Guest Column: New vision for CRTC is dangerously radical

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Concern is growing over proposed changes to the federal approach to governing broadcasting in Canada.

After two days of almost baffling silence following the release of a report calling for sweeping changes to how – and over what – the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) exercises its regulatory powers, pundits and politicians are starting to sit up and spout about it.

Two former CRTC commissioners warn that the report’s vision is radical and far-reaching.

“It’s an enormous expansion of regulatory authority over speech,” said Timothy Denton, who specializes in technology law and was a national CRTC commissioner from 2008 to 2013. “Even if half or a quarter of (the report) is implemented with regards to the speech and licensing power, we’re in trouble.”

The critical shift would be to bring the Internet under the authority of the CRTC, which would be renamed the Canadian Communications Commission. Currently, the commission regulates TV and radio signals, as well as phones and phone lines.

That’s a problem for Peter Menzies, who served as CRTC vice-chairman of telecommunications. Menzies believes the report’s recommendations have the very real potential to limit how freely Canadians can access the Internet and what content they’ll be able to find when they do.

“The Internet is not another form of broadcast,” he says. “It’s a way speech is communicated between Canadians. It’s (like) your phone line, and what’s being proposed is as if the government suddenly began regulating what you can say on your phone, how often and to who.”

He cites as an example the way even the current federal broadcast regulations govern religious programming – limiting the number of licences available, what can or can’t be said and the approach that must be taken to other faiths.

“If you have a religious website, will you want to be told you can only provide certain kinds of content for so many hours a day, or that you have to give space to alternative religious views? Those are exactly the rules in place for religious broadcasting.”

The same “logical failure” would affect all other forms of Internet content, Menzies notes. Under the proposals, even global content giants such as Facebook and Twitter would be regulated as though they’re equivalent to a small-town afternoon radio talk show.

In Denton’s words, the very idea of “licensing” the Internet the way radio and TV are now licensed in Canada means obtaining “speech by permission” of the government. That regulatory power becomes doubly dark indeed, Denton says, when factoring in the report’s call for CRTC control of news sites and what it refers to as “alphanumeric content” – what the rest of us call written words.

“If you and I set up (a website) and people come to us for interviews, are we news? Would we be subject to licensing? Would we be subject to heavy fines? And all this would now depend not on a law, but on the political majority operating within the (CRTC) at a given time. There would be nothing preventing (interview content) that concerns politics or cultural or social affairs from being declared regulatable by (government),” Denton says. Heritage Minister Steven Guilbeault initially said there might be two sets of licensing requirements for news sites based on size. Global giants such as Facebook would be treated more stringently than would small Canadian media outlets.

But he has now walked back his words, insisting: “Our government has no intention to impose licensing requirements on news organizations, nor will we try to regulate news content.”

But that’s small comfort to critics such as Menzies and Denton. They’ve spent enough time within the Ottawa regulatory world to know how dangerous ideas can disappear for several years before re-emerging as fully formed monstrosities.

Denton says only a vigorous public debate, engaged by all players including ordinary net users, can see the thing off properly.

“The only way these things are ever stopped is by people waking up to what is being proposed – and opposing it,” he says. “I will only feel safe when it is dead and buried.”

medicinehatnews.com/commentary/opinions/2020/02/12/guest-column-new-vision-for-crtc-is-dangerously-radical/

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
But that’s small comfort to critics such as Menzies and Denton. They’ve spent enough time within the Ottawa regulatory world to know how dangerous ideas can disappear for several years before re-emerging as fully formed monstrosities.

All you have to do is look at taxing the air in this country to see this in action. Stephan Dion 2008 and his "Green Shift Carbon tax Plan"....Canadians were staunchly opposed to it and loudly rejected it outright. Trudeau 2018 and his "Price on carbon pollution"...Liberal and progressive Canadians rejoice in being taxed more for heating their homes, driving, living. Problem is...it's not the government, it's the people who don't seem to be quite astute enough to know a government scam and Orwellian repressive policy when they see it.

.Denton says only a vigorous public debate, engaged by all players including ordinary net users, can see the thing off properly.

The only way these things are ever stopped is by people waking up to what is being proposed – and opposing it,” he says. “I will only feel safe when it is dead and buried.”
This will never happen in today's Canada. The Liberals 600 million dollar media payoff came about prior to the last election...a majority of Canadians voted in support of this when they voted for Trudeau, why would they now oppose it?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Control the message. Control the content. Control the information. That's the the kind of shit China and North Korea do. We're becoming North Chinorea.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
All you have to do is look at taxing the air in this country to see this in action. Stephan Dion 2008 and his "Green Shift Carbon tax Plan"....Canadians were staunchly opposed to it and loudly rejected it outright. Trudeau 2018 and his "Price on carbon pollution"...Liberal and progressive Canadians rejoice in being taxed more for heating their homes, driving, living. Problem is...it's not the government, it's the people who don't seem to be quite astute enough to know a government scam and Orwellian repressive policy when they see it.

