Greta

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
We cannot simply exploit this planet and its natural environment; we have to take care of it. Scientists have been warning us for some time of the dangers we face with regard to our changing climate. Today, I really appreciate Greta Thunberg’s efforts to raise awareness of the need to take appropriate action. People like her are realistic. We should encourage them.

Dalai Lama

NZDoug

Council Member
Jul 18, 2017
Big Bay, Awhitu, New Zealand
Makes perfect sense. Get the usdful idiots to drive down the share price by falsely claiming their product is bad and then buy shares at rock bottom prices. Will the useful idiots be outraged that they have been used? Unlikely because they are idiots afterall.
Can't sleep cause my heads on fire.
Fires raging out of control in the Australian state of New South Wales (NSW) have merged into what firefighters dubbed a "mega fire", escalating the destruction of the country's worst fire season on record.

More than 2.1 million hectares (5.1 million acres) have been scorched, 688 homes destroyed, and six people killed since fires erupted across the state in September.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019...rned-australia-mega-fire-191208110512854.html
Both coasts off the South Island, NZ, are trashed by heavy rains, road and rail lines washed out, bridges gone.
Rescuing tourists via airlift......
"Hundreds of tourists are stranded on the West Coast, and on the other side of the South Island a flood-damaged bridge has closed State Highway 1, after a weekend of torrential rain.

The heavy rain battered much of the West Coast causing major slips on a 350 kilometre stretch of State Highway 6 between Hokitika and Haast, and most of the 970 tourists trapped in Franz Josef might have to remain there until Friday.

Major roads are closed on both sides of the South Island. Timaru District remains in a state of emergency with road access north to Christchurch blocked with the two bridges crossing the Rangitata River closed. Hundred of tourists were left scrambling to find accommodation in the region."
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12292007.............
What, me worry?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That pretty freaking weird. Who knew wood burned?

When did that start happening?

Which Ocean is causing the drought?

Does Greta know this?

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Makes perfect sense. Get the usdful idiots to drive down the share price by falsely claiming their product is bad and then buy shares at rock bottom prices. Will the useful idiots be outraged that they have been used? Unlikely because they are idiots afterall.
Straight from "The Unrestrained Capitalist's Bible"! :D (yes, it's a religion.)

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Wow....but that's politics just like the rest of the AGW Game....
EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt decreed that burning wood for energy will be treated as “carbon neutral,” meaning that it adds no CO2 to the atmosphere and falls into the same category of energy sources as solar and wind.Apr 25, 2018
Carbon neutral sounds like a major stretch, but wood burning can be less 'climate toxic' I should think, than mining and burning oil.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
It is also thoughtless, uncaring of outcomes and selfish.

The difference being that in general such events are well-planned and the public is made aware of streets that will be blocked, parade routes are defined and fireworks displays are contained in one area of which the public is also made aware - all well ahead of time.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well planned and public notified in advance makes a BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But of course protestors DO NOT GENERALLY GIVE ADVANCE WARNING ...................................

as their primary purpose is to make as much trouble for the public as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Wow....but that's politics just like the rest of the AGW Game....

EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt decreed that burning wood for energy will be treated as “carbon neutral,” meaning that it adds no CO2 to the atmosphere and falls into the same category of energy sources as solar and wind.Apr 25, 2018

If wood is OK, I can only assume that burning tires is carbon neutral as well.

I'm looking forward to doing may part and will burn many tires with a clear conscious and knowing that it is UN sanctioned and 'Greta-Approved'

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Good question but I don't know the answer. Would fracking and maybe groundwater contamination likely be involved?

Of course look at all the damage made by the 100's of thousands of wells already drilled. /s

Or maybe they can start using some of the reserves sitting dormant or uncap a developed well or 2 if needed

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Carbon neutral sounds like a major stretch, but wood burning can be less 'climate toxic' I should think, than mining and burning oil.

Wood burning is actually carbon neutral in the long run..................

the fact is that wood that rots releases virtually the same list of compounds.................

as wood that is burned.....................

the only real difference is that burned wood releases the compounds MUCH FASTER than rotting wood!!!!!!!!!!!!

That faster release of compounds - meaning a concentrated mass - from burning.................................

can be rather difficult for asthma sufferers as you would expect.................................

so LIE-berals object to wood burning in SMALL PART - for concern about asthma sufferers..........................

and IN Large PART - because they want the sales tax and income taxes that are paid for by companies like Enbridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of firewood cutters deal mostly in cash - hence the LIE-beral disdain for wood burning........................

and THE LOST OPPORTUNITIES FOR GOVT GRAVY from those under the table deals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An additional consideration for LIE-berals relates to using forests as carbon sinks............................

since trees soak up and hold carbon - and burning or rotting wood both releases carbon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A reduction on forested area would mean LESS OPPORTUNITY to fudge carbon absorption numbers.............................

which LIE-berals want to do to make their carbon tax SCAM LOOK BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Therefore - for very selfish reasons - LIE-berals have decreed that burning wood is Evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the other hand - some of the very most efficient wood burning/ heat producing designs.........................

CAME FROM SWEDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And our Swedish demon troll Greta has said NOTHING about burning wood............................

so it must be generally alright?????????????????????

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
How about burning "wood gas"?
;)
(YES! it's a thing.)
https://www.driveonwood.com/library/fema-gasifier/

You can run a truck or a tractor on it as well as burn for heat or light etc...

YEAH.................that technology dates back to WW2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can even set up a motorcycle with it as long as you have a side car to keep the machine level.........................

you WOULD NOT want to lean into a corner and end up with a pile of HOT COALS SLIDING INTO YOUR CROTCH!!!!!!!!!

That would give new meaning to the phrase "distracted driving"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just dont expect to have much range or hit highway speeds using it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Using those charcoal burners makes electric TOY cars look efficient and logical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You have to ferment the grain......it's a ten to 15 day process..... then distill it to make moonshine
Drink enough of it and you won't get cold....
You won't feel it anyways....
I haven't made a batch for a couple years. I think it's time.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If wood is OK, I can only assume that burning tires is carbon neutral as well.
I'm looking forward to doing may part and will burn many tires with a clear conscious and knowing that it is UN sanctioned and 'Greta-Approved'
Well, let's see how ...
When you burn wood, you release carbon compounds into the atmosphere. Growing seedlings and trees capture carbon from the atmosphere and incorporate it into their cells.

When you burn tires, newly planted tirelings thrive on the carbon, PCBs and carcinogenic combustion products that burning mature tires release into the atmosphere and the cycle is complete!

Works for me!