Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Not so 'Lonesome?' Galápagos tortoise subspecies thought extinct lives on.

Famed Galápagos tortoise Lonesome George's subspecies might not be extinct after all — researchers are calling the discovery of a surviving female relative "a story of hope" that the giant creature's legacy lives on.
When Lonesome George, the last known specimen of his kind who was estimated to be more than 100 years old, died in 2012, it marked the extinction of his Chelonoidis abingdonii subspecies.
But now, conservationists working on Ecuador's Galápagos Islands have discovered a young female tortoise that is partially related to Lonesome George.

The conservationists also retrieved 11 male tortoises and 18 other female tortoises from Wolf Volcano. These were found to be partially related to the Chelonoidis niger species from Floreana Island that was also considered extinct.
The discoveries could be enough to rewrite the extinction status of the Floreana species, according to Barry.
"I think we are cautiously optimistic that this is a species that we will be able to bring back from extinction and we can repopulate Floreana with tortoises that have significant Floreana lineage," she said.
It's too soon to know if the same can be said about the Pinta Island species, but Barry added that the existence of the female tortoise suggests other Pinta Island descendants could inhabit the region around Wolf Volcano.
The expedition was part of the Giant Tortoise Restoration Initiative, a joint venture between the Galapagos Conservancy and the Galapagos National Park Directorate. The 30 tortoises collected during the recent excursion have been transferred to a breeding center on Santa Cruz Island, where scientists will evaluate whether they will join captive breeding programs.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A Rescued Green Turtle Pooped Out Plastic Trash For Weeks

Unless you’ve been living under a soda bottle for the past couple of years, you’ll no doubt be aware that plastic pollution has become a worrying scourge on our planet’s oceans.
In the latest grim illustration of this problem, a sea turtle has been rescued after being found with a belly full of plastic. While the turtle is now on the mend, vets say it spent the past month pooping out over 13 grams (0.5 ounces) of nylon bags, netting, and an assortment of other plastic trash.
The green turtle was caught in a fishers' net off the coast of the Argentine capital Buenos Aires on December 29, 2019. After being passed onto experts at Mundo Marino Foundation, an Argentina-based conservation group, it was revealed that the turtle had a worrying amount of plastics stuck in its digestive tract.
“Through radiographic images, we could see foreign bodies inside. Therefore, we started a treatment with a medication that increases peristaltic movements (movements of the digestive tract) and allows it to excrete what we saw in the images," Ignacio Peña, a veterinarian at the Foundation, said in a statement.

More: https://www.iflscience.com/plants-a...een-turtle-pooped-out-plastic-trash-for-weeks
Just like the starving albatross on TV that feed it's chick plastic.

Correct me if I'm wrong but dont birds swallow shit to help with digestion then puke it up later? Do turtles do the same?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
" Nature has an eloquent way of restoring equilibrium and balance to populations whose numbers threaten the overall health of the land. I think people forget just how much insane effort and global violence and manic suffering it takes to delay Nature in delivering this balance to us. Personally, I think an anarcho-primitivist solution or simply, tribes, is the only one that I’ve heard that doesn’t engage us in a war against the earth, a war we can’t win and don’t even really want to!" - Gumby Montgomery.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
" Nature has an eloquent way of restoring equilibrium and balance to populations whose numbers threaten the overall health of the land. I think people forget just how much insane effort and global violence and manic suffering it takes to delay Nature in delivering this balance to us. Personally, I think an anarcho-primitivist solution or simply, tribes, is the only one that I’ve heard that doesn’t engage us in a war against the earth, a war we can’t win and don’t even really want to!" - Gumby Montgomery.
And I thought Pokey was the brains.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

REI Presents: Everything to Lose by Pattie Gonia

Watch the full documentary "Dear Mother Nature": https://youtu.be/8Yfk0vvVIoU “Everything to Lose” features a spoken word poem by Pattie Gonia that calls people to reflect on the impacts their actions have on Mother Nature (or as Pattie says, "Mother Natch"). Now is the time to change our behaviors and take positive action.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Watch the full documentary "Dear Mother Nature": https://youtu.be/8Yfk0vvVIoU “Everything to Lose” features a spoken word poem by Pattie Gonia that calls people to reflect on the impacts their actions have on Mother Nature (or as Pattie says, "Mother Natch"). Now is the time to change our behaviors and take positive action.

Looks as though the Corona virus maybe helping you out a little Cliffy, have you organized a rally to meet all that returned from China yet and thank them for their sacrifice? Make sure to shake their hands

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

'The Turning Point' explores the destruction of the environment, climate change and species extinction from different perspective. Music by Wantaways.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Elite shit.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
David Attenborough says he's always careful around animals.

Pity his brother wasn't when he opened Jurassic Park