingly attributed the slump to the decline in economic activity resulting from the coronavirus outbreak, calling the situation in China, where the outbreak started, “an unprecedented stoppage” of economic activity.With pretty much every industry suffering the blow of the outbreak, IHS Markit said it expected oil demand to drop by as much as 3.8 million bpd this quarter, to 96 million bpd.

Everybody wants bicycles and toy cars?

Last edited:

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
This is what the "green energy" movement has wrought and will continue to do so until they wake the f*ck up.

That is Lake Baotou. Google it if you want. That "Lake" is just one of the legacies of the green drive, and the drive for electronic gadgets. This is the end result of rare earth mining and processing. What's interesting is two of the most commonly used rare earth elements aren't all that rare. What's rare is the number of countries willing to turn parts themselves into the above to extract them, yet. There's your magnets for wind turbines. There's your rare earth elements for today's modern electronics. There's your rare earth elements for EV batteries.

Nice job "greenies". Please do go on with your superior eco-philosophy, you're doing "great" so far.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017

Oh now.............................

that oil price drop is NECESSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise how will LIE-berals AFFORD TO FUEL THE AMBULANCES ......................................

that round us up and take us to Wuhan Quarantine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An ambulance IS NOT FUEL EFFICIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
IHS: Oil Demand Set For Largest Decline In History
https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/IHS-Oil-Demand-Set-For-Largest-Decline-In-History.html
People don't want oil and never have. We have always accepted it s a necessary evil but those days are gone. No longer necessary to use combustion engines. No longer acceptable to invest in oil and gas - because its wrong and because its a loser investment.
ROFLMFAO You truly are stupid. Everyone just loved those wood fired steam engines.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This is what the "green energy" movement has wrought and will continue to do so until they wake the f*ck up.

That is Lake Baotou. Google it if you want. That "Lake" is just one of the legacies of the green drive, and the drive for electronic gadgets. This is the end result of rare earth mining and processing. What's interesting is two of the most commonly used rare earth elements aren't all that rare. What's rare is the number of countries willing to turn parts themselves into the above to extract them, yet. There's your magnets for wind turbines. There's your rare earth elements for today's modern electronics. There's your rare earth elements for EV batteries.
Nice job "greenies". Please do go on with your superior eco-philosophy, you're doing "great" so far.
So, what's your solution? Go back to pre-plastics?

Seriously. You're more than willing (eager, in fact) to take shots at other people's solutions, but I don't think I've ever heard you propose one. I'd like to. You're one of the saner and smarter people here.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Limited thinking.
The carbon tax is, but that isn't the only tax they could come up with. They could call it "peak oil tax", "oil runout tax", "bad hair day tax", or whatever.

How about calling it the subdizing-green-renewable-tech-'cause-it's-hugely-unecomical-tax?

So, what's your solution? Go back to pre-plastics?

Seriously. You're more than willing (eager, in fact) to take shots at other people's solutions, but I don't think I've ever heard you propose one. I'd like to. You're one of the saner and smarter people here.

Problem here is that the proposed solution (to the problem articulated by various green lobbies) is not a functional solution at this time.

Case in point, if 15% of people in society were to convert to basic electricity for heating and EVs, there would not be enough supply of rare earths and select precious metals to provide the batteries or construct the necessary infrastructure upgrades to service that 15% increase in demand.

It's no big secret. it is a fact

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
How about calling it the subdizing-green-renewable-tech-'cause-it's-hugely-unecomical-tax?
Problem here is that the proposed solution (to the problem articulated by various green lobbies) is not a functional solution at this time.
Case in point, if 15% of people in society were to convert to basic electricity for heating and EVs, there would not be enough supply of rare earths and select precious metals to provide the batteries or construct the necessary infrastructure upgrades to service that 15% increase in demand.
It's no big secret. it is a fact
Again, that's a shot at somebody else's solution, not a solution of your own.

