What Do You Love About Canada? (And What Don't You Love?)

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The test of a good rum is if it burns for a long time with a nice, blue flame.
I'll bet you do that all the time with your secret 80 proof pocket bonuses from your sherry trips to the LCBO. I wonder: Will that heat the spoon, and get the crack pipe lit though?

Oh well, just think of the money and time you save skipping the cash register lines.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
LOL, you know there is a table top electric model "Air still" for a couple hundred bucks?
:)
about as complicated to use as a bread maker too...and a lot more fun.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What my brother and I used was all home-made....
Boiler was a dairy can, cooling coil was flexible copper tubing in another 10 gallon can with slowly running cold water...
All joints, screw type fittings.....no solder....
Propane burner under the dairy can and a thermometer in the lid to control the temperature of the boil, and tell us when all the alcohol was boiled out...
Now I don't remember what the temp limits were ...... it was so long ago....quite a few degrees below the boiling point of water...

As for a table top....Try Amazon.com.....They have a few models

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
what my brother and i used was all home-made....
Boiler was a dairy can, cooling coil was flexible copper tubing in another 10 gallon can with slowly running cold water...
All joints, screw type fittings.....no solder....
Propane burner under the dairy can and a thermometer in the lid to control the temperature of the boil, and tell us when all the alcohol was boiled out...
Now i don't remember what the temp limits were ...... It was so long ago....quite a few degrees below the boiling point of water...
As for a table top....try amazon.com.....they have a few models
172f

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
That old, smelly, bearded Canadian hillbilly is here in Syd's takeaway, sitting right next to me eating a burger or something talking to a 20-year-old guy about pagers and baseball. Is he stalking me? It's not anyone from this forum, is it?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That old, smelly, bearded Canadian hillbilly is here in Syd's takeaway, sitting right next to me eating a burger or something talking to a 20-year-old guy about pagers and baseball. Is he stalking me? It's not anyone from this forum, is it?

"Old, bearded, smelly Canadian hillbilly" is good. You should be equally classy by showing him some deference!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
"Old, bearded, smelly Canadian hillbilly" is good. You should be equally classy by showing him some deference!

Nah. I'm just hoping the smell of lamb biryani triumphs over the smell of a rotting carcass.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
He must be talking about Courious George . Went back to the motherland to find some talking points for trashing western independence.

NZDoug

Council Member
Jul 18, 2017
Big Bay, Awhitu, New Zealand
One thing I really miss about Canada is you can't get get Holbros horseradish here in NZ.
Only sweet gherkins, like in relishes and pickles.
Also no garlicky Kosher dills.
Shocking !
Bums me out.
Got a buddy from Toronto flying in at the end of the month who brings me these necessities.
Praise your God!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Wasabi. I pluck my own wild horseradish. Make your own pickles. Pickles are super easy to can and when the jar is empty add boiled eggs to the brine and wait a week.