Advice to Conservatives: Think twice

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
So, which region does the Liberal Party represent? Just curious how it fits into your definition (whatever that is?) of a regional party...

To me, this map shows possibly more than just the divide of parties, but the divide of the TYPES of people for the parties.

Maritime Tories are not Western Tories and I don't think the Tories are the same in other provinces, either. Just like Liberals on the East Coast aren't BC or Yukon liberals.

I don't think you can go by the map either because what you're seeing is which party won, not the numbers of votes; so while, say my area went Liberal, second place was Green and the PC were a far back third. So though the Libs won here, Green had a super strong showing. Yet out in Alberta, say Calgary, Cons won huge majorities with Liberals coming in almost half as many votes second place.

But if you just look at the map without context, I think it might be said that the Liberals represent a varying degree of places across Canada, the Conservatives are mostly a Western Party, the NDP are semi-popular, the Bloc are obviously just for one Province and the Green are just patches of places.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
We must be reading two different maps.

I see most of Southern Ontario and significant sections of Southern Quebec painted Tory Blue. That is not even mentioning New Brunswick. Even excluding the GTA, Southern Ontario is rich in seats, so it's not like the support for Tories is non-existent there.

I think you're just not reading what I wrote.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Elaborate, please...

I said that Tories across Canada aren't the same Tories as you'll find in the West.

Maritime Tories, for example, aren't really like West Tories.

I doubt Ontario Tories or Quebec Tories are like the west, either.

That doesn't make them less Tories, it just means that their reasons for voting Tory might not be the same as why the West did so.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Serious question:
Have you been splitting percocets with Curious Cdn?
Anyone that can read a map, can see that the Liberals performed poorly outside Atlantic Canada and large Canadian metro areas. If this election were only based on rural Canadian ridings, the Conservatives would have a huge majority. Just look at how poorly the Liberals did in Western Canada outside Winnipeg and Vancouver. In fact, the Grits did not exactly win big in Quebec and Ontario outside the Capital region, Montreal, and the GTA.
Learn how to read maps.
I'm no fan of the liberals. The Conservatives lost that election. The Liberals didn't win it.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Liberals are strong everywhere in Canada. Always have been.
OK. Please ignore the map as it might be confusing I just look at the numbers. If the conservative party is strictly a western regional party and the Liberals are strong everywhere, why did the Liberals receive less votes than the conservatives?? How is that even possible with your definition of a western regional party or a regional party in general?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Oh come on...How is a guy supposed to even speak with his feet and some extra socks in his mouth?
:)

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
OK. Please ignore the map as it might be confusing I just look at the numbers. If the conservative party is strictly a western regional party and the Liberals are strong everywhere, why did the Liberals receive less votes than the conservatives?? How is that even possible with your definition of a western regional party or a regional party in general?
Take a look into the stats of this or any election.

You will find that in places where the liberals do not win they are typically in 2nd place.

that is what is meant by being strong everywhere.