Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Prog shit.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Stephen Hawking: Greed And Stupidity Are What Will End The Human Race
Near the time of his death, the late Stephen Hawking remained convinced that the human race would require a “Planet B” if the species hoped to continued its existence.
Hawking believed that climate change would be humanity's extinction event.
Via BBC:
"We are close to the tipping point where global warming becomes irreversible. Trump's action could push the Earth over the brink, to become like Venus, with a temperature of two hundred and fifty degrees, and raining sulphuric acid," he told BBC News.
"Climate change is one of the great dangers we face, and it's one we can prevent if we act now."
More: https://mavenroundtable.io/theintel...ill-end-the-human-race-xNA9_p9ZkEubbQPb3BBh6A
Prog shit.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

The new generations may not even know, but older people will surely remember that up until some 20 years ago any car trip meant a windshield covered in dead insects, smashed by the impact.
However, nowadays that doesn't happen so much.
It may sound great news—after all, who doesn't like to travel with a clean windshield? But what does it really mean? Doesn't that tell you anything?
Scientists associate the dramatic decline in insect populations with industrial agricultural practices, especially habitat destruction and pesticide use. That decline, besides being a tragedy by itself, also affects the whole terrestrial ecosystems, such as the birds', reptiles' and amphibians' diet, pollination, etc.
The collapse of the insect populations may be the foretoken of the collapse of the terrestrial ecosystems.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/10/plummeting-insect-numbers-threaten-collapse-of-nature
thepermaculturealternative.wordpress.com

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

The new generations may not even know, but older people will surely remember that up until some 20 years ago any car trip meant a windshield covered in dead insects, smashed by the impact.
However, nowadays that doesn't happen so much.
It may sound great news—after all, who doesn't like to travel with a clean windshield? But what does it really mean? Doesn't that tell you anything?
Scientists associate the dramatic decline in insect populations with industrial agricultural practices, especially habitat destruction and pesticide use. That decline, besides being a tragedy by itself, also affects the whole terrestrial ecosystems, such as the birds', reptiles' and amphibians' diet, pollination, etc.
The collapse of the insect populations may be the foretoken of the collapse of the terrestrial ecosystems.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/10/plummeting-insect-numbers-threaten-collapse-of-nature
thepermaculturealternative.wordpress.com
Such crap. Every summer my windshield get hit with lots of bugs.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

'The Turning Point' explores the destruction of the environment, climate change and species extinction from different perspective. Music by Wantaways.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Rest Of Earth’s Inhabitants Vote To Phase Out People By The Year 2040

NEWARK – In a move that has been expected by everyone other than humans for quite some time, the rest of life on Earth today voted to do what has to be done to save the planet, deciding in a unanimous decision to phase out people over the next 20 years.
The consensus was reached at the 3,487,562,490th annual global convention for multi-cellular organisms – an event that humans have been invited to but have yet to attend; citing an obscure religious text that they believe provides them with dominion over everything, but which is unrecognized by the rest of the planet’s co-occupants.
“I will not lie,” said a large bear, rising in the small hotel conference room just outside of Newark, New Jersey, which the flora and fauna have had to rent the past few years after finding their natural habitats decimated by the preternaturally destructive people.
“The surplus of garbage and warmer winters have been nice. But I can no longer lick a creek without tasting the mercury, and even now my bowels contain parts of a large yogurt container, three pairs of Ray Bans, a Nokia, and a small figurine I believe was originally meant to resemble the popular television character ‘Peppa Pig,’ but now just looks like a very large wad of gum with legs.
“In any event,” the bear continued, after biting into a complimentary donut. “My home has been logged, my rivers dammed, and my photo taken – badly I might add – without my permission. The people must go. I speak for all bears. As well as our cousins the raccoons, who were unable to attend this year’s meeting due to being deeply embedded in the human tribe, awaiting the order to eat all of the people’s car keys, thus beginning the end of their species.”
The bear’s speech earned a sustained round of applause/splashing/fluttering from all those present, and many of the creatures said it was the best address made in an assembly since the last of the dinosaurs delivered a scathing indictment of 10-kilometre wide asteroids, and the carnage that they bring.
But the plan to phase out humans was not without its dissenters.
“I for one have loved my masters,” said a small Shih Tzu, trying to pull off a look of deep gravitas, despite having his bangs gathered into a simply adorable topknot.
“Jesus Balto, would you listen to yourself,” shouted a wolf from the back of the room. “Masters? What the hell is wrong with you? You used to be noble animals. Now you bark at your own shadow, do tricks for treats, and wear pashmina sweaters. You’re basically Piers Morgan. Why don’t you just grow a pair? Oh right. I’m sorry. I forgot.”
Looking to pivot away from the ugly scene of the Shih Tzu trying to get its shit tzugether, a large bull elephant turned to another animal that was close to the humans, and had yet to offer an opinion.
“Cat, what say you?”
Cat blinked once and turned her gaze back into the room, from a window where she’d be idly wondering why the world is such a disgustingly messy place.
“What are we talking about?”
“The people. They’re destroying the planet and we think we need to get rid of them. You guys live with them. What do you think?”
“Oh yes,” Cat said, rolling her shoulders slightly, causing everyone to take a large step back. “Our position on that remains unchanged. **** ’em.”

https://outabouter.com/2019/04/11/r...nts-vote-to-phase-out-people-by-the-year-2040

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
A Rescued Green Turtle Pooped Out Plastic Trash For Weeks

Unless you’ve been living under a soda bottle for the past couple of years, you’ll no doubt be aware that plastic pollution has become a worrying scourge on our planet’s oceans.
In the latest grim illustration of this problem, a sea turtle has been rescued after being found with a belly full of plastic. While the turtle is now on the mend, vets say it spent the past month pooping out over 13 grams (0.5 ounces) of nylon bags, netting, and an assortment of other plastic trash.
The green turtle was caught in a fishers' net off the coast of the Argentine capital Buenos Aires on December 29, 2019. After being passed onto experts at Mundo Marino Foundation, an Argentina-based conservation group, it was revealed that the turtle had a worrying amount of plastics stuck in its digestive tract.
“Through radiographic images, we could see foreign bodies inside. Therefore, we started a treatment with a medication that increases peristaltic movements (movements of the digestive tract) and allows it to excrete what we saw in the images," Ignacio Peña, a veterinarian at the Foundation, said in a statement.

More: https://www.iflscience.com/plants-a...een-turtle-pooped-out-plastic-trash-for-weeks