Look, as I've said several times, most recently in my support of pipelines, we are decades away from 100% "green." And as you've pointed out many times, "green" solutions have environmental effects.

But the pollution problems of "green" energy can be solved, just as the pollution problems of fossil fuels have been improved considerably. I read an automotive engineer who said that a 1972 Chevy Nova, brand new, put more pollution into the air when it was sitting at the curb with the engine off than a 2016 Honda Accord puts out when it's running down the road at 60 mph (100 kph).

It's also simply true that modern solar cells are more than ten times as effective at converting sunlight directly to electricity than the late-70s solar cells were.

Obviously (to me, and to you when you're not drunk) the solution is more engineering and more research on all fronts simultaneously. Research, both pure and applied, ALWAYS pays off massively. Research and engineering are the difference between a 1930 Ford Model A (1027 kg, 40 hp, 105 kph top speed, 13.4 mpg) and a 2020 Honda Civic (1100 kg, 158 hp, 200+ kph top speed, 35 mpg).

The materials needed for batteries and components of electrical devices, from phones to trucks, can be acquired with far less environmental effect than they are currently.

In any solution for applying energy to do what we want to do, cost (short and long term), environmental effects, and efficiency should be the relevant considerations, and research, engineering, and regulation should be the tools.

I'm willing to argue any of those, and any given product or project. But I'm pretty much done with people whose only contribution is to bray for or against "fossil" or "green" as a religion (defined as an overarching, emotional good or ill that the interlocutor nails her self-worth to).

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
NVMD. You seem to have a problem following my point and I am not going to try explaining it to you.

You were saying that they were just looking for a tax and Carbon was it, no it was a targeted tax to support the Paris accord to transfer wealth out of industrialized countries to poor countries under the guise of Carbon pollution and Climate Change. The best way to do this was to artificially increase the price of fuel, collect wealth for transfer, and to support the Green industry which has no way of supporting itself right now because it is too expensive to stand alone.

Two birds one stone

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Somethings simply can't be made without fossil fuels. ICE engines are still progressing in leaps and bounds in efficiency. If ICE tech were standing still it would be far easier for green to catch up.
As it stands an ICE is still 20% "greener" than an EV based on carbon inputs.
Example. Manufacturing of an EV battery equals 8 years of operating an ICE vehicle but only has a 5 year life span. That gap is widening not closing.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Why can't you just answer a post like a grown person rather than a fukking idiot troll.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjACegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw244uFASsKneM-VYZY6dr0M
It's like you're looking in a mirror. . .

But just for you, I don't "favor" electric cars. I favor whatever solution transports the most cargo (including meatsacks) the greatest distance with the greatest convenience and does the least harm in the process. Sometimes that's trains, sometimes it's pipelines, sometimes it's trucks, sometimes it's busses, sometimes it's cars, sometimes it's bicycles or scooters.

Sometimes it's shoe leather.

When it's cars, I favor petroleum, hydrogen, electric, compressed-air, hybrid. and whatever the next big idea is. I had a Nissan Sentra that I swear was powered by two squirrels in a wheel. Whatever gets the job done best by the criteria above is what I favor.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'd be pickled tink if Canaduh had the rail system of days gone by. If you want to travel quickly plane is great but the train is by far the most comfortable and enjoyable way to travel.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Somethings simply can't be made without fossil fuels. ICE engines are still progressing in leaps and bounds in efficiency. If ICE tech were standing still it would be far easier for green to catch up.
As it stands an ICE is still 20% "greener" than an EV based on carbon inputs.
Example. Manufacturing of an EV battery equals 8 years of operating an ICE vehicle but only has a 5 year life span. That gap is widening not closing.
I agree if you add the caveat "at this point."

I recollect being on another board, musta been ten years or so back, when people were debating getting a smart car or other super-light car for local travel, and a bigger car for long-distance. I took them through an exercise that demonstrated it was pretty much a wash, and unless you were ready to run the smart car for 8-10 years, a net increase in resource use.