Martin Luther: The Man Who Rediscovered God and Changed the World

By: Eric Metaxas

Fascinating.

The man that changed the world.

Changed my view of him entirely.

evright

Jan 21, 2019
Vancouver
Last year I read a lot of books, but most of all I remember one - The Laws of Human Nature by Robert Green. The book is devoted to explaining the complex and sometimes irrational behavior of a person - his inclinations, deep-seated motives, dark sides, mistakes and everything that makes us what we are. It was recommended to me by a friend who wrote as essay writer a small research based on this book on the subject of human behavior in society in general.

Rose Upshur

Jul 15, 2019
In fact, I have soooo many books that I have to read. I am reading Twilight now, by Stephenie Meyer. I never would have thought that at 22 years for me this series of books would still be relevant. Not that I liked, just recently pulled on the franchise. I read Harry Potter to the holes, so I got to the rest, so to speak, classics of the genre. Divergent, Veronica Roth, Death Guns, Cassandra Claire, Vampire Chronicles, Anne Rice, Timeless, Kerstin Gere, Wizards, Leo Grossman. This is what's next on my list. And that in my list number 2, that's another story ...

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I like the joke:

"You don't have to cast roe very far to catch a trout"

It's a short read.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Melinda Sanders-Jones. (CBS 17/YouTube)
HAVE OVERDUE LIBRARY BOOKS? GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL!
If you have some overdue library books, there’s a chance you might get arrested for it.
That happened to Melinda Sanders-Jones of Charlotte, Mich., who claims there’s an arrest warrant out for her thanks to some late returns.
The woman told WILX she remembered taking out two books in 2017 but didn’t know she didn’t return them until she went to a library a few months back. Sanders-Jones was denied access to a printer because she didn’t return the books.
The mother of five said she asked her then-fiance to check their son’s bookshelf, which is where the books sat. She then went home, grabbed the overdue books and returned to the library to hand them back, expecting some sort of late fee.
Sanders-Jones didn’t know about an arrest warrant out for her until her boss discovered it while doing a background check. A library spokesperson told WILX the library sent out late notices, which the woman never received.
The woman was charged with failure to return rental property, which has a maximum penalty of 93 days in jail and a $500 fine if convicted.
Sanders-Jones is awaiting her next court date in hopes of getting the charges dropped. She said she can’t work for her employer until the case is settled.
http://wilx.com/content/news/Charlotte-woman-gets-warrant-for-late-library-books-564246981.html

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
I have never read it but always wanted to so I picked up a copy of Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. I've seen all the movie adaptations of this book including the original with Robert Blake as Perry Smith and Scott Wilson (shocked me that it's the same Scott Wilson who played Hershel in The Walking Dead) as Dick Hickock. But for me "Capote" starring Philip Seymour Hoffnam as Capote himself, was by far the best one.

The book is a classic, I'm hoping it's good.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Cilka's Journey by Heather Morris. An excellent account of a girl's ordeal in the concentration camp in Poland and 15 years in the Gulag in northern Russia. It would be excellent reading for anyone who discounts the cruelty to the Jews during and before and after W.W. 2. Those assholes deserve the same sentence!

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
Cilka's Journey by Heather Morris. An excellent account of a girl's ordeal in the concentration camp in Poland and 15 years in the Gulag in northern Russia. It would be excellent reading for anyone who discounts the cruelty to the Jews during and before and after W.W. 2. Those assholes deserve the same sentence!

I have a book of hers on my to read list, The Tattooist of Auschwitz.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I have never read it but always wanted to so I picked up a copy of Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. I've seen all the movie adaptations of this book including the original with Robert Blake as Perry Smith and Scott Wilson (shocked me that it's the same Scott Wilson who played Hershel in The Walking Dead) as Dick Hickock. But for me "Capote" starring Philip Seymour Hoffnam as Capote himself, was by far the best one.

The book is a classic, I'm hoping it's good.
I read it before I saw either movie and found it a great background source for all the material not covered in the movies. Gives you a real insight into the minds of both men.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Just finished reading Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. It is a fictional account of the true story around the infamous Vel' d' Hiv' roundup of Jews in Paris by French police acting on orders from the German Gestapo on July 16, 1942. On that day over 13,000 Jewish men, women and children were rounded up and thrown into the Velodrome d'Hiver (shortened to Vel' d'Hiv') which was a indoor stadium used for bicycle races, boxing matches and other events. They had no food, no water and one bathroom. It was hot and people were so crammed that many were forced to stand ...............for six long days until the buses came to take them to the trains for deportation to the camps. It wasn't until 1995 that French President Jacques Chirac finally acknowledged Frances complicity in the atrocity. It is a great read JLM.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I read the book "Night" once upon a time. Now, having seen actual pictures, I feel I was cohned.

In the book Night, what is tattooed on Elie's arm?

Elie's serial number tattoo is A-7713.

Towards the end of chapter 3, Elie describes how he was assigned to work in Block 17 and was tattooed on his left arm as a form of identification shortly after being assigned a work location. Elie mentions that the SS guards lined the prisoners up while three other prisoners brought over a table with some medical instruments. Elie and the other prisoners were told to roll up their left sleeves, and the three prisoners tattooed their arms. Elie is tattooed with the serial number A-7713 on his left arm.

Interestingly, prisoners were only tattooed at the Auschwitz concentration camp complex during the Holocaust.
https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/book-night-what-tattooed-elies-arm-556579

However, on a few occasions he must have forgotten and did allow himself to be photographed with bare arms, so we do have a few photos of this part of his anatomy—but with no tattoo visible at all! When asked to comment on that fact, not only Mr. Wiesel, but Mrs. Wiesel, and all Wiesel’s friends and business and academic associates remain totally silent. Even Oprah Winfrey has said nothing about it. This is not a reasonable way to behave.

Now put together the above with the knowledge that Wiesel’s entire fabulous career, success and wealth (including the Nobel Peace Prize and other coveted awards) is dependent on his being Auschwitz prisoner A7713, and you easily see the crucial importance it has for him. There is no debate about it. A7713 is essential to Wiesel’s life story and the prestige and book sales he enjoys today.

Even with all that at stake, he won’t show it to anyone.

This can only be interpreted as an admission that he doesn’t have it. And he knows it. He knows that he has admitted by default that he does not have that tattoo (and therefore is not who he says he is) but he obviously prefers not to say so. He will keep the charade going as long as he lives

As reported in the Dayton Daily News , one student asked Wiesel if he still has his concentration camp number and if it serves as a reminder of those terrible experiences. "I don’t need that to remember, I think about my past every day," he responded. "But I still have it on my arm – A7713. At that time, we were numbers. No names, no identity.
https://www.eliewieseltattoo.com/the-evidence/photographic-evidence/

So, I just read "Auschwitz: The Underground Guided Tour" by Carolyn Yeager
https://www.amazon.com/Auschwitz-Underground-Guided-Carolyn-2010-05-03/dp/B01FIXD0XW#customerReviews

Cognitive dissonance IS a thing in the ol' slave bizness. Just ask the Libyans.
;)
...or maybe more recently, Pompeo.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"From the Ashes" by Jesse Thistle...……………………….True story on how severe adversity can be overcome!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"Long Way Home" by Cameron Douglas...………..The author is the grandson of Kirk Douglas, relating his life as a drug addict and major distributor, who spent over 7 years in prison and his hard struggle to redeem himself and regain a productive life.