This will never happen in today's Canada. The Liberals 600 million dollar media payoff came about prior to the last election...a majority of Canadians voted in support of this when they voted for Trudeau, why would they now oppose it?
I doubt the majority of those who voted for the liberals had a single thought for anything but seeing the continuation of the virtue-signalling government, Dec. If they had used their brains instead of relying on their emotions they might have given some thought to just what that would mean for our society. That the popular vote was won by the Conservatives and the liberals were held to a minority gives me some hope that THINKING Canadians will indeed stand up against this type of intrusion.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
If they had used their brains instead of relying on their emotions they might have given some thought to just what that would mean for our society.

THIS is why our country is doomed. You and I are on the same page, the only difference is that you have optimistic hope that Canadians en masse are going to suddenly wake up and achieve a functional level of intelligence....and I do not. Hard to wake people when they're steadfastly and unshakably convinced they're already woke.

That the popular vote was won by the Conservatives and the liberals were held to a minority gives me some hope that THINKING Canadians will indeed stand up against this type of intrusion.

You know I hate to stifle your optimism, but the last election we had an incumbent Liberal leader who:
....was found guilty of multiple ethics violations
....declared he was a devout feminist after being caught groping a reporter and then justifying it by saying that she experienced it differently than he did.
....fired two of his strongest female MP's because they wouldn't stoop to his corrupt level.
....interfered politically in a judicial matter to save 9000 Quebec jobs while passing legislation designed and intended to systematically destroy the Western economy.
....Who tried to destroy a decorated and distinguished admiral's career and reputation for simply trying to procure assets for this country.
....Accused virtually everyone who disagreed with him as a racist while dancing around in blackface with a banana shoved down the front of his shorts..
....Completely embarrassed this country that he's supposed to represent by flying over to India uninvited, playing dressup, dancing around, and fake praying... appropriating their culture and deeply insulting both them and us.

BUT....Andrew Scheer wasn't a suitable or acceptable leader for this country because he wouldn't walk in a pride parade and he said he worked in an accounting office one time.

I'm sorry, I just do not share your hope and optimism that people in this country are going to suddenly wake up and get real.

Last edited:

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
THIS is why our country is doomed. You and I are on the same page, the only difference is that you have optimistic hope that Canadians en masse are going to suddenly wake up and achieve a functional level of intelligence....and I do not. Hard to wake people when they're steadfastly and unshakably convinced they're already woke.

You know I hate to stifle your optimism, but the last election we had an incumbent Liberal leader who:
....declared he was a devout feminist after being caught groping a reporter and then justifying it by saying that she experienced it differently than he did.
....fired two of his strongest female MP's because they wouldn't stoop to his corrupt level.
....interfered politically in a judicial matter to save 9000 Quebec jobs while passing legislation designed and intended to systematically destroy the Western economy.
....Who tried to destroy a decorated and distinguished admiral's career and reputation for simply trying to procure assets for this country.
....Accused virtually everyone who disagreed with him as a racist while dancing around in blackface with a banana shoved down the front of his shorts..
....Completely embarrassed this country that he's supposed to represent by flying over to India uninvited, playing dressup, dancing around, and fake praying... appropriating their culture and deeply insulting both them and us.

BUT....Andrew Scheer wasn't a suitable or acceptable leader for this country because he wouldn't walk in a pride parade and he said he worked in an accounting office one time.

I'm sorry, I just do not share your hope and optimism that people in this country are going to suddenly wake up and get real.

Oh Decapoda........................

are you familiar with that old phrase: "Enlightened self interest"??????????????????

That is what is going to bring Our idiot Boy and his loser LIE-berals DOWN - EVENTUALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The more bribe money Our idiot Boy hands out to buy votes.............................

the higher that taxes go...............................

and the more people he pisses off with those high taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the more gravy he needs to buy off the newly pissed off................................

the LESS GRAVY there is available for his existing support group of HOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our idiot Boy is trying to built the financial equvalent of a perpetual motion machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only he can borrow enough money to make Cdns forget about other parties and become devoted LIE-berals - FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!

But nothing lasts forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The supply of borrowed gravy is nearly GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Civil service union HOG patience is wearing a thin as the reduced fat gravy they are getting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The general public is becoming infuriated by the rail blockades and by the carbon tax SCAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-beral ability to BUY POLITICAL PEACE is withering like snow in July in Toronto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had predicted that Our idiot Boy and his minority govt would survive until spring 2021.........................

but the mounting rage over pipelines and road blocks might tip the scale SOONER THAN I EXPECTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The idiot Boy MIGHT be gone this spring..........................

if he spends much more time out of the country - hiding in Africa and Bahamas.........................

while the country STEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The number of people currently being HUGELY INCONVENIENCED is growing exponentially!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a lot of people - who dont normally vote - may just decide the idiot BOY HAS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our idiot Boy will LOSE VOTES if he shuts down the protestors..........................

and he will lose votes if he DOES NOT shut down the protestors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The idiot Boy IS CAUGHT and his future IS NOT BRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course this does not necessarily translate into a Conservative victory..........................

only that it leads to an IDIOTS DEFEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I doubt the majority of those who voted for the liberals had a single thought for anything

That is really all you needed to post.
CRTC is another bunch of mostly useless bureaucraps hell bent on enlarging their influence where it isn't wanted.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

No need to be sorry, Dec. As I see what is happening in our country right now where illegal blockades and mobs of the ignorant hold our country to hostage, I'm beginning to believe that you have a much better grasp of the situation.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
I doubt the majority of those who voted for the liberals had a single thought for anything

That is really all you needed to post.
CRTC is another bunch of mostly useless bureaucraps hell bent on enlarging their influence where it isn't wanted.

Oh..............I am sorry...........................I must disagree with you and correct you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The people who voted for LIE-berals were ENTIRELY FOCUSED.......................

ON THE GRAVY THEY EXPECTED LIE-berals to grab for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017

You'll note that Mr McKay has already promised to march in Pride parades.

Also what Mr Scheer lied about was being an insurance broker when he was actually an agent.

Also, Mr Scheer managed to hide that fact of his dual citizenship until a couple of weeks prior to the election, when it became known that he is actually eligible for the American draft - should one occur.

Ouch.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Notice the plural. So I guess spewing out the GHGs is fine with you as long as you're traveling the country attending everyone's Pride Parade. Because that's an important use of fossil fuels if I ever heard one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
because people drive cars in parades?
F*ck yer clueless.How do you think McKay would GET to those Pride Parades from Ottawa. The same way Groper does, flying. Seems wee bit disingenuous to waste fuel and generate GHGs to fly to this Pride event and that Pride event while being a carbon taxing asshole.

Aren't you sick of hypocritical douchebag politicians whose lifestyles don't come anywhere close to matching their climate alarmism? Or have you not yet reached that level of critical thought yet.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017

Also what Mr Scheer lied about was being an insurance broker when he was actually an agent.

Also, Mr Scheer managed to hide that fact of his dual citizenship until a couple of weeks prior to the election, when it became known that he is actually eligible for the American draft - should one occur.

Ouch.

POOR foolish hemerHOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He HAS NOT NOTICED - because he is too busy hunting up mud to throw............................

that Scheer IS WELL PAST being of an age for the draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for his time as insurance agent - HE DID WORK IN THAT INSURANCE OFFICE.........................

or do you want to suggest he sat around making stupid hemerHOID style internet remarks all day??????????????

HOW SAD that hemerHOID would much rather discuss ANCIENT Scheer employment history.........................

and IGNORE Red Chinese and LIE-beral RACISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Consider:::::::::::::::::::::

Here is an article exposing LIE-beral bigotry and Chinese propaganda!! With some comments of my own in brackets):

B.C. newspaper's coronavirus headline called out for racial discrimination

From CBC/Radio-Canada

Published February 7, 2020

The consul general of China in Vancouver is demanding an apology from a local newspaper for publishing a front page headline she says is discriminatory and unprofessional.

(The spokes person for the Beijing Butchers should be told to STUFF IT!!!!!!!!!!)

On Wednesday, the Province newspaper ran a front page headline that read, "2nd China Virus Case in B.C."

(So TELLING THE TRUTH is bigoted according to Soviet Beijing Butchers?? And why should we CARE what they think??????????????)

The headline referred to a second case of novel coronavirus reported by health officials in the Metro Vancouver area.

In an interview with the CBC — the first English media outlet with whom she has spoken about this issue — Chinese Consul General Tong Xiaoling questioned why the Province chose to refer to the novel coronavirus as a "China virus," rather than using scientific terminology.

(Frankly - I think most Cdns WOULD PREFER to refer to “Wuhan Virus” since that is where it came from and where most of the sick are located!! But one can understand the confusion of the Chinese Consul - as a Soviet propagandist - he will have little experience of people who talk back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Tong said the wording carried a "tone of racial discrimination," and called it irresponsible and unprofessional.

"This is a time of international solidarity, international cooperation," she said in an interview with Stephen Quinn, host of The Early Edition.

(Oh sure - cooperation to help China ONLY!! The RED China economy was suffering BEFORE Wuhan Virus thanks to the trade war that Beijing Butchers provoked with Trump!! And now things are EVEN WORSE as entire cities get quarantined in a BELATED ATTEMPT to halt the disease spread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

"So it needs the concerted efforts by the international community, by all the countries concerned, to fight against this epidemic. This is not a time for targeting a particular country or for inviting stigma into society."

(What is in a name?? Other than the fate of Chinese military AGGRESSION!! Beijing BADLY NEEDS western cash if it is to grow its military and successfully THREATEN its neighbours!! And Beijing is badly upset over public reaction to the death of the Chinese doctor who was PUNISHED for warning of the approaching Wuhan epidemic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(In other news - shameless Cdn virtue signalling LIE-berals chastised “racist” Cdns for suggesting that people who had travelled recently to Hubei province generally or to the city of Wuhan specifically - should be in “voluntary” quarantine for 2 weeks!! But that was then - and now as the disease spreads - LIE-berals ARE ADVOCATING “self quarantine” or travellers from Hubei and Wuhan!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Harold Munro, editor-in-chief of the Vancouver Sun and the Province, said referring to the novel coronavirus as the "China virus" was a way to geographically locate the origin of the virus, not to discriminate.

"I have certainly spoken with and heard from many people who felt the words 'China virus' in a headline could encourage racism against the community, and so for that, I do apologize," Munro told Jason D'Souza, guest host of On the Coast.

(Call it what it is - kow-towing to Beijing Butchers over the WUHAN VIRUS!! After all we now know the virus very likely ORIGINATED in a cave outside Wuhan - with the disease carrier being fruit bats living in the cave - fruit bats that are part of the MEAL MENU of local Chinese in Wuhan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(China seems NOT NEARLY so worried about “racism” as it is about slowing trade and about public reaction to a video of a Wuhan citizen in a restaurant - chowing down on one of the probably diseased fruit bats -just before the virus appeared in that city!!!)

"It was certainly not our intention to do that or to give the virus a new name."
a close up of a newspaper: On Feb.5, The Province newspaper published a front page headline that sparked backlash from some in the local Chinese-Canadian community.© CBC On Feb.5, The Province newspaper published a front page headline that sparked backlash from some in the local Chinese-Canadian community.

(In related news -THE ONLY CDNS who currently are infected with Wuhan Virus are those WHO SPENT TIME IN Wuhan - or are LIVING WITH travellers who have been to Wuhan- most of them being ethnic Chinese!! The Wuhan Emperor HAS NO CLOTHES to hide the logical geographic connection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Asked whether any Chinese-Canadian journalists are a part of his editorial team, Munro said yes, but noted he has not sought feedback from them about the headline in question.

Munro also said he is "not as interested" in hearing from the Chinese consul general. However, he stressed that he does apologize to the local Chinese-Canadian community for causing any hurt, and that he will not be using those words again in any headlines out of "respect for local sensibilities."

(DAMN local sensibilities - in the latest news - as of February 11, 2020 - the Wuhan Virus is now considered to have the ability to INFECT OVER SIXTY PERCENT of the population of the planet - IF IT IS NOT CONTAINED!!!!!!!!!!!)

(Populations in Africa and assorted third world countries- where medical resources are already strained - are considered to be most vulnerable to being HARDEST HIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

In related news -the rapidly multiplying number of infections on cruise ships represents a MASSIVE SOURCE of new infection!! It is all very well to quarantine the wealthy passengers - but thus far NOBODY is paying much attention to the ships CREWS - who are living 2 to 4 in cabins that are set below the waterline without natural light or ventelation and with 4 crew sharing each bathroom, and eating at communal tables with dozens of others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(The UGLY REALITY is that the ship crews are in FAR MORE DANGER than the passengers they are serving!! And the best the crews can hope for if they fall ill - is that they will be taken ashore to a Japanese or Western hospital - instead of being shipped back to the inadequate care of their third world home country!!!!!!)

(The latest news -as of February 11, 2020, suggest the Wuhan Virus has a long way to run yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(In other news - the COST of the Wuhan Virus may be the tipping point that wrecks the LIE-beral minority govt mess in Ottawa - as govt tax gravy is eroded by the slowing economy -thus crippling LIE-beral efforts to BUY VOTES and salvage their minority govt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(Harper cleaned up the Chretien LIE-beral MESS- so what might it cost to get him back to clean up the Trudope LIE-beral mess??????????????)